/40krpg/ 40k Roleplay General

"Your lore ends where my feelings begin" Edition

For all your questions on Dark Heresy (1st and 2nd Editions), Rogue Trader, Deathwatch, Black Crusade, and Only War.
Not the wargame, not Chapter Master, not Space Hulk. Inquisitor is okay, but not many people know about it.

Not sure between starting Dark Heresy 1e and 2e? Pick 2e.

>Why did FFG lose the 40k RPG License?
Because they were bought by Asmodee and that caused some sort of licensing conflict.

>Will GW make their own 40k RPGs now?
Probably not. But if they do it will likely be worse than you could possibly imagine.

Book Repositories (If you're planning to download any Rogue Trader materials, read the .txt file in the RT directory)
mega.nz/#F!Pl0UgbJa!vDtTXMKnvZ26fUbuw4X9tg

There is a new Homebrew Megafolder option in above MEGA directory containing several things.

40K RPG tools, a site that contains stats or references for almost all weapons, armor and NPCs/adversaries. Not updated past DH2 core.
40krpgtools.com/

40k RPG Combined Armory (v6.48.161023), containing every piece of gear in all five lines. Now includes all DH2e books.
mediafire.com/folder/i3akv9qx9q05z

Mars Needs Women! (v1.2.15) (Mechanicus Skitarii and Taghmata for Only War)
mediafire.com/file/w1d6aq5cdr6anmh

Fear and Loathing in the Eastern Fringe (V1.6.4) (Playable Xenos for Rogue Trader)
mediafire.com/download/fjhddohpscx1d7x

The Fringe is Yours! (v1.8.13) (More Xenos, Knights, and Horus Heresy gear for Rogue Trader)
mediafire.com/file/d28i243u2k7di3z

As a GM, what was the greatest "deal" or agreement you've gotten your players to accept? As a player, what was the greatest deal or agreement you've ever made, and with who? Did it have unforeseen consequences?

Prev:

Other urls found in this thread:

i.4cdn.org/wsg/1481155118893.webm
youtube.com/watch?v=zZ1WyBGG_Vw
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

Techpriests > psykers

Are there rules for man-portable multilas that aren't hilariously OP (the one in Only War hits basically as hard as a meltagun, at much longer ranges)?

There's nothing wrong with multilasers. If anything, it's the melta that's too weak.

>There's nothing wrong with multilasers
C.S. Goto identified

my nigga
praise the Omnissiah

How would you build an Imperial Knight pilot in Rogue Trader? Any good Imperial Knight homebrews?

Amy advies for running a Corsair game? An Eldar only rogue trader game essentially. I already have a good homebrew, I just need some good and juicy story ideas.

Check out The Fringe is Yours and [Chivalry Intensifies] in the Homebrew megafolder.

Can people PLEASE stop with the cringey snowflake games

They shred infantry, really lightly armored vehicles, and not much else.

Pretty much a step down from being a Rogue Trader, Inquisitor or affiliated with them.

I think you replied to the wrong post.

We have Scout Titan rules, probably scale that back somewhat I guess.

I just want to say that these are both really good, but they appeal to different audiences. You really need to look through them to see which fits your style.

>players find a cube of xenos origin
>it's a tesseract guys!

there are thousands of alien civilisations who have different cubes for different things.

Just make it a Halo Device, see how that works out for the PC.

For the user who offered me a deathwatch session in the last thread
Broly218 - #2438

In my current campaign, I'm playing an uplifted physically taken to space Xurnish warlord. His name is MOL'KOR, LEADER OF HOUSE OF WOLVES.

It's been a fucking blast, like simple things, such as figuring out how doors work and have another player attempt to explain the concept of electricity to me.

Primitives are hilarious to play, especially for the GM having to deal with. There was a speaker in the wall, and I referred to it as a "wall spirit".

How do you handle players being lost in the warp?

In my last Rogue Trader session, a duplicate of the party's ship arrived at their destination 16 hours before they did, so they blew up their doppleganger's warp drives to prevent any sort of paradox. Unfortunately, they were sucked into the ensuing warp rift created by the destruction of the drives.

