Veeky Forumsedh General

Beautiful Art Edition

RESOURCES

>Official Site: Contains deck building rules and the current ban list.
mtgcommander.net

>Deck List Site: You can search for decks that other people have made. Authors often have comments that explain their deck’s strategy and card choices.
tappedout.net

>Another resource for commander discussion; they have an entire forum dedicated to discussing decks. People often make primers, which go into detail about how they built and play their deck.
mtgsalvation.com/forums/the-game/commander-edh

>Statistically see what everyone else puts in their commander decks based on what is posted to the internet.
edhrec.com/

>Find out what lands you can add to your deck, so?rted by category, based on a chosen Commander’s color identity.
manabasecrafter.com/

>CARD SEARCHING

>Official search site. Current for all sets.
gatherer.wizards.com/

>Unofficial, but has GOAT search interface.
magiccards.info/
combodeck.net/

>Thread Question
Commander 2017 Predictions?

Other urls found in this thread:

tappedout.net/mtg-decks/t-h-e-b-o-y-s-a-r-e-b-a-c-k-i-n-t-o-w-n/
tappedout.net/mtg-decks/affirmative-actiondec/
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

>Commander 2017 Predictions?
Allied color cycle. I wouldn't even hate if they brought back experience counters.

tappedout.net/mtg-decks/t-h-e-b-o-y-s-a-r-e-b-a-c-k-i-n-t-o-w-n/

Repostan for suggestiosn

So now, after the dust has settled - what is your opinion about partner? What is the best team in your opinion?

OP here, yeah I fully expect 2017 to be allied with experience counters and I'm actually super stoked to see what that will entail. My dream would be tribal instead, but I doubt we'd get mono-color decks which what they would need to be.

Partner was an interesting idea that was executed poorly, and rather than being the 'focal point' of a release like it should have been, was a "Half-day Friday" bullshit way to get out of having to design 4 color commanders.

If C16's focus had been Partner, and they'd spent more time making them have interesting synergies I really would have liked it.

I hope they revisit partner somewhere down the line and make it the sole focus of the product. There's a lot of potential for the mechanic.

Terrible, what the fuck were they thinking?

Vial-Smasher and Trasios is pretty unarguably the best combination. I'm a fan of Sidar Kondo and Tymna as a source of constant CA in an Abzan hatebears styled deck but there are definitely better options for a deck like that.

>Definitely better options
That's the majority of the problem, in my opinion. They went so 'safe' and boring on the abilities that the only combinations that are really any good... are outclassed by existing shit.

>They went so 'safe' and boring
>outclassed by existing shit.
Good. I don't want them printing things that are more interesting and better than existing shit in commander products. I want to see people brew standard/conspiracy legendaries that aren't straight up outclassed by Commander products. See: Gisa and Geralf vs Meren.

I agree with this. The cards were bad and designed poorly. The mechanic has potential, but most partners are just dull and uninteresting. I wish they revisit the mechanic and do something actually useful

If they're not going to print interesting things in Commander, what's the point?

You're not some kind of speshul snowflake for using a clearly-designed-for-Commander Legendary from a regular set.

These

Pretty much sum it up.

I kinda want to try Tana, the Bloodsower and Sidar Kondo of Jamuraa, along with Zada. Get a constantly growing army of next to unblockable saporlings that you pump when they hit, it's sounds like fun.

>what is your opinion about partner? What is the best team in your opinion?

it was a really cool idea but there are just not enough good pairs. viel smasher thrasios are basically the only good that i have personally seen. most people i know that play them do it just to get a certain color identity and they dont really have a strategy around them

i think eventually once there are more they will be really good if wizards decides to do it again which i think they will

>Gisa and Geralf vs Meren
They're both terrible cards designed to only be playable in Commander.

>Trasios, Eroe Marinide

lol

The mechanic I feel is alright and definitely ripe with potential, but so many of the cards we did get are ridiculously underwhelming, not including the flavor disaster that was Ludevic. If 2017 does turn out to be allied color decks, here's hoping one of the new alt-commanders in the box is another partner, could help shore up the weaknesses of so many of the others.

