/5eg/ Fifth Edition General:

> New Unearthed Arcana: Sorcerer
media.wizards.com/2017/dnd/downloads/26_UASorcererUA020617s.pdf
> Don't forget to fill out the survey for Rangers and Rogues.
sgiz.mobi/s3/88d00d488e70

> Official /5eg/ Mega Trove v4b
mega.nz/#F!z8pBVD4Q!UIJWxhYEWy7Xp91j6tztoQ

> Pastebin with resources and so on:
pastebin.com/X1TFNxck

> /5eg/ Discord server
discord.gg/0rRMo7j6WJoQmZ1b

> 5etools
5egmegaanon.github.io/5etools/5etools.html

> Previous thread
What are the memest builds 5e has to offer?

How important is it to adhere to Challenge Rating when constructing encounters, or is it just better to eyeball it?

Second for SPACE MONKS.

It's just a guideline. Sometime your party can over perform or under perform.

Al-Qadim WHEN

W H E N

If we whine about no official Al-Qadim enough will they cater to our demands?

I seem to have remembered some place in some book on how to run monsters in groups as a single unit to control, am I crazy or is this true?

how do you make a planaboo character ?

>What are the memest builds 5e has to offer?
Bad OP

Adhere but shoot slightly lower than recommended as you figure out what your party can handle.

how would you go about making Seinfeld into a character? apart from the obvious, like him being a human bard, what skills, spells, etc would you pick?

They launched a "favorite setting" poll around the time 5e came out. So far they've been basing their releases on that poll with a special preference for FR as an olive branch for ruining the setting for 4e. So it'll probably be one of the FR supplements if they decide to keep cranking them out, but people have been whining about the FR-centric releases so maybe not.

from my experience the number categorising of CRs needs to increase. There are some CR2s that will get one shotted and there are some CR2s that are way tougher. They need a CR2,5 or something, like for the ones below 1

Should be in DMG. I remember that too. Swarm rules

Seems more like a rogue with an entertainer background to be. The show ended with him going to jail ffs.

are there any aquatic undead out there?

I need something for a bit with a lighthouse.

Undead don't need to breathe dude.

I found it, "Handling mobs" on page 250 of DMG.

I meant undead that work better in that environment.

or should I just slap a template on a few shawagain or kuo-toa group?

There was that one 3.x drowning undead that was fucking horrific. You could update that.

I'll look that up if I can get a name for it to search.

I think just the Drowned. Mainly awful in that they were very good at hiding and:
>Drowning Aura (Su): A drowned gives off a 30-foot-radius emanation of suffocating drowning, imbuing its surroundings with a watery glint and deadly threat for creatures that breathe. All breathing creatures within 30 feet of a drowned are treated as if beneath water in terms of being able to breathe. The drowning aura accelerates the process of drowning. Normally a creature can hold its breath for a number of rounds equal to twice its constitution score before it begins to drown. Within the drowning aura, a creature can only hold its breath if it makes a DC 10 Constitution check every round. Each round, the DC increases by 1. When the character fails its constitution check, it begins to drown. In the first round, it falls unconscious (0 hit points). In the following round, it drops to -1 hit points and is dying. In the third round if still in the drowning aura, it drowns.

Could work, which tells you how little difference there is between most monsters. Most of them don't have much going on past the basic requirements, i.e. AC, HP, and some number of physical attacks per turn.

I was going to say "If you want to make a really terrifying aquatic undead, give them a grapple attack and have them try to drown the PCs.", a la Drowners in the Witcher series, but I just looked it up and 5e doesn't have rules for drowning. So much for that one, then.

I wonder about homebrewing it as a form of exhaustion.

Got 1 sugesstion but posting on this thread for visibility:
How to make Apple Bobbing into a mini game/ Skill Challenge?

Thinking of doing a "how many can you get in 25 seconds?" type of thing and do 4 rounds of die rolling.

Or should I come up with another sort of thing like maybe a piñata?

you might see and use those rules
grapple and drown might be the way to go because the Drowning aura looks very nearly too frightening to spring on my players too soon.

