Stat me Veeky Forums

The Marines Superior are a relatively small Astartes Chapter based on the feudal world of Mycelium. Due to amorously relationships between the original chapter master of the Marines Superior and the founding matriarch of the planet's noble dynasty, the chapter has a long-standing oath to protect and serve Mycelian Royalty, perhaps even, as certain rumours have it, before the Emperor himself.

Regardless, the Marines Superior have proved themselves time and time again to be a versatile and highly effective fighting force, having successfully driven back a local WAAAAAGH!! lead by the fearsome Freeboota Kupp'a Da King on numerous occasions, foiling his numerous plots to kidnap the royal family.

Tactically, the Marines Superior focus on versatility and unorthodox methods of achieving constant mobility in order to respond and adapt to any circumstance. Each and every Battle Brother of the chapter is fitted with miniature jump packs fitted into their armour as well as earthshaking "Power Boots" to better trample the foes of man underfoot.

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=mcrLkwIfXLU
youtube.com/watch?v=1BhMN7rTLqg
youtube.com/watch?v=UjjPcCmY6cw
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Donkey_Kong_(video_game)
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mario_vs._Donkey_Kong
youtube.com/watch?v=6ULoRwpfClM
youtube.com/watch?v=4uIltztscBM
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

Members of the Marines Superior are trained in the use of multiple separate load-outs, and are well known for swapping gear in the heat of battle to augment the chapter's tactics of extreme adaptability.

One iconic example of this is the elite company of Assault Marines known as the Feathered Capes, who employ gilded jump packs to augment their already impressive jumps to true soaring heights. The capes themselves act not merely to mark a Marine as a member of this group, but also as limited parachutes; stiffening like a glider to extend the radius of the Feathered Cape's power jump.

IT'S A ME, BROTHER-CAPTAIN MARIO

Give him a mustache and he could be Mario

Presumably they have an unusually high amount of Thunder Hammers and man portable inferno cannons.

Also I'd guess they're very well practiced at driving unarmored one-man vehicles, be it bikes or go-karts

GEE I WONDER IF THAT WAS THE POINT

And of course they ride strains of riding Grox known as the Yosh

Nintendo, stop trying to switch it up. You aren't TG, shouldn't be TG, and certainly can't be 40k.

Now go and play with your HD rumble somewhere else.

>Portable inferno cannons

Gotchu covered on that front.

The Infernal Roses are another speciality company based around the use of flamers and shock tactics

>the battle cry of the Thunder Hammer squads is the Mario hammer music

youtube.com/watch?v=mcrLkwIfXLU

DA DA DA DA DA DA DA DA DA DA DA DA

AH YES, BATTLE BROTHER, LET ME SING YOU OUR SONG OF BATTLE. IT IS A SIMPLE HYMN TO OUR EMPEROR. IT GOES LIKE THIS....

DOOT DOOT DOOT, DOOT DOOT DOOT DOOT!

>TG
Please kill yourself.

Their Star Powerups are their First Company, right?

youtube.com/watch?v=1BhMN7rTLqg

RIP user, he was a good boy

For whatever reason, the terminator suits are painted in rainbow coloration.

All Terminator companies sing the Hymn of Invulnerability during battle

youtube.com/watch?v=UjjPcCmY6cw

It is said that if a Battle Brother ceases to sing, their good fortune will come to an end.

specialized in fighting in sewers of underhives, can fix pipes too while they're at it.

You are mistaken my friend.
The Venerable Marines Superior have engaged in battle on certain infamous occasions, such as the Battle of the Four Pipes, in which they cooperated with their green-clad Brother Chapter to defeat Chaos-mutated sewer creatures.

Enclosed is a rare colourized pict of the event.

OP, this is waaaaaaay better than The Hanged.

OP here.

The Marines Superior do not, in fact, have the planet to themselves, and share Mycelium as their homeworld with their obscure Brother Chapter the Marines Inferior.

The rivalry that has sprung between the two, made even worse with the lack of accreditation to the Marines Inferior for their significant contributions in numerous campaigns, has left this green-clad Brother Chapter far more embittered and belligerent than the Marines Superior, sparking rumours of their "Stare of Death" which can kill at a glance. In reality, this phenomena is actually attributed to the ocular weaponry many Marines Inferior choose to arm themselves with, but the effect on these unfortunate chapter's reputation remains.

The chapter seems to have a geneseed defect that causes them to attempt to leap at any sort of flag or banner. This uncontrollable subconscious reaction has cost them many battles.

WARIO CHAOS WARBAND WHEN

When a Marine Inferior finds himself bereft of weaponry in the midst of battle, they have been known to simply crush the opponent under the sheer weight of their armored bulk by falling face first flat on their foes.

