/CofD/ &/wodg/ Chronicles of Darkness and World of Darkness General

Previous Thread: >Pastebin:
pastebin.com/xrKUUi0A
>News
theonyxpath.com/release-roundup-january-2017/
paradoxinteractive.com/en/white-wolf-partners-with-focus-home-interactive-for-a-video-game-adaptation-of-the-world-of-darkness-storyteller-game-werewolf-the-apocalypse/
This week's Monday Meeting Notes:
theonyxpath.com/winter-flu-goes-to-the-dogs-edition-monday-meeting-notes/
>Question
How would you improve Samuel Haight without outright removing him?

Other urls found in this thread:

discord.gg/hQbCv
discord.gg/WQGd8
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

Turn him into an ashtray.......wait

The NPCs in the M20 quickstart are beyond cringy.

so the normal mage player?

ba-dum-tsh

WE

>5'2"
>an amazon

And the only male NPC of the book.

Thanks for the pic of this small lizard

>can sue successfully for emancipation
>but can't do the job she got because of her talent
>or do the math to keep a bank balance
>or pay fucking bills

If you wanted her to be homeless so badly all you had to was have her run away, Brucato.

Is the Technocratic Union right?

DEATH TO THE GLASS WANKER VEGANS!

PURGE THE WEAKNESS FROM THE GAIAN RACE, MY COUSINS!

Well, I'd definitely argue that the Order of Reason was right when you consider how vamps and garou fucked over humanity.

>garou
>fucked over humanity
>the one species that has undeniably raped everything by spreading the Weaver's stranglehold and the Wyrm's corruption where ever they go

Didn't the vampires basically ensure humanity's congregation into cities and its rise of civilizations, technology and so on?

Technically speaking, humanity is the fault of the mokole and the Weaver is just mad because humans were her favorite pets but the garou were big meanies to them.

"Canon" is contradictory but they are at least one cause.

Is Onyx actually planning to stop doing open dev and is Veeky Forums to blame for it?

>How would you improve Samuel Haight without outright removing him?

Make him less of a metaplot meme and more of a background thing. In a WtA game I'd have the PCs hear scattered rumors of skinned garou, usually loners and ronin.

By the way, are there official rules for Skin Dancer characters?

If by right you mean do they provide Mankind with its best shot at survival, and the highest general standard of life?

Then yes.

If by that do you mean do they rampantly ignore civil liberties and various other principles which most would consider sacrosanct? And is such a thing worthwhile in the grand scheme of the world? Well, don't you enjoy the way the world is right now? I mean, more than mucking around in shit as a glorified blood-bag for some asshole parasite? Or as sport for some horrible fucking half-spirit jackass who hates you for wanting an enjoyable life?
Omelettes and Eggs.
Omelettes and Eggs.

Anywhere on the net I can find a decent campaign for NWoD? My group doesn't wanna run it.

gamefinder thread
roll20

I am currently reading through Vampire the Requiem for dummies and soon I will reading the general WOD rulebook. What else should I read before looking into joining a game? I understand some parts of the lore, but a chunk of it I don't know much about.

The Followers of Set seem pretty cool

This is what I'm talking about when I'm complaining about SJW-infestation in modern WoD, jesus.

What the fuck is this shit.

I'm imagining you've read the 1e core, Chronicles of Darkness, and Mortal Remains. Given that those are nessecary to run a 2e game of Hunter.

If you want them to fight magic users, use Witch Finders, the rules in it allows for challenging and diverse magic users that the Hunters can conceivably kill with the right plan and cunning.

Both Night Stalkers and Spirit Slayers are good, if nothing else check them out on the Mega drive for the tactics alone. They're naturally a must if you're gonna have them fight Vampires and Werewolves/Spirits respectively, especially if you don't have the core for those game lines yourself. The one for Beast really isn't nessecary, though it's nice if you want to do dream based stuff.

Especially if your group wants lots of tactics, have them browse all the splats, Night Stalkers and Witch Finders both have some of my favorite tactics.

Any other questions, fellow Hunterbro?

My father's thrusting cock.

