Board Game General /bgg/

Board Game General - Epic Edition

Games under 2 hours need not apply

Previous thread:
Pastebin:
pastebin.com/NA2W929q

What's your favorite long (>2 hours) game?

What did you play last weekend?

Other urls found in this thread:

boardgamegeek.com/
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

>What's your favorite long (>2 hours) game?
StarCraft
Dominant Species
Through the Ages
>What did you play last weekend?
Nothing last weekend, but last week I played Through the Ages: A New Story of Civilization.

I like the game but I still have no idea what's the best strategy.

Second for seasons best game

Honestly, none. If a game lasts that long I will flat out never play it.
I have multiple games in my collection that last 90 minutes, but 2 hours is a bridge too far, and the vast majority of my many games are all in the realm of half an hour, which is comfy.
I can't fathom how a person could enjoy doing the same thing for that long.
Whenever I'm done with a short mission in Dead of Winter I feel like I have to immediately get up and run a marathon, it was so difficult to keep actually caring about the game all the way to the end.
This isn't because I only play gateways. I don't, I've got many large games.
But seriously.
How do you do it?
>What did you play last weekend?
Lots of Mint Works and Red7.
Red7 with my boyfriend - he loves the scoring mechanic and how it makes some wins much more dangerous than others, making you maybe want to fold a single turn in because your hand is bad and they're only winning with 6 points right now. Ingenious mechanic. The game didn't get enough love mostly because, I think, nobody plays it 2p with advanced rules and scoring. They just play it on a per-hand basis, and never get to see the poker-like folding strategy the game provides.
Played Mint Works Solitaire. I finally beat an AI, this one was Rachael, took, and I have a feeling she's meant to be easy. I really love this game, though. Perfect for travel, which is what we were doing this weekend. Just like Red7 is.

>still waiting for millennium blades to ship in UK

Sorry I post about this game so much

Please recommend some simple board games to play with a five-year-old.

Recommendation from the previous thread is saved and is under review. Thanks for those!

went to boardgame cafe last night, tried out Santorini.

it was OK. Think I might get it since it seems language indepedent enough to be able to play with my dad who doesn't speak English well, but the GF didn't seem to like it too much.

On the other hand she destroyed me in Jaipur and ended up liking it a lot so, guess I'll be looking to pick that up.

> Santorini
> paying $40 for a glorified tic-tac-toe
To each his own, I guess.

Like I said, I like playing games with my dad, so it has to be stuff a 64 year old non-english speaker would have an easy time with.

He loved Tsuro but it's starting to get old, so Santorini seems like it could be a good new game for us to play.

Good - glad you found the image that was posted. I don't have any more for you, so hopefully other user with small children will be able to offer suggestions. You might also check out the site:

boardgamegeek.com/

Depends on the child, of course. What kind of answer do you expect?

Honestly at that age theme trumps all. If they like paw patrol, paw patrol skinned candyland is going win out over any highly reviewed Haba game. Once they start tiring of the shallow licences games, then shift the over to something better.

Thanks!
I expected maybe a specific suggestion like other anons made. But oh well.
Understood.

Santorini is one of those games that everyone should find space for in their collection.

>this shit again
stop it.

So what's a good board game with a shitload of miniatures that's good to play solo? At the moment, I'm leaning towards Mansions of Madness or Zombicide.

Santorini. I hear the god cards and high production values make it a must have in any collection.

Come on man, we're better than this.

Super dungeon explore but its pretty trashy

To be honest, if your leanings when you think about games with miniatures is towards the ameritrash dross that was those two ideas, you'd be better off buying Santorini anyway.

I picked up a copy of Star Realms over the weekend, and it's pretty rad. How does it hold up in multiplayer, though? I'm not sure if I want to invest in another copy for group matches if it doesn't work well. Also should I get another base game, or add Colony Wars?

Anybody here try Clank yet?

>I expected maybe a specific suggestion like other anons made. But oh well.
I'd suggest chess, but maybe you're a pleb and you should get disney-themed snakes and ladders instead.

Oh, okay. Thanks for the info.

Gears of War - it's got good miniatures, a solid rules set, and plays from 1 - 4 players very well. It's OOP, but shouldn't be that hard to find.