Would they be Slaanesh or Nurgle

fuck it took me a while to get it
damn it, hangovers a bitch

The Marines Inferior are experts in the field of demonology, secondary (as is their eternal curse) only to the Grey Knights. Using a modified variant of gravity weapons, they are able to not only rend the flesh of Daemons, but also to give solidity to their Warp Essence and imprison them within their backpacks.

This is especially ironic for the Marines Inferior given their quite embarrassing Gene-Seed Defect which causes the inevitable manifestation of Phobias of varying severity within their ranks, which the Daemons and Warp Creatures they face take gleeful advantage of. According to their Chapter's historians, this tradition was begun as a personal penitent crusade and means of purging the weakness from the chapter via direct exposure. Other sources claim that it was begun by mere chance when their founding chapter master stumbled quite by accident into a warp anomaly guised in an ancient manor.

Please draw your attention to the II on their kneepads. I thought that was a clever fucking touch.

Pls appreciate me

That is all.
-OP

They don't have drop pods, their ships just extend long green tubes down to the planet

Wtf is the Hanged?

Wario would probably by Nurgle. He's got the repulsive and disgusting habits. (See; using flatulence as an attack)

Waluigi would be Malal, for they are both obscure and self-defeating

Kupp'a Da King and his Kupp'a Klan are orks known for their obsessive fascination with a strangely mutated strain of squigs, tentatively classified as Shell Squigs.

While there are a staggering variety of these strange creatures, Shell Squigs are, for the most part, dumb brutes which can be trained as simple guard animals, though they have an unfortunate tendency to patrol in endless circles or off cliffs- members of this family include the Turtle Squigs, the Spiny Squigs, and the Beetle Squigs. The Chomp Squigs are terrifying exceptions to the rule: too ferocious for even their brutish masters to properly control, these toothy, nigh-indestructible beasts are often chained to posts and left to their own devices.

However, when worn as backpacks by their orkish masters, these squigs harden their carapaces into something akin to living armor. While rank and file orks- 'Troopaz'- are fearsome enough, larger orks in leadership positions- 'Boom-Boomz' and/or 'Kupp'a Kidz'- are given rarer, even more strangely mutated subspecies of squigs to wear. And, of course, there are Kupp'a Da King's own personal shell squigs...

>WTF is the hanged

TAKE THE KNOT

Mate Wario is much more greedy and unhygenic then malicious.

He's clearly a rouge trader dynasty.

If you want chaos warbands why not the Witch Cackletta?

So snakebites?

Consider it canon now. Pretty great stuff.

Both the Marines Inferior and Marines Superior and Marines Inferior claim heritage from the same Lost Primarch; Maya Moto.
While Inquisitorial records have evidence of this figure ever existing, lost data files buried in the oldest of Pre-Imperial ruins have been found containing programmes attributed to him. These generally take the form of simplistic simulations and are thought to be methods of documenting the history of the two Brother Chapters for youth education.

'Cause then we get obscure my dude.
The aim is to import the big parts of Mario into the setting, not literally everything.

It's a good thought, but a bit beyond what I had in mind.

Honestly, Wario and Waluigi could both be considered candidates for Malal, or just Renegades, as they are variably dastardly fiends and mildly annoying anti-heroes

Problem I see is that there are like 1 reoccuring antagonist.

Wario has officially saved the world and sold more games then he has particurally bothered it. And Wailuigi is mostly known for his tennis skills.

Hence the rogue traders, gaudy and for the most part annoying to the actual respectable citizens.

King Boo? Petey Pirranha?

Kamek?

Well, sure, they have their signature foe, but that hardly means they can't take on other people. The Grey Knights' signature foes are Daemons, but have also been deployed against other foes.

Kamek is Kup'a allied, I'd imagine just a high ranking Weirdboy.

Give King Boo to the Marines Inferior as a reoccurring Daemon foe

Petey has very little info. A beast that inhabits the underground of Mycelium maybe.

No i mean in mario.

Mario games have either a 1 off antagonist or bowser. There is no inbetween really.

Irrelevant. The point here is to create a joke Chapter based on Mario while preserving lore in interesting ways.

If we want to say that the Mario legion fights Tyranids, they can fight Tyranids

I'm dialing it back.

There was hesitation in using minor enemies in mario such as Fawful, Bleck, blah blah.

My arguement is that, except for the Big B, they are ALL minor.

Sure mario can fight tyranids, you can probbably even make the tyranids a fuzzies reference. Or of course the Shy Tau. Mario's a flexible guy.

