EDH/COMMANDER GENERAL

Crocodile Dragons Edition

RESOURCES

>Official Site: Contains deck building rules and the current ban list.
mtgcommander.net

>Deck List Site: You can search for decks that other people have made. Authors often have comments that explain their deck’s strategy and card choices.
tappedout.net

>Another resource for commander discussion; they have an entire forum dedicated to discussing decks. People often make primers, which go into detail about how they built and play their deck.
mtgsalvation.com/forums/the-game/commander-edh

>Statistically see what everyone else puts in their commander decks based on what is posted to the internet.
edhrec.com/

>Find out what lands you can add to your deck, sorted by category, based on a chosen Commander’s color identity.
manabasecrafter.com/

>CARD SEARCHING

>Official search site. Current for all sets.
gatherer.wizards.com/

>Unofficial, but has GOAT search interface.
magiccards.info/
combodeck.net/

>Thread Question
What is your biggest pet peeve in Magic?

Other urls found in this thread:

tappedout.net/mtg-decks/frankies-first-edh/
tappedout.net/mtg-decks/little-teysa-3/
tappedout.net/mtg-decks/nin-wip-1/
tappedout.net/mtg-decks/jenaras-bant-enchantress/
tappedout.net/mtg-decks/t-h-e-b-o-y-s-a-r-e-b-a-c-k-i-n-t-o-w-n/
tappedout.net/mtg-decks/atraxa-tokencounters/
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

>Thread Question
People who play Islands

>What is your biggest pet peeve in Magic?
My group trying to fight me on rules that don't work in their favor, while still deferring to me for all rules questions that do work in their favor

Poor threat assessment.

And yet she's in the absolute worst color combination in the format, with no synergy with basically any of the subthemes of those colors unlike Jor-Kadeen or Tajic, while performing the same exact role except worse and being similarly costed.

What is your biggest pet peeve in Magic?
30 minute turns when I'm about to win.

So After getting told to make a Tappedout account, I did so and entered what I had so far.

tappedout.net/mtg-decks/frankies-first-edh/

What should I add to this deck for the remaining 60 cards? I'm a bit creature starved, so I'm not sure what to add. Some tutors?

>with no synergy with basically any of the subthemes of those colors
She actually does if you look beyond the, yes, admittedly shitty face value "play big guys" thing, for the same reason Wizards always gives WR the double strike guys in sets.

Easy. When your playgroup gets mad at you when you do anything at all to disrupt their board state or foil their plans.

Seriously, in my group, I can't even play a fucking boardwipe without everyone getting pissed off at me.

Like, overall, or in a game?

Overall, it's people who argue about badwrongfun- both competitive players telling casuals that they're wrong, and vice versa.

become a judge and tell them to stfu

So if you remove "play big guys", what synergy does she have with WR that other Commanders don't do infinitely better?

Kalemne is a far better Voltron commander than Jor Kadeen. Tajic is more resilient but packs less of a punch, pound for pound. Both of them are more "Go-Wide" commanders. Double Strike + Vigilence is incredible synergy for the Swords/Jitte

She plays equipments (and I guess auras) better than the other two you mentioned because of double strike, and vigilance allows you to protect yourself when you're doing nothing but swinging, and she's cheaper than jor kadeen and holds equipment better than him.

>Biggest pet peeve

People fucking whining about boardwipes or resource destruction.

If my only way to stop your 10/10 Indestructible Hexproof dude is to make it so you can't even play it, then good. Fucking timmy.

She could be a 21/21 double strike and I would hesitate to call her good being in the colors that she's in and the lack of evasion.

The fact that she doesn't even kill in three hits unlike the usual go to voltron commanders, has no evasion, no protection and is in terrible colors does not paint her in a good light.

No one called her good. did anyone call her good? I don't think so.

She's better than both the other commanders you listed, however, Voltron is pretty easily done in Boros, where as going wide isn't.

She kills in 3 hits with almost any equipment put on her, or if you follow her up with a 5 or 6 drop.

Given the tone of your deck, this is a must. Don't forget master decoy

OP here, my biggest pet peeve is when you've beaten someone and they look at the top card of their library to see if that would have beat you. It's like, "Fucker, you're already dead. It doesn't matter if your next card would have turned the tide because you lost. Quit trying to make yourself feel better and accept the fucking L."

Sram's Expertise + Restore Balance

DO IT

I've said she's bad, and get a reply saying that wasn't the argument, and that "How one builds one's deck is a better way to gauge a commander's impact."

So I make the claim that she lacks synergy with her colors and list similar commanders with synergy with those colors, ones that are naturally larger than her and with better abilities. The reply I get is that she has synergy.

No. She does not.

Tajic kills in three hits without any equipment on him, as does Jor Kadeen. Or you could just run Uril and despite still being in an awful color combination at least kill someone in two hits.

