Warhammer Fantasy General

Fantasy General: Skaven are the best race edition

>Previous Thread
Kindly no End Times or Age of Sigmar. If that is your cup of tea, please go elsewhere, especially if you're just going to shill or troll. For all intents and purposes, it's not the same universe.

>1d4chan
1d4chan.org/wiki/Category:Warhammer_Fantasy

>Newbie Introduction to Warhammer Fantasy (Download, start reading at page 174 for the story and all the races)
mediafire.com/download/i330182xo9b1hsi/Rulebook (Hardback).pdf

>Third Party Miniature Manufacturers
pastebin.com/CvGaNyrk

>List of Warhammer recommended proxies
the-ninth-age.com/lexicon/index.php?lexicon/462-the-9th-age-miniature-library/

>Tomb Kings Range reborn!
tabletop-miniatures-solutions.com
indiegogo.com/projects/tms-undying-dynasties-army-release#/

>Bretonnia range reborn!
indiegogo.com/projects/tms-kingdom-of-equitaine-army-release

>Fimir range reborn!
krakongames.com/product-category/miniatures/fomorian/

>Warhammer Wikis
whfb.lexicanum.com/wiki/Main_Page
warhammerfb.wikia.com/wiki/Warhammer_Wiki
warhammeronline.wikia.com/wiki/Warhammer_Online_Wiki

>Resources (Armybooks, Supplements, lore, Crunch - INCLUDING WARHAMMER FANTASY ROLEPLAY)
pastebin.com/8rnyAa1S
pastebin.com/0e6RuQux

>Endhammer
1d4chan.org/wiki/Endhammer

>9th Age
the-ninth-age.com

>Warhammer Online: Return of Reckoning (Alpha)
returnofreckoning.com/

>Total War: Warhammer
store.steampowered.com/app/364360/

>End Times: Vermintide
store.steampowered.com/app/235540/

>Mordheim: City of the Damned
store.steampowered.com/app/276810/

>Bloodbowl 2
store.steampowered.com/app/236690/

>Man O' War
store.steampowered.com/app/344240/

Other urls found in this thread:

app.roll20.net/lfg/listing/69826/warhammer-fantasy-roleplay-west-marches#newtopic
s1.webmshare.com/eWDr8.webm
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

Of course they are, they're so pettable!

I like to pat Skaven. Petting is too much.

>not wanting a non-sentient abomination as a waifu
>not seeing countless progenies being birthed each year
>not watching the strongest taking lead

THIS THREAD IS GOING TO BOOK
REMOVE THAGGORAKI

If anyone is interested in a west marches style game of war hammer fantasy role play, I am running one here:
app.roll20.net/lfg/listing/69826/warhammer-fantasy-roleplay-west-marches#newtopic
It will be set in the border princes.

your kids gonna murder you then

>That description
s1.webmshare.com/eWDr8.webm

Would feline beastmen scare the shit out of the skaven?

What's the source of this webm? I've seen other funny screencaps in a similar style.

I think any beastman would scare the shit out of a Skaven.

Ravandils quest.

>Skaven are the best race edition
REEEEEEmove rats

skaven are described having both a hateful and a fearful attitude towards what is associated with the predators of the common mice.

I think they would start extermination campaigns whenever possible.

Mordheim questions.

One, what's with this equipment chart from Khemri: Land of the Dead? Where are the prices? How do you find this stuff?

Two, where are the FAQs on pistols? If I were to enter combat, use my pistol on the first round then fight for three turns, would i be able to fire on the turn after combat? Or do I need a turn for 'reloading?'

Do the vampire counts have living humans in their army?
If so what kind are they and are they comparable to lets say state troopers from sylvania?

In the Horned Rat's realm in the Realm of Chaos, there are uncounted cats being tortured by rat daemons.

Have you ever read Rattenkrieg?

I cannot get over my hatred of the whole Skaven race after Rattenkrieg.

no. What's it about?

Is there a better picture of this somewhere?

I don't know the artist's name but I can post more of their work.

It's actually a very well-written short story with a dark twist, so I'd recommend trying to read it yourself instead of my summary:

An Imperial mayor's sixish daughter is kidnapped by the skaven. Like any father would do, the mayor does everything in his power to get his daughter back, hiring mercenaries and conscripting the town guard for a 'Rattenkrieg,' an all out war on the Skaven.

One of the few survivors, a mercenary captain, later relates the story to a priest of Morr: at first they had made good use of very detailed maps the mayor had somehow acquired, showing exact positions of many Skaven and made of leather as to not get waterlogged in the underground sewers. Most of the skaven were weak, and the fights were easy. But after the last of the map positions had been mopped up, the mercenaries started being attacked by a larger clan, that had been using them to eliminate their rivals for them.