My plan was to send the ship in a random direction on a warp jump while requiring tests for navigation (warp) forbidden lore (warp) pilot (spacecraft) etc. with successes meaning the random jump is made shorter and failures making it longer. Once they emerge, they will have to figure out their position and try to navigate back "off-road" so to speak, with no warp charts to work off of. High likelyhood that they will get lost or off track at some point.

Have them appear sixteen hours back and have to keep their own dudes from blowing up their warp drive.

This right here, user.

What is the best way to play a Possessed World Eaters Space Marine?

this is a great idea, but there's a consistency problem. They blew up their warp drives by teleporting the arch-militant in along with some macrobattery ammunition on a suicide mission to blow the drives. While setting up, he was forced to fight off his duplicate who came to stop him. He died in the ensuing warp drive explosion (the player had lost his character sheet and decided he'd rather make a new guy than try and re-write everything from memory). If they have to fend themselves off, who was the duplicate who came to stop him? The player was open to burning fate points for the chance that his character's soul survived in the warp and reappears at some point, so perhaps i could explain it with that somehow?

Batshit crazy about Chaos and loving every second of it.

Besides as an insane, 200% angry killing machine of daemon flesh and metal?

uhh...
roll a dice on how many people are in your vicinity, attack the person that the number reflects

I'm not very well versed in SoB weapons, do SoB bolters come in combi?

What is he, a space wolf?

Make it not a perfect loop, but cyclical somehow. The Warp does as it pleases.

They destroyed the earlier copy of the ship via Warp-fuckery, thus erasing it from the timeline, and the Warp decides to substitue it with their own ship.

It's Chaos, you don't gotta explain shit.

>Stop having fun with your make-pretend games that take place in your head

What ideas do you have at the moment?
Cool eldar things:
>Craftworld politics (we'll take you in for repairs but touch anything and we'll kick you out)
>DEldar exchanges (ranging from The Dark Kin and some Sslyth cronies attack your fleet to they team up with you to loot an Imperial cruiser to they challenge you to a race, and the wager is your canteen crew)
>Teaming up with an Rogue Trader, but having to keep it on the down low when the Inquisitor visits
>Exodites need saving from asshole colonists
>Ancient Eldar Ruins/Crone World that yield unbelievable artifacts

Some are missions on the payroll of a local craftworld.
>attack a planet to wipe out the Chaos cult that took root and grab the corrupted artifact and return it for cleansing.
>Fight a rogue trader who is using soulstones as decoration and take them back.
>clear out a genestealer cult on a human world.
>defend an Exodite world.

And then just stuff they can do for themselves.
>grow in size and power through besting and incorporating other Corsair fleets.
>raid the sector and take everything that's worth taking.
>fight the Deathwatch kill-teams and Imperial assasins sent after them.

They can if you make the influence test, but not at base.
No.
I had a new player who happened to pick a psyker accept a Dark Pact.
Shenanigans ensued.

Hey 40k roleplaying general, I've popped in the last few days asking about making my first character in DH2E. I'm looking at adeptus sororitas/seeker and I've asked what home world I should use over the last few days, and I only have like 2 months before I leave the state, so I'm trying to figure out if I want to play a melee sister of battle or try to focus on the things the seeker is good at like inquiry, awareness, tech and whatnot. So I would like to ask what you guys recommend with one player wanting to ride around on a attack bike with 2 pistols and has no idea about anything in the 40k, another player who thinks he can be the designated tank driver at all times and knows nothing about 40k, and the third player being vaguely aware about 40k but no idea what to play. So that leaves me as the only person who knows anything about 40k. We're all coming off DnD 3.5 murderhobo campaign so everyone is in that mindset, so I was thinking I might take the initiative and try and take some skills to help in the investigating and subterfuge portion of the game, but I also want to be a sister and take an eviscerator and cleave people in two

If you want to murderhobo, go melee. If you want to play DH the way it's written, get investigation skills and be the sole beacon of rationality in a party of retards.