Even tho I know this for fun, the deck building restriction only lets you have cards that share a color identity with your commander.

You can have cheatyface outside of the game tho.

But user, I always look at what my next few draws would have been at the end of a game. Even if I win.

That doesn't work as well as you might think for some people.

You're kind of a baby, user. Of course I'm going to look at my next couple draws if I lost to see if I'd get anything good because why not?

Saying " No" doesn't make you right user. Others have posted legitimate support for their claims while also discrediting yours.
>tajic
a 2/2
>jor kadeen
a 5/4

Do you now understand that looking at cards in a vacuum isn't always the best way to evaluate them? Because that's what you've been doing for Kalemne yet at the same time assuming ideal scenarios for those other commanders.

My biggest pet peeve is when I play control/stax and I'm the only one stopping the combo player from going off and then some dumbass kills me because I countered his genesis wave for 50 or his ulamog and then he complains when the combo players win

So is Toyark going to be a legendary, or a normal ass creature?

I do this all the time. It's just fun to look, and like you said it doesn't matter

Tajic requires other creatures to be there and he has no evasion or relevant keywords that help end the game. Only good thing about Tajic is that he's indestructible.

Jor is hardly used as the commander because he supports going wide more than going tall. His keyword sucks too.

Double Strike is literally the best thing a voltron commander can have. It's why Rafiq is considered one of, if not the best voltron commander. Hexproof is a close second, but you're really undermining Double Strike. The vigilance just adds a level of defense as well.

Is Kalemne bad? When you compare her to every other commander in the game, yes. When you compare her to Boros, not so much. Only better ones are Gisela, Aurelia, and Iroas imo.

>group wants me to build straight-up Turn Creatures Sideways deck
>too Johnny to let go of combos
>can't decide which Big Fat Timmy commander to build
SHIT

Tajic only kills in three hits if you're also attacking with other creatures. If we're arguing 'with no support', Tajic kills in 11 hits.

Toyark's the name of the website that took the picture, dipshit.

Ruric Thar, with the only noncreature, nonland card being Primal Surge.

I'm going to build a gitrog deck eventually. And I'll put a sequestered stash in it.

id figure anyone tries to become a judge to spite him would probably fail if they are bad at rules.

Look no further, Xenobro got your back

>want to try to take the creatures approach
>board wipe board wipe sac a noncreature permanent 'no combat phase for you' spot removal board wipe

This is why I play combo, you fuckers. THIS IS WHY.

r8 and h8 my edh decks m80s

BW Teysa tokens
tappedout.net/mtg-decks/little-teysa-3/

UR Nin fun stuff - the least competitive of them but pretty fun in a classical "controlly" way
tappedout.net/mtg-decks/nin-wip-1/

And Bant Enchantress Voltron - the one I need the most help with because I still don't know which cards to cut to be optimal
tappedout.net/mtg-decks/jenaras-bant-enchantress/

My group is comprised entirely of Timmys. And the Meren player. Wipes happen rarely, and I'm usually the one who drops them just to keep myself from getting annihilated

Brion Stoutarm. You get to turn creatures sideways, just not in a traditional way
>But Boros
Don't be a pussy. Run artifact/red draw/wheels

Whatcha think? Jund colored Croco-Dragon God?

I hope so. We are far overdue for Shard commanders

How many 'exile graveyard' cards should I play against my Meren player at my LGS? He always wins because no one wants to kill him before he has an obscene board state and always managed to come back.

Have creatures turning sideways combo with their life total.

Oh, absolutely.

What I'm saying (from experience) is you can say "I'm a Level 2 Judge, and here is the exact passage in the Comprehensive Rules, plus a screenshot from the Rules Manager's personal blog, plus an article -I fucking wrote- about this specific interaction"

And they'll still say "You're wrong tho"

I'd say 2 or 3. You don't want to go overboard. Every game you stop him with grave hate, point that out to your opponents. Every game where you didn't and he wins because NOBODY stopped him, point that out too.

Or just build your own super graveyard deck.

>Do you now understand that looking at cards in a vacuum isn't always the best way to evaluate them?

Alright fuck it, wasn't going to go this far but I need to keep procrastinating so here.

Sure, if we had some ridiculous restrictions to our argument and say we can't have other creatures for Tajic, or artifacts for Jor Kadeen, then yes Kalemne is pretty decent in this vacuum no cards in hand, nothing on the board, your opponents have no creatures, you have no other creatures or artifacts and your opponents have no cards in hand scenario. Just slightly less worse than Serra Ascendant even.

