Tabletop feels

Any of you guys use tabletop games to escape reality?

I have scoliosis and will have to get spinal fusion surgery. Trying to ignore the fact that I'll have metal rods holding my spine together for the rest of my life by RP'ing and wargaming.

[s] it isn't working much [/s]

Not escapist on a conscious level, that's just with video games for me. Sorry to hear about that though man, not that it's worth much but I hope for the best for you. Make sure to stay close to your play groups if you have them, and reach out and get some if you don't.

Why is that a bad thing you'll be a cyborg chummer

Spinal fusion will limit spinal movement somewhat. Dunno how much OP needs done though, may be mild, may be severe.

>Trying to ignore the fact that I'll have metal rods holding my spine together for the rest of my life
That's nothing to worry about unless you were heavy into gymnastics,
Now, Failed Back Surgery Syndrome?
*THAT* is something to worry about.
They tell you the surgery might help, or it might not.
They don't always tell you it might make it worse.
So....

Yes, I use tabletop games to escape reality.
I use Veeky Forums to escape the reality that I don't have a game.
Have a baby hedgehog.

Nah I just use it as a form of entertainment. I like reality.

I only use it to embrace supernatural thinking, because reality can be mice but is very orderly and boring.

Basically, just want to be a Wizard.

>reality can be mice but is very orderly and boring.

Go away frogposter,

Chaos leads the faithless down a dark path

Yeah i use relig... ehm ... tg and stuff to escape reality, but bitch keep chasing me.

In a way, I actually use it to be more in touch with reality. I'm an asocial person IRL, but chatting up buddies over Skype/Discord while doing imaginary stupid shit in roll20 has given me the elusive "social life", even if it's an unusual one. Hey, it works!

>fact that I'll have metal rods holding my spine together for the rest of my life
That sounds pretty metal

videogames and tabletops make me capable of forgetting what a drab, meaningless, pointless, and utterly futile waste of time existence is, so yeah. It also lets me pretend I'm actually something (brave, smart, important) I'm not.

I don't really need to do it, I guess, I'd just go back to reading books otherwise.

>Any of you guys use tabletop games to escape reality?
for sure
I work 40 hour weeks and go to school at night on top of it
I broke up with fiance and I ruined my legs and now can't excersise (that was my old outlet) I can feel my life slipping away as I gain weight, feel less connected with the world and at the same time become more dependent on my alone time to get me though my mind breaking schedule.

heres to hoping this is temporary.

Liam?

I know it's not much, but I want you to know that I'll be praying for you user.

Is/was more to stay with friends and have fun.
DMing was a way to explore ancient religions, myths, weapons and such. It was useful socially IRL, later (I studied sciences but I often dated in humanities).
Now is a way to stay in touch with old friends.

I hope all goes well for you, OP. A sincere hug.

I never realized it until recently, but yes OP, i do use it to escape reality. I don't think it's tabletop games specifically though. Perhaps it's the social element and being around friends. Or perhaps it's immersing myself in a fantasy world that makes me forget about real life.

I use them to see what it would be like if I actually believed in something. If there was some shining goal that I firmly believed in and worked towards, a thing that gave me meaning. It doesn't matter if I fail and die - dying in service of that goal would be a blessing rather than a curse. It could be a healer cleric, a soldier, a spy - that is inconsequential. He always has that goal he never lets escape his sight, like a true servant to his cause. I like pretending.

I moved away from vidya to ttrpgs and wargaming and tried having it as my primary hobby for a while now. It just made me realize how lonely I am. Building and painting models and reading up on lore and game systems is all nice and good, but it feels very pointless when I'll never get to play or even have much of a conversation about them with anyone. I don't have any friends or family really.

Don't really want to play online, might aswell be playing vidya at that point. Now I'm feeling lost and bored cos I can't derive any pleasure from this awesome hobby. I'm envious of those of you with regular gaming groups and stuff.

Also it feels really bad to pack away my hobby stuff. Makes me hate myself for having so much optimism when getting into the hobby.

Virtually every hobby, or heck, every activity, is a way of escaping from reality. Reality is a very harsh place to live.

>tfw always wanted to be a soldier since I was a kid
>tried to kill myself 3 times before my 21st birthday
>army and navy disqualifies people just for taking adderall for ADHD
>play gruff military men and soldiers in tabletop

Feels fucking bad man. I would have made a great Soldier

Failed back is only an issue after you are much older. Ive had a fusion done its not as bad as you might think, especially now with more modern technology.

