Pathfinder General /pfg/

Pathfinder General /pfg/

Papa Asmo edition: Have you given praise to the dark prince today? What are you favorite evil gods and evil outsiders?

Unified /pfg/ link repository:pastebin.com/hAfKSnWW

Avowed Playtest 1:
drive.google.com/open?id=0B5HkyGRtGZy3SWVhdWFBWERWWjg
Avowed Playtest 2:docs.google.com/document/d/1rV7kaF9JL2gw9xQalkEnlEDL9WXtbsaCqNABm_pLIgc/edit?usp=sharing

Spheres of Might previews:
Part 1:docs.google.com/document/d/1aLaYQEFAWU4zQBx58boJPPaySLgJc0Emmw9eKyIJeGI/
Part 2:docs.google.com/document/d/1pyLq03W2ju58PcKOUq5YXoFowf_weBNzuWtjCMdINXk/edit
Part 3:docs.google.com/document/d/1-LAt9Ti5pcnvHY4KnFRuItCjqtGM-YJC5r_0zXiKKUk/edit

Old Thread:

Other urls found in this thread:

pastebin.com/SzEEm1u5
pastebin.com/eH4sU4CB
youtube.com/watch?v=ZS9kNLOP_h0&t=34s
twitter.com/AnonBabble

I know it's the source of a lot of cringe, but I can't help but enjoy the twisted fertility idol aspects.

>the game I applied to as a joke is turning out to be more fun than the one I've been in for more than a year
>can't really get into the old game even though I still like the characters, and I'm having a hard time looking forward to it every week
>other game that had a character I really enjoyed playing has been on an unspoken hiatus for months now, with no sign of coming back

I can't say I'm upset, but at the same time I feel like I'm losing something important

A drow, out in the daylight without any sort of hood or other obscuring headwear? Imposter.

Been starting and stopping on a lot of projects lately, ending up sort of half finishing a lot of stuff. However I have recently got an idea that has caught my fancy.

The idea of a Bound class. Essentially it would have the following features:
>The player chooses an entity that is bound inside of them
>The player chooses how the entity was bound inside them
>The player chooses where the entity is bound inside of them

The idea is the character receives two tracks of abilities, which are Stable and Unstable releases.

An example would be the following:
>The player chooses Daemon bound, bound at birth, and bound to their stomach

So at birth someone forcibly trapped the demon inside of these stomach. Each of these aspects give you access to different Stable releases which are chosen as a talents class feature. Unstable releases are given as a track as you level up based on your entity and sealed place. Examples of stables releases for this would be the following:

>Stomach
Bite attack, breath weapon, bonus to fortitude saves, swallow whole
>Daemon bound
does wisdom damage on hit (soul damaging), soul trap, bonus to breaking objects

How it was bound also gives you a tract of abilities, these out of combat utility features.

Now finally Unstable Releases. A player can evoke their unstable releases for a temporary large boost in power, but invoke an ego feature like with intelligent magic items, what is bound in them taking over. This can reach a point where the person experiences character death because they pushed a bit too far and released the thing entirely.

For Origins and Locations I have all the general concepts down pact. Now I am struggling for entities. The classic would be to just grab different outsiders, however that seems a bit boring. Does anyone have further suggestions to bolster the roster besides outsiders. Ghosts would be another possible options. Maybe even a dragon? I am unsure.

What games? Roll20 or irl? Summary of the last thing you did in each?

So you want to bring Naruto to Pathfinder. Why?

Earlier (), I showcased a 3rd-level, Paizo + Spheres of Might build that showed that the most optimal possible build for a 3rd-level unarmed sage does nothing but spam the same action ad nauseam.

I have pieced together a 3rd-level sentinel/blacksmith this time, and the results are similar. The single best combat tactic of this build is to spam the same attack over and over, ignoring its more interesting options.

Presenting... Spheres of Might: Revenge of the Ordained Defender/Zweihander Sentinel.

Level: 3rd
Race: Oni-spawn tiefling (prehensile tail, scaled skin, underworld guide)
Class: Sentinel 1/blacksmith 2

Key Ability Scores: Strength 16+2, Wisdom 16+2
Key Traits: Empathic Diplomat (regional), Reactionary (combat)
Feats: Combat Reflexes, Extra Combat Talent

Combat Talents: 6 = 2 base + 1 sentinel + 2 blacksmith + 1 Extra Combat Talent
• Equipment (free, Weapons, Melee Weapon Training, martial focus always dedicated to this): Critical Hammer (free), Heavy Arms Training, Polearm Master
• Guardian (free)
• Lance: Advancing Carnage, Advancing Carnage, Calculated Violence

Maintenance: Sharpen Weapons: The blacksmith and his allies gain a +2 bonus to all damage rolls made with manufactured weapons.
Smithing Insight: Practiced Power: The blacksmith gains a +1 competence bonus to attack and damage rolls made with hammers.

