/srg/ Shadowrun General

Take chances.
Get messy.
Make mistakes.
And never, ever cut a deal with a dragon.

>Pastebin: pastebin.com/SsWTY7qr
>Chummer 5: get.chummer.net
>Issue tracker: issues.chummer.net
>Last thread:

Topic:
What is your favourite lifestyle, and why doesn't it have an indoor arboretum?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=1UzoyIwC3Lg
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

Would you port the elemental effects from 4 to 5 like they are or would you change some things?

Wanting to make a hacker, decker or techno. What could be some interesting character hooks I could work off of? No, suits and professionalism aren't interesting to me.

Failing that I'd want to try recreate Biker, is there any possible way of making meat cleavers (especially throwing said cleavers) viable?

>forgot half the OP
Geez, at least you remembered the important half.

>What is your favourite lifestyle, and why doesn't it have an indoor arboretum?
In theory, Luxury, and that one actually has an indoor arboretum and a garden as well because I miss fresh fruit and growing plants would remind me of my childhood. In practice, Low, because I can get away with booby-trapping the door with a pair of hi-explosive grenades.

>Wanting to make a hacker, decker or techno. What could be some interesting character hooks I could work off of?
Cybercowboy. A native of Texas, Billy Butch was one of the brightest rising stars Lone Star had; the young decker could've gone on to be a legend of law enforcement if he hadn't been laid off in a budget cut that forced him to turn to the shadows. He wears a cowboy hat at all times, packs a Super Warhawk as his meatspace weapon, you get the picture.

>What is your favourite lifestyle, and why doesn't it have an indoor arboretum?
I prefer to buy a permanent Medium lifestyle as soon as I can afford it. Good enough to live comfortably, but not so highbrow as to attract attention.
I'll usually pay monthly for a low or two for safe houses, though.

Hm, that might be something to explore, thanks. Only hitch is that I did have an old character who used a Ruger Warhawk heavily.

Does it bug anyone else that Ramming Plates don't reduce damage taken from head-on collisions of any sort? Would it be unbalanced if a GM ruled that they do reduce damage from head-on collisions?

I'm having trouble understanding matrix perception and running silent.
First I need to make a matrix perception check to see if there are actually devices running silent with 100m. At this point, do I see every icon that failed its test, or do I need to use net hits to see if objects I'm aware of are icons, hoping I pick the right ones, or just hoping I have enough hits to identify them all?
Once I see an icon, do I pretty much know what that icon is unless they are using wrapper? (I assume if I know what it is, I don't know who is using it, for instance if its 3 guys with a gun each)

Thank you Dragonfall, for transfering the Matrix in such a way that is 'functional' but still making me hate it with such intent I would rather be playing an AI on 5e.

It has frozen THREE TIMES in the APEX mission already.

You can probably port Light and Metal as is, is there any others I'm forgetting from 4e that we don't have in 5e?

Daily reminder that the Matrix rules have been shit in every edition and will continue to be shit for as long as Shadowrun is a thing.

I bet you fucking love Tasers now

What is the best role for a loli in shadowrun? Decker/techno would be too easy, so maybe infiltrator?

Yes. Not even kidding.

>not going full Nanoha

That mission is just game-breakingly fucked. I wish the devs patched it

I don't like Nanoha

I just like the concept of hitting your foes so hard they become your pals.
Try infiltrator with bioware then.

Physical adept loli with 1ESS worth of bioware for maximum cheese? You could even throw prototype metahuman on that for extra snowflake.

Also, human(5) with Lucky quality.

Why not elf? You stay a loli for longer.

Neoteny

That goes without saying. But your lifespan is longer as an elf, so you stay a loli for longer.

Extra lucky magical loli does sound pretty good though. Ah, decisions!

I'm running 2050s in 5e

What should I do to use pre-crash 2.0 matrix with 5e rules? Ignore VR rules, follow the other stuff, and fluff the rest?

Check out the 2050s book for 4e.

Alright, I'll do that.
The 5e 2050 book is never gonna get an english version, is it.

