Board Games General /bgg/ Light

Board Games General /bgg/ - Abstract and Filler Edition

Previous thread:
Pastebin:
pastebin.com/NA2W929q

What are your favorite abstract and filler games?

What have you played recently and how was it?

What are you currently backing on Kickstarter?

Which 2017 release are you most excited for?

Other urls found in this thread:

kickstarter.com/projects/645536525/trumpocalypse-survival-kit-and-game
kickstarter.com/projects/keymastergames/campy-creatures
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

> What are your favorite abstract and filler games?

Abstract: if Neuroshima: Hex counts - then that. If not chess.

> What have you played recently and how was it?
Got our shit collectively pushed in when playing Ghost Stories. Easiest setting but there were two new players so I decided not to show them full-retard tactics like shotgunning the sorcerer with the blue monk and resurecting him with the green one.

Then we played Imperial Settlers. I love that game. Played Japanese with two other people and barely won - had a disastrous first turn, no production buildings and one action building that gave wood. Second turn wasn't better and I only regained ballance after I got Mill (you gain 1 gold and one VP for each red building you build) in the fourth turn.

To be honest I still don't know how to play Japanese consistently - I just try to aim for high production and try to build as many buildings as possible with a couple of deals thrown along the way (especially if I got the feature card that gives VPs for deals)

> What are you currently backing on Kickstarter?
Nada. I don't believe in kickstarter.

Anybody buying anything from the Target sale?

You missed a question friendo.

Even two

> [...] and filler games?

Welcome to the Dungeon. The only other filler game I like is Love Letter but at this point I think Love Letter is "solved" I don't get the quite same feeling with WttD where there's so many strategies you can go with.

> Which 2017 release are you most excited for?

To be honest - none. Should I be excited for something? The only area of games I feel I'm lacking at the moment are team vs team games.

kickstarter.com/projects/645536525/trumpocalypse-survival-kit-and-game

>all these liberal faggot kickstarters bashing Trump
>every single one fails

Feelsgoodman.jpg

>>What are your favorite abstract and filler games?
Love Letter and Indigo for filler, probably Blokus or Hive for abstract
>What have you played recently and how was it?
got Ticket to Ride USA out on the table yesterday for my non board game playing family, hoping to play more Roll for the Galaxy later today
>What are you currently backing on Kickstarter?
just Alien Frontiers
>Which 2017 release are you most excited for?
Yamatai since I love DoW so much

TI4 when?

>california

Of course.

also
>’m Muslim, Mixed African and Arab, and Queer/Trans.
how do these people survive in the real world

not sure if I should be asking this here, or in the wargame general, but I think wargame general is more focused on miniature games

my 3 POGerator buddies and I have been playing combat commander for a while now and we've found we're more partial to the tactical level of combat rather than operational and strategic or grand scale, and we want more. combat commander is solid, but it doesn't have the customization or openness we really want.

where should we start looking? we've glanced at ASL and a few others but we're not sure if it's worth the cash investment. era doesn't really matter to us, but we're all big fans of pike and shot, ww2 and modern conflicts.

bonus points if it can be played 2v2 and caters to history dweebs

There's always shattered ascension.

Got to recommend the shit out of Heroes of Normandie. Great tactical level customization, as much variety as you have dosh, reasonably simple rules that still leave room for lots of creative play and mind games. Only negatives are that the translations from the original French rules aren't quite perfect and it still uses dice for combat resolution.

One of the most fun point-buy squad building systems I've ever played with.

Play this. You'll love it. Trust me.

i would if i could find it for at least msrp
fuck paying 90 for a game lmao

Better games that do what this attempts but much better and for the same price.

back my game you shitlord

They live in the USA and not in Saudi Arabia or Africa.

welfare

>What are your favorite abstract and filler games?

Depends on who I'm gaming with - Blokus is my all-around favorite for demo-ing modern board games to those unfamiliar with what's out there now other than 'Monopoly or Risk'.

>What have you played recently and how was it?

Blokus, Carcassonne, Roll for the Galaxy, Dark Moon, and all have been fun. (I have a bunch of gaming friends who are a blast in general. Been playing the Mutant 'Year Zero' RPG as well and having a lot of fun.) I'm hoping to get them into some heavier games like Robinson Crusoe, or Exodus.