>I want to play a melee sister of battle or try to focus on the things the seeker is good at like inquiry, awareness, tech and whatno
You can easily do both.
The secret to DH is being able to do 2 things very well. For example, I had an arbitrator who was good at shooty, had fantastic social skills AND was smart as a whip.
Further, despite what some people imply, you don't need to double down on every aptitude to have a successful character.
Seeker alone gives you many of the things you need in order to succeed in a social sense.
With Adepta Sororitas, double up on the Social aptitude, replace it with Weapon Skill.
Pick something like Shrine World, Agri World, something that has a bonus you can use in the long run, or another doubled aptitude so you can pick up Toughness/Strength/Willpower.
Bam, you have a strong social character who is more than capable of being choppy AND pursuing intellectual matters.

Does the Foreboding psyker power skirt Inescapable Attack's penalties given that it is not an Evasion action, but replaces it with another action?

>Ministorum shotgun-pope Seeker
>Blank Arbites Crusader from a feudal world
>Techpriest Sage with a Biologos fixation
>IG warrior in over his head

Are they going to start a four-man crusade on me?

I'll be sure to take both things into consideration and see what I can come up with

What, and play another rogue trader game with boring old humans?

Make it just a floating rubic cube, that'll teach em.

If that is what the system is designed to do. Would you try to run cyberpunk in Golden sky stories? Why ruin a system with something it's not supposed to do?

i.4cdn.org/wsg/1481155118893.webm

Do the sisters really hate the Space Marines?

Sisters can be anything from very nice to fellow soliders to very suspicious and all "Trust no one."

For many the space marines are the greatest the imperium has to offer (as far as they know) but with a signifigantly higher fall rate compared to the Sister's One.

Also given the reg creation table implies sisters are very "The human form is divine, it is a sin to change it" and that Space marines ARE heavily modified... You can see where the hate comes from.

But Im sure some are less crazy then others.

>"The human form is divine, it is a sin to change it"

How is that reconciled with The Emperor being 200ft tall?

Same way they reconcile Psykers being bad and the Emps being a Psyker.

Ignorant hypocrisy

How do non-Tech Priest characters fit into choosing the Forge World homeworld for Rogue Trader?

they sound normal. for acolytes.

Becuase the 40k roleplay system works well for running 40k. Just need to make a few changes and we're playing as a Corsair captain and his crew.

>the very first RT splatbook came with xenos pc's
>one of the official adventures gives rules for dark eldar pc's
>another official supplement gives rules for tau pc's
>RT is not supposed to run xenos pc's

user, if you're going to tell someone they're having BADWRONGFUN and that it triggers you, atleast have something to stand on.

Well, in one hand they're angels of the Emperor and carry some of His divine genome in them, but on the other they don't follow the Imperial Creed and the SoBs must have a lot of clashes with marines.
So I'd say it depends on the order/circumstances. SoB probably like burging witches alongside Black Templars, but there's probably a couple orders whose motto is "Minotaurs and Red Scorpions are unavailable, grab your meltas".

Lower classes who weren't deemed worthy of the Omnissiah's gifts.

Communities formed around trading hubs or IG officer schools that teach tech use to off-worlders

Exiles or criminals using the world's preference of the Omnissiah over the Emperor to build a life beyond the reach of the Arbites

etc.

The only thing I can think of at the moment is basically an inversion of a RT game I'm planning now. Except you play as the bad guys (i.e the Eldar) The plot is basically stolen outright from Hellboy 2, because it's such a useful plot structure.

Baseless lies. The Emperor is a God, how dare you compare him to some pityful mortal witches.

Guess some people don't want to play Eldar space pirates and murderfuck their way across the universe.

Some people just don't want to be Princes of the Universe, user.
youtube.com/watch?v=zZ1WyBGG_Vw

You ever heard of a more LULZY campaign?

Bumping this.

I think I'm in that game. The way that guy misrepresented it... whoah. It's like, he exaggerates what was just a little exaggerated, and then he ignores the parts meant to ground it a bit more.

How do they reconcile with the fact the Exorcist tank is a betrayl of ancient Emperor signed treaties?

If you told them this they'd probably laugh, then when you show them proof they'll walk to a corner, sit down in a corner very quietly and stare at a wall for a few days.