Pic related is my voltron deck. Aside from my creatures that give me value on ETB (trinket/trophy mage, sram, stone forge etc) What are some creatures to include that I can slap swords on to when Daxos' commander taxos gets too high?

They won't do partner unless they have multiple partners in each box.

So either three brand new commanders with two or three partner cards, or they reprint a partner commander in those colors from the immediately prior year's release.

I find it unlikely it will have partners at all.

They wouldn't just throw in one random thing with Partner, because by design a Partner Legendary is weaker than a 'normal' one. You'd never want to use a Partner commander solo.

I hope you didn't pay too much for that godawful alter

If they printed commanders with partner that were as good as commanders of the same colors without partner, there would be no point in ever playing those commanders. Brewing would always have "I could splash two more colors into this deck if I went with that partner" hanging over your head. The weaknesses of your two colors are just gone. Commander tables would get stagnant real quick. Keeping their abilities simple was a fine call.
Sure, but Meren does what G&G does better and in better colors for what it tries to accomplish.

That has to be the worst alter I've ever seen.

Okay, there seems to have been some kind of misunderstanding.

I totally understand (and am totally fine with!) Partner Commanders being inherently weaker than normal ones, because otherwise you could have two full-power Commanders in your zone. That's fine- I'm okay with that.

First, I don't think that means the abilities have to be overly simple. You can absolutely tone them back but make them INTERESTING, and more importantly, make them synergize in fun ways rather than what we got, which is a bunch of overcosted versions of existing cards that don't really mesh well together at all.

Second, my gripe there was that people bash on the Commander products for being 'spoonfeeding', as if they're somehow a clever deckbuilder for taking something like Gisa and Geralf and building a deck around that. Newsflash: They've been designing things 'for' Commander since it was still called EDH.

It almost looks like it was done by different people. The tilework is okay, and the shadow of the sheath is fine, but the sheath itself looks like it was doodled in sharpie (seriously, you can see voids where it wasn't even filled in) and the border extensions above the text line are abysmal. Look at how poorly the sky blends, and that fuck-awful column and statue.

My playgroup is dead. I have no one left to play with. My cards are just sitting around mocking me now. If you're in a cool playground I suggest you cherish whatever time you have. Things can change suddenly, and then before you know it your only interaction with the game is talking to people about it on malaysian bean fetishist board.

not mine, it was the first non blurry photo in google

Do you have very many auras, and do you like paying a lot of mana for a chance at a tutor you might not actually get? Oh and do you like creatures that look like they should fly, but they don't? Then this piece of trash is for you.

Post cards your group has disallowed you to use. My first one is exografted skeleton. We tested it once it was kind of ugly.

is there a point in building a voltron deck if you have a ton of creatures on the field?

poison is set at twenty-fucking-one (21) and felidar sovereign is banned because lmao start at 40

On nekusar I forgot to mention

What does food chain Tazri do if food chain gets exiled?

>You can absolutely tone them back but make them INTERESTING
This is the problem with bottom-up design. They had 15 slots to fill in specific color combinations. They decided to use already existing characters because they figured they could sell some product to vorthoses. They played it safe with the abilities, and because of how awful WotC seems to be at evaluating the breakability of cards, I cannot fault them. The last thing they want to do is need to ban their own commander products.
Yes, they could have been more interesting. I agree fully. But ering on the side of caution is something I can't really get mad at them for. Commander products are inherrently boring.
>Speshul snowflake
At least the veil of creativity is there. G&G was an example I saw first hand. A friend of mine loves zombies and wanted to brew G&G as soon as he saw it. Eventually as he was brewing he decided to just go Meren because of how much more efficient she was.

