/tgesg/ - Weekend Elder Scrolls General

Steampunk vs Cyberpunk Dwemer Edition

>Tabletop/P&P RPGs
[UESRPG - P&P RPG] docs.google.com/document/d/1pTgTN2aJUoY95JtquowagfUJLL7tCQYhzJKcCAcbvio/edit?usp=sharing
[Scrollhammer - Tabletop Wargame] 1d4chan.org/wiki/Scrollhammer_2nd_Edition
Discussion in #Scrollhammer (irc.thisisnotatrueending.com (port 6667))

>Lore Resources
[The Imperial Library] imperial-library.info/
[/r/teslore] reddit.com/r/teslore/
[UESP/Lore] uesp.net/wiki/Lore:Main_Page
[Pocket Guide to the Lore] docs.google.com/document/d/1AtsWXZKVqB4Q825_SwINY6z4_9NaGknXgeOknOCDuCU/edit
[Elder Lore Podcast] elderlore.wordpress.com/
[How to Become a Lore Buff] forums.bethsoft.com/topic/1112211-how-to-become-a-lore-buff/

>General Rules
This is NOT /tesg/ minus waifus, so behave properly.
Keep the squabbling to a minimum.
No waifus/husbandos except for Vehk and Vehk

Previous Kalpa:

Other urls found in this thread:

uesp.net/wiki/Lore:Leki#Leki
uesp.net/wiki/Lore:Remanada
tamriel-rebuilt.org/sites/default/files/images/TR1609RegionMap.jpg
youtu.be/vititmYVi0s
uesp.net/wiki/Skyrim:Saadia
twitter.com/AnonBabble

Does any TES game have the equivalent?

what is that?

Tomb of Horrors, and infamously difficult D&D 1e dungeon.

In the lore:
Battlespire, Labyrinthian, Sancre Tor, Puzzle Canals of Vivec, Tel Fyr and the Clockwork City (or parts of it) are all possible candidates from lore. They are not nearly as dreadful inside the games though.

Mods like Greater Dwemer Ruins (Dagoth Ur mega-dungeon) and Sotha Sil Expanded fix this. Also, they're lore friendly enough that they could be considered official.

Let's do some brainstorming - what would Snowhawk (the city in Skyrim/Reach that magically disappeared in TESV) look like? is it a Haafingar city or a Reach city? Perhaps a mix of both? What people live there? What is its history? What is its economy based on?

The final dungeon in Daggerfall seemed pretty hard.

The name implies that it's more of a military fortification than a residential area.

>Old Nordic Ruin
>Large monoliths and symbols all around
>Really gives the impression that its current inhabitants are living in a ruin of a bygone age
>Ring fortress with thick, thick walls and one entrance, not counting the sewer grate.
>A few houses inside, each one with its' door facing away from the great wall
>The entire city is built in a circular pattern, with one main town square in dead centre, and every door pointing out towards it.
>Not many houses at all, relatively small in lore, relatively large in game because Skyrim is a lot smaller ingame.
>Jarls' hall is part of the walls and built in the old Nordic style, looks like a crypt if not for the chandeliers hanging from the roof and the cleanlyness.
>Jarl is seated with his back against a word wall.
>The Jarl is visible once you enter the building, just far away.
>Small, claustrophobic paths on each side lead into the barracks and dungeons, underneath the city, also built in a Nordic fashion.

>>Not many houses at all, relatively small in lore, relatively large in game because Skyrim is a lot smaller ingame.
Are there any mods in the works to make Skyrim 1:1 scale?

That would take longer to make than Tamriel Rebuilt, so no there aren't and probably never will be.

You realize that Skyrim ingame is the size of Manhattan, while Skyrim in lore is the size of, say, a very large RL country?

That's practically impossible.

What's your favorite geographical region in ES games?

Mine's Whiterun plains, believe it or not. The most fertile land in Skyrim.

favorite: Gold Coast because muh cozy mediterranean
least favorite: Alik'r desert because it doesn't make any sense.

Are you retarded or something?

Just procedurally generate most of the landmass.

Yes.
>aik'r desert
Magnus, you can put that desert there, no one important will be using that land anyway.

