Session length

What is the longest you would want to invest in any one session of play, regardless of the system or setting? Is there a minimum time that's needed to 'get shit done'?

Personally, I hate 5-6 hour boondoggles that mostly consist of people not being at the table because they're taking various breaks. I'm more of a 3 hours maximum kind of player/GM that don't take all day and leave you time for a personal life.

The maximum is as long as the shortest attention span, or ability to keep playing. The time was, we could run for 8+ hours at a stretch, running the whole thing in our heads.
Then go home and come back the next day to do it again.

But jobs and life and sleep schedules and meal schedules get in the way of that.
And then one of the players got herself pregnant, so that pretty much put an end to her involvement.

Current groups I'm in do 6+ hours once a week which is really draining on me especially when it's 6+ hours of mostly talk and investigation. I would rather have 4 hour or so and more often per week but they all work such twisted shifts that once they have time they wanna do all nighters.

>Personally, I hate 5-6 hour boondoggles that mostly consist of people not being at the table because they're taking various breaks.
I had a good group the few times I had an in person group and we regularly had 5+ hour sessions and everyone was having fun.

>about 2 hours
>15-30 minute break to eat, stretch legs, smoke, etc.
>about 1-2 hours depending on where seems like a reasonable place to stop the game

Why even bother at that point.

I'd say 3-4 hours.

Wow you guys are huge faggots, why are you even into pnp if you have ADD?

Hey fuck you buddy, my add is off the charts and i still pull 6hr+ sessions. Don't lump me with these cretins.

Depends on what's going on in the session and how everyone is feeling. The important thing is that you want to call session while the players are still wanting more, but not so early that they feel frustrated.

Hey, woah, ADHD here, and I'm all up for 8-hour sessions. Unfortunately, the work schedules of some group members means that we really can't start until 7:00 PM, and also means we can't go much past midnight.

Online Max I would do is 6 hours. In-person we would have 8 hour sessions with a hour break. Longest session I've been in was 20 odd hours

My group, many years ago decided out of ambition to do a 12 hour session, with only breaks for bathroom, and we had pizza delivered and already had stockpiled food and drink otherwise. It was epic. Tiring, but epic. Our more common sessions were in between 4 and 8 on average.

6 hours, give or take. We've gone to 8 hours and beyond but everyone is pretty checked out by then.

3 hours feels too short to get much done when I run, but my players have an awful "split the party" habit, which makes everything take twice as long.

I'm usually down for a 6 hour session, but I'm also more into the game than most people it seems.

My current campaign is run on a weeknight, so we only do 4-5 hours. I usually like 6-8 hours myself (am DM) but it just isn't possible with everyone's schedules right now.

Longest I've ever done was an entire weekend, with breaks for food and sleep. That was a hell of a time. I miss college, man.

I'm always up to play eight hour sessions, but typically my groups always seem to stop after four or five hours.

Are you a group of hummingbirds and goldfish?

Our group runs four-hour sessions. The best session I've ever been in lasted nine hours, but that was the stars lining up for a once in a lifetime event.

I'm a genuine autist and have papers to prove it, but I don't let that impact the quality of my tabletop sessions.

There once was a time where the group i was playing with would game four or five days of the week. Binge gaming for two or three days at a time, crashing at someone's house or just not sleeping for two days straight.

It was terrible. I spent so much of my time being someone else, i was never me. It was so exhausting, i took a four month vacation from gaming, and when I came back, I forced it back down to one day a week.

Most of that group is gone now, just me and one other from that original group, but we found others and now have 6 total people getting together every Monday night for 4- 6 hour sessions. Normally between 7- 11. Seems to be the perfect length, too. We always say the game is just an excuse to get together, and 4- 6 hours is the right amount of time for both serious gaming and goofing off.

When did sitting down to do something for more than six hours become a virtuous trait?

4-6 hours with a dinner break halfway through.

I'm surprised that I'm the only one here playing for literally whole weekends at a time.