V20 and Lore of the Clans are pretty good if you're interested in VtM. VtR 2e is generally better than 1e if you're into Requiem. People seem to like the VtR clan books, but I read Ventrue and Mekhet and wasn't very impressed

>mage supremacy

Is there an invite for the Discord?

This one is for CofD
discord.gg/hQbCv

Fuck this gay earth. Trannies need to register on a government data base reeeeeeee

What's this mage second edition stuff, how cucked am I by not knowing it?

Don't you fucking dare try and lump M20 in with Awakening.

Did they make a 2nd edition of Awakening? What was M2O?

>Did they make a 2nd edition of Awakening?
Nigga, where have you BEEN?

>on a quest to rip the artwork from every single one of VtM books
>decide to start with Vampire: The Dark Ages 20th Anniversary
>8 times out of 10 the artwork in the book is of female characters

This is... weird. Like, you can't help but notice.

Phil Brucato isn't 'modern Wod', he's been there all along.

Nigga I live in the hills as a modern day Thyrsus
I got magic irl but I won't go into big cities to catch up on the latest hullabaloo. I can talk to spirits of the prairie but all they care about is being blown around by ephemeral winds.

What did they change in second edition mage? Did they retcon all that tower stuff yet? Aren't yani or whatever they are called just a sanskrit word for prostate massage?

>Did they make a 2nd edition of Awakening?
Yes. It came out nearly a year ago.

>What was M20?
A horrible crusty cumrag monogrammed "P.B.".

It's been copied and sold under the pretense of being a 20th anniversary edition of Ascension.

I was hoping it would be WoD but thanks.

Thank you

So m20 is drastically different from the original? What did they try to fix?

Well, here's the oWoD one:
discord.gg/WQGd8

What are the bare minimum requirements for turning somebody's offal into a sea cucumber?

>So m20 is drastically different from the original?
No, just worse.

Welp, now I'm sure the Daeva is trying to blond bond my Gangrel, both ways. It was pretty much confirmed by the end of the last night's game session and I have no fucking clue what I'm going to do, since we're both part of a group that has to stick together out of necessity, rather than choice. The GM seemed to hint that there was a way to avert the Daeva's attention, but again, I have no idea how.

>What did they change in second edition mage?
A lot of quality-of-life improvements. Practices now actually reflect the level of the spell, Paradox is more dangerous (though often not for the mages themselves), spellcasting is more standardised.

>Did they retcon all that tower stuff yet?
You mean the Watchtowers? Nope, they're still there, there's still five of them (of course, Chronicler's Guide gave already options for other/more/no Watchtowers).

>Aren't yani or whatever they are called just a sanskrit word for prostate massage?
Don't know Sanskrit, but Wikipedia says that a yantra is "a mystical diagram", and the word seems to come from "yam", meaning "to sustain" or "to support", also in a structural sense.

Blood bind the Daeva before the Daeva blood bounds you.

I'd rather look for ways to just move away from the Daeva, away from the whole city where we're currently at in-game. Having the Daeva tag along is not my idea of fun. The character is heavily entrenched in said city and them going with my Gangrel out of the blue would pull a lot of eyes on us. I just want to be done with this particular effort and leave.

>Paradox is more dangerous
It has more ability to spiral out of control, but that's when you're an idiot.
On the whole it's weaker.

>(of course, Chronicler's Guide gave already options for other/more/no Watchtowers).
What are these options? Every time I posted my One Watchtower idea I was told that this was already done in the Chroniclers Guide. Is that true?

>I have no fucking clue what I'm going to do
Don't drink her blood.

Both of those come up as "Expired/Invalid".

I don't think I've ever read your idea, so I can't be sure, and I don't think there was something about only one Watchtower, but it may be functionally identical to the option that every mage just picks their superior and inferior Arcana.

Basically, the options are:
More Watchtowers: There's more Watchtowers! Maybe another set of five, maybe enough so every possible combination is represented. Have fun homebrewing all the different Paths.

Other Watchtowers: See more Watchtowers, but keep your homebrew ones.

No Watchtowers: Mages awaken to a personalized supernal truth. Pick superior (an inferior, or not) Arcana.

My idea was no Watchtowers, but not the personalized supernal truth thing. Sounds too much like Paradigms for me.