If i'm not mistaken, Ur means "The first", or something along this lines. Since his goal was to infect the whole world with corprus, making it an extention of himself, he identifys himself now as the Dagoth who starts it all, Dagoth Ur

Arena and Daggerfall both have some fairly brutal dungeons.
Or, I think Arena does, I was practically a god by the end of that game.

That would be fucking pointless to be honest and hurt gameplay because it would make fast travel only sane option and anything handmade in the wilderness (that is not quest related) would be lost in middle of shit.

You're right although the way it's used in Dagoth Ur is wrong. It should be Ur-Dagoth.

We basically have another case of dai-katana here.

I remember him from Morrowind

He's the Sharmat, he gets everything the wrong way around.

>You're right although the way it's used in Dagoth Ur is wrong. It should be Ur-Dagoth.
>assuming the syntax is english

What's his power level?

Talos.

The HoonDing.

Trinimac.

Vivec.

Leki.

Reman.

Auri-El.

Wulfharth.

Morihaus.

Pelinal.

That's my list, and pretty much in that order. Though Vivec did kill Tiber Septim once...but I mentioned Talos, not the Emperor.

I'd put him approximately around Vivec's level.

Who is Leki?
And why is Trinimac above Auri-El?

uesp.net/wiki/Lore:Leki#Leki
Auri-El is the weakest of the Aka-Tusk.

>Put him around Vivec's level
Well Dagoth Ur was at his strongest at the end of Morrowind, stronger than Vivec, because Lord Dagoth had access to the Heart and Almsivi did not

Sharmat is a special case by being the Sharmat. He is older than music afterall.

so is the tribe unmourned referring to house dagoth or house dwemer or both?

Bitter Coast my n'wah.

Dagoth. That fat dude is still around to mourn for Dwemer.

>Reman
why is he so strong?

Since House Dagoth were persecuted to cover up the FOUL MURDER and establish the Tribunal Temple, no one weeps for this House, a Great House no less, that have been systematically exterminated.

Dwemer are not a Great House like others are. It's like how you say Mongol Empire when dealing with them, but they are only called an empire because that's what they resemble the closest in your culture.

He literally fucked the earth.
uesp.net/wiki/Lore:Remanada

Enantiomorph

What parts of mainland Morrowind would still be populated by tribal Dunmer? I'm thinking some on the Telvanni peninsula (whatever that horn is called), some in the Velothi Mountains and probably some down in the marsh.

You'd still have to do 1:1 cities which means thousands of residents and hundreds of houses etc. Also, performance would become issue here even with the best of current hardware.

ashlands, grazelands, azura's coast.

>mainland Morrowind

Mainland you doofus.

oh my bad. probably Molaghread, and the Helnim Fields
tamriel-rebuilt.org/sites/default/files/images/TR1609RegionMap.jpg

Definitely some down in the marsh.

>YWN be a flybitten Dunmer Tribal in the black marsh making a living out of hunting, gathering, and trading Argonian slaves and hides for jugs of clean water and potions of cure disease

The size of Manhattan but the population of a single building.

Skyrim is not a city, you goofus

Neither is Solitude according to TESV

I feel like heavily modded morrowind is just too lush, the original vanilla scenery is a lot more bleak and lifeless

I think I'd prefer the original Morrowind design with Vvardenfell as a whole being an ash wasteland desu

Glenumbra, beautiful place.

I quite like the screenshot desu. You can have bleakness and lifelessness at the same time, and that screenshot certainly conveys a rather inhospitable marsh. Not a completely lifeless place, but then again, not many places in ES are one hundred percent wastelands.

i agree, with the bitter coast i dont mind but turning Balmora into a Forest is just not right.

Morrowinds graphics age rather well id say, it fits the aesthetic of desolation, modding morrowinds graphics for the most part doesnt work.

For example beeing able to see further just destroys the feeling of vastness, aswell as showing you that the red mountain is more a mound than a mountain.

for what its worth ESO has a tribe of Ashlanders living in close proximity to blackmarsh inside a snake infested swamp, they worship what is called "The Ghost snake" which is some form of spirit that resides within what appears to be an argonian structure inside the bog.