>players walk into cave
>ROLL CON
>roll fails
>"something is wrong in this part of the cave and as you reflexively stagger back you cough up a few pints of seawater"

>piñata
>roll to hit vs Piñata AC
>while having the Blind condition
>after sustaining X amount of damage, piñata is defeated and bursts, providing lots and lots of tasty sweets

What's the sitch with the lighthouse? What level are your players?

party level should be about 7 or 8 when they discover the lighthouse issue(i am inexperienced DM is this low or high? or should I be more concerned with tailoring the encounter to the party)

party has irritated a very clever...I'm going to use the term "death fabricator"...

that was a month or three ago.

the lighthouse is on a rocky outcrop in some recently acquired territory for the party.

the undead are there to observe the party and left in the charge of a lesser subservient spirit.

the lighthouse keeper might or might not be complicit in the sense of...
>"think of it this way, my associates will man your lighthouse and keep the beacon burning bright so you don't have to do the work and in exchange we will be renting your (basement/small nearby cave). you will not tell anyone coming [to this isolated rocky outcropping] to deliver supplies, nor will you report any of our activities. do this, or die and do it anyway, there is no option three"

7/8 is enough to be willing to fuck the players up. Some stuff that jumps out as ideas to me:
>undead jellyfish, like those huge jellyfish that can spread their stingers out hundreds of feet in water - don't fall in
>undead boat - literally a boat made out of fused together corpses (covered in nails for the ship norse mythology ref). Tons of and mouths that clutch at you if you're boarding, probably a single head on board that has to be destroyed to kill it
>the lighthouse 'light' is a horrible flesh machine (maybe made out of a beholder or something) that resurrects any corpses it shines upon, it spotlights the PCs as they journey across the island which is covered in corpses ofc
>network of tunnels under the island which act as a prison for an undead or just starving giant. PCs will have to fight the limbs of this before they encounter it properly
>flocks of undead seabirds harass the PCs (including tearing the sails of their boat)

It depends how gruesome you want to get and how long the necro has had time to set up.

Fifth edition foes from Necromancer games has that one I think
Should be in the mega.
I know I saw it between there or Tome of Beasts.

I'm about to spend 100€ buying 600 dice of various colors (50 for each type).

I need someone to tell me if this is a good idea.

Why do you need 600 dice...

600 players in his group?
Or one guy running 600 characters

are you supplying a group or play area of sufficient size to need that many?

if yes then yes.
if no then no.

that shit sounds horrifying, is that what 7s or 8s have the capability of dealing with?
they have no cleric. ranger and a druid, but no other casters. 3-man party.

nah, someone running 50 characters by the look of it...

Anyone that can cast Planeshift?

Currently Rogue 3 (Swashbuckler)/Warlock 1 (going Bladelock, focusing on melee combat over spells).

Dex is 17, CHA is 14 (DM forced the multiclass but I'm quite enjoying it).

Planning to go R3/W2 for invocations, then R4/W2 for the ASI, then Warlock onwards.

For the first ASI I'm going to bump Dex and CHA both up by one to get the Dex modifier up, but I'm not sure where I should go from there.

I could go Dex to 20 at level 8, and then CHA to 17 at 12, but I feel like having a stat on odd numbers is unoptimised. Likewise applies to putting Dex to 19 and CHA to 16 at level 8.

Should I go with one of these routes, or should I leave them when they hit evens and put a point in something else?

If the dual wielder feat also added 1 Dex my life would be a lot better.

Zombie sharks with legs.

There is very, very few functional differences between an even stat and an odd one. Every ASI your modifier still goes up, that's all that really matters.

Post character concepts

I have an idea for a Warlock who has to adventure in order to pay off his Patron, an elder dragon from the lower levels who just wants to expand it's hoard and has several such agents.

How useful can I be in a Circle of the Land(Sea) Druid when we are travlling on land?

Yeah, that's why I advocate for 'pushback against a creature a size larger is halved for every size larger it is'
It's not realistic, realistic would be 'quartered for every size larger and an increasing flat resistance is applied', but the realistic version is no-fun-allowed and the RAW completely unrealistic version is just stupid.

Depends. Are you playing a 'YOU MUST KILL EVERYTHING' campaign or 'monsters are exp'? Then yes.

If it's anything like a coast druid, it'll be just fine. You'll still have occasions with water, sometimes, and even then the extra spells are simply just extra spells.

As for being a land druid at all, moon druids are better at the low levels and land druids are better at the higher levels.