My tip from experience get into walking and light fitness as much as you are able, anything will be better than nothing when fighting muscle atrophy and helping to manage pain.

Last time I heard the guys at the middle east are hiring and don't discriminate about food supplements.

Hah.

it's sub alphaware

Kind of. I tend to be a very friendly and sociable person in real life. Veeky Forums stuff gives me the opportunity to see what it would be like if I had been an asshole and only thought of myself

I always hate it and end up becoming a good guy again after a session or two.

Veeky Forums hobbies give me a good excuse to interact with others in a setting where I feel comfortable, so I'm not alone all the time.

It's also interesting and entertaining, and allows me to do interesting things. My life isn't bad, it's just a little boring, and I can't see it ever getting better than it is (though hopefully not worse).

I'm pretty much the same way senpai. A great way to enjoy what friends I have

Veeky Forums is my reality, faggot. Get on my level.

Seriously, though, ever since I was a kid, I've been obsessed with how much better fiction is than reality.

Online tabletop isn't all bad actually. If you want to focus on the Roleplay and the game specifically, online gaming tends to have a way of mitigating the interpersonal distractions one has when they're at the gaming table.

Of course if you're gaming as an excuse to hang out and goof off with friends, then yes you need to do that in person.

So what do you see with tabletop that's different than with vidya?

I mostly do it because I'm bored as shit. My whole life my dad taught me that paying bills and surviving was all that mattered, but it turns out that's really easy with a CS degree in the city. I'm coasting through life and RP actual challenging adventures and scenarios instead.

I also make characters from big, loving families to pretend what that would be like.

It's a part of it, yeah.
Crippling depression is fan tastic. I really love life you guys, not like i want to die even though I'm medicated.

Sens help

>but it turns out that's really easy with a CS degree in the city.
Fuck, it sure doesn't seem like it.

>spoiler
My DM introduced my PC's estranged/unknown mother/grandmother from my backstory and god it's the greatest set of mixed up feels.

What's wrong with your legs, user?

Are you me? Or at least partially. My parents have the exact same mentality. So yes I always make PCs with loving families. Sometimes with those families lost but to be rediscovered in case the GM wants to let the character's find them again. Most recent one is a air bender adopted into a group of fire gypsies just found their air nomad parents again.

>players are too busy being responsible adults to play
>you're still unemployed living with your family
>it's been a 3 months since last session

>players are all in careers or grad school
>just finished my undergrad and working part time job while I search for a career position
>3 out of 6 of my players are married
>2 of whom are my own older siblings
>want to invest more into DMing but already feel like they judge me for not having more going on in my life
It's an abstract feel

>I mostly do it because I'm bored as shit. My whole life my dad taught me that paying bills and surviving was all that mattered, but it turns out that's really easy with a CS degree in the city
I know this feel bro. Another degree but same shit, finished uni, found a good job, and now I have way too much money and free time in my hands

The hobby aspect added with the social side of things is whats different from vidya for me. It's a nice feeling playing a game with a force of minis I spent hours and hours on. It truely feels like my guys. Add in some cool terrain you and your buddies have built and it feels like the culmination of all this effort you went through. Its rewarding.

I also like how tg-stuff engages the imagination way better than vidya, at least for me. And I love all the effort that goes into traditional games as opposed to just firing up a video game and getting told what to do.

But sadly tg is not for loners. So today I'll be packing away the last of my terrain and materials. I may keep a few minis handy so I can paint once in a while when the mood takes me but most of my stuff is going to the storage.

I had time to get my girlfriend pregnant and have a baby since my groups last game.

You can do it, Anona! Live, stay STRONK! Mother Russia will stand with you!

I will never be a beautiful elven man in real life.

Just an oddly shaped little girl neckbeard with charisma as a dumpstat.

RP has vastly improved my enjoyment of life and future prospects.

I wanted to use it as a tool for improving myself, but it turns out that on top of poor social skills I also have poor fantasy/capacity for abstraction. I'm fucked.

I'm sorry to hear that man. Have you gone to your LGS (Hopefully its friendly) and looked for people there?

By chance do you play D&D? I don't know much about mini wargaming and the like- that kind of stuff never appealed to me. I tried Magic, but in the long run I've got other vices I sink my money into.

i hope your recover as much as possible from your surgery user, seriously. i grant your +5 to your feel no pain rolls from wh40k; the dark gods approve it.