You dont interact with them much, mainly they are xenophobic ashlanders who you can pursuade into trading their snakeskin wares with hlaalu.

Well, here's how it looks like in deep wastes.
Does someone seriously use that mod which turns Balmora into a forest?

>The Ghost snake
Wasn't this originally the power of Magribash witch-women who would steal some form of essence from men.

Will you let me be your Duchess of Dementia, Veeky Forums?

Are they _actually_ lore friendly enough? I was super suspicious of Sotha Sil expanded from what I saw in previews.

What do you mean originally? you mean where it comes from?
Im fairly sure its never explained what the Ghost snake actually is, maybe there is a lorebook i missed, i honestly didnt like the main leveling zones much, i guess there were some gems there.

Do you know more than i do?
To me it appeared as if the ghost snake was some very obviously argonian thing just judging from the architecture of its lair and the proximity to the marsh.

I think its actually part of one of the major mod compilliations, i mean it is pretty, it just doesnt capture the essence of what balmora is to me.

I dont think all of vvardenfell should be ashlands, i mean vvardenfell is big, i just think that balmora specifically shouldnt be lush.

Almost all new books are just MK apocrypha and mostly Clockwork City is just expanded while being faithful to original design. Nothing that conflicts with known lore is really added there. New artifacts added are from known lore too.

There is one thing that could be lore-unfriendly though. Sotha Sil has preserved himself as a virtual copy inside his city wide computer network, so he isn't really dead like in vanilla. Though to be honest we can't know if he was really dead in vanilla either. I mean, his city was still functioning despite him being dead.

That's made by Trainboy, yeah? We're pretty sure he works for Bethesda now, so I'd say it's about as Canon as MK's fan fiction. That is to say, it doesn't matter just have fun with it.

Also regarding "ghost snake" in Morrowind there are "evil" witches called Magribash. They're renegade wise women who defy men's rule and steal vital essence from men. Their special power is called "ghost nake", but I'm not really sure what it is.

In the game Magribash appear as generic renegade wise women that have women only camps in wilderness. They attack player on sight and don't have unique dialogue aside explaining that they're Magbribash.

I don't think there's any written lore about them. Everything about them is told by dialogue from NPCs.

>Magribash
Oh yeah aperently in Morrowind they were an NPCs class for Ashlander bandits, i completley forgot about that.

Considering that they steal "essence" of men and manifest some sort of a snake. I'd bet it is refering to ghostly penises since I'm pretty sure MK wrote that.

Because Trinimac is literally the "Strong God" of the Elves.
Just because Auri-El is more important doesn't mean shit.

Not to mention the fact that that list is literally written out in terms of a fighting-game roster.

Which faction should I join or what do in Morrowind now? The Telvanni agent quest is usually a slight roadblock for me. Should I also explore houses n shit to see what I can find since that's where the hidden stuff is apparently.

Do the temple, its incredibly boring.

You have probably already done Redoran and you said you did telvanni, so try hlaalu?
Be crassius curios slut.

>tfw she didn't die

No, the fighters guild telvanni agents quest.

Do Telvanni then, can be frustrating tho.
Make sure to finish it before doing the Tong.

In the early ESO beta, the Ghost Snake was originally known as the 'Aspect of Sithis.'

i think i might remember this.
Makes sense to me, we know Sithis is a thing acknowledged but not neccesarily worshipped by argonians.

In ESO i think the implication is that sithis is what the argonians see as "death", death is not the Grim reaper but a predator waiting to pounce.

Fits their habitat i guess, aswell as their outlook on life.

i do find it interresting that an Ashlander Tribe would adopt an argonian spirit as their totem, on the other hand since that got removed from the game it could not be meant as this.

May not necessarily be an Argonian. I mean it is a serpent after all.

I see it as not a particularly major spirit, possibly an imprint or shade left on the world by Lorkhan during its creation, which eventually coalesced as a serpent as from the natives understanding of the swamp.

Why is Daggerfall the greatest city in High Rock, it maybe the greatest city on Tamriel.