Its just if your going to be picky on your mario inspiration your going to find that is a shallow well.

>Shy Tau
This needs art. They could almost be a chaos cult given their masks, robes and spontaneous powers, but Tau helmets work perfectly for the idea.

Shy'Ui? Shas'Guy? Guy'La Auxilliaries? I have no idea but it's fucking hilarious and wonderful. Incidentally I'm loving this thread and I like the Marines Superior and Inferior and Kupp'a da King's boyz, I love the whole of Mycellium so far and agree that including super niche stuff as anything other than one-off mentions is probably too much. Are Princess Daisy and Lunette too niche? I don't know, Ihaven't slept in a while so I'm just watching this all mostly.

>This needs art

Here you go.

Daisy is not too obscure, that's fine.
Call her the heir to a separate Dynasty that fought in civil war against the Toadstools backed by the Marines Inferior and Superior respectively.

Hell, she's even supposed to be the princess of Sarasaland, which is separate to the Mushroom Kingdom

Speaking of Mushrooms.. had a thought.

Despite the Marines Superior's general success as a chapter, their initiates are renowned for being inept and generally ill-trained, especially when compared to the scouts of other Chapters (even, to the Marines Superior's great shame, the Marines Inferior)

As such, their role in battle is largely relegated to armed bellhops: toting around their veteran Brothers' spare gear for them to change loadout mid battle.

Their distinctive red and white spotted helmets, modelled after the PDF uniform of Mycelium, and their subservient position have earned them the unfortunate nickname of "Toadies"

Shi'Gue?

We should come up with some special characters. Not sure how that would work, but I have some thoughts.

The Chapter Master of the Marines Superior would, of course, be none other than Marius Mario; a jovial and paternal sort of fellow to his fellow Battle Brothers and a true terror on the battlefield due to his masterful use of Jump packs in junction with his Power Boots, able to down even the greatest of foes in a singular leap. Years of fighting against the heavily armoured foes of the Kupp'a Klan have taught him how to angle his leaps just so as to bypass armour entirely when attacking from above.

The Marines Inferior, however, are lead by a much less bombastic individual; one Lugius Mario. While lacking the striking battlefield presence of Brother Marius, Lugius is well studied in tactics and, fittingly enough for one so confined to the shadows, allows his fellow marines to keep a low profile even in their brightly coloured armour. In addition, his expertise excising all manner of Daemon give him and his men an edge over any and all foes of Daemonic origin, making him a bane of the warp when coupled with his custom archaeotech gravity weapon.

WAAAAAAHHH

Shouldn't the toadies be the Guard regiment?

Probably, but that'd mean buggering about with two codexes. Could make them serfs, but I like it this way.

1st Guard Regiment of Mycelium, aka the "Toads" have existed ever since the first settlement of the planet. The 1st is famous for their guard duties of the royal family alongside the Marines Superior. Their helmets are a distinct white with red dots to represent the royal familie's colours which were based on Mycelium's many mushroom species.

Colored in a attempt of the Shy'Gue.

I made the soft armor the same color as the mask straps because the overwhelming red made them look like i didn't know how to use the paintbucket.

Yeah.. you're right. It does make a lot more sense, I was just coming from gameplay standpoint of not wanting to deal with mashing Codexes.

Anyway, so I think all the power ups we have to work with would make for great Artefacts for the Marines to take.

"Charm of Life Beyond Death" allows a unit to survive a hit that would normally kill it on a successful roll, pic related.

Are we allowed to include NPCs from the Paper Mario games as options for major figures, by the way?

Also, what does this make Donkey Kong and the other Kongs? Chaos warband?

The Primaris Mycelin grew only in the crackling arcanotech of the planet's oldest ruins, scattered castles that must regurally be purged of the feral orks and their wild squigs that infest them. There they lie in wait in the ancient portal boxes. Golden relics who's std template are long lost that were used to store technology in the age of strife. With these devices now failing they may still cough up treasure to the lucky.

To become a initiate a hopeful must navigate within these keeps, find the box and strike it firecely enough to dislodge a mushroom.

More orks I'd say. Orks are the most gorillay.

Acquiring one of this from the

"Token of Embiggened Might" +1 wound

Go for it, if it fits, it should be okay.

I dunno if the Kongs really fit in. Perhaps beastmen living in the jungles of Mycellium

One could argue they are good guys though just at arms against Mario. They could be a very very rival faction. One aggressive enough to kidnap their monarch as humilation (claiming the worship was heresy). Marines Simius?

Inquisitor Cranky and his retinue of feral worlders, most notably the scum known as Donkey, famous for kidnapping a planetary govenor who had to be rescued by the Marines Superior in one of the now chapter master's first missions.

