Modern General

Lantern Control takes another GP edition

Thoughts on the deck?

How do you feel about the current meta?

Anything that should be banned/unbanned?

RESOURCES
Current Modern Metagame
mtgtop8.com/format?f=MO
mtggoldfish.com/metagame/modern

DATABASES
magiccards.info
gatherer.wizards.com

READINGS
Modern Affinity with aether revolt
channelfireball.com/articles/modern-affinity-with-aether-revolt/

Other urls found in this thread:

mtgtop8.com/event?e=14731&f=MO
tappedout.net/mtg-decks/16-02-17-modern-grixis-delver/
youtube.com/watch?v=v844YLNeorI
strawpoll.me/12376373/r
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

You're right. My apologies user. I'll keep my theoretical quackery to a different, less sensible audience.

tron is for shitters

Affinity is going to win.

am I bad or is grixis delver not that good of a deck

playing delver is kind of like walking a tight rope and it's not in a great position in the current meta

>10-1 living end

>amulet titan vs living end
Nice to see something other than eldrazi tron vs Death's shadow

Has Wizards or the organizers for the GPs released any attendance figures? I'd really like to see that desu.

>mtgtop8.com/event?e=14731&f=MO
>Stompy

Why is Eldrazi tron so pushed recently?

Did I missed something?

Mox Opal Ban confirmed 100%, sell soon.

fuck off shitposter, no opal deck has been putting up numbers enough to warrant a ban

DS is a zombie deck though. It's going to be banned into oblivion for sure.

I've been playing it a bit and it doesn't feel particularly strong, but it's a fun deck. Singleton Collective Brutality has been pretty good to me. I don't really know what to put in sb so I just threw together some good niche cards.

tappedout.net/mtg-decks/16-02-17-modern-grixis-delver/

haha what the fuck is that list

>IoK
>Thoughtsieze
>pyromancer
>lavamancer
>17 lands with probe ban
>2 snapcaster
>that sideboard
>no tasigur
You really should look at some other lists man, this list is just so cluttered in what it wants to do and doesn't really take advantage of being grixis.

Here's a video about kevin jones discussing the deck post probe ban, he's a pretty known grixis delver player and I'd recommend watching it if you're interested in playing delver.

youtube.com/watch?v=v844YLNeorI

Don't be rude, user
I see, thanks. I just threw together a list off the top of my head because some friends wanted me to play modern with them.

If they ban opal I am selling all my cards and start making top quality fakes just to fuck with the company.

This rollercoaster of destroying formats because of whinny redditors has gone far enough.

why not make top quality fakes right now? if they're really top quality you're going to earn yourself a few bucks

I just called Rich Hagon condescending in Twitch chat and he replied on stream lel.

So what decks are you going to play after affinity is killed?

I don't need the money. I will only dedicate time to do this only if I am filled with a single more drop of hatred for the shitters that run this company.

I don't even play anything with mox opal. The shitty bans tilt me so much.

(you)

>I don't need the money
Said no one ever. If you've got the chance to earn easy money, take it. It's not like you have to feel bad for WotC either.

Is there a commentator worse than him?

literal autism.

I look forward to you leaving the game when Opal is inevitably banned.

Andrew Boswell is dull as all fuck whenever he does SCG.

>Thoughts on the deck?
>thoughts on a deck designed to sit behind a wall of ensnaring bridges and pithing needles while giving you a death by a thousand cuts

Literally the fun police, as you said.

It's incredibly well positioned right now.

I make so much more per hour at my work it would be a silly time investment.

Hatred is a different thing. It becomes recreation.

Fuck your fat mothers cunt you degenerate piece of shit. Look down upon your tiny dick and know that even though your mother lets you fuck her in the basement, she never enjoys it as much as she does with the other HIV positive hobos she has sex with.

Save your time man. Drop a couple hundred on the Chinaman fakes, go to another community while you're travelling, and give them away in playsets.

Some dual lands to that guy, some fetches to that guy, some shocks to that other guy, you get a Liliana, you get a Goyf, etc.

Do it quickly and in a place without a camera. Some will destroy them, but some... they will do the real dirty work for you and attempt to sell them. Or they'll just keep and use them.

But the important thing is, you've let everyone there know that this shit is available. As for the store, they shouldn't be dealing in huge quantities of those cards anyways; only an idiot would be holding on to Modern/Legacy staples and not trying to convert them to cash immediately.

t. tron/mono black control player

Storm actually.

Do boggle have any real chance against grishoalbrand? There is one in my local meta and i dont know how to deal with it (beside sideboard RIP)

>storm player crying for bans after their deck has been neutered time and time again
like pottery, fuck off and cry for bans elsewhere stormcuck

You could also board pretty much any white 2 drop hatebear.

Banning mox opal would actually hurt my brew of storm though. The thing is, I want the banlist to be consistently applied, and wizards cannot do that without banning mox opal at this point.

