/btg/ Battletech

---------------------------------

Duane Loose Sweet Tank-Booty edition

The /btg/ is dead - long live the /btg/!

Old thread: =================================

BattleTech video-game pre-alpha gameplay
youtube.com/watch?v=FjEeDz51pHE

==================================

>BattleTech Introductory Info and PDFs
bg.battletech.com/?page_id=400

>Overview of the major factions?
bg.battletech.com/universe/great-houses/
bg.battletech.com/universe/the-clans/
bg.battletech.com/universe/other-powers/

>How do I find out which BattleMechs a faction has?
masterunitlist.info/

Unit Designing Softwares
>SSW Mech Designer
solarisskunkwerks.com/
>MegaMek Lab
megameklab.sourceforge.net/

>/btg/ does a TRO:
builtforwar.blog(not spam)spot.com/

>How do I do this Against the Bot thing?
pastebin.com/pE2f7TR5 (embed)
NEW! - Against the Bot pastebin updated link:
bg.battletech.com/forums/index.php/topic,40948.0.html
NEW! - Mediafire link for the most current AtB rule set: mediafire.com/file/dyjdl62htdpbfgy/rules_2.30.xls

>Map of /btg/ players (WIP):
zeemaps.com/map?group=1116217&add=1

>Rookie guides
pastebin.com/HZvGKuGx

>Sarna.net - BattleTech Wiki
sarna.net/wiki/Main_Page

>Megamek - computer version of BattleTech. Play with AI or other players
megamek.info/

>BattleTech IRC
#battletech on irc.rizon.net

>PDF Folders
mediafire.com/folder/sdckg6j645z4j/Battletech
mediafire.com/folder/cj0tjpn9b3n1i/Battletech
mediafire.com/folder/tw2m414o1j9uj/Battletech_Archives

/btg/'s own image board: - (2017-02-08 - Still getting worked on & now has 10735 pics!)
bgb.booru.org/index.php

More goodies! (Rare manuals, hex packs, TROs, discord server, etc.) Last updated 2017-02-10!
pastebin.com/uFwvhVhE

And still misses the Discord.

FFS user, get it right for once.

>More goodies! (Rare manuals, hex packs, TROs, discord server
It's in the pastebin. What am I missing now?

I think you need to do a clean sheet redesign from the base chassis rather than messing with an existing config, because there's not enough room to fit so many DHS. Even if you remove the arm actuator, the tonnage isn't there.

>a blood kite that doesn't look utterly vomit-inducing

It's a miracle

>alright so that was their invasion numbers not clan total, thanks

True, but if you're playing in a Clan Invasion era game, the numbers and composition of the units located in the Homeworlds are moot anyway since they won't play a part in your games.

That is so odd. I simply removed the weapons from the A and it came out all right. I wonder where the screw-up came from.

I tried it again with both MegaMek and SSW and got weird results. The crits worked out, but both were underweight.

Might as well post it here as well, then.

>Lao Hu isn't digitgrade
You fucked up.

Trebuchet with JJ and SRMs, basically an in-between the -5J and -5S
Yes or no?

Very yes. SRM Treb basically screams city fighter and the JJs help it excel there, and I've done similar myself.

Introtech I just ditch some heat sinks for the jets, but beyond that a simple DHS refit makes the weight and then some allowing for beefed up armor.

The TRO art and the models for it show it as plantigrade.

Only the Mechcommander 2 version shows it as digitigrade, but then again, mechcommander 2 made both the cyclops and the enfield digitigrade.

Was there ever a time the Lyrans made worse mechs than the Dracs or Free Worlders?

I want to make like a second line Lyran force with their crap mechs.

Newb here, what are these?

Closest thing to bad mechs they ever have are the ones they capture from their non-Clan neighbors. So make it a force of Albatrosses, Hermes IIs, Dragons and Panthers.

Doodles art user does.