>Fav >2 hr game
Never even attempted a board game that long, but would like to try. Plenty of D&D sessions that long. It would have to be a damn good and engaging board game.

>What did you pay last weekend
Last weekend had a D&D session. This weekend I played Love Letter in the park. So nice out! Also went to the diner today and played hive.

What shit? The fact that Santorini is a bad game and hated around here isn't some meme. The fact that you're shilling it all the time is more of a joke.

>kickstarter

Guys I want to play a 3D tic tac toe any reccomendations

>Favorite > 2 hour game
I'd have to say Afrika II or Paths of Glory. For a game that actually takes close to two hours though, Falling Sky

>What did you play last weekend
I worked my way through the Lee vs. Grant introductory scenarios and filled my character sheet for an upcoming DnD campaign.

That's the perfect age to start campaign for north africa to ensure you are able to finish it by the time they leave for college

Gomoku, but it's not 3D.

Santorini is a good game when priced at $6, paying forty bucks for it is crazy.

I'm serious, five is about the right age to start with chess. Any later and the kid will catch on to the fact that the best way to win is by brute force memorization.

Was hive fun? I've been thinking about getting it

You can play it pretty easily by just cutting some paper and marking the pieces accordingly.

Hive is pretty fun. It's perfect for taking places with the gf since it's 2-player, small, and indestructible. Definitely worth it since it's cheap and all. Can't think of any other game you can do that with, so it's a must-have in my book.

Fuck off get fucked no fuck you

You can buy used you know, it's something I recommend to most.

Has anyone tried pic related?

I've been having a lot of fun with that, Twixt, Breakthru, Chekit, and Kensington

I'm looking for a game like Space Empires or Smallworld that you could play with just two players and would have good replay value. Any recommendations?

Axis & FUCKING Allies, my G. Global 1940 Edition. You can't feed me enough of that shit.

How crunch / rules heavy or lite are you looking for?

I'll throw out 'Stronghold 2nd Ed' is a solid 2 player game.

I will second Stronghold 2e if you're down with a crunchier game than smallworld. Just know the rulebook is absolute shit and the game comes with some typos but luckily you can find answers to any questions online.

If you can get over that it's a great game that I'm surprised isn't mentioned more often

last thread someone said campy creatures has been one of their most played games recently and it made me realize how lucky I am that my gaming group isn't full of retards

There is no patience with this one.
Might as well just try to teach him using a knife in an urban environment.

Try and get that ADD under control bud, then maybe you can enjoy real games.

Just bought my second copy of heroquest. You don't wanna know what happened to the first one

I forgot how much fucking fan content there is out there

>with my boyfriend

Oh, I get it. This is a bait post designed to make women/gays look fucking retarded.

i had mine ruined by borrowing it to a wannabe playboy friend who sprinkles ton of cologne before he hits the town and the whole box with contents reeks of disgusting nausea enducing scent after a week of letting him play with it

never borrowing anything to anyone again

I knew someone was gonna say ADD. I enjoy plenty of things for two hours straight, including gaming (our game nights last five hours, during which I will play many games), and I am able to work a full time job and enjoy it. I work out for hours, etc.

I just think that there's no reason to spend two hours on one payoff when you can get an equally satisfying payoff every thirty minutes. Gaming is all about that moment you finally seize victory, or crash into defeat. The journey does not need to be long to accomplish this.

Plus, I know what I like. My collection is over 50% hidden traitor games or games with bluffing elements. Chit pushing is for other people.

Whats the best thing about heroquest?

>fav long game
2 hours is barely long and over half of my games take at least that long

I'd love to get a 4-6P session of Titan going at some point in my life though

>last weekend
played a couple 2P games of Neuroshima Hex! and _almost_ finished a 3P teaching game of Argent: The Consortium ending on round 5 of Summer Break scenario, good good times. my AP-prone housemate seemed underwhelmed by it but I was surprised that he was taking his turns a lot quicker than usual, compared to how awfully fucking long he was taking as Jack in Letters From Whitechapel a few weekends ago to the point of making everyone bored and pulling out their phones, which has never happened when I've played it previously

also still a bit slightly mad that he sulked about not playing as Jack when I wanted to, when it's my game and I haven't even played as Jack yet, I need to be less soft on him

I wish people talked about it more. I have to try the solo co-op, probably gonna do that today. But I played the expansion with my friends the other night and it's got some really interesting cards. So happy to have some more variety. Hope you get yours soon user.

