I'm going to be running my first Fantasy campaign soon...

I'm going to be running my first Fantasy campaign soon. I'm bored to tears with running Vampire Masquerade and Rogue Trader, it's high time for a change!

I want to run something Heroic, good guys doing the right thing in a bad world. I want to build the setting myself (it's pretty much the main draw of RPGs for me) and so avoid Setting-specific games like WFRP or 13th Age. Without knowing too much what I'm getting myself into, I've ended up with a shortlist of Fantasycraft of DnD 5th edition. I've never done d20 anything before, but from what I understand these two games are the ones that do it best.

Fantasycraft seemed to offer a deeper Feat system which I like the sound of, while 5th edition is apparently easier to get to grips with which is a huge draw, the big reason I've stayed away from d20 games for so long is the endless ream of tables and crunch. Are there any other big differences between the games? Would I be shooting myself in the foot for picking one over the other?

Other urls found in this thread:

mediafire.com/folder/nzs6xsnzbid4t/Fantasy_Craft,
myth-weavers.com/sheet.html#id=777993
rpg.drivethrustuff.com/product/63884/Fantasy-Craft-Second-Printing
mediafire.com/download/rscnai437ptu23k/FantasyCraft.torrent
mediafire.com/folder/nzs6xsnzbid4t/Fantasy_Craft
dropbox.com/sh/5dkzgw3cn842eyw/AACivEvWTEODXQgsjBPsHv8wa?dl=0
crafty-games.com/fantasy-craft-print-bundle/
meadicus.plus.com/craftygames/npc-builder/NPCBuilder.html
sletchweb.wikidot.com/fc-origin-creation
crafty-games.com/forum/index.php?topic=8257.msg160117#msg160117
dl.dropbox.com/u/1016700/species feats.xls
crafty-games-fans.wikia.com/wiki/Class_Creation_Guidelines_(Mastercraft)
drive.google.com/file/d/0B7JqPtKRnUBYTkF0YlYxNllQN0hXY0V2c01xa1QzWGd6OF9J/view
crafty-games.com/forum/index.php?topic=8028.msg167911#msg167911
twitter.com/AnonBabble

Fantasy Craft is basically a version of 3.pf that actually works. It's still a crunchy, rules-heavy game, but it does heroic fantasy well.

5e is a much simpler game that sought to sought 3.pfs sacred cows with mixed results but still has some balance issues.

5e is significantly better supported with official supplemental material. Fantasy Craft has exactly one splat book, two adventure books, and a smattering of extra classes. Converting other DnD stuff to FC is pretty easy, but it's extra work you will have to do that you wouldn't need to do as much of with 5e.

All of the Fantasy Craft stuff is available at mediafire.com/folder/nzs6xsnzbid4t/Fantasy_Craft, from back when we used to have regular generals.

Thanks user. From reading, it seems that Fantasycraft is quite compatible with 3.5/Pathfinder, which I can understand. I was wondering if it's also workable alongside 5e? I've got the Feats open now (which are the main draw at least with my limited understanding of the game), are they inherently incompatible with 5e? The bulk of the 5e talents seem to be "If X is happening, get +Y to your roll" or some variation thereof, Fantasycraft seems to make these choices matter a bit more and open up options (primarily in combat). I get that 5e doesn't have Action Die and some terminology (at least) is different, but would I be failing before I started if I tried to mix the two? Is it more trouble than it's worth if not?

>but would I be failing before I started if I tried to mix the two?
Yes.

Fantasy Craft and 5e follow two very different goals.
Fantasy Craft was made to be a good and flexible fantasy RPG, based on the d20 system.
D&D 5e was made to be a product independent from the d20 system that can be marketed to fans of any edition of D&D without pissing them off, proper game design be damned.

You could probably squeeze something together if you really wanted to, but they're two very different games balanced around very different numbers. You're looking at a lot of work that I honestly doubt would be appreciated: if your players care about that sort of thing they'd likely prefer FC anyway, and if they don't than 5e is most likely better for them.

I'm running a FantasyCraft game now. You need to give the book a good read through to get, but after getting into the swing of it I really love the game. The Crafty forums are helpful since they have a 5 year old questions thread; so if there's something you don't get chances are the question already has an answer. I can't say anything about 5e since I never played it, but my brother that played 5e after FantasyCraft was disappointed by the lack of character options. Character options is the big draw for FantasyCraft for me. The party for the game I run consists of a robot burglar with a magic trident, a crystal giant elemental priest that's the party's medic and uses a battering ram, a fairy swashbuckler, a chameleon-man martial artist, and a large sized, levitating robot.

Forgot to mention: the only real area the game's lacking is options for arcane spell casting characters since Spellbound never.