In order, from left to right:

>Top row
Dervish, Blood Kite, Lao Hu

>Bottom row

It technically isn't
The best version (mech commander 2) has chicken legs, though

Enfield looks way better in MC2, though.

Oh I know, but since I like the MC one a lot, and have a custom I think needs to be digitgrade, I am OFFENDED by plantigrade Lao Hus.

Someone tried to fix it using the original TRO art

Cappie mechs have some great aesthetic

True. Their TRO has almost always been more fun than the other Houses.

One of my favorites was TRO 3055. What did the CapCon get? The Snake, Huron Warrior and Thunder. Each fit a state-oriented top-down industry.

>Snake uses the Vindicator chassis and is geared towards anticipation fighting battle armor
>Huron Warrior is a platform to carry a gauss and provide support
>Thunder exists put more heavies in the field and has an AC/20

Just works great. They're not flashy, they're not perfect FedCom toys, but they function well as part of a unit.

Jesus, I hate Franz Vhowinkel more than I hate Lewis, Knutson, or Huda. His line art is like bad G.I. Joe comic book art. Painful stuff.
Caps are definitely the fun mech Confederation

>Jesus, I hate Franz Vhowinkel more than I hate Lewis, Knutson, or Huda. His line art is like bad G.I. Joe comic book art. Painful stuff.

Okay good idea for a topic for this new thread. Who is everybody's favorite artists for: machines, character art, painting quality art (highly colored), action scenes and other? I'd love to hear opinions.

Is it possible to run the Mechwarrior RPG via Roll20? Has anyone ever tried?

N i c e

In the last categories, I have no clear favourites but re: the first two:

>machines
Shimmy.
>character art
The dude or dudette who did the newish Era Report art with Cute Aletha Kabrinski and Colonel "Simon from Demolition Man".

>
...Anonymous
02/12/17(Sun)15:25:01 No.51692175
115 KB
115 KB JPG
#
>Who is everybody's favorite artists for: machines
Plog, hands down. His initial work is weird (Those Clan vehicles but he became Elder God tier ever since.

>character art
I like the Masters and Minions art, but I don't know which picture was done by who

>painting quality art (highly colored), action scenes
Both shimmering sword and flying debris

>and other?
The guy who did Maximum Tech cover (Mike something) was also good at doing colored and B&W illustrations

Damn son, those are some nice sketches. Did you also do that Crusader that's floating around here? It looks like your work

Jum jets. I assumed that part of the copying the Nova thing meant making the TImber Wolf 5/8/5 rather than just 5/8.

Have your digitigrade Lao Hu.

I did the Crusader and the Bandersnatch, yeah.

It's my way of shitposting /btg/.

For characters I've long had a fondness for Earl Geier's stuff. Could be a bit inconsistent in quality, but given the sheer amount of illustrations he made in the early 90s for the game it's not surprising.

That is a thousand times better version of the Bandersnatch than the TRO art.

Plog is up there for 'mech art: his technical drawings are pretty much bar-none. ShimmeringSword does great art pieces, things that are great for illustration or telling a story.

Most of the rest of the art seems to take a backseat though. Character art is mostly mediocre-to-crap, with a few good pieces/artists, but nothing spectacular -- no surprise though, since the humans aren't the stars of the show. Other art tends to be poor. I think back to looking at the equipment showcases from MW2 and how nearly everything was a derivative of a Desert Eagle or M16.

Though whoever did the equipment art in TW/etc. did a great job. Guessing that's Plog?

I think all of their 3145 machines are said to be lack luster, like their King Crab variant and their Zeus-X.

>equipment showcases from MW2 and how nearly everything was a derivative of a Desert Eagle or M16

Wasn't that TRO 3026? I remember it had the "AR-18 with a funny butt" and "M16 with the serial number and some bits filed off" art for the personal equipment. Also one of the weapons was a direct copy of a weapon from 2300AD with some minor differences. They actually might have been by the same artist, IIRC.