>What are you currently backing on Kickstarter?

The OGRE Minis KS. Looking forward to some 3D minis.

>Which 2017 release are you most excited for?

Hard to say - I've got a pretty well rounded collection at this point. Now it's a matter of adding new 'stand-out' games rather than simple more 'good' games. (That said I still have 25+ items in my 'wish list' of games.)

hows android netrunner these days? worth a casual play?

Such as?

inb4 Alien Frontiers

I think casual is probably where the game shines the brightest. Absolutely recommend trying out the core set, it's got a lot of content, and you're not out much if the game turns out to be a bad match for you.

>needs 50k for his boardgame, everything looks like garbage
>battlecon needed 30k, game is overloaded with goodies, half of which I do not even use/need, but am happy they are there.

Well how about that.

What's your favorite game anons? I'm trying to figure out what I want to buy myself for my birthday and suggestions are appreciated. I'm definitely interested in trying out one of the LLGs.

>inb4 munchkin
Wil Wheaton got me into the hobby and I used to think it was a good game

Wow. I hate Trump as much as the next liberal, but this is just embarrassing.

>being liberal
>being embarrassing
pick two

>My name is Khadija. I’m Muslim, Mixed African and Arab, and Queer/Trans. On a slightly more serious note, I’m really tired of “safety” being discussed as something you get when you “bomb the ****” out of,” deport, or jail people like me.

Oh boy, this looks like a steaming pile of shit

>got our shit collectively pushed in when playing Ghost Stories
I've been thinking about getting this game. What do you like/not like about it?

I have to ask - what GO set did you buy? I'm looking for a 'nice' set - i.e. a nice one that won't bankrupt me. My collection is bigger (see ) but I still like to be thrifty where and when I can.

ok, ill give it a go if i find it cheaper than it now is (its over 40 dollaroos in my country), are the expansions worth anything for casual playing?

My gaming group is having a problem.
Im trying to start up a Talisman game on a regular basis, we all have a history with the game, and likes it well enough on its classical nature alone.
But thats not the issue, the issue is that, rusty as we are, it just takes for ever. Of the few games we have played, they more than often result in a drop-out, where the "winner" is the guy to give up last. All the while, the rest of us is drained from energy of a 6h+ gaming time. And while fun, as it is the journey and not the goal in itself thats all important, it would be fun to actually know if we are playing the game all wrong?

One of the main issues with my group is that we level up to slow. We go down in to some meaningless expansion board, round and round, and get up just about empty handed (or with a bit of luck some trinket or other crap that undoubtedly will be stolen at the first given opportunity!). Given we are quite a splintered group of guys (the hoarder-guy, the rules-nagger, the "friends with all" - guy and so on) is this the main issue? I was hoping to introduce this to other friends as well, but I'm afraid no one will have the patience for a half a day´s game!

Hows this game?
Cheap, 20 something dollars.

I'm looking for something around that price-range, any recommendations?

It's not fantastic but my parents got it for me for chistmas a couple of years ago. I'm still garbage at it and I've never been able to find anyone to play with irl ;_;

The expansions add a lot of options to the game, but there's no rush to grab anything in particular. Grab new stuff in whatever order strikes your fancy, really. The bigger expansions focus on specific factions, so if there's one style that appeals to you more than the others in the core set those might be worth looking at.

> Like
Unforgiving
Really fun theme - it's basically Big Trouble In Little China: Tower Defense: The Board Game
Rewards risk minimization
Gorgeous artwork on the cards
> Dislike
The minis feel cheep as fuck
The game is too unforgiving and it feels like there's only one optimal tactic/algorithm that you need to exploit

All in all I like the game. Most of the time we don't even try to play it seriously and try to win it, instead we try to "con" the game (like instead of giving dice to the other player - rolling them if it's a good roll saying "well I rolled it for you - just leave it" we still loose)

> Talisman run-time...

I'm a fan of the older 2nd Edition and have most of the expansions. That said - I'm guessing you're playing with a larger group. For all my love of Talisman for nostalgic reasons (played a lot of it in my 'college days' decades ago) it isn't a 'mechanically well designed' game and those issues become ever more apparent as the number of players increases. Between random die rolls for movement (which can screw a player) and the 'take-that' elements allowing players to attack other players (which can screw a player - Ohhh arena, how I hate thee...) the game simply has WAY TO MANY things that cause the game to drag on and on. I honestly wouldn't play it with more than 4 players, and even then the game can become tiresome depending on how the dice rolls play out.