Basically I proposed that there's one Supernal Realm, with each of the Arcana having their own territory (Land) within it. The Watchtower is in the center where they all meet.

What this means for a Mage is that when they first Awaken they have all Arcana as common, and they can pick whichever ones they want to study without coming up with not!Paradigms or their own Realm and Paths or whatever. Mana can be adjusted to be more common because common spells still cost, but Rotes/Praxis/Attainments are still free.

Once you become well studied in your chosen Arcana you can pick a Legacy to join, and you would gain its Arcana as Ruling. For example, if you studied Forces or Mind you could join Tamers of Fire, and gain both of those as Ruling after your initiation.

No inferior Arcana.

Message me for it

Malfeas#0987

More likely they've decided open dev is terrible, it's not like Veeky Forums isn't the only place that isn't a 'ZOMG SO GOOD GAIS KEEP IT UP' echo chamber. There's legitimate criticisms that come out of many of the places that discuss their things, but their 'official forums' are the primary place where it SHOULD happen, but gets shouted down.

>Requiem
>Followers of Set

You're mixing things, probably unintentionally. Followers of Set are a clan in Vampire the Masquerade, which has nothing to do with Requiem.

If you're going to be playing in a Masquerade game, all you'll need is either the V20 or Revised VtM core book. If you're playing Requiem, if it's 1e you'll need the WoD core (this is all the core rules) and the Requiem core (which contains the vampire rules, Requiem for dummies is just an annotated version of the core, not really uses as most other 'for dummies' books).

All other books are as optional, or required, as your ST has set up for their game.

Gamers need fap material I suppose?

I cut off my reply. If you're playing Requiem 2e all you need is the Requiem 2e core.

I'm not sure why you don't like the paths, but that sounds sounds workable. You might want to allow players to have pseudo-Ruling (for purposes of Mana consumption) Arcana from the beginning, because if you start to mess with the Mana economy, you'll have to adjust a whole lot.

Trying to come up with a basic intro game for nWoD Mage, ideas I've got so far are:

>Set in local cathedral city that the group all knows
>Group is out in the town like normal, go exploring around the cathedral
>Awaken either on a whim or through some connection to the MacGuffin
>At this point they might bump into NPC for basic info and intro to the mystery
>Because it's late night not too many people are about and they end up using their new powers/skills to get into the cathedral
>Cathedral interior is basically the dungeon for the thing
>Thing is either the not-Death Note (Fate/Death Grimoire) or the artifact from the Abedju Cipher

And as this point I'm stuck as to what the thing should be, and what the antagonist is. I'm thinking of riffing off the Abedju Cipher, the only difference being that the intro's replaced with the above.

But at the same time I'm also trying to avoid mage politics too much for the start, and try to make it something they'd be more invested in, hence me thinking of the 'not-Death Note' being in there as a reference they'd all get.

I think the Paths are fine. I just came up with that on the fly because one user kept posting about how awful and themeless and restrictive they are and kept claiming that coming up with more awful and themeless Paths was the way to true player freedom.

So I just made up some way to play with no Paths. Problem solved.

As for mana costs, I was thinking of maybe just upscaling a bit, Let players hold and spend more, let Hallows produce more, etc. But I also toyed with the idea of letting Path tools be replaced by Arcana tools. For example you could have a Forces Arcana tool in the form of a golden dagger that functions as a wand, and all Forces spells cast with it cost no Mana. You would have to attune it to your aura and all that still, and attuning a second one of a different Arcanum would take even longer. What's more, any Paradox rolls made as a result of the spells cast with a tool have a chance to degrade it a bit, or give it an Abyssal taint for a while. If players choose to absorb the Paradox, the tool takes the brunt. They can break on a critical failure, but only if they've been degraded a bit first.

My logic behind this is that I don't want the Arcana tools to just replace Ruling Arcana. I want them to be a big incentive to join Legacies. In fact Legacies in general have more emphasis in this play style, for obvious reasons. They take the place of Paths, basically.