She looks like that girl next door friend type that ends up sucking your dick In your truck after a football game because she feels like guys aren't interested in her and misinterprets your friendship.

>Who is everybody's favorite artists for: machines, character art, painting quality art (highly colored), action scenes and other? I'd love to hear opinions.

Jim Holloway, and that's not just because of his other work on Dungeons and Dragons, Star Frontiers and Paranoia.

What's your favorite Kurita mech?

And what do you think of rear-facing weapons?

Yes on Assaults

Akuma, probably.

"What if we made an Atlas, but made it look EVEN MEANER."

>I did the Crusader and the Bandersnatch, yeah.

>It's my way of shitposting /btg/.

If that's your definition of shitposting, spread them ass cheeks and let 'er fly. You do professional work.

Aww yea nigga thats whats up!

>"What if we made an Atlas, but made it look EVEN MEANER."
And more useless.
Can't forget that.

>The dude or dudette who did the newish Era Report art with Cute Aletha Kabrinski and Colonel "Simon from Demolition Man".

You know...that Aletha looks a LOT like the old-school Incase sameface.

I'm not saying Incase did that art, but...

Cool. Would you be interested in doing the Lineholder in your style? It's a great design, but it suffers horribly from 3058 syndrome

As requested, reposting compiled data.

This data is an accounting of EVERY Clan unit found in the Clan Jade Falcon Sourcebook, so people can build accurate Invasion-era RATs and/or argue about stuff from a position of knowledge rather than ignorance and what's listed on Sarna (but I repeat myself).

A few notes:
1) I'm almost certainly off by 1-2 Mechs across the entire project just through sheer attrition, but I can't see having missed more than ~3 in total. There's not going to be enough margin for error to significantly change distributions.

2) The number of Mad Cats from the Sourcebook is increased by 1, and the number of Mad Dogs is dropped by 1. The CJF Sourcebook lists Aiden Pryde as piloting a Mad Dog, when we have incontrovertible evidence he piloted a Mad Cat: novels always trump sourcebooks. However, I wanted to ensure I'm copping to the fact that I changed this result from the Sourcebook.

3) This isn't the entire CJF Touman. Several galaxies stayed back in the Homeworlds. However, since those galaxies didn't participate in Revival, their presence or absence from the overall distribution is immaterial. For purposes of construction Invasion unit distributions, they may as well not exist.

4) The numbers aren't all divisible by 5 because there are several formations (mostly Solamha) who don't have full stars. There's an aerospace trinary with 4 fighters, for example.

5) Also, some genius constructed a Star containing 4 Ullers and a Daishi. Yes, really. 8th Falcon Regulars, Trinary Bravo, Bravo Eye 3 Star. Page 84.

6) If somebody wants my raw data note-taking sheet for some reason, I can post that again. My next post will be a PNG of this data so mobile types don't have to load a PDF.

7) The only changes made from last night's posting are corrections to typos ("OmniFighter" to "AeroFighter", and increasing a column width to account for the length of the word "Sparrowhawk"). No actual data has been changed from that posting to this.

The Blood Kite just resists unfucking.

>and the PNG

Never heard of him, but I just checked ER3052 and I think the one who did Aletha was just about the only one who didn't sign the art. Col Francis "Simon Phoenix" Carranza and Col Grayson "Rod Stewart" Carlyle were by Ray Arrastia (and I fucking swear Jaime Wolf, Morgan Kell and Ulric Kerensky are based on some real-life personality). The perennial favourite of /btg/, Lincoln Osis and the incredible illustration of Subhash Indrahar, for example, are by Eric Williams. But son of a bitch, the artist who did two of my favourite pictures in the book, ie. Aletha and the one in pic related, didn't bother to sign.

Pic related: the man who measures a full 12 on the 1-10 "hard man" scale, Shin Yodama.

Grayson Carlyle is almost obviously based off of Owen Wilson though. Don't forget that Shang Tsung is Charles Bronson in yellowface too.