Well I'd rather make potentially interesting encounters that isn't necessarily limited by needing a must-have limit of how many monsters you supply.

What?

>Oh no, I can't pushback literally fucking everything as effectively as a fairy
Agonizing blast + repelling blast is already fucking brilliant. The problem is that it honestly kind of lacks weaknesses. It's fine to give it a weakness in that it can't stunlock a fucking god in a corner.

Warlocks are already good if you're not playing them wrong, they're just not tier 1, and them not being tier 1 doesn't justify letting them do batshit stupid things.

Also, warlock multiclasses can reach tier 1 material sometimes.

CR around 5 is pretty wonky too with some being anal rape in monster form and others fodder that your group could kill 20 of without a rest.

Both a 16 and a 17 are a +3 mod. If you go from 16 to 18 or 17 to 19, your modifier still only increases by 1 to a +4.

There's a route you can take with game planning where every encounter could possibly be fought, avoided, talked out, planned by the players for an ambush or something so the players get an advantage, possibly foiled if the enemies have a plan to stop them getting the advantage, having the enemies often run away, that sort of thing. If you opt for more dynamic combat in those terms then CR means even less as it kind of depends on what the monsters do, and some very well organised low CR monsters could be a nightmare if they all shoot projectiles at you from trenches.
If you want to be extremely loose on CR, you should probably remind the players that the encounters are not carefully tailored to them and thus the players should avoid combat with or escape really hard encounters.

Of course, if you just want a 'make a balanced walk-up-and-smash-everything adventure quick' thing then CR is good for building encounters that doesn't end up with 4 dire wolves with nightivison at night attacking a half-blind low level party.

>Bard
>Not Swarm Druid
Sounds like you're not Thinking Bee, user.

Yeah coast druid

What are some good motivations for a Yuan-Ti Pureblood to go adventuring?

To give as many bitches the Snake Dick as possible

I could be supplying the entire group with additional dice. However, we really don't need that many.

I'm considering doing this more for the fact that I will never have to buy dice ever again, and for the coolness factor of rolling 20 something dice all together in the rare situation the game calls for it (I'm the DM).

Yes, that's MY point. Nigger you tryin reverse psychology on me?

My question is, I could go:

1/3 ASI
>DEX 17->18
>CHA 14->15

2/3 ASI
>DEX 18->20

3/3 ASI
>CHA 15->16
>??? -> ???+1

Or:

1/3 ASI
>DEX 17->18
>CHA 14->15

2/3 ASI
>DEX 18->19
>CHA 15->16

3/3 ASI
>DEX 19->20
>??? -> ???+1

Looking at the numbers, I'll probably go with the former option because that gives me the CHA boost at the same time as I get Lifedrinker and I'll get more use out of DEX for longer, though it does mean I have to follow my current course of sticking to no-save spells most of the time.

But on top of that, what ??? should I put a point into at 3/3 ASI?

>Additionally, when you gain a level in this class, you can choose one of the warlock spells you know and replace it with another spell from the warlock spell list, which also must be of a level for which you have spell slots.

If I'm reading this right, that means a level 3 Warlock could have 2 level 1 spells and 2 level 2 spells, right?

Is playing full Swashbuckler any good? Is multiclassing required?

> Is multiclassing required
In 5e, multiclassing is never required. Unless you're a warlock, in which case the best multiclass is warlock 1/literally anything else instead 19.

Correct. But remember that
>a) they'll be cast at 2nd level
>b) you can only cast 2 before needing a rest

Swashbuckler is the best-tier Rogue archetype. It makes it hard not to get sneak attacks, you get a boost to initiative, and at later levels you can control the battlefield.

You may wish to take a dip in something with Two Weapon Fighting to make full use of the Swashbuckler's free Disengage/two weapon fighting advantage, but it's not needed.

I might suggest you go halfsies on that 600 is far more than any person needs(usually) I have far fewer than that in a decorative salad bowl on my coffee table mixed with some acrylic battle-map tokens and glass marker-beads

might be a bit much...but then this isnt a nautical game it just has a bit by the sea.
I want them to get that fishy taste in their mouths by the time they're done there...
and I never want it to leave them

> Warlock 2/ 18 anything else
FTFY

It gathers information for the higher castes.
It wishes to escape discrimination of being looked down upon by other yuan-ti.
It searches for a method of permanently transforming itself and ascending from the caste it was born into.
It doesn't believe in the changes that have been wrought on its people and wishes to find permanent transformation back into human form.