The Technocracy try to clone him to use him as an agent, but guess what? He can't be fucking bought off, or reasoned with. He destroys an entire Horizon Construct and makes off with billions of dollars worth of Hypertech, returning to Earth pissed off and ready to rock. In his absence the Skin Dancers have swelled in numbers from hunting Ronin Garou and Black Spirals, and they're ready to take whole Caerns. Haight plays his way through Diablerie Mexico and gets a few jugs of sweet, sweet vitae, then he infiltrates the Society of Leopold and takes over fucking Venezuela, I mean the whole fucking country, ready to experiment with the skins of other Fera.

Are you a bad enough dude to take him on?

Are you such a bad dude that Trump quivers in fear at the thought of you bluffing your way through immigration?

>Business or pleasure?
>Pleasure.
>Are you a terrorist?
>......no.
>Seems legit. Welcome to 'Murrica, here, have a gun and a pound of high fructose corn syrup.

I don't see what makes them cringy, nor do I jump at the idea of "SJW's hiding under every bed" the way you other poor, paranoid faggots tend to. Time to put down the Fox News broadcasts, boys.

What I would say is this - these NPC's are all excessively damaged and traumatised, and their heritages are hopelessly muddied, to the point where it would be almost impossible to characterise one enough to be playable. How am I supposed to understand how to play someone who comes from four different ethnic backgrounds, on top of having a mental illness, a learning disability and social problems?

Sabra is almost playable - almost - except that his refusal to communicate would turn every game into a fucking pantomime. Khan sounds like a fucking timebomb. Synder would, played correctly, be too difficult and obnoxious to spend any time with at all. Chopper's life derailing at 17 makes absolutely no sense, given how smart, erudite, and good at her work she's supposed to be - couldn't she just get another job in IT filed away in a basement somewhere where she wouldn't need co-workers? Didn't it literally say she had multiple job offers?

Also, how can they be homeless if they have a place for all this technology, books, magazines, dog kennels, fire-twirling gear, etc.? It's kind of hard to find electrical outlets in back alleys, let alone safe storage.

TL:DR - Brucatto is a fucking hack, and you're a dumbass if you paid money for this shit

If we're not doing Open Dev any more, no one's bothered to tell me.

20th Anniversary Edition had some pretty lame shit about them. They went from a group of hardcore, wyrm-tainted hunters to hippies taking in Ronin and, like, calming their Rage, man.

We aren't doing Open Dev anymore Dave, sorry you didn't get the memo.

-Onyx Path

>gentle reminder that the original coiner of the "gotta break a few eggs" quote was Joseph Stalin

>nor do I jump at the idea of "SJW's hiding under every bed" the way you other poor, paranoid faggots tend to
But is it really paranoia if Brucato is actually hiding under this particular bed?

that doesn't excuse his recent SJW-wank

it's coupled with the general trend of the M20 book, the general unusefulness of the NPCs who seem to act more as an insert for several mental illnesses and other (SJW) issues than actual characters, as well as the general dislike that Brucato gets since the botched M20

>What did they try to fix?
Brucatto was concerned people might cast real world Magick with the game, so they totalled Paradigm and blended it with Foci so badly that the individual factions cease to have any meaning.

You can now have a Virtual Adept who casts spells by, no joke, smoking weed and doing yoga.

They suggest name-changes for a few Traditions on the baseless idea that the old names were "racist", then go back to the old names in the chargen chapter.

Most of the rules are copy-pasted from older books with no context, no further explanation and no expansion. Some rules are broken - a direct hit from a tank will kill everyone in a hot air balloon but leave the balloon intact, for example - other rules are missing (there is nothing on damage in the Digital Web, nothing at all) - and finally, some rules blatantly insult the reader's intelligence (aura colours, under Nephandi, says "wouldn't you like to know? ;)" .... well, yes, PHILLIP, some people paid nearly $400 to back this fucking turkey, we'd like you to actually do your goddamn job for once).

There's page upon page of wordy rants against the sins of modernity, industrialization, western culture, why you're worse than Hitler if you eat pizza with your gaming group.... and a sidebar telling the reader there was "not enough room" for rules on Sorcery.

The section on Magick is so broken that it necessitated a second book, "How do you DO that?" to explain how Magick works in a fucking game about Mages. As of that second book, we still don't know how it's supposed to work, and we're currently waiting on a third one.