The mercenary captain decides that all he can do now is fight the Skaven until he dies, and speaks to the priest of a body needing to be shriven. The priest is understandably confused - he brought no corpse with him, and he could not be so blessed while alive - but the captain tells him to look at the maps. They were made by the Skaven using the skin of the mayor's daughter.

I hate the Skaven.

I certainly know its Dave Gallagher's art.

Is there a place to find it?

REMOVE FOOKIN' RATS DAWRI!

We need a mod to reduce these.

Yes, according to post-6e army books. But only the Von Carsteins and Lahmians. Strigoi if you count Ghouls or the rare Strigany warband.
In fact 6e had rules for taking living models.

BDs and Necrarchs are unlikely to have any.

Of course everyone uses Necromancers.

I would say you need a turn for reloading. Just use common-sense, if you're in melee then you're not going to be able to reload a pistol are you?

>Nagash gets added
>Archaon still has the biggest hat
>In a direct matchup Nagash can literally just keep backhanding him across the map

Well in Mordheim the ghouls were more like the shunned of society than cannibal cave dwellers.

I doubt they would use state troops but I imagine they could whip the peasants of Slyvania up into a frenzy and use them to raid nearby villages.

Thanks. I haven't been able to find it yet but it looks like he did a lot of Silver Tower art as well.

Its no wonder after Chapterhouse they use the guy who is only good at art of existing models.

Gallagher is much better than the photoshop friends GW hires to fill the AoS books.

He did a lot of good art that never got models.

>mfw playing as Bardin with az and shield
Charged attacks all day everyday. Stunlocks everyone, but ogres

Dave's a venerable old Warhammer artist. He's a staple of the game's art and he does a lot of original work.

He's the best person they have on AoS by a very long way.

You know, speaking of Skaven, does anybody else feel a little annoyed by how they were portrayed later on? I mean, I have no qualms about them as a race of evil ratmen, but I just dislike how they are given a very disproportionate advantage over the other factions.

Now, I understand that each army book is made to build up their faction as much as possible. But, in retrospect, they've seemingly have:

>More numbers overall than both Orcs and Goblins combined, coupled with better weaponry and possibly tactics
>Mages around the level of High Elves in power, boosted by large amounts of Warpstone and favor of their own god.
>Has their own pocket god entirely dedicated to the Skaven race. Also has his own daemons, and is capable of stepping on the toes of Chaos gods, with stealing Magic from Tzneetch and Plague from Nurgle.
>Skaven are mostly resistant to Chaos overall, with few, if any, ever falling to the gods temptations.
>Assassinated Nagash multiple times, despite his mastery over life and death.
>Technology that is on par with, and in some cases better, than Dwarves.
>Assassins that are on par with, or better than, Dark Elves.
>Major settlements underneath almost every Human city in the world, along with tunnels that allow access to almost everywhere, with a few notable exceptions.
>Only weakness is that they are not unified

Is it just me? Or do they seem a bit much?

They're called "Beastmen", citizen. And if you pray to Sigmar and stay away from the forest you'll be fine.

On the other hand, they are all weak, snivelling, starving, treacherous cowards.

I like the idea of them dreaming of the eventual Day of the Rat when they swell up from the earth like a tide and inherit the surface world that they believe is theirs by right. Like The Triumph of Death but with ratmen instead of skeletons.
For the moment however, they lurk in the shadows and gnaw at the foundations of civilisation waiting for their time in the sun.

Of course the whole point is that it doesn't happen. That's why The End Times was a mistake. They're a foreboding menace hidden under everyone's noses. And maybe they attempt one of their hare-brained schemes, but they're thwarted and the clock stays at one minute to midnight.
They're Pinky and the Brain as portrayed by Hieronymous Bosch.

I've seen them with my own eye, and if you say again that ratmen don't exist i'll let that flaming harlot burn you.

We need a mod to remove him.

what's the horned rat realm like? I don't remember reading about it much, except a snippet about verminlords in the end times series.

You forgot the GW writing staff motto.

"Rise of the Horned Rat" first chapter begins in the Horned Rat's realm and it describes the realm with some detail. Here is the relevant bit.

>There was no sense to the geometry of the great hall. Stairs went on infinitely to nowhere. Black rivers flowed along walls. Within round cages of iron, cats roasted eternally in green fire without being consumed. Windows opened in midair, looking upon places neither near nor far, but most definitely not within the bounds of the Realm of Ruin. The squeaking of a billion times a billion anguished skaven souls made a painful chittering that obliterated all other sound. Verminking moved through it as one long accustomed to visiting, taking unexpected turns and secret ways precipitately and without warning, the ultimate rat in the ultimate maze.