Thanks user, anxiously waiting for the week or so of activities as I assemble, sort and sleeve the game in anticipation to game night. Please let me know how the co-op is! I didnt back set rotation but if the co-op os actually good Ill probably get it

Did you happen to get any of the mini expansions? My one main complaint with the base game is that it comes with too few promo sets. Not sure if you've played the game before/know how it works, but each game has 3 promo sets in each tier (bronze, silver, gold) which are sets of 6 cards that are all generally pretty powerful, something you can base your deck around. They're fun cards and they add a lot to the game, but the problem with the base set is that there are barely any interesting promos. After playing the base game god knows how many times with my friends cause we love it so much, we were sick of using the exact same promo cards in every single round when the store had so much variety. Set rotation comes with like maybe 6 more promo sets or something along those lines, but most of the mini expansions come with a bunch, and so we can now go from having basically the same 3 sets of 6 cards in every game to having so many sets we'll probably never even see all of them. The pile is almost as big as the standard store deck, and you only use at most 30 cards in a game (6 in each promo pile, and then another 2 sets that can be used as rewards after tournaments).

So yeah, set rotation is good but not needed immediately, but I definitely recommend picking up some mini expansions for some extra promos if you can. Also, it's been said by a few people before, but sleeving your cards honestly isn't really necassary for this game and may make it more of a hassle. Not only are there tons of cards all over the table at any given time because of how chaotic the store phase is, but the store pile is towering, and sleeves will likely make it way too big. The cards are pretty good quality too so as long as your friends dont have cheeto fingers, they're fine. My friends and I play it almost every week for months now and my cards are in great condition still.

I'll post later once I've tried the co op out.

I'll be the other idiot to shill for Super Dungeon Explore, especially since 2nd Edition plus the Campaign Mode is on the horizon. Get all the Kickstarter stuff off their official website before it closes, there's like a real buttload of stuff they unlocked for free during the Kickstarter.

Great miniatures, mediocre game and excellent at sucking your wallet dry.

You might as well buy Mansions of Madness, at least you're also buying a computer game bundled with that one.

Yeah I backed at the 80$ tier so it's coming with all 5 mini expansion which I'm happy because my autism makes me refuse to play with the backer sets and I'd just be left with two sets of promos each.

I keep flipping back and forth between sleeving mainly because I don't really like other people handling my cards, I'm a very big hygiene freak loser although saying that I dont really sleeve any games I feel would be replaceable. Millennium blades may not be around forever so I'm worried it wont be replaceable, sure theres so many card sets it doesnt matter but if it means I can play the game without having to watch others with a hawk eye (As much as I love my friends I can't trust them) and I can also fan the cards around nonchalantly I don't mind buying the 400 odd sleeves I'll need to sleeve the whole gam. I wish it wasnt such a down to my own opinion issue though because I'm terribly indecisive

I get it, everyone's got their thing. I tend not to like sleeves on cards personally so I don't do it, but I fully understand that cards do wear down over time. Also this is probably obvious but just in case you don't know, make sure you use clear backed sleeves. Seeing the card backs is an important mechanic (again, not sure how much you already know about the game).

Honestly, the backer sets are some of the better promos that ive seen. Most of the promo sets are all based around a particular theme, like the dragons in the base game are all the same basic card but based around a different element. One of my favorites of the mini expansions is a set that gives you bonuses if you're currently matching the metas. But the backer sets are really fun because none of the cards really follow any sort of theme, they're all just powerful cards in one way or another, so when you pull one, you have no idea what you're going to get but you can really build a unique deck around them. So if you can find it in yourself to live with the fact that some of them are somewhat silly due to backer based shenanigans, the cards themselves are fun to play with.