Well that sounds like storytime to me.

Alright.

The Inquisitor suffered a crippling head wound and suffered a mental breakdown after a body-double refused to commit suicide (bomb-collar shorted out). The player taunted and angered the inquisitor until he threatend to do horrible horrible things that would 'make the stars weep blood'.

The Vortex bomb was to be used to take out a possible CSM at large in the city. When one player set off a nuclear reactor they fixed it by throwing in the vortex bomb to suck up the explosion. (and released a minor demon)

The time-breaking happened because one player broke a time-loop on purpose.

His hammer fell through a warp-gate in front of him. Then one opened up next to him. He was supposed to throw his hammer through and close the loop. Instead he threw himself -and- the hammer through. This went about as well as you'd expect and the warp anomalies began to get worse and worse as the players continued to cause paradoxes and generally muck things up. The universe eventually went snap and a good chunk of the Imperium ceased to exist. Then we got the Ordo Chronos killed due to an incident of friendly-fire It eventually ended with a Tzeentchian demon prince from another player's campaign showing up and putting the pieces back together.

It's difficult to describe what happened, not my native language.

That doesnt seem THAT much of a improvement on the competency of your acolytes desu.

The world is sensical and less lulzy, the players are just insanely incompetent.

No as it just gives another evasion option.

DH2e player here. Is a Daemonbane weapon automatically Sanctified? Does the former make Daemons suffer Critical Effects?

By RAW, no as there is the Ironfaith grenade and psy bolts that give Sanctified and Daemonbane.

By RAI (I hope), it should as Daemonbane is a stronger version of Sanctified.

Needing a special quality to make daemons suffer crit effects is irrelevant as neither the Daemonic nor the Undying traits prevent the one having them from being affected by crits.

IIRC Daemonic says when you hit 0 wounds you disappear into the Warp, which would mean you don't suffer critical damage.

Unless I'm thinking of something else, which is very possible.

I think the idea is that some things designed to destroy demons are not strictly speaking holy, such as certain demonweapons. So those weapons can actually stack.

That is Warp Instability, related to Daemonic, but not the same thing and is a pure weakness.

i once ran a campaign where my little shitheads had to assassinate a cult leader that was swaying an important frontier world town to chaos. They couldn't track him, so they decided to blow his brains out at a public rally. they decided this was a good idea despite the numerous local sentries that were stationed on rooftops. the techpriest took out the sentry on thr hotel they were staying in while the other cunts were inside trying to figure out how to use a needle rifle.
snipers start yelling over the comms how one of their own just got killed, so my dickshit cyborg genius goes over the radio with mimic and starts calling out (in the voices of snipers from other rooftops) where the mark is. the snipers end up shooting everybody on every rooftop because they're backwater hicks who fon't know what's going on. tech priest legs it and ends up taking a shot or two before disappearing back into the hotel. it was one of the funniest fucking moments of my entire experience gming and I would never let it happen again.

hello, elegan/t/entlemen, I'm quite used to RT and OW, but I'm invited to play in a BC game with 5K xp allowance.
I'd like to play a Nurgle affiliated psyker. Any special advances , things to take r to avoid to do that, if it is feasible ?

Look in Tomb of Decay if advanced archetypes are allowed.

as a nurglite you should try to be much nicer then your douchebag party. Nurgle likes all life big and small.

Can I have a quick rundown on why there are 15 different warhammer generals ?

The 40k tabletop general
The 30k tabletop general
The 40k RPG general
The WHF general
The AoS general

There's only five, numbnuts

I thought horus heresy and malifaux where 40K generals too. I am really lost here friendo. WHF is the old warhammer right ?

Yes, and Malifaux is its own system, unrelated to 40k.

Because without Warhammer this board wouldn't exist?

Where would you recommend to commission this archaic style of sector map for a homebrew game?

My players have incredible superstitions and fears of making deals, complete with ceremonial airlock-venting.

I think the funniest deal I've ever seen was a Rogue Trader trading, to a Dark Eldar Dracon, a condition-free favor to be called in at the Kabal's leisure. He demanded an Agonizer. A good-quality Agonizer. It wasn't even best quality. The entire group was screaming, but he kept saying, "Don't worry, I got this." He honestly thought he came out on top of the deal to the very end.