There isn't really an LGS culture in my country. The two shops that are close enough don't have any tables and people really don't hang out there except for some MTG events one of them hosts sometimes.
People just go in, buy their crap and gtfo.

I don't play D&D, I've got some books for 5E but not that interested in it. More into CoC -stuff when it comes to ttrpgs.

As for wargaming I've got books and/or armies/warbands for

>40k
>Kill-Team
>AoS
>KoW
>This Is Not A Test
>Malifaux
>Mordheim
>Konflikt 47

So I'm more of a skirmish wargame kinda guy...

Wow I didn't even know it went the other way. Sorry dude.

But yeah, roleplay lets me be the person I want to be, even if it's basically just me but braver and with something to actually believe in. Gotta be careful not to make it a self-insert though.

Different user here but seriously if you went to Syria or some shit to fight isis they'll welcome you with open arms

>escape reality
There is no escape. We are already dead.

I'm doing pretty well in my life, unless being lonely 22 year old virgin. So the most of my escapism is about not being alone. It's quite hard and uncomfortable to do in tabletop games, so I leave it to videogames.

Try not to feel so bad. I'm almost 28 and have been with numerous women that never filled that hole. Finding the "right one," or just "someone who's right for you" is difficult for many.
"Not being alone" isn't all it's cracked up to be. Being alone can be easier than being with someone who doesn't really value you.
Not sure what my point is, besides "it's okay, things will work out when they need to" but you'll get there.

I might be the odd one out in this thread but I'm actually pretty fine with my life for now.
Good prospects in sight, if eveything goes well I'll secure a trainee's position in a law firm in Singapore this summer, but I'll have a little thought about you user.

Surgery is kinda weird in my opinion, I was lucky enough to never need it, but my sister did, for a brain tumour.

I think she was scared shitless since so many thing could go wrong, and I don't know how you approach the issue, but I never even thought about it failing to be honest. Maybe it's a naive view of the world and it'll come crashing down at some point but I was lucky enough to live with certainties, I didn't even consider losing her for a minute, probably as a way to convince myself subconsciously.
So I'll do the same for you, you'll be fine user, I'm sure of it.

>I might be the odd one out in this thread but I'm actually pretty fine with my life for now.
I am too, it's just that finding a good job with a good diploma doesn't bring happiness automatically.
>Good prospects in sight, if eveything goes well I'll secure a trainee's position in a law firm in Singapore this summer, but I'll have a little thought about you user.
Careful with that, people in Singapore are pretty shitty with a crab basket mentality. A former classmate of mine resigned from a phd mid-thesis because of that.

Oh I know don't worry, it's just that with my marks I don't have a great chance of landing a job in the City or in France, so I end up grabbing every opportunity that I can.

Ideally I would find a place in Switzerland, as it's really where I'd like to live, but if I can secure a job before even getting out of uni and a proper one at that, in a growing fiscal paradise, I'll go for it.
I don't en like Asia, Asians or the climate to be honest but it's either that or very slim prospects at all.
Having grown up with successful parents, you kinda have to succeed everywhere as well. At least I know for a fact that I want to be a lawyer, it's not like I'm jumping into the unknown.

Plus GW has finally reopened a store in Singapore, so there's that.

Sex is overrated.

I live not far from Switzerland and it's really not really a lively country. Expensive, comfy, but really, really boring.

Different strokes for different folks.

Oh I know, we have a holiday house there, but it's kinda what I'm lookin for.

Being a nice formated product of the upper class I just want to get a good paying job, settle down and give the same chances to my children I was given by my parents. Not really adventurous, but since I'm from France, in ly eyes Switzerland is just plain better in every way with no downsides, as long as you're a rich fuck.

>upper class
>France
>university
Heh

Went to the UK for uni actually, since it's more recognised worldwide.

Good on you my friend, went for a Grande École myself.

Ayooo, which one? It's actually interesting comparing the two different systems of upper education.
I must admit I find pros and cons for both, so it was more of a strategic choice to the UK, and I knew what I wanted to do so that helped.

Really glad both countries are versed in Veeky Forums stuff.

INSA Lyon and Centrale Lyon. Ended up finding a job I love right after graduating my double masters.

Damn, well done man. Good for you, Centrale is pretty fucking good to start with.