However Donkey escaped capture and ended up under Inquisitor protection.

His plasma gun can fire in spurts if it shoots ya, its gonna hurt.

Though perhaps the most useful is the blank codnamed lanky, he has no style or grace.

Infernal Rose: Extra damage when using flamers or other incendiary weaponry

I dunno, I'm sort of latching onto the idea of the Kongs as beastmen. Pre-Imperial contact, Mycelium was divided between numerous different kingdoms: The Mycelian Kingdom, Sarasaland, The Country of the Kongs, and the Kupp'a Klans. The Kongs were all but wiped out and Sarasaland was pacified after the civil war, but the Kupp'a are still at large due to their spacefaring capacity and Orky habit of making more of themselves.

Anyone want to settle for a compromise that the Kongs are Beastmen who lived in the jungles of the Mycelian planet, but once Imperial contact was established the Kong clans were slowly brought into the fold as Empire-sanctioned beastmen? At least until the Empire decided that beastmen were bad?

A few notable ones lived though (DK) and still prove shaky relations with the other factions on the planet (sometimes allied, sometimes not so much).

>Kongs
Well obviously a naturalized tribe of Jokaero. Long time ago a Mechanicus transport loaded with Jokaero crashed in the jungles of Mycelium, with the only survivors being the Jokaero. Time went and they regressed a bit, losing some of their engineering expertise in adapting to Mycelium's jungles.

Or we could set them on a nearby planet, Kong's Land (named after the Rogue Trader, Kong III).

For the record I think Count Beck is far too obviously chaos for him NOT to be used.

I mean, come on, his backstory won't even need much tweaking.

Anons and gents, I think we have a winner.

It actually makes perfect sense too, given what the Kongs get up to.

They build fucking planes and shotguns out of barrels.

Call 'em "Feral Jokaero"

That may be true, but we're straying quite a bit here.
Let's stick to basics

>"Stare of Death" which can kill at a glance.

>Mario and Luigi: Space Marine Chapters
>Kongs: Feral Jokaero
>Koopas: Orks n Squigs n Whatnot
>Shyguys: Tau
>Toads: Guard Regiment
>Hylians: Eldar maybe? (If we're going full blast, don't gotta though)

Personally, I would prefer the Koopas be something more like a particularly large Chaos Warband + Lost and the Damned Regiment, but Orks with special squigs works fine.

Honestly I'd have made "Hive Fleet Koopa" and gone from there but Koopaling nobs work just as well.

As for Hylians why use them?

have him fuck luigi in the buthole

A gigantic Smash-brothers style clash over one particularly valuable planet between the most notable nintendo-themed race-factions.

Why Hylians? This is a Mario thread, you can go fluff some Zoldo elsewhere.

If you really want to get the Eldar in on this, why not use Rosalina and have pic related be a Craftworld in the region of Mycelium

Link makes a cameo in the first Super Mario RPG game on SNES.

You're grasping at straws here bud, let's try to keep a focus.

I'm just saying that's why may have suggested Hylians as part of the faction list.

Bullet bills can be a astartes weapon.

Relic or just a modified artillery?

Ah, awright, fair dinkum.

Anyway, we were talking about unique characters before, right?

I suppose we could name various chars after Nintendo execs. Maya Moto is already a Primarch, so why not have a Venerable Brother Ihwatah Dreadnought or a Regginator Termie hero?

BBs are actually used by the Koopas in game, but I sort of like the thought of a mutal tech exchange between them.

So both the Marines Superior and Inferior as well as the Kupp'a Klan use Bullet Bills (Self-directed artillery rounds) and Bob-Ombs (Explosive simple minded drones)

The Blue Shell should be a big heavy ordinance.

Actually, I was suggesting Hylians because they're a separate entity that is usually kept to themselves, already elves, and with Ganondorf could also lead to a Dark Eldar faction based on him and his minions-- but if nobody likes it, that's cool. Them, Samus, and many other Nintendo properties are only a degree of separation further than the Kongs.

Don't see Rosalina as an Eldar personally, but whatever floats your boat. Or spaceship, I guess. She's a bit too nice.

Venerable Brother Iwata, who still fights side by side with Reggie's Terminator Squad.

Also, they are able to jump good.

Donkey kong has a bigger influence on the mario verse then wailuigi and daisy do.

But Donkey Kong is its own franchise. Aside from the original arcade games from before there was a universe, and a couple of tacky crossover games, he only really ever appears in the same games as the two you mentioned. Hell, Waluigi even has a bigger part in certain games.

>Couple
I think you mean "Almost all of them".
Kart, party, every sports game.