Honestly, you would be far better served in asking yourself what elements about Talisman you / your group do like? (And then seeing if you can't find something that scratches the itch but does it with better mechanics.) For example:

If you like the 'Take That' elements with a Dungeon exploring theme - then take a look at 'Cutthroat Caverns'.

If you like the leveling up aspect - then take a look at the Dungeons & Dragons board games like 'Wrath of Ashardalon' (and others).

(If you like the idea of Sci-fi 'Dungeon Crawling' - then check out Gears of War, Level 7 Omega Protocol, and the new Doom game among many good offerings now out.)

You might also look at 'Lords of Waterdeep', Deus, Legands of Andor, etc.

The set in your pic isn't bad. It isn't the 'Uber-traditional' set, but then it probably didn't cost of hundreds of $$$ either. As for lack of players, you might look and see if they have a Vassal mod for it, or check out places like 'Board Games Arena' and see if there's a mod for it there. You never know, you might find an online community for it.

> What rules are you currently trying to learn?

I'm working on pic related - Neuroshima Hex 3.0.

Thanks for the reply. As I said, we don't mind the game at all, many people hate it due to the "lulz random!", but we as a group find it fun. Hell, even the games we played has been fun, even though they do drag on and on.

I red a tip on another forum regarding the issue and a poster mentioned most people play Talisman as an "adventure game", instead of the race- game its supposed to be.
Personally I think my group is one of those hoarder´s that never gets through because we are all searching for that last trinket to finish our set of gear, or that last trophy to turn in, and so on. Some of us are worse than others, but this really is an issue overall. Ad to this some of the expansions where the enemies are few, and the rewards granted at the end of the (sometimes hellish!) journey. Or expansions like the City, which doesn't really do much but give the player with enough gold an opportunity to buy stuff he otherwise would have found on the adventure map!

So next time I think we (or I at least) will try a different approach, know when my power is enough, and know if its really worth running down the expansions straight of the bat.

kickstarter.com/projects/keymastergames/campy-creatures

bruh you gotta be more subtle than that

you gotta say things like, "man, this ticks so many boxes for me I hope it's not complete shit"

>giving advice to obviously paid shills so they can shit up the thread more efficiently
wew
e
w

well he'll continue to do it for this game, so it'll still be easy to spot

and besides, we assume everyone posting kickstarter links is a shill anyway

Why? I'm not saying "throw your money at them!" I'm just saying click on it and check it out. Maybe you'll like it I think it looks really cool and I've had a lot of fun playing with the PnP version.

I'll check those out, thanks buddy!

NO

GIVE THEM YOUR MONEY! GIVE THEM YOUR MONTHLY ALLOWANCE!

will be announced 5 min after I give in and buy everything TI3 related.

a real non shill nigga would share the pnp version with us so we can check it out before giving up our hard earned shekels

The problem is - if you have a larger number of player 5 - 6+ - even if you all go straight for the crown of command as soon as possible, the game may well still drag on. Even if everyone is playing attention to what is happening during other player's turns and is ready to go without delay on their own, there's just so many random elements that you can't defend against as a player. You can be part-way up the path to the crown and if someone gets their character to 'The Arena' in the middle ring they can pull you right back down to that location just to have to start the trek to the center all over again. Worse yet, there are ways to steal a Talisman from someone so it can be even more time consuming if everyone attacks each other in order to steal that first talisman. (Cutthroat talisman - where there is only one talisman card in play period - is even more brutal for this issue.) My group does play Talisman - but only on very rare occasions. It's a game where the dice are more in charge than the players.

What you mean a link to the pnp stuff or MY pnp?

the fact that you're now defending yourself rather than just continuing to anonymously talk about the positives of the game really does prove you're a worthless piece of shit, shill or not.

plus like said, if you wanted us to give a shit you would've made us give a shit instead of just trying to get clicks on your ks page

this isn't redditt

>bruh you gotta be more subtle than that

Really. If user *loves* the game so much that they can't even be bothered to write a couple of sentences about why they like and what they think is good about, why would I waste my time?

tl:dr - lazy KS linkage = zero interest / zero fucks given.

i'm trying to figure out why you chose to post that picture when the art is so ugly. it has a retro feel but looks like it was made digitally which is not only a stupid fucking idea it looks cheap

I think the artwork looks great and a picture is worth a thousand words. What do you want me to say? That it's a fun game with a cute monster theme? You play monster cards and capture victims to gain points, or lose points if it didn't go your way.

is it the same as 1st edition ? but different art?

also do expansions work on 1st edition ?