Cry

Lose. Or cast Doomsday or any other backup plan.
>poison
>21
What the shit? It's not really that powerful anyway unless you're playing with turboscrubs

reminder that experience counters gave us
>Kalemne, one of the worst boros generals ever
>Meren, which is boring and every deck is the same
>Mizzix, which is objectively broken
>Ezuri, which outside of comboing with sage of hours doesn't do much
>Daxos, which is just enchantment goodstuff
at least the new secondary commanders were marginally interesting. Here's to hoping they reprint OG sigarda and bruna like they reprinted gisela.

I basically don't wanna play combo or hearthstone, mtg edition

>I don't want people to brew legendaries that were printed in Commander products that outclass standard shit
>but I do want people to brew legendaries that were printed in Conspiracy products that outclass standard shit

they think infect is balanced around reaching half of your life total, not balanced around reaching 10. they are too autistic for any sort of reasoning so i dont even bother any more, and just removed infect from all of any of my decks that played it

Riftsweeper. Literally why the card is run in the deck.

This is why I run jester's cap in a lot of decks. Early ramp into "lol you can't win" is hilarious.

Just because then fucked up the mechanic once doesn't mean they shouldn't try again. There's very few mechanics that were run away successes on their first try. Hell, compare the multi-color creatures of Legends to the ones in Invasion.

Kalemne is ironically probably one of the best Boros generals (she's basically Rafiq in shittier colors) but super easily outclassed and seriously not that great anyway. and she was, i nfact, immediately outclassed by the next commander product with Bruse Tarl for the most part. She's a little better by herself as a one-man army voltron commander since she has vigilance which is huge in commander but bruse's upside with lifelink is so much bigger and the potential to have more colors than boros is kind of a thing.

Also I make this post but I actually hate kalemne because she worst push for a "giant tribal" deck I have ever fucking seen. You mean if I cast a a huge motherfucker in a BOROS deck I get +1/+1 bigger? Wowee zowee mr wizards of the coast thanks a fucking bundle I'll surely shove my WR deck full of giants now instead of going the most boring and still shitty route of playing voltron and ignoring her experience counters.

(reposting from last thread)

tappedout.net/mtg-decks/affirmative-actiondec/

I want to build to a point where i can win with one of the 4 "you win the game" cards i have while shrugging off damage, but hit back if need be.

anything from the maybe to support a slowly and politically built board state?

This may be a bit off topic but would you guys bully my Yu-Gi-Oh friends if they switched their general over here?

>mfw using my friend's Titania deck last night

I'm smitten. Holy shit that was fun; I definitely want my own Titania deck now.

They could do one allied color legendary as the main commander in the set, then three mono-color commanders with partner e.g. WU gets 1 white and 2 blue partners, UB gets 1 blue and 2 black partners etc. That's just as many legendaries as they designed in C16.

Here's what that would enable when combining with C16 partners:
3 unique combinations for every monocolor
15 unique combinations for allied colors
21 unique combinations for enemy colors
12 unique combinations for shards
15 unique combinations for wedges

It's inevitable to get a bunch of playable decks with that many permutations.

i have that in my bruna voltron deck for a while, still mad i spent money on it. with all the other tutors out there why get one so easily dealt with?

Is there anything higher on the "remove from the battlefield" priority list than this card?

kataki
t. breya

is vampire tribal possible in EDH without losing 99% of the time? most vampires seem pretty small and they don't have as much synergies or wonky effects as goblins

I cant play waste not or time seive.

Blightsteel colossus.

There's tons of threads on /v/ and Veeky Forums about it, does it really need it's own Veeky Forums general too?

You could do it for fun but as you said there really isnt much synergy or pay off for doing so. it also kind of sucks you're split between white and red for secondary colors. The commander that gives the most direct pay off to build around is the sac non vampires guy I guess.

Yes.

>Poison is set at twenty-fucking-one
No it isn't.

its a house rule by retards

Then you might as well complain about how Rafiq is legal even though you only get 1 combat step per turn because of the rules saying so

Most things that combo to win the game.