Key Equipment: Masterwork full plate (1,650 gp), masterwork Large lucerne hammer (330 gp), both possibly self-crafted with Profession (blacksmith) and skilled craftsman

Numbers:
• Initiative: 8 = 4 Wisdom modifier from Wise Reflexes + 2 underworld guide + 2 Reactionary
• AoOs per Round: 5 = 1 base + 4 Wisdom modifier from Combat Reflexes and Wise Reflexes
• Attack Bonus: 3 BAB + 4 Strength modifier + 1 competence + 1 Equipment sphere dedication + 1 masterwork enhancement = +10
• Damage: 3d6 Large lucerne hammer + 6 Strength modifier multiplied + 1 competence + 2 sharpen weapons = 3d6+9, 19-20/×3 with Critical Hammer

This character is fairly durable, between high HD, extra hit points from the Guardian sphere, temporary hit points from sentinel's reserve, rock-solid saving throws (including Wisdom-based Reflex), and full plate. Offense is where this character shines.

Every round, the character does nothing but go up to an enemy (possibly with a charge) and whack them with the giant hammer. Attack bonus +10, damage 3d6+9, 19-20/×3. If that hits, the Lance sphere, Advancing Carnage, Advancing Carnage, and Calculated Violence trigger, hopefully generating more and more attacks with which to smack down enemies.

The character can also contribute through fully-threatening reach and Combat Reflexes, and some party support from the blacksmith's maintenance... but these are passive effects that do not influence active combat options.

The character has some interesting combat options, such as the Guardian sphere's challenge and the Lancer sphere's impale... but why bother with them? The Guardian challenge expends martial focus and move actions, and the Lance impale deprives the character of a weapon. Better to dedicate the martial focus to the Equipment sphere for that extra point of accuracy, so as to ensure that each attack lands and the Lancer talents actually trigger.

Again, it is rather disappointing how some of the most optimal builds in Spheres of Might do nothing but spam the same combo ad nauseam.

At 4th-level, the character takes another level in blacksmith and takes the Power Attack equipment talent, of course. The build still does nothing but spam its single best attack.

The value of the Lance sphere's impale is currently ambiguous, because it fails to clarify whether the penalties from impale replace the grappling penalties, or stack on top of them.

If impale replaces the usual grappling penalties, then it is probably not a good ability "out of the box." If impales stacks with those usual grappling penalties, then I will concede that if you have only one viable target on the field, then it would indeed be better to impale.

Then again, that is not quite a new option; it is more that your usual super-combo is inapplicable, so you settle for the next best thing.

The one thing I find most infuriating here is the Heavy Arms Training talent. It is no-brainer for most builds, be they archers or melee beatsticks; why would you ever pass up a talent that improves your 1d8 weapon to 2d6, or your 1d12/2d6 weapon to 3d6?

Moving on, here is what I believe is the ultimate 3rd-level unarmed sage, again using only Paizo and Spheres of Might sources. This build works best in a game wherein the retraining rules are available, so as to retrain away Extra Combat Talent feats, but the build works just fine even without them.

This build also does nothing but spam the same combo over and over. I do not understand why the writers of Spheres of Might chose to write talents in such a way that some of them could be stacked into a single bread-and-butter combo that could then be spammed repeatedly.

Level: 3rd
Race: Human (heart of the slums)
Class: Sage

Key Ability Scores: Dexterity 16+2, Wisdom 16
Traits: Child of the Streets (social), Empathic Diplomat (regional), possibly Reactionary (combat) if a drawback is taken
Feats: Combat Reflexes (human bonus), Extra Combat Talent, Extra Combat Talent

Combat Talents:
• Equipment: Finesse Fighting (free)
• Open Hand (free, focus is always dedicated to this): Lunging Strikes, Snap Kick, Sweeping Kicks
• Scoundrel: Dirty Mugging, Playing Dirty

Key Equipment: Gloves of Larceny (2,500 gp), Ioun Torch (75 gp)

Attack Bonuses:
• Unarmed Strike: +5 = 1 BAB + 4 Dexterity modifier
• Sleight of Hand Bonus: +18 = 3 ranks + 4 Dexterity modifier + 3 class skill + 1 trait + 2 racial + 5 competence
• Trip Bonus: 7+2d6 = 3 sage level + 4 Dexterity modifier + 2d6 chi gong

~

What happens on this character's turn? They go up to an enemy and perform a dirty trick combat maneuver. Because of the Scoundrel sphere and chi gong, they roll +18+2d6, and probably blind an enemy for a few rounds. The opponent must spend a standard action to remove the blindness.

