Hey Veeky Forums, /v/ here. Let's talk online card games. Digital card games general

I've been going through a CCG/TCG card binge and I stumbled upon several online card games and several digital versions of paper card games.

What are you guys opinions on the several card games released solely for PC/Mobile/etc?

Any one of these TCGs you actually like?

I played a bit of everything: SolForge, Infinity Wars, HEX, Duelyst, etc.

What do you guys think of the digital versions of the TCGs you guys play, like Magic Duels and the YGO online thing?

Duelyst is pretty much the kind of card games right now. Literally better than both ends of the scale: Hearthstone and MtG respectively.

I wouldn't say straight up better, but certainly unique and interesting enough to stand-out from all the others.

It certainly occupies its very own niche, which is more than other CCG/TCG games can say.

Hearthstone is way too casual to appeal to anyone who wants something more than braindead entertainment, and MtG has utterly shite pace and is way too caught up in superficial shit that shouldn't be related to the game itself.
Don't get me wrong, both games attract their own audiences and successful in their own right, but the niche of a "fast-paced - but not casual - game that does something new" was unoccupied for way too long.

This, whenever I hear people claiming Heartstone is deep I can't help but chuckle inside at how much they'd be blown away by Duelyst.
Hell, even Pokemon blows that shit away, last standard season felt like you were playing Vintage Magic.

Shadowverse is Hearthstone done right, worth a try if you can get past the artstyle. I know Hearthstone sets a low bar but the difference in quality is amazing.

My problems with games like Duelyst and Eternal is that they're competent but I don't want to invest time into each game. Hearthstone's shit but I ended up playing a bit of it just because it was so easy to fill in a round or pick up on my phone, and Shadowverse might be better in that regard.

I've settled down on Eternal. I don't like tactical movement in my card games, which is why I haven't even touched Duelyst.

>tfw hearthstone could have been a great game but the devs are too up their own ass to ever realize its potential

I wanted it to be good in the worst way but Blizzard is just obsessed with RNG and bad mechanics.

I tried Duelyst but I absolutely cannot stand the art style.

Shadowverse is alright.

If you gotta play Magic, do it on Cockatrice, Magic Online is still shit.

YGO is irredeemable.

> MtG has utterly shite pace and is way too caught up in superficial shit that shouldn't be related to the game itself.
That's more the result of not being meant to be digitalized to begin with. You remember or ignore triggers irl, in a digital environment the program has to check for you. A system that literally simulates tabletop like Cockatrice or Tabletop Simulator is the best way to do it, but it cannot be used for serious online gameplay because through letting you do everything manually, it also has to let you cheat.

Card Hunter is enjoyable.

Nah, sorry, mate, but that's an innate flaw of MtG in general. Despite my immense dislike for Hearthstone, it did one thing right - pacing. The games are short and fast, and you don't have to waste your time micromanaging shit that shouldn't be there in the first place.
The "casualness" of a game is determined by its luck reliance and lack of meaningful tactical options, which is why I hate Hearthstone. But MtG isn't much better - while it does provide you with meaningful tactical options, it also practically drowns you with meaningless shit and deliberate trap options that shouldn't be there in the first place.

I got thoroughly fed up on Hearthstone and the new rotation of standard is probably killing it.
Shadowverse feels good but I get the impression that the speed at which you get boosters by just playing is kind of slow. You get a massive chunk when starting the game but after that it feels that being f2p will hamper yourself much more than in Hearthstone.
Someone confirm or correct me on this? I've only barely touched the game.

MMDoC was awesome. Game had incredible potential despite its shortcomings.

You get 3 quests daily in shadowverse, ontop of the freebies, so it is a little better as a f2p, as long as you dont want a complete collection where 3 of all the non key legendaries will take you a while to aquire

Krosmaga

Hex had caught my attention as the mtg replacement of choice. Beautiful client and artstyle, decent wait times and some okay-ish lore. The single player mode is entertaining for a while too. I thought it was a cheap rip off at first,but I ended up happy I gave it a second try half a year later

Year ago it would be duelyst. It became shit quite quickly because devs had zero idea what the fuck are they doing

Krosmaga

It's like Hearthstone meets Tower Defense, but set in a French multimedia Fantasy setting.

Also Waifus

>Any one of these TCGs you actually like?

>Nothing else will ever be this good tier
Paper Magic

>Good tier
Eternal

>Okay Tier
PTCGO
Shadowverse

>Tragically single player only
Forge

>I can't read the tiny fucking text on the cards tier
Hex

>So bad it's good tier