Modern General

MtG Modern General Masters edition

How do you feel about the masters sets?

How do you feel about the current meta?

Anything that should be banned/unbanned?

Baleful strix in modern?

RESOURCES
Current Modern Metagame
mtgtop8.com/format?f=MO
mtggoldfish.com/metagame/modern

DATABASES
magiccards.info
gatherer.wizards.com

READINGS
Evolution of death's shadow in modern
mtggoldfish.com/articles/deck-evolutions-death-s-shadow-modern

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=FsflkqiTsNo
deckstats.net/deck-12465264-464a389356398965c45a54e1992d7518.html
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

NO SPOILER?

NO BUY!

Master sets blow and do basically nothing.
>but Goyf down to 110$.
Wee

Meta is fine, I guess. Whatever. No better or worse than most past metas.

Nothing should be un/banned.

Baleful Strix would probably be fine.

>How do you feel about the masters sets?
They are a fucking failure and designed them deserves get thrown in a oven.

>How do you feel about the current meta?
I feel that we have a very wide variety of good decks, the problem is too many people seem to gravitate towards GBx Midrange decks and URx "Control"™ and as a result the format feels very stale. When was the last time you played against fish? I haven't seen it in over a year, and that makes me sad.

>Anything that should be banned/unbanned?
Preordain is probably safe to unban. Without Git Probe, Storm is shit so unbanning it is hardly a controversial action... I think.

SFM would be an easy unban, after all 90% of decks run some kind of artifact hate in the SB

I wanna say Unban Wallet sculptor, because control in modern is a joke, but frankly I wasn't around to play during the cawblade era so I may be underestimating how powerful he is

Twin doesn't really deserve to be on the ban list, the only reason it made up 12% of the meta was because of all the Spikes from reddit who think that playing blue makes their penis bigger, and the lack of good spells to counter it. Now we have all sorts of stuff to make Twin eat dirt, no reason to keep it on the list. If you are really so scared of it, ban Exarch that way all the cards are bolt-able

>Baleful strix in modern?
Yes please. I don't even play blue, but I think it'd be a great addition to the cardpool.

>Masters set
OG inistrad and return to ravnica, right? It's just going to be an augmented cube. WU will be "DUDE CONTROL AND FLIERS LMAO," for example. BR will be "dude vampires," WB will be "dude lifegain lmao" Maze's End will be in, as they'll be using the gates as mana fixing. Shocks are in too, so that's 10/53 rares

They need to be careful with Preordain because of Infect. It would be interesting to see if Preordain could get Delver to T1. I also want to see what would happen to the format if Delver became T1.

I wish we had access to Ponder or Brainstorm more than Preordain. It feels sad playing Serum Visions after getting to play with those two spells.

>Maze's End will be in, as they'll be using the gates as mana fixing

oh god they would do that, wouldn't they?

I mean, as someone who owns four shocklands, I'd buy a box just for the bonus of cracking some of those.

This always made me wonder, why no one use Telling Time.

Because it costs 2 mana? But it is instant speed, puts card in your hand, one on top and last one on the bottom.

And even if your picks from it are, crack your fetch before drawing second card to shuffle the library and the top card with it.

from it are bad*

Brainstorm would be such a cool card, but were it legal literally every blue deck would run it. Being able to get rid of two bad cards in hand via a fetch, or using it to avoid getting a combo piece taken away by a thoughtseize. Too fucking good.

10/10 idea, 2/10 execution.

At least it isn't as bad as standard.

InB4 ban cheerios.

But user, Fun Draft Environment. The mythics will probably be out of the ravnica guilds (Voice of Resurgence, Aurelia, Blood Baron, Domri Rade, OG Olivia, Lazav, Ral Zarek, Progenitor Mimic, Vraska, Bruna), with 5 mythics left. Maze's End, Lily, Snappy, Grizzlbrand and Craterhoof. YOU'RE GETTING MYTHIC SNAPPY AND YOU'RE GOING TO LIKE IT GODDAMMIT.

Basically, just make a cube, take out interesting cards, throw in a small smattering of reprints to make people get slightly hyped and you got MM2017

Modern's meta is fine
There is nothing wrong with this.

Please do not use top 8's shitty fucking categorization system to talk about Modern.

I've used it years ago before switching go grixis. It might be fine in red blue delver but on turn 2 I'd rather be holding up counters to protect delver/my face or using cantrips to get an early tasigur.

I keep seeing people complain about it; what's wrong with the way they categorize it?
Genuinely curious, I'm pretty new to competitive magic

click on eldrazi aggro and realize they include eldrazi tron in the category. Not to mention they name and classify decks incorrectly

>eldrazi tron
>not aggro

>implying eldrazi tron isn't control
>inb4 combo tron fags show up

Which part is control? The all is dust? The turn 2 thought knot?
Funny

It was a joke, but the deck sure as fuck isn't aggro user.