Path it. It's the only/best option. Don't let them use the lifelink, kill them on the crackback. It doesn't matter if they've drawn 7 cards, you should be able to kill them in one or two attacks.

Ok, but in response to my path grishoalbrad player just activates ability again and begins to execute his combo.

>i want the banlist consistently applied
Mox doesn't meet the criteria for anything on the banlist fuck off retard

>inb4 f-f-fast mana
requires a serious deckbuilding restriction and even in those decks it doesn't always turn on consistently, not to mention an extra mana doesn't do a ton for affinity or lantern.
>inb4 cheerios
folds to literally any interaction and is less than 1% of the meta as well as no tourny results
>inb4 eye of ugin
Completely different situation

stay retarded

>>inb4 eye of ugin
>Completely different situation.

This.

Mox doesn't allow you to dump 8 power on board turn one.

It's your best option. It's not perfect. You could play Surgical if you want but that card is really narrow and isn't as flexible as other sideboard options.

>except when affinity does it.

Ok, ty for answer anyway.

>0 mana creatures

vs

>dumping 2 drops for free

we know at this point you're bad at magic but come the uck on.

>8 power t1
>affinity
I'm no affinity player but anything close to this from affinity would require the most nut draw, so it's not even relevant

The 8 power t1 eldrazi plays were also nut draws. Be consistent, or stop trying.

Eldrazi was broken, deal with it.

It's literally sculpted once in 10,000 games hand vs great hand from eldrazi.

see
keep crying for bans though retard

So is Mox Opal. Deal with it.

No, it's literally basically the same odds for each.

It literally isn't though you're actually fucking retarded. Give reasons for why it's even banworthy and be specific and we'll tell you why you're an idiot.

>inb4 vintage level card memes

I've already given reasons, you're just in denial as an affinity cuck unwilling to adapt.

It enables degeneracy with sramos, props up Lantern Control, the most unfun deck ever created, and allows Affinity to act as the splinter twin of the format.

All of these have resulted in card bans before. (Respectively, storm bans, egg bans, and splinter twin bans).

It provides fast mana too well in modern, and what may have been a fair deckbuilding restriction in the past is no longer fair after another fucking artifact based set.

ban eldrazi temple, no fast mana should be allowed in modern

>lantern is unfun
>tapping creatures sideways round after round with your opponent while waiting to topdeck some sort of answer is ok for magic because that's what I like

hmm really makes you think.

Ban strawmen, no kindling should be allowed in modern.

Don't get me wrong, I've actually had a lot of fun playing as lantern, or playing against it with Gift's Ungiven. But there's no denying that to the community at large it's worse than eggs ever was.

Yunno, I'm not even concerned about deck power levels at this point. And I have like 6 solid Modern decks but I have to move the land base around.

My problem is that most people don't get to go beyond one Modern deck. Or they get one only to get it banned into the ground.

I don't even feel like talking about broken cards in real life or the store anymore when the problem is that there are less and less players able to get some diversity in the decks they play.

I'm feeling like we're complaining that the champagne is warm.

you've given no viable reasons as to why it meets banlist criteria in this thread you idiot.

>degeneracy in cheerios
A deck that folds to literally any interaction and is less than 1% of the meta on top of 0 tourny results? yeah real banworthy idiot
>propsup lantern the most unfun deck ever made
Wotc doesn't do emotional balance but nice try timmy, I'm sorry it hurts your fee fees
>affinity as splinter twin of the format
lol no affinity gets blasted by hate and Ben confirmed on stream yesterday they like how affinity is in the metagame.

All of these have resulted in bans
Cheerios is not as degenerate nor as consistent as old storm, try again retard.
>eggs ban
Eggs was banned for tourny logistics not for emotional balance, also lantern is much faster than eggs is when the lock is in place and the game is all but won. strike 2
>splinter twin ban
A ban that was only because of the pt and almost everyone universally agrees was a mistake?

>fast mana
>implying it's still not a fair restriction
>implying kaladesh made it easier to turn on
Yeah ornithopters and memnites are totally playable without opal, not to mention it's nowhere near eye of ugin in terms of "fast mana"

I don't even play affinity/lantern/cheerios so before you try that bullshit maybe you should realize not everybody is a timmy like you and requires useless bans

t. grxis delver player

Eggs was banned because it went to time too often and literally held up tournaments. Lantern doesn't meet anything in that criteria

This.

Eggs was basically playing solitaire for 20 minutes or more.

Eggs was only banned after it showed up in a major tourney stream, in a way that they couldn't flash away from because it was the final match.

Guess what just ended up on a major tournament stream in a way that they couldn't ignore?

>Sram
>degenerate
>has only been in 2 top8 cheerios lists
Oh yeah, real degenerate.