The other deal I've seen made was an Imperial Knight pilot who made a deal to the same Kabal, to resurrect his dead wife. The Drukhari have the power, after all. That one ended up having fun real-world consequences.

>The other deal I've seen made was an Imperial Knight pilot who made a deal to the same Kabal, to resurrect his dead wife. The Drukhari have the power, after all. That one ended up having fun real-world consequences.

You can't say shit like that and not follow it up.

The Dark Eldar probably came and took his first born or something. Plot twist, we are in 40k stranded on some weird Mechanicus social experiment recreating ancient Terran culture and geography on a distant colony world to see how self directed cultural progress takes us and if it is the same general route. He accidentally struck a dream pact with the eldar

Lucius promised to be at their beck and call, and all he asked in return was his wife brought back to life. He was granted his wife, perfectly fine, who returned to him as if waking from a long nap. The Archon and his associates kept the body, after all, since he and his Tau associate were studying the effects of a mutagenic virus they themselves had released on the poor guy's homeworld. His children were unable to be returned to him, as their corpses were not preserved.

After that game, I started my Questoris Knights army, all based on players from my game, Excelsus A Midsummer Knight's Dream. In game, Lucius had a blue and green Lancer, with silver accents. I painted my lancer in blue and green, with silver accents, and even now I often field it at the vanguard of my Tau. He's often the first thing to die. He lives, he dies, he lives again, eternal service in my tabletop army. He promised to do anything, and that is what he does - when that knight dies, the rest of my army is safe and in position for the killing blow.

I wasn't kidding when I said real-world consequences. I think he had a laugh about it.

Ah nice. When my campaign ends I'm definitely adding my character to my tabletop army. If she survives that is.

Wow. That's some seriously next-level shit, Shas.

Not that I disapprove. It's clever-as-fuck. But what happened to the rogue trader getting the agonizer?

>He lives, he dies, he lives again,

>that spoiler

I heartily approve.

>But what happened to the rogue trader getting the agonizer?

That was years ago, in the very first game of RT I ever ran, Pimps in Space. The Archon called him, and brought him and the crew to Commorragh to settle some Kabalite politics as mercenaries. And by that, I mean, they were stuck in front, made the minimally-supported vanguard and told to assassinate an enemy Archon in the middle of a big inter-Kabal kerfuffle. Predictably, nobody wanted to stay in Commorragh for very long.

He wasn't exactly a font of good ideas, that RT. It was thanks to him that my players instituted the Deal Policy - if you make a deal of any kind, it doesn't matter with who, you get spaced out the airlock, to much rejoicing.

Well, it was that, and them making a deal with a Tau while not reading the fine print...

It's stories like this, Dave's, and Shoggy's that got me into 40k rpg. Never too far from a good plot and/or party shenanigans.

Arch-militant could be former skitarii (depends on augmentations) or proctor (arbites equivalent).
Seneschal could be clerical/adept.
Void master former orbital pilot, etc.
Basically any career except Astropath or RT can easily have that background

I had an idea for a Space Marine chapter where each marine travels the imperium either solo or in a small band with 2 or 3 others. They would lend their skills as strategists, commanders, doplomats and warriors without central control from the chapter HQ. However, the librarians among them specialize in divination and telepathy allowing some messages to be passed to the scattered members to put them in the right place at the right time. Does that make any sense logistically for a chapter? I suppose they would have a small warband of serfs/technicians/squires in training.

Reminds me a little of the Marines Errant but without the part where they still maintain a fleet.

The biggest problem i see is the Lack of Geneseed recovery. A chapter like that would die out without an apothecary traveling with every little group and immediatly searching out aspirants to implant. They also would lack the facilities to do so.

I could imagine each marine getting some very basic training in removing and implanting geneseed under suboptimal conditions, leading to a fuckton of defects of the minor or even major organs.

A chapter of kill marines?

If other chapters can do unique things with their training, why couldn't these guys make decent apothecary training part of the chapter standard training?