I didn't know there was one.

It's in the mega link, but it's in german.

There are rules for 2050s for 5e. Forgot in what book though.

So, what kind of dicepool for shooting might one expect from members of a middle-class gun enthusiast club, not counting ones that were already cops or corpsec to begin with? How impressed would they be with a professional who has a dicepool of 12?

so uh
my entire party is deckers
even if they do something else, they all have a cyberdeck
even the mage

i have 5 deckers

what do

This is a once in a lifetime opportunity to do runs into the Deep Matrix that don't leave anyone behind. Take it.

a little bit.

let's break down what happens when you get into a wreck IRL then compare that to the game!

IRL
>truck hitting a bus waiting hut

>the frame
first, the bull bars are mounted to the frame, if the frame doesn't hold, then the bars are coming off.
> the engine
engines don't like shit slamming into them
>the transmission
They also don't like it when the fly wheel is slammed into them.
>the drive shaft
they tend to snap when bent
>the rear end
those little clutches and plates tend to fuck up from jack asses trying out burnouts.
>radiator
they get fucked up, engine over heats then eventually dies...after like an hour of further jackassery.

>TL;DR shit happens in car wrecks that car's don't like even when it seems fine after said wreck.

>game

>dice roll and shit is implied but never quite explained.

>don't crash ur car, they like you and try to keep you safe.

True, but I was thinking a little less "bus waiting hut" and a little more "other vehicles, chain link fences, metahumans and critters". And of course, bullbars exist for the explicit purpose of protecting your vehicle in the event of a critter collision.

How my group runs it: An icon running silent is undetectable unless its "Remain Silent" threshold is beaten by whatever's matrix PER. The GM does not roll defensive matrix PER until the X has reason to believe there are hidden icons.

So, for example
Running silently, you successfully Hack on The Fly a Host. You now have a Mark and can enter the Host. Since you were successful, the Host has no reason to believe it has been infiltrated. Now, you make a matrix PER and see what's inside the Host. There's X amount of files in the Archive for you to get to, but to avoid having to do a Deep Run, the file you want is conveniently in the Active Memory. Now you need a Mark on it, remaining hidden. So you Hack on The Fly the file to get a mark on it. Successfully. Still not running Matrix PER from the Host, because it thinks you're a legitimate user.

Now you edit the file to grab your data, and somehow you fail it. Huh, that's weird. The Host begins running matrix PER every combat turn and he beats your threshold his first opportunity. Now it sees you as an illegitimate user and launches IC. If you're a TM, you whip out your Fault Sprite (although why you weren't using Crack to hack the thing I honestly don't know shhh) if you're a Decker you deploy a small army of Agents in return. You Edit File again to get your data and are successful this time. Now hopefully the Host was to busy fighting your Agents to get a Mark on you and you can exit the Host as a free and get off the fucking Matrix.

There's also force

Blast
Sound
Smoke
A not-shit version of ice/cold

>small army of Agents
Can you run more than 1 at a time?

Agents are Programs, right? You can run up to your Rating in Programs at a time. That's why Deckers are referred to matrix tanks, iirc. It's been a while since I ran a decker, however, and I'm not 100% on that rule - seems logical, though, if a host deploys 1 IC/turn and a techno can just as a free action start shitting out up to his CHA in registered sprites.

I assumed it applied to agents, but I wasn't sure

If I don't forget, I'll tweak them for use in 5e, with a supplemental custom_spells.xml file for you chummers.

Should I be fine playing a decker with no programs from data trails? Never played a decker before so I want to keep it simple, and we have new players so I assume the DM won't be going too hard on us. Is there anything in there that is 'take this or you are going to be a shitty decker'?

Fucking N I C E man.

Here, have this: youtube.com/watch?v=1UzoyIwC3Lg

Hey /srg/, I'm trying to more flesh out a character for my GM's enjoyment of the RP. How have you given your characters more spark than just mechanics? Looking for technos for this one but figure it's a good question.