>Implying warlock1 to 5 isn't good for various multiclasses
>Implying warlock isn't actually okay, just not as good as a wizard, much like sorcerer

5 levels of barbarian will probably make you better, but I wouldn't say it's necessary, definitely if you want to focus on skill monkeying.

>Also, warlock multiclasses can reach tier 1 material sometimes.

Oh? Which ones?

If I made a houserule that sorcerers can swap out their metamagic choices on a long rest, would you want to play a sorcerer more now? Nice buff to sorcs or too much?

DEX 20 ASAP

Fighter 2/Warlock 2/Sorcerer comes to mind.

Can an Unseen Servant carry a liquid?

Tier 1-ish Warlock Multiclasses
Tomelock3/PaladinX (Though at higher levels I'd probably say bard6/paladinX is better, maybe)
Warlock2/AbjurationWizardX
Fighter2/Warlock2/SorcererX (Not quite as good without close combat shooting UA fighting style or in a party that doesn't benefit from the excessive pushback)
Tier 1.5 Warlock Multiclasses
Warlock2/SorcererX
Tier 2 Warlock Multiclasses
Bladelock5RogueX

Are you trying to fuck it

moving the convo to this thread since it seems everyone migrated here

I also think Knight could be a decent archetype for the mark. If I roll good stats maybe knight so I can grab Shield

>Oh? Which ones?

sorlock. EB-quickened EB, with font of magic and warlock slots you get sorc point or 6+ level slots on short rest.

paladin/warlock. short rest high level smite, EB.

But TWF will compete witg cunning action for the bonus action

No, I'm trying to gather water sans bucket.

>fighter 2
big mistake there

y tho?
>Armor prof
>Second Wind (Though it isn't much at higher levels)
>Close Quarters Shooter style for EBs (If your DM allows UA stuff)
>Action Surge (this is the important bit)
>Your EB levels based on your total character level, not your Warlock level

>Turn 1- Hex, EB
>Turn 2- Quickened EB, EB, Action Surge EB
>If you took Repelling Blast watch as the enemy gets sent into the distance Team Rocket style

>Big mistake
Why?
An action surge every short rest, +1 AC fighting style (Or +1 to hit, no disadvantage within 5ft if yourDM allows that fighting style), plate armour for 18 AC, shield for +2 AC to total out at 20 or 21 AC, then also getting +6 HP over a non-draconic sorcerer (+2 starting HP compared to warlock, +2 hp/level compared to sorcerer) and starting with con saves for concentration (Because you would probably start warlock for 8 starting HP otherwise which doesn't get con saves) and also strength saves as their 'weak' save (strength being the strongest 'weak' save).

You delay spell progression by 2 and definitely get less metamagic points, but the action surge for a combo like hex->eldritch blast->eldritch blast seems like it'd be worth it, or simply having the ability to go limit break and eldritch blast the target three times in a row and push it to the moon.

Yes, you won't get level 9 spells at level 19 or 20 like warlock2/sorcerer17 or 18, but who the fuck plays long enough for that to matter? And if you go that far, you might as well just play a wizard.

What do you call long rest that gets interrupted halfway through because the wizard is a moron and decided to take a nap in a dungeon?

A short rest

Long rests can withstand an interruption of 1 hour, IIRC.

Only for Dash or Hide, or if you get stuck in a crowd. Swashbuckler makes Disengage unnecessary in a 1v1.

Dash has some great synergy with disengaging-attacking, though, as you can move out of the enemy's move-and-attack range after attacking.

Playing a Long Death Monk with 17 CON. Would picking up Tavern Brawler be worth it for the grapples and to bump CON to 18 or is it better to just always use the bonus Unarmed Attack?

All the same, with the various abilities rogues have for avoiding damage already, I'd pick the dual weapons (with increased chances of sneak attack success) over disengage.

How much overlap should there be between Druid and Ranger noncombat utility and skillsets? I'm rolling a druid and want to make sure I don't step on the party ranger's feet.