Landing the dirty trick triggers Dirty Mugging. They make an attack of opportunity against the foe. The sage's attack bonus is +5, but it will probably hit a blinded target. If the sage hits, they deal 1d6 + 2 + Strength modifier damage, plus 2d6 from chi gong, plus 1 nonlethal from Open Hand.

If this attack hits, Sweeping Kicks triggers. They make a trip attempt, rolling +7+2d6. This will probably succeed, since the target is blinded (penalties to AC apply to CMD).

If the trip attempt is successful, Snap Kick triggers. That is another attack at +5, again dealing 1d6 + 2 + Strength modifier damage, plus 2d6 from chi gong, plus 1 nonlethal from Open Hand.

It is a little luck-dependent, but the payoff is impressive by non-DSP standards: a blinded and prone enemy, along with two reasonably-damaging attacks, all from one standard action.

All of this, by the way, is if the sage opts to *not* use Stunning Fist. If the sage used that, then the enemy could very well be stunned for a round.

~

What happens on the target's turn? It is screwed. The blindness will take a standard action to clear. Standing from prone as a move action will provoke an attack of opportunity. The enemy could also be stunned from Stunning Fist.

What happens on other enemies' turns? If they are melee-focused and they lack reach, then they will provoke attacks of opportunity from the sage. The sage can trip them with a +7+2d6 bonus, and a successful trip provokes a further attack of opportunity. Woe to them if the sage activates Stunning Fist.

The sage is quite frail against enemies who can attack from 10+ feet away, but Manipulate Flow and Sage's Riposte can offer some respite.

~

It is a shame how effective such spam is.

At 4th-level, the character uses retraining to acquire Playing Dirty as a regular combat talent, and takes Focused Sphere (Scoundrel). This allows them to charge and then perform the dirty trick combo, significantly improving mobility. The sage's cripple class feature also causes them to deal Strength damage with each instance of chi gong damage.

Right now the locations I am working on are:
>Arm
>Eye
>Heart
>Stomach
>Spine
>Mind

And the origins:
>At Birth (happened at birth)
>Punishment (as in you were punished by being its cage)
>Sacred Duty (you were assigned to do it)
>Accident (it just sort of happened)
>Chosen (it chose you)
>Tricked (you tricked it into you, binding yourself)
>Inherited (you were given it by someone)

A 3rd-level "pure martial" character can, in fact, have a variety of options to them in combat.

We have already seen a basic framework for such a thing: Path of War, or, if we are being more accurate to its origins, the Tome of Battle.

Both Path of War and the Tome of Battle have serious balance issues within their disciplines and maneuvers, but the core conceits are good: you have a limited number of maneuvers readied, you must carefully ration out your standard actions and swift/immediate actions, you must intelligently expend maneuvers, and, when you are tapped out, you must weigh between resorting to regular attacks or activating a recovery mechanic.

There are very few 3rd-level Path of War and Tome of Battle builds that spam a single "best combo" again and again and again, because the framework prevents them from doing so.

In Spheres of Might, on the other hand, it seems that many optimal builds actually *do* just spam a single "best combo" ad nauseam. This is what happens when sphere talents are a mix of horizontal/flexibility upgrades and direct vertical/power upgrades; it is more optimal to take only the latter and stack them onto a single at-will mega-combo.

I am not saying that these builds are "broken" or "overpowered." They are only somewhat stronger than a Paizo-only barbarian rushing in with a greatsword and Power Attack.

What I am trying to convey is that it is so disappointing that optimal builds for these classes (blacksmith, sage, sentinel) ignore their menu of interesting combat options, and instead spam the same "best combo" repeatedly. I was under the impression that Spheres of Might was supposed to make optimal martial characters more interesting, not force them into at-will spammers.

That said, I have yet to crunch out optimal builds for the armiger and the striker. Those two classes have built-in class features for variety, so I hope they can encourage mixed tactics in combat.

Dude, I think the last thread got pruned because of this. Let's not get another thread deleted.

There's the classic Goa'uld type critter, I suppose it would be a larval aberration? Some kind of mega-plague could work as well, bound in a person so it doesn't spread, but maybe it starts leaking or affecting the person acting as a containment vessel.

I like the idea of binding an abstract concept like an emotion, maybe the person just wanted to be rid of their anger but could only siphon it off into another portion of their body, or some wizards removed their empathy collectively and stuck it in some poor apprentice so they could continue their research unimpeded.

There's also substances of course, things along the lines of magically plutonium. Think along the lines of Mordite in the Dresden Files.