The layout sucks total balls, with useless sidebars and text boxes that could have been easily included in the body of the text. Some of them are in the wrong section. Twenty entire pages are taken up by full-page artwork. I haven't bothered to try counting the half-page artwork that often seems abstract and completely inappropriate.

Did I miss anything, guys?

Walk in her Sanctum

If I can just walk in then she's a pretty shit Mage desu

My Moros who is a loving wife and mother.

I think in that scenario, dividing up the Supernal Realm(s) into ten Arcana-based regions is a bit too reductive, but whatever, it works.

That's actually what I meant about fiddly Mana economy stuff; the game is more or less balanced around having to Ruling Arcana, and theoretically at least, the Mana you get from Pattern Scouring, Hallows and so on reflects that. It just seems a bit unelegant to go "yeah, a five-dot Hallow gives seven Mana".
I do, however, like your ideas about magical tools, and joining Legacies should always be encouraged.

I wish.

>look at the art
>internally classify the style as "mixture of InCase and ShindoL"
I mean, I'm not technically wrong, but it still sets some alarm bells.

>I'll have "what is sexual innuendo?" for $200, thanks Trebek

>an insert for several mental illnesses and other (SJW) issues
>anyone not white, straight and stable is an SJW

Yes, yes, and everyone who disagrees with you and your limited worldview is literally Rosie O'Donnell. You need to be 18+ to post here. Go back to Breitbart Jr. or whatever.

How can you possibly improve on the Ultimate Badass?

It's something that Matt posted, so maybe that's just him.

What could possibly move Matt to quit Open Dev? Mhhh

Have him rescue the newly elected POTUS from ninjas from Street Fighter crossover.

It's just a rough idea, really. I haven't devoted much thought to it beyond what it would take to win that internet argument, so there are bound to be flaws. The one thing I'm dedicated to is putting more emphasis on Legacies, both in play styles and Mage society. I feel like doing away with Path-based Ruling Arcana opens that up a bit, since you can mix-and-match the ones you want to invest in without being tied to this Ruling Arcanum you don't even use all that much. Like going for Spirit and Death and making a Medium style Legacy without having to neglect Life or Matter or feeling like you should at least invest a little bit in one for the free spells, even though you don't particularly like them.

As for the Mana upscale, it was just a half baked idea to make the pre-Legacy play less grueling in terms of expense. I actually like the Arcana tools more too, although they would need rules to stop someone from trying to be the Mandarin with a ring for each Arcanum on all his fingers.

t. triggered libcuck hedge wizard

This stuff doesn't need to be shoved into a game though. Addressing these issues should be a per-group decision on whether or not the group feels this needs addressed in their games. That's the problem that I have with it (not that guy). It's pointless because 1) people who care about this are probably already dealing with it in some way and 2) people who don't care are just going to flip past it or ignore it.

Are these acceptable Yantras for Moros?

Bone Knife
Calcified Coral
Mortar and Pestle

Are there 2e rules for creating a legacy?

>tries to deny that those characters are aggressively "progressive"
>thinks Sam Haight is cool
I'm starting to get a clearer picture.

Has any of you guys ever run a story containing playing characters from different sides of the WoD?

How did it go?

Is there anything in particular that I should know before attempting something like this?

Clan books for VtR kinda suck. Get the covenant books though, as a VtR Forever GM I can say they are a treasure trove of knowledge.

If you have questions im right here

>Clan books for VtR kinda suck
I don't know, I kinda liked the Daeva one. The story about that guy throwing his entire life in the shitter for an average Daeva was really neat.

Not that guy but i recently came into quite a few wod books one of which is hunter which i am interested in running. Any tips for a comeplete noob or suggested reading. I have no experience with this system and im having a little trouble.

>Is there anything in particular that I should know before attempting something like this?
Pretty much all the splats hate each other.

Yes. Summer Court Fairest Draconic and his best friend, a Frankenstein, against life-sucking reaper things. We both got the ability for lifesucking ourselves, and in the end, were forced to duke it out. High-octane action, so not typical WoD, but that's what our ST does.

Mind that the different themes are probably totally incompatible.

This. Additionally, the cosmology gets really messy when you mix splats and the different types of supernaturals have different agendas.

Vigil or Reckoning?

The only splat mixing I do is when the other splats are NPCs

How it should be, really.