I lost my virginity at 21, and after we broke up I fucked a lot of women. Now I've given it up until I find someone worth it again. Sex is overrated.

Well all things considered I'm doing exactly what I dreamt about when I was 12yo.

Actually curious because I'm in a similar boat.
How bad would the language barrier be?

I don't want a great job. I don't want to be the best looking dude in a room. I don't want the biggest, fastest car among my friends. I don't want a big house. And I don't want a lot of stress.

Is that too much to ask? I just want a mid wage that allows me to continue eating what I eat, renting a small apartment and playing videogames and tabletop games with some cool dudes.

Do I want too much?

Sounds like the only regret OP has is boneitis.

Nope. But do you give yourself the means to achieve that?

Yeah, I do. I just don't really like being me, it's better being someone else. Anyone else.

It gets easier OP. One day at a time

Just remember to fight for the Kurds user. They have the moral high ground and are much better fighters than most of their enemies. Remember as Joanna Palani said "ISIS fighters are very easy to kill." If some random Danish woman can kill them, so can you.

I've been in this one online RP group for few years now.
It has had some drastic changes in the last year, (2 people left, 3 came in) and I no longer feel like I truly enjoy it.
What keeps me from going away however, is the feeling that I am somehow responsible for the well being of the people in that group.
Two of them have been to an institution, and if I stop supporting them I fear they might kill themselves or something. Even though it isn't, it would feel like their suffering is because of me.
It's basically emotional blackmailing where the blackmailer doesn't even realize they are doing it. Blackmailing where the blackmailer doesn't even realize that the thing they hold hostage is even blackmailable.

So instead of having a good time on the weekends, I feel like I'm constantly looking after them: Trying to calm down the one with anger issues. Trying to engage the player who never says anything unless it's his turn in combat.
Trying to tip toe around the one with PTSD. Trying to find out if one is silent because he has nothing to say or if he is bottled up.

One moment I feel like I should jump ship, the another I remember the good times we have. These people are my friends and I don't want to be a person who abandons friends.
Fuck. While writing this I realize I'm basically in RP group version of an abusive relationship and I ain't even the GM. God fucking damn it.

Don't set yourself on fire to keep others warm user. I had a great friend for years, and I realized that we never "hung out," I just spent all our time together moderating his endless issues, his endless negativity, and his endless complaints. There was never a solution, and he didn't want a solution, he just wanted me to wallow in misery with him.

If these folks are bad for you, cut them loose. It will hurt, and then eventually, it won't.

I'm a dad who lives in a remote area with no gaming scene. I live my hobby life completely through the internet. When I see young dudes who go to a local club with lots of players every week I am filled with envy and regret.

Thanks Mr. Mujahid.

Yeah, kurds aren't quite as welcoming and foreigner positive as you seem to think. Just because they're aren't ISIS doesn't mean they're progressives. They're plenty xenophobic, prejudiced and fundamentalist.

Why are you worrying so much about other people? If someone wants to be quiet them let them be quiet. So what if someone gets angry, it's not your responsibility to baby them.

You're making a rod for your own back.

There's something to be said for gaming vicariously online. Especially in text-based games. You don't get to sit around a table and banter with real life people, but you also avoid a lot of the real life issues.

>GM over IRC
>Get comfy by myself at home
>Eat an entire pizza + 2 liter with no one to judge
>Play whatever music I want
>Immersion never broken by IRL stuff

>GM at the LGS
>Minimum 50% neckbeard density
>The guy who smells like onion demands to roll seduce
>End up carpooling two dudes who don't have their licenses at 20-22
>Hours restricted by the store

I do play Warhammer at the LGS, and occasionally drop in to pick up orders. Every time I've seen a group there it looks like the stuff that Veeky Forums greentexts are made of.

>You're making a rod for your own back.
I know this is coming from my own head. That was kinda the point.

As to why I worry, not worrying feels like a dick move, even though it's the logical thing to do. Not worrying feels like not caring.

>have mental problems (nothing major, but noticeable. Am a That Guy kinda guy and have a tendency to make people uncomfortable)
>would love to get into PnP but past experiences have made me realize that my presence has a negative impact on the social athmosphere and don't want to be that kind of person
>daydream about taking part in a PnP group, having adventures, rping and having a good time
>realize the absurdity in fantazising about fantazising

I find it annoying when people tip toe around me and excessively pander to me, it's condescending. If they're anything like me you might be annoying them more than anything.

Out of interest, are you a woman?