Fucking christ man just put it in a pastebin, sheesh.

It's better for the thread since you aren't dumping massive fucking walls of text, and it's better for the actual Devs because a pastebin is gonna last longer than a goddamn thread will.

This sort of story exists in a lot more than just Naruto. There are examples in Dungeons & Dragons, such as in one of the Dragonlance Novels Films do it as well, Pirated of the Caribbean comes to mind.

>There's the classic Goa'uld type critter, I suppose it would be a larval aberration? Some kind of mega-plague could work as well, bound in a person so it doesn't spread, but maybe it starts leaking or affecting the person acting as a containment vessel.
I very much like these conceptually. I want to move away from just outsiders, likely going to condense them into a general "Fiend" binding.

Get a trip already for fuck sakes.

The concept, sure. Your execution of the idea is ripped straight out of your favorite Japanese anime.

Tonight's Pendragon Institute Session (Team CARP): pastebin.com/SzEEm1u5

Tonight's Rise of the Jade Regent Session: pastebin.com/eH4sU4CB

Hell, it was the lore for Trundle in LoL before it got retconned. His entire troll tribe was infected with a disease, which they were surviving due to their regeneration, but in horrible pain. So they enact a ritual to dump all their disease into the runt of the village. Unfortunately, the disease was also massively stimulating their regeneration, and the tribe eventually dies off. Trundle survives however, but at the cost of getting Deadpool'd (massively ugly, massive regeneration).

DHB actually posted his favorite anime a few threads back. Naruto isn't on there.

Your concept is straight from Naruto though...also where is it in pirates of the Caribbean?

Probably how Davy Jones's heart is a separate object.

Tia Dalma and Davy Jones both have aspects of it. Tia Dalma is forcibly trapped inside a human body but knows what she is. Davy Jones has his whole heart gimmick as said.

Are any of the Horrors X supplements any good? Or were they mostly disappointing?

But that's nothing like getting some demon implanted into you. Nobody ever gets a supernatural force implanted into them in PotC

>praising Asmodeus
>not praising Groetus

Looks like someone's not prepared for the End Times!

The particular combination is.

Let's have a different example, as suggested.

In this case a:
>Abberation Parasite, Bound as Punishment, Bound in the Mind
In this case you a criminal who forcibly had a larval aberration put into his skull.

But they're completely different. Calypso is bound into a human form, she doesn't have an entity bound within her. Davy Jones tore his own heart out and gave it to her promising always to love the sea and shit.

I don't know who he is, nor do I care. What annoys me are people who want to rip off their preferred shows and games blatantly and try to supplant the show/character's "main feature" into my medieval fantasy worlds.

The group I'm forced to run with used to do this constantly. I'm tired of trying to balance Sol Badguys, Claymores, and any number of other shits against base-book classes. The aforementioned people get mad when they aren't gods, and the base-book players have less fun due to the bitching. Now they've resorted to just outright cheating base-book/expansion character builds since they couldn't be the god they dreamed of being.

What he's trying to do is just place Naruto into Pathfinder, which is why I called him out on it. You can make something inspired by the idea without plagiarizing it.

I hate the retcon, for what that's worth. Made the character infinitely less interesting and was an excuse to remove the "ugly" from him.

But you could at least try to be more original with your implementation.

I might be filling in for a player in a Skulls and Shackles campaign. Level 4, I think their party is a Swashbuckler, Druid, Kineticist and Alchemist.

Give me a nice concept to fit in between them for the one session.

Hey all, the lancer update's been made, we're working on another preview, still up in the air about what to show, but I'm hoping it'll at least be the scout sphere to help give some fun stuff.

I can see a fair amount of abilities for each location, except spine and mind.
The obvious for spine is flight but having abilities that mechanically tie to the spine might be too limiting, but I'm pretty stumped with mind. Considering there's already going to be an ego mechanic, mind might cross to much into that.

For binding origins, punishment and duty feel to close together it terms of concept. It might be better to merge the two, while I can see a more distinct "line" with the other origins.

enjoying unchained fighter btw, good stuff

That was Davy's downfall, loving shit.

Your "variations" are purely for flavor and offer no other reason for existing. In short, you put them in to avoid being called out for the Naruto transplant.

IRC games, actually, since I cannot convince anyone I know IRL to even look at TTRPGs, let alone commit to a game. Old game just really needs some life injected in it, everyone's always so tired by the time sessions start, and people just seem to be on autopilot sometimes.

Nice
Do you know what's on the table / what are you allowed to talk about?

>Calypso is bound into a human form, she doesn't have an entity bound within her.
I actually played around with this idea too, but found it difficult to incorporate a corruption mechanic where the entity could be released at some point when you are in fact the entity.