>Arguing with your commlink
>ARO persona works through a wheel of appropriate icons, spinning it around with mind until the correct one is in your hand when compiling sprites
>Wink at an icon when HOTF to get a mark on it

SR5 P246
"Each agent occupies one program slot on your deck."
Since you have to buy agents one-at-a-time, and given the wording of that, I assume you can run more than one. It's not like running two copies of your Hammer Program will give you +4 damage, because you're just running the same thing twice - but two Agents are independent programs that do markedly different things on command.

If your GM is comfortable with the Deep Run rules, go for it. Programs aren't that simple, though remember deckers are like the wizards in pathfinder - the more work you put into your magic spellbook (cyberdeck) the more omnipotent you will seem. Remember to write a matrix cheat sheet up for yourself. Controversial opinion: Technos are easier than Deckers to learn matrix rules with

Programs aren't that complex* agh
They're like temporary buffs you can throw up, and you have rating # of slots to fit buffs in. Hammer is very strong. Also Smoke and Mirrors + noise cancelling + Vectored Signal Booster.

But if the ramming plates and car frame hold then shouldn't all the important stuff in the engine bay be intact?

If you're in an indestructible box, and the box slams into something at roughly 500 miles an hour, do you stay intact as you smash against the inside of the box?

Hard mode: I'm a rigger, and I am the box.

If the spells say drain is "F - 3", does this mean that casting a force 3 or lower spell negates the drain?

Drain has a minimum of 2, before you resist, regardless of how much the reduction is. F-10000000000000000000000000 still gives you 2 Drain to resist.

motor mounts, alternator, battery, radiator, and even the engine can get really fucked up even if the frame is fine.

the engine is a series of moving parts that weigh around 250 to 600 pounds. hell, vibrations can throw an engine off massively. Anything that can go wrong will go wrong with an an engine.

then you have the transmission, a box of spinning gears that go between 0 to 10,000 RPM while transferring however much power the engine can make to the drive shaft, then differentials, then the sub axels and then the wheels...

don't smash cars, even purpose built cars fuck up in all tasks.

Shock absorbers on the ramming plate and shock absorbers on the engine mounts. I can hack this.

Right, there's still going to damage because you're coming to a sudden stop. But the ramming plates are going to do a lot to prevent the box from caving in on you or heaven forbid something crashing through the box into you, which raises the question of how one would simulate that protection. If they don't hold, their protection is negligible. If they do hold, then they provide serious protection. Perhaps it's appropriate for ramming plates to negate the AP of a ram? 6 more armor dice is worth only 2 more hits on average, but it'll allow for more situations where the armor blocks the damage entirely.

I think there's a meme going on here that I'm unfamiliar with.

>do you stay intact as you smash against the inside of the box?
See, that assumes that the box stops or loses a lot of momentum. If the box keeps going and loses not that much momentum, there's a lot less potential for damage.

shhh Veeky Forums is in the house now

inertia is a thing you won't stop on all levels.

best a ram plate would do is to keep your bumper from getting blown apart at an under-20-mile-an-hour fender bender, or the deer from flying over your head into the windshield.

best advice i can give for realism in this shit. just put a fuck ton of guns on ur jackrabbit and don't hit shit head on.

hell, car's are built back wards when it comes to safety. you're much better off throwing your car in reverse and hitting shit that way than going head on.

so it's a base of two plus whatever it shows?

say, it's the same F-3 drain spell and i use it at force 3 it's only 2 drain instead of 5, but using it at force 5 it would be 4 drain to resist

am i getting this right?

Why can't I play demolition derby rigger as my main shadowrunner god damnit REEEE
There's no way to rob a bank like driving a monster truck into it

what
no
as long as your force is 5 or less you take only 2 drain
when above that you take (force of the spell - 3) in drain

No, user.