They need to replace him with Arbaal.

Oh no... I meant we need a mod to make them bigger.

GW needed to replace all of the current chaos champions with their predecessors.

Arbaal>Valkia
Egrim/Aekold>Vilitch
Mordrek/Valnir>Festus
Dechala/Azazel>Sigvald

Its not always the case.

They're powerful in the grand scheme of things but their troops are worthless. They're about Goblin level, so in any situation where they can't bring their numbers to bear they're fucked. Which is probably how the Dwarfs alone keep fucking them in the tunnels.

Warpstone is unreliable in both technology and magic, unlike Dwarf technology and Elven magic which works 9 times out of 10.

Nearly every faction has a specific God. Gork and Mork, Sigmar, Hashut. They all have a single God or a pantheon.

Rats are sneaky beaky so I can believe they would have the best assassins, they train half a world away. Which implies Nippon has the best assassins.

but then people would whine about those being mainstream and boring

it's not about the who's in a place but the how's narrated

Was Karl Franz always such a handsome Devil?

in practice, a grimdark rat cage on surrealist drugs

Here's an AoS artists interpretation.

Dechala and Azazel are both Daemons, not Warriors. They belong in the eventual Daemons army.

I know this isn't official AoS art because it doesn't depict official GW models and duplicate them throughout the piece.

NOT FUCKING CANON, Karl Franz dies anticlimactically so Archaon can have a monologue against Sigmar then wrestle for the title of god emperor of mankind.

Good point about Azazel but Dechala isn't daemon. That's why she's called "the Denied".

Finubar was handsome in that comic too. Even Tyrion was looking like young Mark Hamill.

How can she not gbe a Daemon when her literal backstory is being killed by Chaos Elves and resurrected as a snake woman by Slaanesh to lead a Daemon warband?

Not to mention she's a Daemon in End Times. I mean, it is End Times but it supports her origin.

> Referencing the End Times in a non-ironic fashion.

The dark gods can ressurect their champions and shower them with mutationsmwithout turning them into daemons.

It's alright. You can get your white Skaven painting bundle for only $106.

>Making fun of End Times can only be in an ironic manner

She's literally described as a "Daemonic creature".

I mean, that could be a half state like that Pox Maggot guy or the Fimir, but she's definitely part Daemon.

Sounds like a demon prince(ss).

Then she is not daemonic enough to ascend to daemon prince.

Well sarcasm is hard to detect here.

Which Empire province do you prefer and why?

>this is an actual miniature

averland because good colours and master banters/boasters.

Nordland because I'm a Swede, I like the backwater provinces, I like their colours and their inferiority complex complex amuses me.

> Age of Sigmar: The wars for the Saturday morning kids slot.

Hochland. Quiet corner of the Empire with best damn rifles around.

It's in the 'Tales of the Old Word' anthology.

Sorry for the small picture size, but it's the largest I could find on a google search. It's got a few good other stories there, though it's mostly focused on the Empire and Bretonnia.

Reikland because big flamboyant mustaches, poofy clothing, and actual plate armor.

Nordland is the closesting thing there is to Warhammer Denmark, right?

The worst part is so much of AoS could have worked with different execution.

Sylvaneth are not a terrible idea. Giving Ariel a new model, going back to the 6e way of having different army builds so you could make an entire list of out trees and Elf ghosts

Sigmarines are ass as an entire army because they all look alike. You notice how now they try to show one with a human head? But as an option, some insanely armored Sigmar Green Knights with a paintjob that isn't laughably gaudy, isn't a bad idea.

A new story arc with the hunt for Ushoran, that's a good idea for a summer campaign.

Nomadic Dwarfs.

But every single decent concept is killed by the terrible execution in a terrible setting.

I'm torn between Averland because great colors and crazy fun Elector Count and crazy culture, and Wissenland because good colors and fucking cannons and shit and kinda dour in a fun way, also closer to dwarves and Bretonnia. Both also have a connection to old Solland, either through nobles or absorbing land.

I've said it numerous times before. If they didn't kill off WHFB to make AoS, I imagine it would not be nowhere as hated.

I can agree with the business choice behind it, making an easy-entry, simpler skirmsh game. And I think it succeeds in that regard. But killing WHFB was an awful idea.

Remember to check yourself for lumps at least once a month, even on the battlefield.

This has been a message from Shallya's Cancer Institute.

How the hell do Halflings keep the Vamps from eating them all?

I think I remember hearing about some kind of Treemen defending the region, but I can't find a source on that.