You're a fucking monk. Focus on getting your dex and wis to 20 before anything else. The only feat I can think of that's actually worth it before then is mobile.
Instead, it's probably better to go +1 con +1 dex/wis if either dex or wis is odd, or +1dex +1wis if both dex and wis are odd, or +2 dex or wis if neither is odd, or if you've finally maxed both dex and wis and have mobile, then...
I don't know. Dual wielder is a possibility, tough is a possibility, polearm master is a possibility, maybe even magic initiate or dungeon delver or alert or-
But, really, tavern brawler doesn't sound like it has any way to make itself worth it. If you want to grapple a creature, replace one of your normal attacks with a grapple and use your bonus action to attack instead, or does long death prevent that?

I'd have dual weapons and booming blade / green flame blade and weigh the value of dashing away after an attack against the bonus attack, then either use the bonus attack if dashing away won't help much and you're not confident you'll definitely hit or use booming blade / GFB otherwise.

'I'm tanky, I can take hits' is a bad strategy unless you're planning to make reaction sneak attacks (not a bad idea, especially for a swashbuckler having easy sneak attacks on reactions) if enemies head towards your allies. If you're out of range of your enemies, they can't even attack you in the first place, and then you don't even need uncanny dodge because your team will take no damage.
Of course, if the enemies would just then move in to attack your allies then you might as well stay at the front lines if it doesn't cause any problems.

Whats the best way to use Searing Arc Strike? Fire at a mob and hope they fail they dex saves?

I'm playing a light hearted game online, focused around stopping someone summoning an evil goddess and during the child destined to destroy the world, and one of the players is a Yuan-ti sorcerer with amnesia. Whatever fave him his powers also resulted in memory loss, so he has no idea that there even are other Yuan-ti, the people who found him figured it was sorcerer stuff that made him have fangs and shit.
Pretty fun campaign, all in all.

>GOOlock + Sea Sorc
>become Cthulhu Knight, Master of Pushbacks
Remind me, does Repelling Blast count for each individual EB hit or for a single instance of EB being cast?

It would have to be for each blast, because you can have the blasts hit different targets. Doesn't make sense otherwise.

EB also procs per hit for abilities like Hex.

Man you'd be able to send people into fucking space with that, and as a Sorc you could take Lightning Lure too. Become the master of battlefield control.

>Cthulu Knight
>Not spooky undead pirate man (Sea Sorc/Undying Warlock/Any Fighter)

So at level 5 with Curse of the Sea that would be what, 75 feet total?

Repelling blast should be able to curse and then move a target on the same turn, causing up to 15ft of extra movement on every turn, including if you somehow eldritch blast using war caster.

>35ft movement at level 5, 55ft with bonus, 75ft with bonus and action surge
>45ft movement at level 11, 75ft with bonus, 105ft with bonus and action surge
>55ft movement at level 17, 95ft with bonus, 135ft with bonus and action surge

Oh, and
>level 5, 110ft if you do all of that AND someone gives you a warcaster reaction attack (Say, the enemy is scared by a teammate)
>level 11, that's 150ft
>level 17, that's 190ft

You could also use your action to store your casting of eldritch blast and then cast it as a reaction on someone else's turn to get +15ft of pushback without using warcaster.

Warlock2/Shadow monk6/Assassin Rogue 12

>tfw the more you look at the skill list the more you feel it was conceived to punish skill monkeys

What's the point of splitting Nature and Burglary in a million subskills again? Did people sincerely whine that Rogue and Ranger were overpowered and how do these people remember how to breathe?

I think teleporting counts as moving, but if you were a solo player that wouldn't be a bad idea if you were a bugbear or something.

What would I play if I wanted to be Tanky cast support spells and be ranged?
I would rather power-up my allies and enable them to do cool shit, rather than just straight up healing.

>AND someone gives you a warcaster reaction attack (Say, the enemy is scared by a teammate)
>variant human, pick warcaster
>get PAM at lvl 8
>push them miles the fuck away right as they enter your reach

I believe it was said that RAI is that PAM's attack MUST use the weapon that was granted PAM's reaction.

However, that suggests you can use booming blade, yet months ago whenever I suggested that some autist kept telling me 'Uhh, no, you can't do that' without providing me any proper proof why you can't. Maybe I should just give up and find a way to use twitter so I can ask if that specific combo works.

Wish spell