If you cast a F-6 spell at F10, it gives 4 Drain. 10-6.
If you cast it at F6, it gives 2 Drain. 6-6, but it bottoms out at 2.

ohhhhh i see now
so if I cast it at force 6, for example, the drain of the F-3 spell would be 5 because base 2 + 3, but if i cast it at force 5 it's just 2 drain

got it, thanks

>best a ram plate would do is to keep your bumper from getting blown apart at an under-20-mile-an-hour fender bender, or the deer from flying over your head into the windshield.
Yeah, that's kind of what I'm looking for here, situations where continuing to drive after the crash is viable.

>best advice i can give for realism in this shit. just put a fuck ton of guns on ur jackrabbit and don't hit shit head on.
Eh, sorry, no can do. A rigger doesn't put a ramming plate and 9 obvious armor on his Ares Roadmaster, call himself "Rundown" and NOT ram into shit. If it makes you feel any better, I can only get up to speed 5.

Light is in 5e, has been for 3 years. Does nobody read the books?

You're retarded and a nigger. Kill yourself.

6-8. Capable, but not exceptional, and easily foiled by actual combat conditions.

How impressed they are depends far more on the men involved than the numbers.

So, I have a couple of really basic questions, if you'll indulge me.

What's the general name for those guys who use drones in combat, is there any way to have them autonomously provide fire support or do you need to be "driving" them at all times, and generally speaking, is that sort of character more or less effective in direct combat than a cyberware'd up assault rifle guy?

chummer, are you purposefully dumb?
No, we are saying that the drain is F-3, except when it would be less than 2, then it's 2

pls no bully i realized my mistake after i posted it

>What's the general name for those guys who use drones in combat, is there any way to have them autonomously provide fire support or do you need to be "driving" them at all times, and generally speaking, is that sort of character more or less effective in direct combat than a cyberware'd up assault rifle guy?
Rigger are you for real?

you can, just don't expect the car to live very long after your demo derby. because IRL they don't tend to last the first round intact. They usually are super fucking rebuilt over and over and over again.

get a high body vehicle, say a van, then put a ram plate on it and spray paint "slam van" on the side, back and ram plate. they have more health. also obvious armor, as its cheaper and you'll be taking it off over and over again to fix what you fucked up in a breath takingly short time.

Rigger, then? Okay, I'll google the rest. Sorry for the dumb.

Actually, the Roadmaster has so much damn armor on it baseline that if you put as much obvious armor on it as you can, it's actually incapable of taking damage in any crash that isn't a head-on collision with another vehicle, even if you put in a bigger engine so that it has a maximum speed of 5.

well, put the ram plate on the ass end and hit shit while going in reverse.

i would like a more realistic vehicle damage chart. like "front left wheel is cambered to hell" or "the door is now fucking gone" or "ur on fire and you're not even turning the stereo down"

Which org.crime has hands in Seattle? I remember the Mafia in the richer sides and half the coast, I don't remember if the Yaks or Triads had the other half, and no idea what the rest did.

I just found out I have to cover for the GM, and I wanna touch on something he doesn't give a fuck.

Have them be out of towners that don't really know what they're doing, disrupting the delicate balance of power in Seattle's underworld. You're hired to mop them up before their bumbling causes a fucking war.

>well, put the ram plate on the ass end and hit shit while going in reverse.
Eh, I don't think the rules work like that. The advanced ramming rules in Rigger 5.0 don't care about which part of the car you're hitting or hitting with, just which direction the two vehicles are moving relative to each other.

>i would like a more realistic vehicle damage chart. like "front left wheel is cambered to hell" or "the door is now fucking gone" or "ur on fire and you're not even turning the stereo down"
Yeah, the abstractions we have now keep things quick and easy to play, but some of the nice detail is lost. At least we've got some good called shots for vehicles on pg 115 of Run&Gun.

Yeah, the Yaks and Triads have a substantial grip on Seattle. If you want something of minimal consequence, try the David Cartel (the one and only cartel of Aztlan) and/or the Ghost Cartels (which operated out of South America). While they don't control any substantial turf and really just ship in drugs for the other syndicates to sell, the David Cartel controls the novacoke supply while the Ghost Cartels bring in more.....exotic drugs, shall we say.