Really good that you got all the mini expansions though. Not only cause of the extra promos (and a few other things including 2 really unique characters) but because I think the mini expansions are only really printed for the kickstarter and that's it, with maybe an exception or two down the line. Don't quote me on that though. With that in mind, assuming you really enjoy the game, I would get set rotation sooner rather than later so as not to miss out and have to get a scalper copy. You would think the ridiculous amount of cards in the base game would be enough, but after enough plays you really wish for more sets...particularly because you're group isn't necassarily going to like using all of the sets, so even though there may be like 20 in the base game, you might not like 6 of them, and you use 12 at a time

Have you ever used KMC Hypermattes user? They're more expensive then usual sleeves but if you can bear that they feel like little wallets rather than slippery condoms.

Yeah I'll probably get set rotation sooner rather than later and then just stash it away until they day comes that I want to play it.

Have you seen anything about the RPG mode thats aparently in the art book? Been looking around for anything on it. Oh! Also have you played the pocket league minigame? Is it any fun?

I haven't, as I generally don't like shelling out money on sleeves, but given how often and how long I'll be playing this game, it might be worth looking into for me. I'm already looking into a broken token-esque organizer as the insert that comes with the game is shit.

I tried the minigame with my friend while we waited for the 3rd guy. It's basically that, a mini game. Not much depth to it. I actually think it would be pretty fun with 3 people, but there's less meat to it than even something like love letter. It was fun, but not something I would actively suggest playing unless we have 10 minutes to kill.

I haven't even heard of an rpg mode but you can bet I'm gonna do everything in my power to find out about it. Thanks for the heads up.

>Whats the best thing about heroquest?
Crushing your enemies. Seeing them driven before you. Hearing the lamentations of their women.

Ah. Well consider trying hypermattes. They cost more but they're very nice. Use them to sleeve whatever arkham horror lcg cards I'm using.

That's sad, was hoping it's be a fun little travel game but I think mint works is going to become the top tier of that.

I think I heard about the rpg mode on bgg but no idea if anyone has even recieved the artbook yet. Hope it's good.

good point. why try to teach your kid the rewards that come with patience when you can just ignore his flaws. you only have to deal with him for 18 years, right? so fuck trying to make him a better person. I'm with ya, superdad

Would you recommend getting the original game or the pocket version?

I saw it at a hobby store last weekend. Can you tell me about it?

I don't know why I found this so funny

Sure. Why use tricycle when we all know that eventually, he will drive a car, amirite?
Fuck going through the motions of teaching him to ballast on the water - just throw him in to the far end of the pool.
You have to understand that kids, just as older people are different, right?
Try not to give anyone parenting advice, there are plenty of 'couch child psychologists' out there without you.

If you want to play it on the go, pocket version for sure.

The presentation. Minis, furniture, the cards, the art, the flavor...it has an incredible feel. That's one of the reasons why people get so nostalgic about it. The aesthetic speaks to them.
The combat can be nerve racking too.

That sounds terrible m8
When I was in middle school, I found out about heroquest from Spoony's Dragon Strike video. I begged my grandma to buy it for me for Christmas in eBay.
A few years later I had a break in on my house. We were in the process of moving and I guess someone scoped us out. The motherfuckers left my tv, my Xbox, and even my laptop, but they took my heroquest.
Many many many years later I bought it again

>ketchup
>on eggs

Howrevolting.jpg

my point was that the parent should teach him patience by using something kids enjoy (games). you moved the goal post so fucking far you don't even know what you're talking about anymore.

also, if his kid is too fucking impatient to learn a game at age 5 the best thing that could happen is the kid dies before it can reproduce because those are some genetics we do not need passed down

tl;dr eat a dick faggot

Took a few hours to get around to it, but I just tested out the solo co-op mode for millennium blades, for you and anyone else wondering.

It's good. Not amazing, but good. it's not amazing because I think it suffers from the same thing that a lot of co-op games suffer from, which is they have a tendency to often be either extremely hard or very easy depending on the batch of RNG you happen to get. I happened to win, and it was sort of close, but I got lucky I think in how some of the cards were drawn from the boss deck.

However, the store phase was great. You get a really souped up version of the standard characters when you do co-op. The one I chose let me make unlimited fusions (didnt have to use sell markers) so I was popping out promos, and I also started with 2 full promo sets of these fusion gem accessories which were nice. And having a reason to build your deck without other players is great. Also, you're allowed to look at the bosses deck to see what you may be up against, and there are 2 random accessories drawn out of 4 that are all ridiculously powerful (the first one I drew made it so I could only activate one score effect at the end of the game). So the deck building is great, because you have a specific goal of beating this particular bosses deck in a certain way.

