When did this stop becoming a thing?

When did this stop becoming a thing?
There's also another rogue trader pic with a spess mehrin kissing a SOB.
Does this destroy the SM meme about no fun, no sexual function?

It stopped when the game took a huge tonal shift at 3rd edition, I believe. After that the setting started taking itself way more seriously and got really into the grimdark.

Back then they were just dudes in power armor.

Is it safe to say edginess effectively turned SM into the unsullied...
I think they were afraid normies would get interested

both of those don't look like official art at all

Breaking news: early editions of 40k wildly different from modern incarnations of the game in theme and tone.

Coming up next: more stunning revelations from our science team, who can confidently reveal that the sky is still blue.

I think the word "grimdark" even comes from 3rd edition. That's when they coined the "in the grim dark future there is only war" line, I think.

>more stunning revelations from our science team
pfft "scientists"

I would assume that if you wanted to expand on a story, removing or drastically altering the original matter effectively changes the entire narrative. If they wanted to explain shit they should expound on it not delete items to get more money. I think they lost sight of what the original creator intended.

I really wish I had been around for that. Good news being we may be headed back in that direction, at least somewhat.

What could possibly make you think that?

This, GW might be heading for more epicness, but definitely not more 80s style goofyness.

Oldhammer 40k art was amazing and you are missing out.

>That's a paddleing

2nd edition wasn't so different. It described a quite grim world. Read the IG codex and you'll see multiple descriptions of how the IG is a meat grinder and how commissars shoot people in the head for thinking wrong etc etc

Specifically I was referring to the space marine having an Eldar bitch, seeing as we're gearing up for a proper human and space elf alliance, but yeah no I agree we will never return to the eighties. Mores the pity really.

MODS ARE ASLEEP POST BEAKIES

Your original pic looks like some deviant art reject.

It personally reminds me of those terrible wall paintings found in many amusement parks.

That apothecary looks like he's dipping the progenoids in sauce...

2nd

YES, THIS!

Or one of those places that does indoor laser tag.

For years I thought he was opening a can of preserved food.

Only just lately I saw the dead guy with his throat cut open and was "oh, he's gathering geneseed..."

This.
"So, he's about to eat some future conserved blobfood, why does he still have the helmet on?"

Holy shit, never noticed this until now. I thought it was a marine cracking open a can of pepis whilst a big battle rages in the background.

>When did this stop becoming a thing?
It's not a thing. This is not official art.
>There's also another rogue trader pic with a spess mehrin kissing a SOB.
This also was not official art. Was a parody pic.
>Does this destroy the SM meme about no fun, no sexual function?
The meme is wrong anyway. The Space Wolves always canonically had Space Marine booze.
And the whole thing about sexual function has no basis whatsoever in any officially written and published material.
Again, using Space Wolves as example there is an entire character, Lukas the Trickster, who should be vaguely based on Loki, but in actuality is some weird self insert that makes it a point to point out he had groupsex before he was recruited.

Space Marines are psycho-conditioned in such a way that sex simply becomes a pointless distraction. It's just not important. They are living weapons, killing machines. It's the only thing they are supposed to do.

OP literally posted a pencil crayon drawing.

Oh shit I thought that was fanart and that's exactly what he was doing. Damn now it's not funny.

MARINES LOL?

Might be because I'm pretty sure that there exists edit just like that.

>Captain! me geneseeds fallen in me brew

You are correct.

out

I'm actually quite glad that Warhammer moved towards a more serious unified setting. Like, it's more coherent when depicted by Dan Abnett in Eisenhorn and Gaunt's Ghosts, and that's the mood I really like: A grim, gritty setting where there is no hope, and where Space Marines are barely human.

All the Rogue Trade stuff was dated then and is cartoonish now. I'm glad it went the way of the Squats.

>You will never fuck a space elf

Honestly end my life now

Greys are better anyway.

Agree to disagree

I have to agree. Its fine when a setting doesn't take itself TOO seriously, but its important to actually be as its supposed to be.

I don't wanna hear from no scientists, ya'll mothafuckas lyin and gettin me pissed

What's funny is nowadays, Eisenhorn is the second most lore-inaccurate novel not counting anything published by Boxtree. Authors constantly have to be told by publishing not to write things the way they're presented in Abnett novels. The Abnettverse is a real thing within BL.

I think it helps set a consistent tone for the universe and those creating in it. Continuity may be a crapshoot in many ways, but most of the good BL writers maintain the grimdark aesthetic and tone enough that I feel like the novels and source books all exist in the same universe even if the writing style and quality can vary a bit.

> ITT: lots of people who haven't actually read Rogue Trader give opinions on what Rogue Trader was like

Seconding this, plus 3rd ed started nearly 20 years ago, 3ed/4ed and Dawn of War are precisely what everyone thinks of when they hear 40k. Only the most grognardly of grognards care about Rogue Trader.