Turn 2 4/4 with turn 3 5/5 haste trample seems pretty aggressive

A lot of fuckups. Mixup of Death's Shadow decks and UR decks, MonoW Hatebears GW Hatebears and MonoW Eldrazi, shitty naming conventions, etc.

Basically if a deck has any variants you can be sure it's not properly being represented.

>tfw when you Lunar Force with a Living End suspended with one time counter left after he spent last turn Maelstrom Pulse'ing your Nevermore
I've had blowjobs less great.

Yeah because Karn, All is dust, Batterskull and mind stone are staples of aggressive decks right? Expedition map and endbringer are pretty aggressive cards too, can't forget about them.

Just because the deck can curve out with a nut hand does not mean it's aggro.

They are if you're casting them immediately

>If you cast things fast you're aggro

Tron is literally aggro, how else do you define turn 3 worldbreakers and worm coil engines? eldrazi tron is just a more balls out aggro tron deck.

Do people actually consider infect a combo deck?
I see it listed under combo on a lot of sites, but most people I've asked in person consider it aggro

Yes. If you kill your opponent on turn 3-4 you are certainly not control

It and Death's Shadow are literally combo decks that play like aggro decks.

How do I stop loving this awful game? I feel like I'm stuck in an abusive relationship.

>how else do you define turn 3 worldbreakers and worm coil engines
Stabilization, Gx Tron has literally more sweepers and stabilization mechanisms than actual finishers. Nothing Karn does can win the game. I fucking hate when people think Tron plays anything like monobrown beatdown.

Because you are playing a tempo deck and you're not looking for a cmc2 card

YES

P L E A S E

Because it's 2 mana. There's a reason lightning Bolt is amazing and lightning strike is bad

>DREDGE IS DEAD, OMG GUIS, DREDGE IS DED!!! NO MORE TROLL!! DED!!!!!
>Everyone removed all grave hate entirely and forgot it even exists
>2nd and 3rd places in GP is Dredge
>4th is fucking Living End on a tight budget in played condition cards.

>Tron
>Control

Sultai snake tribal when?

Is modern dying?

youtube.com/watch?v=FsflkqiTsNo

How meme this deck is from 1 to 10?

Yes. It's losing competitive support and frontier was made to replace it.

Obviously it's aggro! It wins by attacking with wurmcoils and Nulamog

It's as dead as any Eternal format.
>Frontier was made to replace Modern
So, you believe that a non-WotC run store in Japan, who came up with Frontier - made it to replace Modern?

Or do you believe that Frontier will take over Modern by sheer fact of existing, when not a single side event of Frontier has managed to launch, as not fucking one of them got even 8 players?

Take your trash format and shove it down your throat, even Standard has a healthier meta than your wannabe format.

Seems fun. Would play with Steel Overseers even tho I know its slow.

Gx Tron is control for sure but Eldrazi Tron is monobrown beatdown. Karn and All is Dust are only 1-2 ofs. The deck only plays Expedition Map for a cantrip (Mind Stone sorta counts). All of its best draws involve fast Seers/Smashers. etc

>Masters Sets
I liked EMA for drafting and getting EDH staples. Plus I got lucky and opened foil Shardless Agent + Maze of Ith. Modern Masters drafts have never been that fun for me and the EV is shit. If they don't reprint Zen fetches then I won't touch it.

>Current Meta
As a Titanshift player I'm afraid of Death's Shadow Jund being the new thing. As far as overall health I'm happy with it. If you're a reasonably skilled pilot then you can do well at a tournament with a good deck given that the field is so diverse.

>Bans/Unbans
Unban Probe and Stoneforge, ban Batterskull

>Baleful Strix
Meh. If we're talking about supplemental set products in Modern, I'd much rather see Shardless Agent or Toxic Deluge

>deck that cares about nothing more than controlling the board with big mana plays and has 1-2 finishers as opposed to 10-12 cards that reads don't lose and maintain board control
>not control

>Eldrazi Tron
>"""'Control""""
wew

I'm talking about Gx, which still makes up the majority of tron decks listed under mtgtop8.

still aggro desu, using worldbreaker to exile blockers and swing is pretty aggressive.

Why the fuck would you swing with World Breaker?

Almost every frontier event at gp Vancouver failed to find enough players

>all this people wanting fetches to be reprinted on a limited print run set that also has overinflated value and has lees booster packs per boxes
autismintesifies.jpg

Zen fetches are going the way of damnation, will only get reprinted if wotc needs something to sell, they're not going to waste the """reprint equity""' on MM because they know they could print literal garbage and it would sell.

>Toxic Deluge
yeah, nah. you're a cunt.