Halflings got Treemen, more thanWood Elves, in Blood Bowl. All I know.

Although Halflings are basically small smart Ogres. Less blood, harder to catch, taste gross, and will eat you if you fuck up. Doesn't sound worth it.

>Halflings got Treemen, more thanWood Elves, in Blood Bowl

That's what I found interesting. I know the regions bordering Sylvania are forested, so I thought if those Treemen inhabit the region they could be the reason the Moot has never been invaded.

I think Vamps also tend to to ignore the Moot since there's not much to it other than farmlands, which the undead don't really need.

They don't, the Empire protects them in exchange for a troop levy.

I've never heard of this version. Where is she mentioned in ET?

"Champions of Chaos" states that she is more akin to daemon than mortal but doesn't specify her as a daemon on her profile.

"Liber Chaotica: Slaanesh" says she was an elf princess that was meant to marry the daemon prince Samael but refused. Slaanesh promised Samael that Dechala would never become daemonkin unless she returned to Samael of her own volition or Samael was killed.

I like to think they have plot armor in the form of Tolkien parody allies.

>Its all over Mr. Froyo, Vlad's army is marching on Shireshire!
>The treemen are attacking him! We're saved!
>The Grave Guard chopped them up Mr. Froyo, we're doomed!
>The Wizards of the Empire are here Mr. Froyo! We're saved!
>The Zombies ate the Wizards, we're doomed!
>The Wood Elves are here Mr. Froyo, we're saved!
>The Wood Elves were screamed to bits by Banshees, we're doomed!
>The Dwarfs are here Mr. Froyo, we're saved!
>The Fell Bats ate the Dwarfs, we're doomed!
> The Eagles are here Mr. Froyo, we're saved!
>The Vargheists ate the Eagles, we're doomed!
>Vlad has given up, he's going to invade the Warp because it has less plot armor, Shireshire is saved Mr. Froyo! We'll be able to eat all the dead bodies and live like kings!

In ET she taunts Malekith by throwing Morathi's staff at him and saying Slaanesh enjoyed her. He killed her for it.

She shows up in the final battle too.

I guess so, all the Empire provinces are basically German, but so Denmark so yeah I suppose.

The provinces have moved so far away from their historical counter parts that there's pretty much nothing left other than that they are somewhere in German. Averland has the traditional colours of Austria and Hochland has jaeger green and the rest are pretty much made up or what looks good. Real landsknechts just used the brightest colours available.

Fuck me, I can't spell for shit today.

> eat the dead bodies and...

You overhyped several abilities and forget that many of their powers are complete unstable and unreliable.

>Plague-bearers!
>Boil 'em, mash 'em, stick 'em in a stew

That one time Frilbo Saggins asked you round his Mootland retreat for some 'chicken' off the bone.

>How the hell do Vamps keep the Halflings from eating them all?
fix'd

I'm sure they have a recipe for eating chaos spawns if you got to read one of their secrets books.

>Halflings got Treemen
are they pumpkin themed?

Well, the HRM was larger than Germany.

And provinces like Ostland and Ostermark definitely have some more eastern/hunnic influences. So maybe Austria or Hungary.

In heirs of Sigmar it says Halflings are the best at fighting in dense forests with the exception of Wood Elves of course. This combined with the Empire breathing down your neck means it's probably easier to go through Averland.

Vampires only care about capturing the machinery of the Empire state anyway, killing all the Halflings would serve no purpose except probably making the Empire stronger.

Headcanon warning

>the moot is one of the most fertile grounds in the empire, with plants overgrowing their analogues in other regions and the grass looking greener at each step, it is speculated that it is one of the last remnants of the once worldwide influence the forest of athel loren had on the world.
>while not difficult to inhabit it is extremely difficult to farm without incurring in the anger of the wild forest spirits native of the region that mostly live underground (pumpkin themed).
>only the halflings so far have proved to coexist with the wild folk and this has granted them, political, economical and bellic coverage in a world filled of perils.

Yeah they take a few cues from their real counterparts but generally it's just a mishmash.

Poland is kind of split between Kislev and Ostland but Kislev is also Russian and Finnish themed. It's just everything thrown into a blender.

I don't remember a land war resulting in a Russian or Finnish loss every time its attempted.

The Moot isn't quite worth the effort for the Vamps, unless they're going to try and starve the Empire, and they haven't really campaigned against them in a long time. And the halflings both can't put up all that much direct resistance, and would provide too much guerrilla resistance - they'd fight for the Moot tooth and nail, and with Imperial help. It's not something that will fall fast, and won't be much of a risk behind them if they ignore it.