The particular example I gave was similar to Naturo. However in numerous combinations you could come up with many things, such as what I posted .

Half the reason I want to diversify the entity portfolio is to move away from sapient fiends bound, or at least condense fiends into a single choice instead of having individual species of fiend be a choice.

Other combinations:
>Disease, Bound as a Sacred Duty, Bound to your Heart
would be similar to what Trundle has in >Fiend bound to your arm, bound by a trick
is The Devil Went Down to Georgia in a way

Is /pfg/ always this autistic in "speaking" with other people?

Maybe you should make it as an archetype of the Avowed? I don't know if that's frowned upon, 3pp of 3pp, but you could probably drum up some interest that way.

>Naruto is the first and only form of media dealing with possession.

Hey, could you please use a tripcode so I can better identify you?

>first and only

Been through this already. The thread isn't even moving so keeping up shouldn't be an issue.

>Your "variations" are purely for flavor and offer no other reason for existing.
I am unsure what you mean.

Do you mean for variety of entity or location bound?

Addendum: If you are a weapon-usnig, Strength-based, Spheres of Might character, your weapon of choice should be the lucerne hammer, full stop. Absolutely no other weapon can compare.

Take the Equipment sphere and choose Heavy Arms Training as your free talent. Then, follow up with Polearm Mastery and Critical Hammer.

You now threaten all enemies within 10 squares using a 3d6/19-20/×3 weapon. How can anything else compare for a weapon-using, Strength-based character? As a small bonus, if you like to sunder armor, because you are a blacksmith, the lucerne hammer also grants you a +2 bonus to sunder medium or heavy armor.

This could perhaps stand to change.

I can see that the splash-attacking now requires dedication, that impale's penalty stacks with grappling, and that the additional attacks are now at a -3 penalty rather than a -2 penalty.

As I go about updating the build in , are there any other notable updates to the Lancer sphere?

Thanks, Jolly. Really enjoying the Striker updates so far. I can kind of do a Burst/Gold Burst thanks to some of the revisions.

JAFFA, KREE!

You know, with your logic, you could say that Avowed is Naruto too. The ninjas did contracts with supernatural beings for power, after all.

Oh, back when you said Right. So the execution of something that does not have a word of actual execution, just DHB's early sounding board.

What would the Yeerk from Animorphs be? Chosen Aberration Mind?

I've been having a certain someone look over my unreleased spheres, which are Barroom, Dual Wielding, and Wrestling. As far as classes go, only the Scholar looks good to go, as Conscript (build a martial) is still in a rough place at the moment.

Barrage got a huge revamp, I should really post that over too.

Aside from that, Sentinel was just reposted with its new mechanics, it's a little weaker now.

At the moment I'm getting feedback from that one playtest game that's going on that's been really helpful too.

Yep, those and a few other misc changes are about, hoping to keep things more balanced since I don't think old lancer had a dedication bonus. As far as I know of, there shouldn't be any other large differences.

Combo rhythm was important to me because it allowed things like that, and because it's cool. Also AC bonus clarifies it grows with level so you can't just pop in for con to AC.

Sentinel's bonus temp HP from reserve were also reduced and are now based on sentinel level, not BAB to make the class less dipable.

>For binding origins, punishment and duty feel to close together it terms of concept. It might be better to merge the two, while I can see a more distinct "line" with the other origins.
I can see what you mean here. The origin is however not meant to give you powers.

What they do now is the following:
>extra class skills
>utility Ex abilities
Basically powers based on social situation. Sacred duty gives you stuff like contacts and an allowance, Punishment gives things based on being a criminal.

Though consolidating them could make sense.

>The obvious for spine is flight but having abilities that mechanically tie to the spine might be too limiting, but I'm pretty stumped with mind. Considering there's already going to be an ego mechanic, mind might cross to much into that.
I struggled with spine as well. At the moment what mind does is mainly espionage based things like Read thoughts and divination based effects as well as telekinesis.

More spheres would be nice. The classes are fine, but at this point I'm really just waiting on Conscript, the one that will probably be last to show. Additional spheres at least further increases the interactions in the system for people to look at and talk about.

>Fiend bound to your arm, bound by a trick
That's also basically the Slayer from DFO.

Instead of a ghost, how about an actual person's soul? Maybe you wanted to save someone from damnation, and every once in a while they just want to experience life directly again. Or perhaps you're a prison for a necromancer that they didn't want killed as he could just be brought back.

It's the implementation, not the concept, that matters. Remember, keeping up is simple.