Bumping because this my favorite dead system and my group is about to sit down for our first adventure in a crazy far east setting.

Is it a homebrewed setting? What's it like?

Yeah, The enchanted land, divine magic and lore is powerful and it's steeped in lore and diverse races.

Sounds like my group would love it. Have fun user, sounds like a blast.

Bumping for FantasyCraft.

myth-weavers.com/sheet.html#id=777993

r8 my character

Noteworthy points:
>Drastically reined-in magic system putting casters on equal footing with non-casters
>Classes and the game as a whole designed to ensure everyone can contribute in a wide range of circumstances, even outside their primary niche
>Separate cash and Reputation economies keep mundane gear relevant and magic items special
>Custom monster and NPC design is a breeze
>Optional Campaign Qualities tweak mechanics to suit your preferred style and tone

>If you have the money and want to support the game
rpg.drivethrustuff.com/product/63884/Fantasy-Craft-Second-Printing

>If you want to try before you buy
mediafire.com/download/rscnai437ptu23k/FantasyCraft.torrent
mediafire.com/folder/nzs6xsnzbid4t/Fantasy_Craft
dropbox.com/sh/5dkzgw3cn842eyw/AACivEvWTEODXQgsjBPsHv8wa?dl=0

Other useful links:
>Errata & accessories
crafty-games.com/fantasy-craft-print-bundle/

>Web NPC builder
meadicus.plus.com/craftygames/npc-builder/NPCBuilder.html

>Custom PC Species creation guides
sletchweb.wikidot.com/fc-origin-creation

>Species feat creation guide & reference spreadsheet
crafty-games.com/forum/index.php?topic=8257.msg160117#msg160117
dl.dropbox.com/u/1016700/species feats.xls

>Class design guidelines
crafty-games-fans.wikia.com/wiki/Class_Creation_Guidelines_(Mastercraft)

>Leaked Spellbound Preview
drive.google.com/file/d/0B7JqPtKRnUBYTkF0YlYxNllQN0hXY0V2c01xa1QzWGd6OF9J/view

Ow, my soul/10

But, seriously, you've made a ranger. With emphasis on doing roughing it and coordinating ambushes.

This is a reference, isn't it? One I don't get.

Here's a blank sheet.

>This is a reference, isn't it? One I don't get.
no, it's just my custom FC character

>tfw spellbound is never coming out ;_;

bump

>Spellbound never
>Gear for the Ages even more never
I was more looking forward to GftA, too.

Fantasycraft requires more bookkeeping for combat than 5e or even regular D&D.

What does that have to do with what I wrote?

MUSCLE WIZARDS

Body Casting Basics (Spellcasting feat)
You have undergone a secret ritual to turn your body into an arcane instrument.
Prerequisites: Spellcasting 4+ ranks, Int 13+
Benefit: Your physical body counts as a Mage's Pouch for you (this benefit is lost while you lack access to your body, such as through shapeshifting). Also, you may choose one of your physical attributes (STR, DEX, CON), substituting that attribute's modifier in place of Intelligence when making Spellcasting checks and adding that attribute's modifier to your Panache.

Body Casting Mastery (Spellcasting feat)
With intense training, you have unlocked even greater potential within your body.
Prerequisites: Body Casting Basics
Benefit: Choose a different physical attribute from the one chosen for Body Casting Basics. You may substitute this attribute's modifier in place of Charisma when calculating your Spell Save DC, and your Style feats count as Spellcasting feats for any ability based on that number, including Spell Save DC.

Body Casting Supremacy (Spellcasting feat)
You have studied your body in depth and unlocked all the secrets it holds.
Prerequisites: Body Casting Mastery
Benefit: The third physical attribute score, unused in Body Casting Basics or Body Casting Mastery, is added to your Spells Known. This attribute's bonus is added to your Prudence.

And the bonus spell:

Fist
Level: 7 Energy (Aligned)
Casting Time: 1 half action
Distance: Touch
Area: per explosive damage
Duration: Instant
Saving Throw: per explosive damage
Effect: You deal a sphere of explosive damage with its center at your target. The base damage is 1d3 + your Strength modifier per Caster Level (or whatever you use as an Unarmed Attack multiplied by CL) and the blast increment is equal to half your Caster Level (rounded up). This spell provides no automatic protection to anyone inside the blast, including you, but other abilities that allow you to selectively avoid targets within a spell's area apply normally.

Stop ignoring this thread.

SPELLBOUND
WHEN

I'm honestly not expecting it before the second quarter of next year. This is an entirely baseless assumption.

crafty-games.com/forum/index.php?topic=8028.msg167911#msg167911