But why? I can just play king of Tokyo/new York instead, and the simplicity makes it a great introductory game.

>What are your favorite abstract and filler games?
>abstract
Santorini
Quantum
Raptor
The Duke
Onitama

>filler
Most of the above qualify as filler, also
BANG! The Dice Game
Deep Sea Adventure

Probably missing a bunch of good games.

Sorry user, I can't answer that one for you. I don't own and have never played the first edition. Considering the 3rd edition rules are online in PDF format, you can easily snag a copy for yourself and see what's different.

How does Star Trek Catan make thematically any sense since the Federation has no means to quarrel for natural recourses with other species?

>That was ok...Well i can see the appeal I guess but boardgames aren't really for me.
>Yea no kidding you intentionally ruined the game pretending to not understand and being as hipster as possible throughout.

Why is the average person so switched off on boardgames. Are children forced to play through board games they hate? I don't get it.

Whats worse people leaving mid game or fucking it up for everyone right till the end? Obviously thats loaded.

So frustrating.

I find that a game isn't fun until maybe the third play through. Yet any game that takes more than few hours never gets a fucking second playthrough. At least soon enough people remember what they'd learned.

What are some tricks to counter this.

because it's just an actual loosely Historical Board game played on the Enterprise D. Apparently it's based on a game from the very end of Earths 20th century.

>What are some tricks to counter this.
You posted a pic of shatner with a chrome deagle. Seems like a reasonable solution if you can afford it.

Those of you that like Dominion: what are some of the most fun card sets you've played with?

I'm experimenting with the base deck; not sure if I want an expansion.

>i think the artwork looks great
was it your genetics or your upbringing that shaped your taste so poorly?

>Why is the average person so switched off on board games?

I can't speak for other parts of the world - but board games that are worth while and provide a mental challenge (like requiring a couple of plays to get the hang off, much less work out ideal strategies) require effort. And a lot of folks don't *really* want to put in mental effort if they don't have to do so. Media in the U.S. is designed to program people to put in minimal mental effort. It makes for better consumers when you can tell them exactly what to buy without coming right out and saying "I order you to..."

> What are some tricks to counter this?

1. Know your players. Some will never be interested in the deeper games / have the patience and attention span to play them. Don't try and force them into those types of games. As you have already noted, this just turns out badly.

2. When you have players that might enjoy the heavier stuff - ease them into it. Let them figure out for themselves that they enjoy the challenge.

3. Teach them about the different categories of board games like Euros, Ameritrash, Deck Builders, etc, and let them find their bliss. I love Space 4x games, but my friend doesn't like the more random elements in Eclipse. I'm hoping to get him to at least try Exodus or Hegmonic, but if not - I have a lot of other stuff I know he likes.

Continued...

4. Be a good teacher. To do this you've got to:

* Know the rules well, and explain them in a straight forward manner. (In complex games run them through a turn or two teaching each phase as you go.)

* Offer the players access to the rules prior to game time - either in the form of PDF's or 'how to play' videos (or both). Occasionally miracles happen and one or more players will actually read the rules before the game (which helps a lot).

* Teach basic strategies and concepts while playing to help the players not feel like 'total newbs' while playing their first game.

* Understand that the first few games are 'teaching' games where the goal isn't for the teacher 'to play to win', but rather to teach others how to enjoy the game and play it better as they gain experience. Offer players 'here's what you can do now - here's how action X might help later vs action Y' information and let them make informed choices.

Example - while trying to learn to play 'Terra Mystica' my host "neglected" to tell me as a first time player that building a bridge before there were colonies on both sides of the river actually prevented me from building a colony on the other side later. (Which I wouldn't have done had anyone informed me of the rules while I was learning.) These can be small things, but they can have a positive or negative influence on how new players precieve the game they're learning.