How exactly does DocWagon work? I only know about it from the Returns games, which means "cut to black after a run where one of your guys got downed and have them revived offscreen" so I have no idea how the contracts are handled in the actual game, how they are acquired, or how they actually act.

Where can I read about it more in-depth?

The 2050s Book has been ported to 5e in german. So, if you understand Kraut, check the "auf deutsch" folder in the pastebin.
There are also some rules in the Shadowrun Hongkong supplement.

Basically you take a contract that says "If you are seriously harmed we will come and save you"
pic related is from 4e

Bullets and Bandages.

You basically buy a contract and they bail you out, accoring to the levels of the contract, which usually means very little if its on exterritorial Areas.
Thing is, you don't need a SIN if you prepay it.

In older editions, DocWagon Contracts seemed to be a pretty good investment, but i have never seen anybody take a contract up since i started playing 5e.
Probably depends a bit on the way your GM plays and how common total party kills are.

Do you ever find yourself wondering whether your GM is soft on you or if you're actually playing smart enough to get through really hairy situations mostly undamaged?

not exactly, but I'm wondering if I'm actually challenging my players, and if they enjoy it

Wasn't there a quality somewhere about bonuses/penalties depending on if you had your face/identity covered?

What kind of guys are you pitting them against? So far all I've gone up against are syndicate thugs and beat cops who were not expecting to encounter shadowrunners that day. We haven't encountered any heavy hitters yet, which is why I'm wondering; when we go up against an HTR team or something, then I'll know for sure.

Faceless? Hard Targets page 191

1 rating 4 agent or 3 rating 3 agents?

play a character with the faceless quality like Rorschach when the cops peel his mask off.

What's the purpose for them?
Holding off IC until you can get your objective and GTFO? Three R3s.
Matrix Search spamming/helping with matrix PER? One R4.

What rating's your Deck, however?

>Like they know now that they don't know shit about modern warfare, because Sirrurg got put down like a bitch.

Nigger it took an entire army, a charged locus, a blood sacrifice and an artifact combined with special;ised anti-dragon weapons. And even then they had to smash a hoard to lure him out first so he came completely unsupported, and it took them hours to do the job.

And a carrier battle group. I forgot about them.

Deck rating is 3; it's a Renraku Tsurugi. The purpose was going to be both really. Was worried that if I have IC on me, only having one agent to help might be an issue.
I might also be able to go 1 rating 4 agent and 1 rating 3 if I move some funds around

Ask your GM how complex he plans to make your tasks. If you need like one file out of that host, you can be alright with one R4 and have a nice helper buddy for PER and etc rolls. If he wants you to do, like, get in there and murder the Spider and then overpower IC until you can get to the Foundation and do a deep run into the Archive, grab three.

Remember, though, that all but the strongest agents tend to be more vulnerable than a decker, and in addition, they can't change programs or ratings, and are like pilots.

Also they don't have their own condition monitors, so a few failed attack actions (or successful enemy attack) can spiral out of control.

Which book?
Not that ridiculous sunlight spell?

Gotta love how 5e ommitted that entire description.
Generally I direct people to 5e'a rules but 4e's fluff.

, It's funny, because the Germans just used jets and missiles on THEIR dead GD.

Question: how much cyberware and/or bioware does the average augmentation clinic have just lying around? Does it depend on whether it's a standard clinic, alpha clinic, beta clinic, etc? Asking for a friend who may or may not be robbing a clinic soon.

I'd actually imagine you go to the clinc and the clinc only has the orders on-hand from the factory. Most people wouldn't want them lying around, it's a giant "ROB ME" button.

How they'd work, I'd imagine, is you go there, order a new arm, in a week the arm is made and you go to get it installed at the clinc.

That is unless you're targeting an cyber/bioware harvester clinc, in which case, whatever they can steal off of poor schmoes.

Tbf, that was a newly awoken dragon who didn't have her shit together. Sirrurg is the Andre the Giant of dragons, huge and terrific at fighting.