I see where you're coming from, but the difference here is that while they did evolve into their own franchise, the Kongs started out as baddies for Mario and continued to serve that role every now and then.

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Donkey_Kong_(video_game)
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mario_vs._Donkey_Kong

Why, what role do you see her in? She'd obviously need to be tweaked quite a bit from the godlike position she takes in game.

>PLEASE UNDERSTAND, BATTLE BROTHER

Okay, but I meant the Mario vs. Donkey Kong games involving those weird tinkertoy shitbots. They all also appear in those.

I'd probably see her as something like a particularly powerful member of the adeptas sororitas, or a fairly disconnected member of the Adeptus Mechanicus. She just seems too nice to be an Eldar.

Also, thanks for reminding me of what games those shitty little robots were from.

>Also, thanks for reminding me of what games those shitty little robots were from.
No prob friend.

Eh. Rosalina seems like something for the backburner.
Incidentally, should we consider archiving this? I could just screencap important bits, but I'm lazy

But back to unique units.
I think we can give the Trickster Sakurai to the Marines Inferior. Not sure how he'd play, but definitely something underhanded and sly.

Living Saint Rosalina of the Order of the Starry Night?

Maybe we should consider archiving? I dunno.

Sakurai goes to the Marines Inferior. Should we figure out where Yoshi and the Goombas come in?

That sounds cool, honestly.

Marines Diabolical

Yoshi is defiantly a species used as mounts by the Marines Superior (someone mentioned it earlier, calling them "Yoshs".)

Yoshi is easy. Riding grox bred to be Space Marine sized called Yosh.
I think I mentioned that earlier

Goombas can just be squigs, they're both fungoids. (Though Goomba is supposed to be based on a chestnut)

Lesse... I'm forgetting some people.. Howard Phillips I suppose is a good all around guy for morale if anyone else remembers them.

We wanna get extra obscure, Stan Lee the Tyranidbane gives Preferred Enemy: Tyranids

Jumpmhan is just a tougher marine with a big hammer and Hatred: Jokaero

Getting into original stuff, Kai-Zhoh could be a hard-as-nails tank who's impossible without burning tonnes of units.

Not just mere mounts, but such is the Superior's attachment to these Yoshs that they are deployed along initiates with the expectations that they will protect these young trainees.

Yoshi island reference.
Almost none of this makes sense to me. Shows what i know about mario.

In order:

Howard Phillips was the spokesman for Nintendo through the Golden Age years back in the NES-SNES days.
Had a sort of a Jimmie Olsen meets Archie sorta persona that was really good for connecting with both kids and adults.
Nintendo gave him a business card as a "Game Master" and everything.

Stanley the Bugman is from Donkey Kong 3, pic related, where he replaced Mario and fought bugs

Jumpman was Mario's original name back in Donkey Kong days

and Kaizo refers to a series of romhacks that make the Mario games (nearly) impossible to beat
youtube.com/watch?v=6ULoRwpfClM

Kong Island is close enough to Bowser's Kingdom that one of his tanks have actually shown up in DKC.

The Marines Superior have many enemies like Kupp'a Da King, however none have proved so elusive as a group of Hereteks, the Nauts. Their main base has not yet been found in the more recent millennium however it is thought to be somewhere within the solar system due to a lack of warp signals. They are known for their glaring red and white uniforms with their more heinous combat servitors lacking even the barest human form.

That actually looks more like a Kong style tank, look at the wood and rope.

youtube.com/watch?v=4uIltztscBM

That's what Bowser's tanks look like, unless you count the ones from SMB3, in which case you may have a point.

Rumors among the Marines Superior say that the Nauts search the system for seven Dark Age Artifacts that will allow them to summon a Demon Prince.

Nevermind, you're right, the wiki confirms it.

So, the Kongs are fleshed out a bit, what about K. Rool and the Kremlings?

Heretek's intent on using the jokaro to bolster their own impressive armory?

*Mutant* Hereteks

Its chaos its a default assumption.

>Count Bleck
My good bro.

Asteroidea Observatorium: Marines Superior Battlebarge.

This ancient ship may look bizarre compared with the most "standard" configurations of other chapters. Some even say that it has heretical xenotech of Eldar origin.

However this heterodoxy is due to millenia of combat and repairs. It is said that it is piloted by an ancient navigator, the fairest of them all, untouched by the corruption that punishes this caste.

Marines Inferior are also the creators of the D.E.L.U.G.E purgation system used by their brother chapter: weaponised high preassure blessed water able to send back to the warp the cursed nurgle demons that invaded Delfino IV.

Marines Covetous