You want to pretend the "location" and "manner" are relevant, when they aren't. Anything you want to say is restricted by location I can replicate anywhere else for any reason, logical or otherwise. And for the manner to which it's bound, that's utterly meaningless. The being won't care how it was lodged in your ass and won't impart specific ass-related abilities just because of that fact. The abilities are based on the being, not the location.

And that's why your variations are meaningless and serve no purpose other than trying to obfuscate the fact that you just decided to utterly rip Naruto implementation for an age-old concept. You had other methods to go with, but instead, you went with the tired and trite one.

>that's utterly meaningless
M A G I C
A
G
I
C

You blithering idiot.

Jolly, that certain someone (me) helping you with the unreleased Spheres is also a member of that playtest game. Just so you know.

I simply cannot see anyone using the Guardian sphere's challenge at all. A move action and expended martial focus are a huge cost, and the penalty of the challenge is not anywhere near enough to warrant that cost.

This greatly undermines the sentinel as well.

D&D 4e's defenders place marks in a very action economy-efficient manner, and Path of War's aegis likewise marks enemies without burning move actions. Why does the Guardian sphere's challenge have to be saddled with such a huge cost for a tiny penalty?

user, it's kinda weird that you're so hyper focused on this, when there are countless other things that fit this just as well as Naruto does. It's like you don't know of anything other than Naruto.

>Naruto DEFINITELY did it this way first
>that means doing it that way is BAD

Y'know, for all the flack it gets, the series DID have actually cool ideas in the early stages, right? Even though it was already ripping off other shit, it did collect some neat concepts into a bundle of wasted potential.

We want to show some of the less combat orientated ones, like trap and scout more than the others to show that it isn't ALL about combat. It's mostly intended to be about combat, as was our mission statement, but we're at least trying to shift focus to try and meet the requests of the people who have been commenting on our docs.

Also if you can playtest the material in a live game, please do. I'm cool with white room theorycraft, and I still suggest you do that if you want, but actual playtest data is invaluable due to the haphazard nature of games, the variables included, and everything like that.

Plus I can admit I've actually written at least one talent based on playtest data for 'things I'd like this sphere to do' involving a certain striker tiefling.

Awesome, keep up the good work.

This is fair; I'm not lead on guardian sphere, but honestly I can agree that at the moment, the guardian sphere takes too long to set up. I'll bring this up to the others, as I agree at the moment a swift would be a fair cost to set up a challenge.

>You want to pretend the "location" and "manner" are relevant, when they aren't. Anything you want to say is restricted by location I can replicate anywhere else for any reason, logical or otherwise.
I mean, yes if it was implemented like that. It would be odd implementing something like Swallow Whole, a bite attack, or the like with Eye as the location for example Well, Eyebite does exist.

>And for the manner to which it's bound, that's utterly meaningless. The being won't care how it was lodged in your ass and won't impart specific ass-related abilities just because of that fact.
Right now the manner of binding doesn't effect the powers it gives you. It gives you Class Skills and utility Ex abilities. In an earlier post I described the difference between Punishment and Sacred Duty and what they would give you. Punishment would give you class skills like Knowledge (local), Stealth, or Sleight of Hand (right now I am working on 'pick 2 from short list'). Sacred Duty could impart Knowledge (Nobility), Knowledge (History), etc.

>The abilities are based on the being, not the location.
I mean, if I build the class that way sure, but that isn't how I have been building it thus far.

>And that's why your variations are meaningless and serve no purpose other than trying to obfuscate the fact that you just decided to utterly rip Naruto implementation for an age-old concept. You had other methods to go with, but instead, you went with the tired and trite one.
I am really not sure what you mean here. I am unsure why you are focused on Naruto.

>Instead of a ghost, how about an actual person's soul? Maybe you wanted to save someone from damnation, and every once in a while they just want to experience life directly again. Or perhaps you're a prison for a necromancer that they didn't want killed as he could just be brought back.
That is also an interesting though.

If you're 2hu, your personal sentiments on the sentinel druid are completely unfounded. Play an actual game.

When your release example is "demon bound to your stomach" that's going to happen, kid. It's clear where the inspiration came from and every attempt from then forward was just sidestepping that fact without actually changing how it works.

Read. Follow along. Comprehend. Context is your friend and I suggest you use it.

I actually didn't say Naruto's use of the trope was inherently bad. What I did say was that blatantly ripping from Naruto and putting in your game unchanged was boring, uninspired, and will likely "crash" the game at some point.

Sentinel in Spheres of Might, not Sentinel Druid, you putz.

The Guardian sphere's challenge requiring dedication is something I can see. Expending martial focus, on the other hand, is too much.

I have a major complaint about the one "noncombat" sphere so far, Scoundrel. It falls into the Path of War trap of having skills feed into direct combat actions. My build in raises Sleight of Hand very high so as to almost always succeed on dirty trick and steal maneuvers, which then chains into the rest of the build.