What sort of things do you do to make people feel uncomfortable?

Disabled bro here too op. Sadly my condition has got so bad I can't really do tabletop gaming any more since I'm exclusively a wargamer.

I do enjoy painting models though, I find they help me feel constructive without forcing my body too hard.

That's true for many of us. We hold different standards and they clash with people around us. Especially now Veeky Forums shit is being invaded by the SJW types who get triggered over sexy women.

>had a friend who used to DM for me and a few other friends
>he got into a car crash and had to lose a leg
>has to take medicine every day for the pain
>became very depressed
>stopped dmming for us
>we still hung out with him but it wasn't the same
>he went to a therapist
>seemed to be doing alright
>he wanted to dm again
>made a huge ambitious campaign
>had a really good first session
>he shot himself in the head that night
>left a note that he just wanted to go on a high note and left us all his gaming stuff

>tfw too depressed to ever really play the game anymore

>tfw all ive been doing on this shitty fucking website is reading thatguy threads or shitposting for the last two years because I haven't gotten over it

I'm a dude thank you very much. Funny that you so quickly go for the gender as the explaining factor.

I tip toe around that one PTSD person because he goes super upset if anything reminding him of the incident is said and he has explicitly asked us to avoid his triggers.
As with others, the results speak for themselves. If one guy gets angry, he rage quits. If another gets angry, he starts to bitch and moan. In both of those situations, they shit the bed and the whole night (and sometimes week) is soured.

Their wellbeing has some intrinsic value, but more than that it's crucial for upkeeping the wellbeing of others, myself included. What I may have accidentally showed as altruistic behaviour is actually quite selfish.

This.

Some people simply want to wallow in their own misery with self-improvement being taboo. It's a crabs in a bucket mentality where they'll constantly drag you down to their level and won't let go. Don't fall for it and get out if you have.

Hard to explain. I've mostly been alone all my life (only child, spent most of my time in my room playing with toys), never got bullied but never had a friend either. I've had people in my life that I began to make an acquaintance with but which bore no fruit due to my inability to.. Well, that's the thing; I don't know exactly what is lacking in me in regards to social progress, but I guess it must be some subconscious trait we learn at an early age through social interaction, something I never learned.
Eh, fuck. I know most of my problems just stem from insecurity and a warped sense of self,things that are not unchangeable. I do believe that I can become better at being social, but... Ive babbled enough

I'm quite asocial and I often find I make people uncomfortable. I'm alright with women, but I don't know how much of that is them overlooking my lack of charm because of my looks. Actually, I sometimes get along with older people as well. But generally speaking people behave towards me as if I'm being a complete prick or really strange.

I think being asocial makes it easy to fall into the trap of being aloof or at least appearing aloof. That's what I suspect one of my problems is and you might be the same. I find relationship to be intrusive and maintaining a distance seems courteous. But for others being polite and nice means taking an interest and being engaged. I guess it's important to understand that everyone has different needs.

That's pretty heavy, user.

>everyone has different needs.
I suppose we do. Besides food and shelter comes sociality close in importance and in many forms.

You'll still be able to play wargames, videogames and RP while having some metal in your spine, so it's not that bad.

>RP with good friend
>One on one because I can't into group dm'ing
>Usually use the World of Darkness system
>My interest in this stuff started years back
>Usually lost a friend from the stress of this stuff
>Usually after a year
>Current friend has lasted two plus
>The quality is great
>The pace is awful
>He's not the most imaginative
I have fun but at times I can't help but wonder why I even do this.
I'm also a fucking idiot who no matter how much my Worldbuild gets praised I still feel like its shit and my friends just don't have high enough standards

Well, for a wide generalization Maslow's Hierarchy is actually pretty accurate.

Why is Sucy so best?

>Be me
>Life is good but boring, few friends but good ones
>Want to do some tabletop, but there probably isn't a group anywhere in 200 km
>Friends aren't interested
>Don't know any good sites for RPing
Wat do, lads?

roll20

Nothing wrong with that, still I wish I could help you. Just remember to take your stuff out of storage when the time comes. Storage is an oft forgotten about lucrative business in the long run.

My online community is small, and while we've been around for 5+ years, I'm not sure any of us actually met IRL.

Where are you from? What kinds of tabletop appeal to you?

Yurofag here, we don't really have a tabletop community in my country.
RPing could be fun, since you need to know how to act and socialise.