>Also, some genius constructed a Star containing 4 Ullers and a Daishi. Yes, really. 8th Falcon Regulars, Trinary Bravo, Bravo Eye 3 Star. Page 84.

And? I've used that composition and it rocks.

What's wrong with it?

Should the laser barrels be more embedded into the frame?

Clearly you don't go to /d/.

Also, I'm like 98% sure that's not Incase. He doesn't put blush on the cheeks like that. I'd put a lot of money on it being Mark Winters. If you'll look at pic related, the pencil blending style on the face - while rougher - is nearly identical.

Winters has a dA page. You could contact him there and ask.

Fuck you for stripping my image when I clearly needed that not to happen.

OK, Mark Winters sketch, take 2.

>If you'll look at pic related, the pencil blending style on the face - while rougher - is nearly identical.

Damn, I missed Tsen Bronson, probably because when I think of Bronson I think of Death Wish III.

Also, and I don't know how I missed *this*, but Hanse H. Davion is James T. Kirk and now that that I think of it, Jaime Wolf looks suspiciously like Sean Connery as Marko Ramius. Ulric looks so bloody familiar but I can't connect the face.

I think Aidan "FOXHOUND" Pryde is also by the one who did Shin and Aletha as well. Still on the fence with Barbara Sennet, who, whilst mega cute, looks slightly not-similar.

>based on some real-life personality
>not traced over shots of real life personalities

This is the reason I dislike Masters and Minions or the ER3052 portrait art.

>Clearly you don't go to /d/

Nnnnope. I ventured there once and... nnnope.

But yeah, Aletha's pic does look a lot like Rogue, maybe run through a bit of Photoshop.

And damn it, I still can't tell who Khan Ulric reminds me of. The closest I got was Mark Hamill as Christopher Blair with a moustache and beard added.

I mean, one can bring all the weapons closer into the main frame, but then it loses much of its old charm and makes it look more and more like Alex' Linebacker and Nova.

>Grayson Carlyle is almost obviously based off of Owen Wilson though.
I thought Carlyle was written in the 1980s, unless you're talking about his son. (I forget what his name was.)

>Don't forget that Shang Tsung is Charles Bronson in yellowface too.
I thought there was a guy in I think Rolling Thunder who looked like Bronson.

Yeah, he looks a lot like mark hamil in that one obscure movie where he had a beard

No user, go look at ER:3052, or any of Ray Arrastia's art, where all of his characters are based off of celebrities. Or jump in without paying attention to the conversation. 50/50.

I like better this
way user

You're not playing on game-centered hitboxes here. Go with the more unique look, imo.

Are the Capellans wrong for the degree of venomous animosity they old towards the Federated Suns?

Capellans seem hate the Suns the way the Suns hate the Combine in the Draconis March.

>Are the Capellans wrong for the degree of venomous animosity they old towards the Federated Suns?

The Capellans are wrong because they're Capellans. If their leaders weren't insane people willing to pull tactics completely beyond the pale, the Suns wouldn't have been morally obligated to go stomp on them.

They made their bed, now they can lie in it. Might as well ask if Nazis are wrong for having animosity towards Americans or Russians.

Your mech looks horrible and animu-generic

Mission Impossible Tom Cruise for Aidan

Your face looks horrible.
Also, for all the shit the redrawn Jap edition Battletech designs get, they are anything but generic anime look.
Battletech is using the generic anime look, these guys are for the better or worse unique.

desudesu

>Lineholder

Sure.

I'm just curious as to what elements of the blood kite that one user finds un-likeable.

Like I said, if one were to bring the weapons closers to the frame, then the end result would look like a larger fisted version of Alex' Linebacker he did for MWO.

Well, I guess she's not compensating for lacking anything down there by driving a Fire Moth.

On a scale of 1 - 10, how bad is the Cyclops?

And is there even any point in taking one?