What if I want to have one or two main spirits, then several lesser spirits bound to me, all vying for control?

That's understandable, as we've seen you can get it very high, and skills as CMB is a slippery slope, so we'll take that into advisement. As that IS my sphere, I can speak about it with absolute heroic authority, so that'll probably get changed.

I meant the 4e sentinel druid, you blithering retard. He bases his assumptions only on theorycrafting and not on actual gameplay. In that context his opinions are utterly useless.

user, maybe it was chosen at random? Maybe you're the only person here who's so focused on that one example given that you linked immediately to your favorite anime? Nope, you gotta be right, you thought Naruto, so DHB is ripping off Naruto wholesale.

Where did he ever say the 4e Sentinel Druid, you dribbling idiot?

His personal opinion of sentinel druids is well known and he made mention of 4e, you pathetic three-chinned warbling autist.
And his personal opinion of them is wrong because he only knows theorycrafting and doesn't know how to play them in an actual game.

>Origins give extra class skills and Utility Ex abilities.
Gotcha, so nor as big as I imagined. Those being separate makes more sense now.

So the idea for this class, to summarize and simplify, would to have two sort of "path" options. Like if a class had Oracle mysteries and Sorcerer bloodlines. The modular part (which could be binding place, or the creature bound) and a static lv progress point (which would be the other). While also having the origin giving you less, but still something.

And changed to how it is in the draft version, there's a lot of stuff that we've changed in the draft that hasn't made it to the preview for some reason or another. I've had a lot to work on aside from just SoM for example.

Do tieflings with their level 2 SLA qualify for Mystic Theurg after Wiz 1 and Cleric 3?

>if the class was built that way

It is built that way. You can pretend it isn't, but every feature you're using depends entirely on what the being is and what hole they shoved it into. That last part is idiotic, since I can easily duplicate any "locked" ability anywhere.

Bite is a bad example, for the record. Mouths can appear anywhere for any reason, because magic and because creatures like this already exist. Gibbering Mouthers are a thing, afterall, and dimensional beings aren't going to be bound by paltry expectations of where things should be. I can do a bite attack with my heel if I felt like it since that's where the creature was bound and it has a gaping maw.

The "focus" is because you chose to show your hand from the beginning as wanting to supplant Naruto into Pathfinder, and I have a long history of trying to accommodate that level of faggotry in my games. My frustration stems from the fact that your fervent defense of the concept stems from your narrow ability to understand what you're actually doing, positive that you've put in enough "balancing points" and "variation" to not be an annoyance. My experience is to the contrary.

Randomly decided to use Naruto's explicit implementation? I doubt it. You could learn a lot about someone trying to describe a concept based on their initial attempts.
In any case, it's clear you're only really interested in a positive reception of your dull idea. Carry on.

No, SLAs no longer qualify thanks to FAQ if memory serves

I would personally consider CMB/CMD to be a lost cause and drop everything CMB/CMD related from Spheres of Might. I would instead focus on abilities that force saving throws from enemies. Fortitude and Reflex can save an enemy from being knocked prone, driven back, disarmed, or what-have-you. You could even replace feints and other forms of combat trickery with abilities that force Will saving throws to realize the deception.

Saving throws scale more predictably and consistently than CMD ever will.

I have been, and still am, in many an online campaign. I do not mean to boast here, but the builds I create almost always work out in actual play in the same way I had envisioned them on paper.

You must understand that with a refined enough ability to predict how "typical" gameplay will unfold, an "on paper" build is how the build will work as a baseline. The GM can pit the build against highly specific counters all they want, but that merely goes to show the strength of the build; the wackier the enemies the GM has to use to present a challenge, the greater a sign it is that the build is an outlier.

As for the 4e druid (sentinel), it is significantly better off as a hybrid class, since its hybrid version preserves many of its class features and sidesteps the awful Combined Attack encounter power. Only the most bizarre and exotic of house rules can change this.

That would have been neat.

At this stage in the process, that isn't really too likely. Saves are just as swingy in places, so while we'd love to reinvent the wheel, we are working with a system in place.

Except the details of stomach don't fit Naruto particularly well, and he's apparently been working on this for awhile.
Just because you can come up with criticism doesn't mean your criticism holds water.

>Mnyeh mnyeh, CMB is haaaaard

That's what the system is there to help fix ya shitbag.

So, /pfg/, my character is undead. What are some good items/spells/abilities that will stop me from instantly dying when my HP reaches 0? Alternatively, is there some way my party can bring me back if I do get dusted? Normal resurrection magic won't work - or at best will bring me back as a normal human again

>. You can pretend it isn't, but every feature you're using depends entirely on what the being is and what hole they shoved it into. That last part is idiotic, since I can easily duplicate any "locked" ability anywhere.
I mean I can't pretend it is either because I haven't written the class in its entirety yet.