Now let's talk about board wipes. White has really good boardwipes. Too bad though, as you can't cast them because they kill your commander. Which other commanders can live through boardwipes in these colors for similar CMC while still remaining an okay beatstick? Avacyn and Tajic. Or how about equipment, I mean we're already hoping to connect through combat with a beater with no protection in a color with exactly seven playable equipment tutors so we should have Jitte and Swords already on her, right? In this perfect scenario she has become slightly better than Jor Kadeen, but of course you're in a color combination that has almost no ability to protect your own boardstate outside of not so great effects like Second Sunrise so it hardly matters to an even slightly interactive table. Going wide? Red and white have probably the most overlap there, of course which has zero synergy with Kalemne as she doesn't care what the rest of your board looks like.

So let's see, powerful effects in our colors that she has synergy with.
>Wheels
No.
>Boardwipes
Negative synergy.
>Tokens
No.
>Equipment
She does attack so yes.
>Taxes
Negative synergy.
>MLD
No.
>Burn
No.
>Prison
No.

Where's the fucking synergy?

tappedout.net/mtg-decks/t-h-e-b-o-y-s-a-r-e-b-a-c-k-i-n-t-o-w-n/

Reposting before bed, taking any suggestions on theme-appropriate cards I haven't thought of.

You keep talking about having synergy with the things those colors do, but for example Tajic doesn't have any synergy with anything there but boardwipes and tokens (and I guess equipment?). Jor Kadeen has nothing but equipment like Kalemne and tokens. WR Avacyn has synergy with boardwipes and tokens as well I guess but that's a lot of mana at once (avacyn + wipe) that also needs an established board to make the swing that relevant. As far as I can tell, by the things WR can have synergy with listed, even the ones beign compared to kalemne don't seem to have that much synergy.

Besides that, synergy isn't just an on or off thing. You can have some synergy or you can have a LOT of synergy. Kalemne with equipment is more powerful than Jor Kadeen with equipment if the intent is to swing with her. So her synergy with equipment is much higher than Jor Kadeen's, which would be evened out by him having synergy with them and tokens. Which is something not being factored in here. Besides that, sometimes someone just wants to build a voltron commander in WR, and Kalemne is probably the best at it. It's not the best strategy, but neither is, say, vampire tribal, but people will try it because that's what they wanted to do in whatever their chosen color is.

cant fight stupid with logic.

actual best idea if only for a good prop gag: give them a book on reading comprehension.

Hey guys, I want to upgrade my Atraxa precon into this. Have a look and tell me what you think. I'm open to any critiques or suggestions. I just wanted to see what anyone thought before I started purchasing cards. Thanks!
Decklist: tappedout.net/mtg-decks/atraxa-tokencounters/

Anyone know what plane Marath is from? I've been looking for the deck strategy insert online, but nobody has posted anything..... PLEASE HELP

Naya, now Alara

sweet thanks

I actually thought this, but actually nothing states where he was from. I thought it said he was from naya in the pamphlet the deck comes with but I can't find it. He actually strikes me as from lorwyn/shadowmoor but I'm sure they would have said if he was.

I believe his lands have the art from Alara, but I could be misremembering. I know they did this for some of the commander sets, but maybe It was only for the monocolored commanders.

>Player says he just runs derp decks
>Drops Zedruu
>I know hes a fucking liar
>Zedruu players are always degenerates
>Murder him ASAP
>He gets pissy saying I had no reason to
>Next game I sit out and take a phone call
>He combo'd off with Zedruu because people left him alone
>My face

I thought my playgroup was better than this

>In this perfect scenario
It's really not that hard to tutor equipment in RW
Enlightened Tutor (Tutorable via Sunforger),Steelshaper's Gift, Open the Armory, Recruiter of the Gaurd/Imperial Recruiter into SFM, Godo, Stonehewer Giant, Even fucking Relic Seeker/Steelshaper's Apprentice

>you're in a color combination that has almost no ability to protect your own boardstate
Idiot Status: Unlocked. White has the BEST protection against wipes/spot removal
Ghostway/Legion's Initiative/Eerie Interlude/Boros Charm/Rootborn Defenses/Eldrazi Displacer/
Mother of Runes/8.5 Tails/Protection in General/Indestructibility/Bastion Protector/Shield of Faith
Archangel Avacyn/Selfless Spirit/Big Bad Avacyn
>mentioning Second Sunrise when Faith's Reward exists

>Going Wide?
No you moron we're talking about voltron commanders. Although dipping into a token subtheme is helpful to counteract edicts and offer skullclamp fodder

I actually never knew the land art mattered, especially since it couldn't for some (like Daretti), but now that you mention it the Teferi deck came with the art I use for him and Nahiri came with zendikar plains.

And Ob Nix's are Zen Swamps as well, and Freyalise's look like Llanowar to me.

I'm just not sure if it was a one time thing, but I think they matched.

So Croco-Dragon is probably Sobek, but what other gods are we getting? Anubis for sure, Horus or Osiris, Bastet? Will Bolas claim to be their Ra?

Right now the theme is 'Make the game as confusing as possible'. I like Master Decoy though.