WHERE ARE PROOFS

Updated my Mono-White Hatebears, any suggestions?

brimaz is shit. play mirran crusader.

serum visions does the same thing

>both swing for 4
>brimaz doesn't die to bolt
>brimaz gives you token card advantage
>brimaz can swing for 4 and chump block next turn

I know you run mirran crusader in your mono white humans but brimaz is head and shoulders above it

crusader just dodges black removal

I agree with you but crusader also doesn't get brick walled by goyf

I have 2 crusaders in the sideboard, I really like him but I have no idea what I'd cut for him, 2 Serra Avengers? Doesn't seem great.

Brimaz has gotta stay

Overpriced core sets.

Slightly surprised about Death's Shadow's populaity after probe's banning

gib back preordain/ponder

Yes pls.

Your build looks really similar to my own, only advice is you really could use something to help get more value from Thraben Inspectors. I've been having great success with a couple of Anthem effects in the 75 as per Craig Wescoe's recent list; a couple Honor of the pure or Gideon AoZ. Either makes the control matchup a cakewalk, and Gideon can pull double duty to help in GBx matchups

If you're worried about goyf stopping your attacks you should be more worried about bolt killing your crusader so he can get in

Add some maindeck Spellskites and its a thing.

Fine I guess, but it's much better when staples get printed in conspiracy

The modern meta is always a joke, just play what you like and have experience with

Unban jace and bbe
No bans

Lmao delver is bad enough already

>delver is bad enough already
What did he mean by this?

delver is not a good modern deck
baleful strix shits on delvers

>Because delver does not run strix

The masters sets don't actually lower prices, because wizards refuses to print things at appropriate rarities. if wizards followed their own rarity guidelines, tarmogoyf would be uncommon. But that would lower the price of collections.

Anyways, here's how to fix Modern Masters:

>unlimited print run
>duals and fetches at uncommon
>snapcaster, goyf, and liliana of the veil at rare
>jace the mind sculptor at mythic, along with an unbanning.
>fuck it just print cabal therapy in there too, I know it isn't modern legal, but make it modern legal if printed in modern masters

even if a delver deck runs strix you still don't want to play against it, it trades with all of your dudes

and you probably wouldn't maindeck strix

EMA lowered some prices. Still waiting on port though.

Every BU deck would run strix.

>2cmc = spell snare
>1 toughness dies to literally any removal spell in grixis delver
>grixis delver can just run it too
I don't know if shit's on is the right word there user.

>Cabal therapy
modern does not need that
modern needs counterspell and daze

>cheeri0s with daze to protect from removal
mmmm yes
also infect I guess

I think I can cut 2 Avengers for 2 Honor of The Pure.

How do you feel about Selfless Spirit? I ran it originally but cut them for Thraben Inspector

Not him, but spell snare is about only card good against it in delver. And it's pretty shit card overall being too narrow. If delver ends up using removal to baleful strix, it's actually more value for strix player. Why would delver want to play the card, it's 1 power, you are not the one who wants to play on defense. You should be the one hitting 1 drop clock on board and defend it to keep initiate, isn't that the wwhole point of the deck?

Baleful strix is one of the best cards against "fair" beater decks. There is reason it's played in legacy.

delver is pretty weak in the current meta, I don't except it to stay tier 2 much longer unless something changes.

No twin? No deal.
BBE, SFM,JTMS and twin, obviously.
Hell yea.

Maybe if you're still a pleb on grixis

grixis is objectively the best delver variant. if grixis has trouble staying tier 2, imagine what tier the worse delver decks will be.

>objectively
How so? It's so similar to bad jund. It has the same bad matchups

Not that guy but temur delver is super slept on.
I played against it online and in Brisbane and it seems very good

>tfw got meme'd into buying modern jeskai piles
someone give me a list to start with

The copycat deck that top32 the recent GP
It's fun

Why is whir of invention so fun?
Whir for Pithing needles
Whir for ensnaring Bridge
Whir for Thopter sword
Whir for torpor orb

Give me your list, I want to give this a try

Meh, can't grab tarmogoyfs

Costing UUU seems like it would be too slow.

love the concept. needs some finetuning,though

I'm considering building one myself, any suggestions on what to change?

Why don't control decks run a couple deprive?

Does the land bounce really matter when they have like ten fucking lands out late game? Seems worth it for a hard counter

Logic Knot is usually better

Turns 1-4 are the most critical in memedern, and where using deprive hurts the most. And if you're in 3 colors bouncing a shockland hurts.

deckstats.net/deck-12465264-464a389356398965c45a54e1992d7518.html

think twice are flex slots, haven't tested against the new death shadow. OG Tron is the worst match-up, eldrazi tron is much more manageable.

>OG Tron is the worst match-up
I just automatically assume this of any deck that interests me at this point