>Bite is a bad example, for the record. Mouths can appear anywhere for any reason, because magic and because creatures like this already exist.
However it doesn't make sense for you to gain a bite attack if you have eye as the location and let's say fey as the entity. There is no thematic reason for it to give you a bite.

>Gibbering Mouthers are a thing, afterall, and dimensional beings aren't going to be bound by paltry expectations of where things should be.
If you have a gibbering mouther bound inside you that would make sense. An aberration entity possibly could give you bite no matter where it was bound.

> I can do a bite attack with my heel if I felt like it since that's where the creature was bound and it has a gaping maw.
user I really am unsure if I am understanding you because you are making claims like the class is already written.

>The "focus" is because you chose to show your hand from the beginning as wanting to supplant Naruto into Pathfinder, and I have a long history of trying to accommodate that level of faggotry in my games.
I mean you're painting me as wanting to force naruto into games. The example I gavewould apply to naruto, but I have given others.

I really don't understand what you're getting at because you're acting like the class is written already. I'm confused.

He's being a retard, simple as that.

>I judge how good I am by the monsters my GM makes me face

It could be that he just hates you as an individual. Plenty of GMs get sick of the uppity "my build is so good guys" type of player that they take pleasure in sticking to you as directly as possible without terribly impacting the rest of the party.

Just a thought.

>a certain striker tiefling

I-I got noticed!
Woo!

You'll be needing something for Inflict Wounds if nobody you know has Channel Negative Energy.

It's probably hard for him to think about what he's typing while jacking off to SasukeXNaruto r34.

Hey, thanks for playtesting for me! I really appreciate it. Some of the changes to sentinel were because of Wendy too, some from feedback, and some were from some 'WHITE ROOM TESTING' *BOO* *HISS*

I'm not in charge of armiger, so those notes were passed along to its dev, since I'm not making direct changes to someone else's content.

Sure they do.
You say Combined Attack is god awful, but if your vaunted intelligence is to be believed, then you would've used optimal positioning and tagteamed with your allies. Despite the fact you're bound into the class feature, it's actually one of its best features.
You should know how to use it, but it seems like you have no idea how to play the class.

No houserules need to change it because it doesn't need changing. You'd know this if you actually played.

Got that covered. Healing isn't the issue, but having some sort of buffer state between 0 HP and instantaneous destruction would be nice, or else have some way to return.

This is why I said your class is based on the being, yet you claim it isn't. You just said yourself that it wouldn't make sense for a fey to bite something (nevermind the fact that there are plenty of "bitey" fey creatures -- not all of them are Tinkerbell). The location of the creature isn't going to matter because it's the creature imparting the ability, not the location.

Ah, yes, the person experienced with stupid forced concepts is the one being retarded. Right.

You caught me.

Hey 2hufag, ever heard of Touhou Side Story? I want to know your opinion on it. youtube.com/watch?v=ZS9kNLOP_h0&t=34s

Watching Wendy go ROCKET PUNCH through a crowd of goblins was intensely satisfying.

Why can't you be in charge of Armiger? It is my favourite class, but I don't think Stoeckle likes me.

hey there, I also participated in the hunter playtest

I've gotta say that the double five foot step is extraordinarily good in terms of flanking and close combat, as basically we could've managed to flank the beast patients with relative ease (if we had a bit more coordination)

i played the base hunter, with a bootleg kirkhammer (longsword with change weapon damage type + upping the damage tricks)with a concentration on power attack/vital, the saw hunter badge, great lake and blood rupture runes

if i've got one comment, i've gotta say that the blood ministration combined with an attempt to become as hard as possible to hit gave me incredible staying power, as i believe i tanked around maybe 90-110ish damage, with a max health of 81 and during the whole time, i never dipped below half health

i really did enjoy playing the class, although i never got an opportunity to use create opening or the immediate five foot step since we got a moon beast dropped on our poor asses

although the best part about this is when the charred hunter detonated himself, and with his initial explosion, exploded the poor fuckin' kid carrying around 9 kegs of black powder, and therefore blowing everybody to kingdom come

What's your biggest disappointment in Pathfinder? The time your hopes got highest only to drop when more was revealed?

>implying my hopes have ever been high for Shitfinder

I've always assumed the worst of Pathfinder through its entire lifespan, and it's almost never as bad as I expect.

But the standout exception is when I tried Swashbuckler thinking that they'd finally made a DEX martial worth playing.

That the game still exists.