I thought it was just that I could only generate white mana? So I can't cheat in cheatyface?

I don't get it

You get to cast Balance FOR FREE

Use Timmy:Power Gamer as your commander.

You actually can generate mana outside your colors but you cannot run cards with mana symbols that do not match your commander's. ( you can't run murder in Frankie peanuts for example ) also, I think chesty face was errata'd into you can only cheat him onto the battlefield from your hand.

That was part of his plan. He was hoping he'd get killed early, so he could earn the sympathy card from the rest of the group. Playing the victim of course.

How do you even play with these people?

My biggest pet-peeve is easily-swayed casuals with no sense of threat/card-evaluation who only build goodstuff decks cribbed from EDHREC.

Just about every game with my group turns into a 1v1 between me and the only other competent player, where a big deciding factor is who can convince the rest of the table to turn against who.

My Tariel deck, which should be pretty low-tier, does quite well in this meta since it rarely establishes a threatening board presence. I can sit back and tell them to throw their goodstuff at Damia / Sidisi / Maelstrom Wanderer while I tutor up Cabal Coffers, Urborg, and Debt to the Debtless for the Nth time.. They never learn.

So the Suspend doesn't trigger?

How is that different than just using Balance?

Balance is banned, for one.

Also, Suspend is an ability, not a cost.

Balance is banned, friend

It's pretty amazing that in order to defend a crap commander you list 20+ awful cards, 5 good cards and multiple several card tutor chains and call me an idiot.

What do other decks in your meta look like? Thelon fungus tribal? 5-color Charm.dec? How bad do you even have to be to consider Eerie Interlude or Ghostway?

super spicy zada tech coming though

I know I can only cheat him in from the hand.

So I can't put in any cards with non-white mana symbols on them?

Eg- a card that costs white mana to cast, but has a triggered ability on it that costs red- could that be played?

Balance is banned in EDH. Restore Balance is not, and the CMC is 0 so you can cast it for free

>So the Suspend doesn't trigger?
Don't mix actual MTG terminology with random meanings in sentences retard.

Correct. An exception is something like Eldrazi Displacer. It has a colorless mana cymbol, but colorless isn't a color.

How does that work with Zada?

Should I spend $60 to finish up my Skythirix deck, /edhg/?

The first effect doesn't really synergize at all, but I could see how sacing all your buffed tokens to it could be a flashy play.

Doesn't work.

1st abilty just untaps and gives haste to all your creatures.
2nd has no zada interaction.
Entwining them doesn't work because it has 2 targets.

So like a seven mana situationally worse Burn At the Stake?

He entwines it so it targets.

Build one of these
Bonus points for making a vororsh counters matter/ power matters deck

Hidden commander jarad
Momentous fall effects + psychosis crawler
*/* Creatures
Get some hermit druid action going and reanimate fatties and keep your grave yard matters creatures even fatter.

The second effect doesn't target a creature, so it doesn't work.

Kazuul, Tyrant of the Cliffs might be good. He's an ogre I think so I don't know if that's what you're going for or not

>Entwining them doesn't work because it has 2 targets.
Veeky Forums being bad at Magic

>TARGETING ZADA AND ONLY ZADA
Eaither a worse act of treason, or you get to sac only one token.

You don't target until resolution for the second ability.

Sore losers and bad winners.

Does anyone play on xmage?

>"If you choose the “sacrifice a creature” mode, you choose the target of the damage on announcement, but don’t choose what to sacrifice until resolution. You must sacrifice a creature when Grab the Reins resolves, even if you don’t want to. If you don’t control any creatures at that time, Grab the Reins deals no damage."
I know my waifu, faggot. You pick all targets at once.

I do

Currently getting my ass kicked by an Animar deck

>decide to play 1v1 commander with my friend
>I have a fully multiplayer tuned deck
>his is just 'graveyard shenanigans.dec'
>I play something
>it gets removed
>I drop a land
>it gets destroyed
>I do anything
>it gets fucked

Remind me to never play 1v1 commander again

Which server do you connect to?

I switch between the .de one and woogerworks

Woogerworks is busier but the .de people are friendlier

versatility

haste for sooner swings, fling for spot removal, or INSTANT speed burn at the stake game ender that can split the damage among players. you dont need to sac until the spell plays out too.

if you buff them, they will die.

The second mode can't be used on all your tokens at once because it targets.
If you target zada with it, it targets all your creatures they're all sacked for nothing.

If you entwine it, it targets for both abilities, meaning two targets, and that doesn't work with zada.

It's the same reason fling doesn't work.

But as a more versatile act of treason it works I guess.

Have the ability target Zada, with Grip of Chaos out.

I'm not rich enough to play more than two colors, and not smart enough to know when to hold onto mana and just play nothing, but I want to try (the second part) anyway. What do I play to ease into this mindset?