Overall I definitely need to give it more than just one playthrough, and I should also say that I hope this doesn't sound negative. It's not; I really enjoyed it. I just think the tournament phase, which is already the lesser of the 2 phases, is worse in this mode than when playing competetive. Still really fun, still gonna play a lot more rounds, but it's definitely not a replacement to the main game.

played knizia's samurai by ffg?

thoughts?

how do you solve alpha gamer problem?

alpha gamer is only a problem if one person in the group is significantly smarter/better at the game than everyone else. if someone not great is being the alpha then ignore their retarded ass. if they really are just the best then you're the ones dragging them down and should feel ashamed. idk why people continuously insist that alpha gamer is a problem that can somehow be solved without just house ruling that you can't talk about the game you're playing

>if they really are just the best then you're the ones dragging them down and should feel ashamed
Why even play with other people then

when me and my friends play co op we just agree beforehand we are playing by committee. If the game is too easy we make rules to make it harder and consider every co op game a challenge to the whole group. not everyone likes this style obviously, but we do and that's why i play co op games with other people.

I'm assuming you were only referencing co op games with your question.

Whacking them with a rolled up newspaper works.

this is one of the stupidest responses i have read in a long time. why even waste money on an internet connection if this is what you have to contribute to the world?
keep in mind i know you're joking, your joke was just so fucking bad i felt the need to say all this, so 1/10 i guess?

It was bad enough you wrote a response several times its size. I'd say that deserves a 3/10 at the least.

You're belittling how important gracing the post with his response is, it's atleast a 6/10.

It's for the hash browns, please forgive

Laxatives, chloroform, a heavy brick to name a few

The best thing about Heroquest is THE BROWDSWOWD!

NO! It's Clorine's Armour!

So, my girlfriend that's not so into nerd stuff. (She likes stuff like... tv shows, watched some anime in her pre-teen years, and nothing more) told me the other day: "We gotta save some money and get us some board games!!"

Any suggestions?

The best thing about Heroquest is the expansions, which you should immediately discard, because the only TRUE way to expand Heroquest is with more Heroquest.

Monopoly

do you have friends you'll be able to rope into playing with you, or will it likely just be the two of you? the amount of players is pretty important

Carcassonne

Most likely two. Some times 3 or four.

We already played it couple of times. We both know that there is better shit out there.

here you go. I'd personally recommend forbidden desert/pandemic (they're similar cooperative games), carcassonne, sherlock holmes consulting detective, jaipur, and ticket to ride (nordic countries for 2-3)

pandemic is probably the most difficult game on there. it's manageable as a first game, but will be a bit more difficult (and you might fuck up/forget a rule or two)

sherlock holmes is a highly recommended 2 player game, but it doesn't really have replay value so you might want to take that into consideration

ticket to ride nordic, jaipur, carcassonne, and forbidden desert would all be relatively easy and work well at 2 players.

Thank u, m8!

It's generated 3 responses now. That's worth an 8/10

Any of you fa/tg/uys been to BGG con before? I've only been to small regional cons before, but I'm thinking of trying to buy a pass when they go on sale in a few weeks. I can't really go to any of the big summer cons because of work, and BGG con is at a perfect time for me to take a week off.

>2hours+
Shadows of Brimstone
>Last Weekend
Dungeon Saga, Unusual Suspects, Big book of Madness, Ninja Dice, Santorini.

>learn about gloomhaven
>sounds like a perfect match for me
>it's not available for preorder anymore, sold out everywhere, scalpers up the ass
>no info about reprint, will probably happen winter this year

I should really keep my eye on kickstarter more and irresponsibly preorder.

The super powered characters sound fun, does it come with the mini-expansion characters powered or just base and set rotation?

Also do you end up playing through each boss in one go? I know theres like the illuminati and druids so one tournement is against one and the next you're fighting another?

Sounds pretty fun though user, thanks for letting me know, might get it and mess around with it just for the idea of playing big beefy characters