I gave the ascension app a try and I have to say, the art is something that I'm divided on. Some cards manage to have a nice sketchy style while other just look like a shit.

Do the expansions also have the same artstyle?

the art style changes a bit with each expansion block so every two expansions, and in the newer ones it's basically just magic 2.0
I personally think it was best with realms unraveled and dawn of champions, but even storm of souls and immortal heroes had much better art than the base game.

Nevermind, I just found out their site has a full card database.

sensiblechuckle.jpeg

>Santorini
Oh boy, I sure love paying $50 for a game with all the strategic depth of Connect 4.

Cult of the new get the fuck out.

>being this mentally challenged

>>>reddit

You realize Cult of the New is just code for "wow, games get better every year, but my addiction will become too obvious to family and friends if i buy any more, so i'll pretend they're all shit except mine", right?

>being this delusional

I'm sorry for your poor tastes user

Anyone here played this?

Not this bait again
The game isn't even new

Thank you for the thorough post and good advice.

>implying reddit doesn't circled jerk over santorini until their dicks fall off
fuck off shill. the game is bad but good looking like most ks money grabs. sorry you're so poor you fight to justify your purchases to anonymous strangers on the internet. get a real job

It's not very good either though.

Aight /bgg/, got a story from a situation that arose at a recent gaming session that actually caused heated discourse from one of the participants (which in and of itself is silly and also sort of not super important) with regards to the game dungeon saga, which I recently picked up. Great game btw.

A static rule is that when the overlord runs out of cards in his deck that he draws a single card from every turn, he wins. This is sort of like an unknown timer for the players to deal with so they don't screw around.

With that said, one of the quests lists the win conditions as follows.

>Heroes - Lay the ghost to rest by combining pieces of her heart from the four locked chests

>Overlord - Cripple one of the heroes or stop the heroes from winning before the time runs out

It feels like they did a really clumsy job wording the overlord win condition. The intent is understood of course, but yeah

>Overlord - Cripple a single hero, or the heroes run out of time

Sounds much more clear, and no room for any confusions. Anyways, we had a guy there who absolutely refused to accept that they didn't do a good job with it, just kept repeating that it's crystal clear over and over ad nauseam. Someone else said the same thing, and when I pointed how how someone could misinterpret it, they started screaming.

So yeah, tales from a saturday night dungeon crawl.

It may be because it's late where I live but how was there confusion in the wording of the overlord's win condition? It seems pretty straightforward to me

Teaching is tough. Sometimes more so with board games where the natural temptation is to 'play to win' right from the start. The first few games are like being a crack-dealer. You have to get them hooked. And then once they are hooked you can start slapping them around while they love you for it. ;)

>Concordia still not in stock

JDIMSA

>listening to SUSD
Just get Istanbul

Personally I wouldn't mind this type of random. Because though it holds a great deal of chance, players may opt to hold on to certain spells and such just to "snatch" a Talisman, and make the strongest hero go back and try again. This, giving the other players time to catch up. And this is all part of the "race-game" I talked about in my earlier post, and has to be the games we have had the most fun in (when we are all somewhat equal in strength and really clawing at the crown, using every dirty trick in the book to get there!). Our main problem however is that, more times than ever, we always tend to lurk the outer/expansion regions for way to long. And at the end of the game we all act surprised someone with ûber gear and great stat just waltz up to the crown. Like our last game, the Troll won with only 8 base strength, with a few fate tokens and a bit of luck. And we had been going on for ever! Hell, he wasn't even the top player (because that guy was doing loops in the forest expansions just harvesting Destiny cards).

i think sabotuer is my new fav filler

It's more fun than you would think

Risk: Legacy
Overhyped trash or must-buy game?

You are now aware that the "Legacy" gimmick is mostly tacked onto bad games that don't sell on their own merits.

It's not as good as the really good risk replacements like Kemet, but it's a unique enough experience to be worth playing if you have a reliable group for it.

Fury of Dracula is going out of print soon, right?

ye

feb 11th is when FFG stopped production of GW games iirc

It'd be a wise investment to get then?

>boardgames
>investment
If you're into it it's probably worth playing.

Ah yes I meant I meant investment as in buying it to play it. I'm not looking to turn a profit by gouging people or anything. I see that it's went out of print before and I guess I'm wondering if that's the case now or if it's a permanent thing.

But they recommend that game too user.