This is my fetish

-32. Compared to the Hellstar, it's complete worthless shit. Totally not worth taking one unless you're doing it for fluff. And if you aren't playing a game to win, what's the point?

That looks terrible and even more nonsensical that the nonsense we already have.

>Hellstar

I'd rather not get hard countered by the Quasimodo.

Plus, don't the Kraken and Daishi put out more damage than a Hellstar technically speaking?

I keep hearing they can out do the thing for damage.

>even more nonsensical that the nonsense we already have.

You can't have less than nothing, user.
Making sense was never a part of Battletech, like it or not.
Go watch Patlabor or something if you want to play the sensible/realistic/... note, this is just a game where giant robots do backflips to punch each other.

>That looks terrible.
They wouldn't win a beauty contest but it's done to a reasonable standard which puts it pretty high as far as Battletech art goes.

(assuming 1 is a Targe, 10 is Gausszilla on steroids)
Purely competitively: 3. The Cyclops carries an AC/20, which is pretty scary in 3025, but has relatively frail armor and isn't good for much outside 6-9 hexes. If you see one, respect the threat of the can opener, but otherwise feel free to disrespect with PPCs at your option.

Fluffy: 5. It's a hell of a command ride thanks to Quirks, it's an assault in an era when those were worth their weight in gold-pressed latinum, no matter how bad they are, and it's got a can opener. You could do worse, but still, it does have issues. Turns out that its armor is terrible, it's over-engined, and its only long-range threat is an LRM-10, which is pretty puny honestly.

Overall: Great fluff choice for appropriate factions, wouldn't take it for much else.

Here is your lineholder doodle.

Looks great man. Thanks

Damn you work fast, keep up the awesome work artanon!

Fuck, you nail the BT aesthetic so hard

would fight in the chaos march with/10

Now make a Cobra, the more cylon the better.

shit nigga, at least say please

Any fellow Canopus players here?

Or really any other factions besides FWL. I've gathered from the last few weeks spent here that /btg/ is purple bird central.

Why did you pick the faction you did? I went with the Magistracy for perhaps a silly reason: I'd just read "Dune" for the first time, remembered Arrakis was Canopus III, and when reading Battletech lore saw "Canopus" and just went with it. Haven't regretted it as I've gone on with the faction.

>Any fellow Canopus players here?

You came to the wrong neighborhood, motherfucker.

NEA is a big whoretrannyfag, and there's at least one other guy

Clanfag here, the reason I chose my faction is complex and hard to describe, but in short:

JAG HARDER

I've always thought the problem was that it's, in theory, a moderately protected command 'mech, but when you really look at it the damn thing is built purely for close range brawling. SRM 4, two medium lasers, that AC 20 with only the LRM 10 for long range work.

So it has a role where it's too slow to reach a firing position, too fragile to last very long and everyone that isn't drunk is just going to avoid it.

I'm a Taurian guy. I picked them because periphery 2e and fuck year space cowboys.

>Or really any other factions besides FWL

The Word of Blake: because false-flags are fun!

Magistracy is objectively the worst faction except all the other ones. No MOC player has ever contributed anything of note to the Battletech community; every one of them is a waste of humanity. The only thing worse than an MOC player is CGL.

That looks like that one animu pic which is an amalgamation of various well known anime girls and archetypes in one big joke.

Hell, at least they were always interesting and went out swinging.

You're right. I got excited and came off all demanding. A cobra would look fantastic in that style though.

You whipped that up, THAT FAST?! Whoa.

What's an NEA? Wasn't Trump getting rid of that?

I'll do more later. Need to enter Clan training doctrine mandated resting stasis now.

Yes, but BT is western nonsense. Less so at the start, but far moreso now. That's eastern nonsense, and a move back to the bad old days. Nobody wants to go back to the bad old days. Keep it western.

But battletech was only good when it was cribbing off of eastern mech designs.

I like playing Jags, because JAG HARDER even if I'm shit and need to git gud so I don't die horribly every time