I don't think so, but there are mods to add in lots of towns from Arena. It will make your game run slower though.

I don't know, why?

I haven't seen the ESO version, but the Daggerfall version isn't that great. It's large compared to other TES games, but other cities are about as large in the same game.

In ESO it's made up of about 5 houses, a trade market, a lumber mill, and the castle.
Of course, so is every other major city.

Well the ESO version also has about 30 extra NPCs, some with names that contribute nothing beyond making the city feel populated, something the singleplayer games were lacking.

But Daggerfall was full of random NPCs - hundreds of them. They were just all sprites that were likely randomly generated when you weren't looking, aside from shopkeepers and important NPCs.

Daggerfall had an amazing sense of scale, but it also really lost any chance for a bunch of individual characters. And since the game worlds have been getting smaller since Morrowind despite tech upgrades, I doubt we'll really see anything close to as large again. Morrowind was probably the last shot at cities that were actually decently large and populated with large amount of NPCs - and proper villages, come to think of it.

yeah but all cities were not just daggerfall.

I think the importance of Daggerfall is not neccesarily its size but its political position, its only rivaled by Wayrest.
And important cities become big rather than big cities becoming important.

I think it is the city that even when High Rock was thirty-ish kingdoms, the Empire would treat as the provincial capital, and that hasn't really changed with four.

Oh I'd say it's a little more than that.

that could be any city, because they all look the same

No, most other cities are small hamlets in comparison. The only real competition for size is Wayrest.

That worked back when there was no established lore and the team was able to do whatever the fuck it wanted.

Evermore > Daggerfall

>tfw essential NPC kill mods

all the towers and castles are cookie cutter garbage

I'm not arguing aesthetic, I'm talking about size. You want to talk about shitty cities, then yes, Bretons win that by a mile.

There's a hell of a lot more appealing places in the world than a Breton city.

Though there is something to be said about Breton appearances. I'm finally starting to see the 'elf' side of them that's supposed to make them look better.

I like Daggerfall and the history associated with it, but Wayrest just seems like a nicer city.
As for the less obvious cities I quite like Dwynnen.

And this is why the prospect of modding Daggerfall Unity is great.
Imagine Daggerfall, except the different regions have unique styles in clothing and architecture, and with more unique buildings.
More varied NPC sprites to show a few non-humans in cities, more NPC dialogue, and a reintroduction of unimplemented features such as bards and prostitutes. Retrofit lore that has been added to the series since 96.
People were able to mod in sprites and quests back in the 90s, but it will be simpler with the jump to Unity.
youtu.be/vititmYVi0s

the cat pile wasn't a literal pile right? its some kinda psychic projection surely?

>tfw those mods has crashed my game every time

what a boring, stupid, disgusting-looking character from a main quest. She has no personality aside from "damn thalmor, damn dragons lol." The other characters were just as flat. A dragon spouting philosophy 101 platitudes and an equally boring blades bookkeeper.

In Morrowind your blades handler is a shirtless man pretending to be skooma addict living at a back-street house in Balmora.

The Hlaalu questgiver is a pervert and smut writer with a number of strange fetishes. The leader of the Redoran at first will say he would die before making the Nerevarine horator. The Telvanni did not give a fuck and basically says whatever, go be horator, just leave you stupid peasant.

None of that character depth is present in the Skyrim main quest, and these are fairly little things, not to even mention the hermaphroditic poet-warrior-god

I don't need super huge cities or better combat or newer graphics, I just want interesting characters I care about talking to.

No it was literally just cats piling on top of eachother

did not mean to put spoiler on that image

While Delphine is a terrible character, I honestly think you are simply bitter and too old for videogames

Was Saadia telling the truth?

>pretending to be skooma addict

no way to find out really

I didn't say I hated Skyrim. There were lots of good things about it. But the main quest (and general character building) was inexcusably lazy

He just liked to party and could quit any time he wanted

>uesp.net/wiki/Skyrim:Saadia
>If you sit down in any seat inside the inn Hulda will call out to her to serve you, she will then approach and initiate conversation offering a choice of food and/or drinks from the same merchant chest as Hulda.
weird, never noticed that