>affinity is the splinter twin of the format
You're talking about the T4 Infect win, right? Affinity is the #1 reason why you run silver bullets against artifacts. Twin forced you to approach game play in an entirely different direction, Affinity is just "oh no, you have to side against a popular deck"

>using "unfun" in a competitive format
Git Gud nerd.

> is no longer fair after another fucking artifact based set.
An artifact set, who's biggest contribution is Push.

Eggs was logistics ban, not an overpowered ban. Same reason why we can't run Countertop in the format

How can I improve my Mono White Hatebears?

You make it Eldrazi and Taxes

>It enables degeneracy with sramos

Tried both, I get better results with this

>Modern tournaments have recently been diverse, with no dominant deck. However, large tournaments have had a problem with the Eggs deck, causing rounds to take significantly longer.
The deck uses Second Sunrise and Faith's Reward to get back cards that generate mana, such as Lotus Bloom, and various artifacts that draw a card. A common choice to win the game is Pyrite Spellbomb. However, the way the player gets to the point of forcing a win might involve casting Second Sunrise so many times that the entire library is drawn, and only cards put back with Conjurer's Bauble are left. A single turn might take fifteen minutes or more.
In a large tournament, such as a Grand Prix, when time for the round expires, players are given five additional turns to complete their game. Usually, this takes a few minutes to conclude the rest of the games. However, a player playing Eggs might have a fifteen-minute turn during the additional turns, delaying the start of the next round by ten minutes or more (beyond the next-longest match). Over the course of a day, this can mean an extra hour of waiting for everyone else in the tournament.
The DCI considered which card to ban to deal with this issue. We decided to try and do the narrowest possible ban: one that would reduce the chance of such long turns without banning a card used in other decks. That is why Second Sunrise is banned in Modern.

Literally why it was banned and lantern meets nothing on the eggs ban criteria dipshit keep crying.

Cut two Serra Avengers for a Flickerwisp and a Resto Angel

Ban mox opal banposters

I never really understood 4 Resto angels, it's not a card I really want to see multiples of.

strawpoll.me/12376373/r

Let's settle this

Ban Opal and take spirit guide with it

Damn I just voted to ban thinking it was multiple choice and I could vote on all of them.

Ban Opal

As bad as WoTC is, the players are the worst part of this format desu, senpais.

Those of you who want Mox Opal banned: do you have any accomplishments in this game?

you already know they don't so why are you asking? Only literal shitters or starved content creators advocate for a mox opal ban.

do you?

>you already know they don't so why are you asking?
Maybe it will prompt them to self reflect...

I lose to lantern and affinity than cry myself to sleep every day.

It's OK Timmy, I'm sure when wotc bans those big mean problematic decks out of the format your fungus tribal will be viable.

Sorta. I have some PTQ top 8s from before 2015. Last year I went to 3 PPTQs and top 8'd two of them. Haven't been to many GPs, but I made day 2 at one.

So, I'm not a great player, but I'm not Veeky Forums average either.

Anyway, I could see a Mox Opal ban, but I'm certainly not going to cry about the card. I suspect the folks complaining about cheerios are just trolls, since the deck is awful.

That's a relief this format goes way to fast I can't even get 11 forests to cast my woldspine wurm.

UNBAN PROBE

MAKE DELVER GREAT AGAIN

They should unban ponder and preordain while there at it too.

like actually though

I pretty sure its not even possible to do that in Affinity
If you had a master of ethrium, 2 opals, a citadel and three memnites, yeah you have 8 power, but that is a godhand that still ends up eating shit because
>no haste
>no protection from removal

I'm not sure what your saying but I'm being 100% serious.

I think he was doing some cranial plating math or something but I don't think I've ever seen a godhand from affinity were they get more than 3 or 4 on board t1. Hell if you can answer those starts too they usually run out of gas too since that was most of their hand and their board probably consists of some amount of memnites/ornithopters + payoff card.

Well I mean if you play a Glimmervoid, an Opal, and two 0 cost dudes, you can get off two Galvanic blasts. That's 8 damage turn 1

oh. Well, unban most things desu.

not really comparable since it's not going to swing the next turn like a creature. Still, I don't even know how that retard can compare nut eldrazi hands to affinty hands it's almost like they never played during eldrazi winter.

A lot of people didn't play during the eldrazi winter, because of the big bad Hispanic tentacle boogyman
Most Game stores here in Toronto seemed to have been devoid of tentacles, but that didn't stop people from avoiding FNM like the plague.

Ban Mox Opal, Unban Artifact Lands

Did you even play during mirrodin? artifact lands break affinity worse than opal ever could.

Think we can find a way to reliably smash the patriarchy in modern?
I was thinking some kind of Eggs deck.

Artifact removal and other such tools are far better now than they were in mirrodin (I've been playing since invasion). Affinity would be tame if it was slower, not more consistent. Also, the artifact lands would promote more interesting decks.

If you've gone off with Eggs you don't need a shitty enchantment to win you the game.