Do you even have a single idea what the conversation is about or what words might mean in a language?

I misread the first thing, my bad.

Trasios + anything

alright. create a commander card using experience counters that is interesting and not broken.
Protip: you literally can't

Kalemne.

>Interesting

Psh.

>Fuckwad, the magnificent
1BBB
Flying, Lifelink
Whenever you lose life, add an experience counter.

Remove an experience counter: target creature gains lifelink and flying until the end of turn.

4/2

Interesting is overpowered.

Ive gotten 3 exp counters as ny maximum. Ive won more than 3 games as kalemne. Shes a fucking atrociously designed card and should have been like the line slinger partner card they printed. she cant even get experience from her patron god, like whats the point of playing a completely flavorless card other than being a sweaty tryhard or a gimic deck.

The flavor is that she leads an army of giants so there is flavor. She's just horrible

Which she isn't? She's barely ok

How is she horrible?

What's a good Timmy/Johnny commander, heavy on the Timmy?

My group is getting sick of pure combos, to the point where they argue with me about rules and the stack to try and make sure I don't win. I want to dial it back and play fatties, but still maintain some light combos

I was being hyperbolic, I actually believe she's okay for a Boros commander. But what is horrible is that she horribly supports any sort of fatty deck.

It's probably my shitty meta but kalemne almost never loses when I play it.

Wort with an emphasis on token makers rather than trying to storm off

Doran? Not much Johnny there however.

1) She's in the single weakest two-color combination of the format

2) Just like almost every single R/W Legend, her abilities are just "SMASH HARDURR"

3) She triggers off of big dudes, which are more common in green than in red/white, and with the fuck-awful ramp in R/W, you've got to balance big dudes to trigger her with spells you can actually play

4) She does nothing the turn she comes down

5) When she does go online, all she does is get very slightly bigger. It helps that she already has Double Strike, but as far as Voltron commanders go, there's better options- hell, there's better options in her own colors.

>disciple of iroas
>cant learn from iroas her teacher
>can learn from elesh norn scourge of reality
Shes worse than you think, she has negative flavor

Nu-sevala

Kalemne gets a bad rap because she's basically a french vanilla big dude that attacks good which is nothing special or interesting. And voltron isn't a very strong strategy in general on top of being Boros colors. It kind of overshadows the fact that she was on release actually the best voltron commander in boros and boros lends itself well to that playstyle regardless of how not good it is.

I have Wort, and that's why they hate me. They tried to argue that if Wort dies after a spell is conspired, the copy no longer exists on the stack

I'm pretty usre the flavor of experience counters is not actually "learning" contrary to the name. I'm pretty sure Ezuri isn't "learning" with his abilities, he's enlisting dorks and compleating them. The flavor for Kalemne's ability is that she gets stronger when she gets more allies in her army, which is composed of giants.

Not going to happen before Food Chain goes off.

ezuri is grafting parts to get stronger, hes the claw of progress. Shes iroas' desciple and her flavor is shes learning combat abilities from these other big dudes to fight better, except shes retarded.

t h r o m o k

manlet detected

>all this talk about the Face-Sitting Queen

At least Im not a straight downgrade from bane of progress

>giantess fetish
please explain that to me because i don't get it.

rude

Price doesn't have vigilance, a base 5/5 body, or the ability to activate the wipe at any time.

>4) She does nothing the turn she comes down
Hall of the Bandit Lord says Hi

>implying people would play her on a turn where she couldn't act immediately
Thats like casting Dark Ritual and passing

...and Kalemne has none of that either.

If you play kalamne and any equipments or big creatures she can easily have 6+ power.

>exiles
>isn't countered by lolTorporOrb, an artifact

>hell, there's better options in her own colors.
Actually, there isn't. Or wasn't until Bruse Tarl/Akiri. I guess Tajic too? But he couldn't be built straight voltron.

Iroas?

1) That's not a 'base' of 5/5

2) That doesn't give her the ability to nuke the board of artifacts and enchantments either