WIP - Painting/Sculpting/Converting General

"How Do Retards Keep Spilling Pots of Nuln Oil?" Edition

>Citadel Painting Guides:
mediafire.com/folder/drb4mezm6792i/not_citadel_nothing_to_see_here

>Paint range compatibility chart across manufacturers
dakkadakka.com/wiki/en/Paint_Range_Compatibility_Chart

>Painting guides, Uniforms & Heraldry books, Painting Videos, Visions, ebooks and White Dwarves:
>Currently offline

>Painting Videos only
mega.nz/#F!fkcliY4L!mhdmIs2lT3mFG3VwoLO8Qw
mega.nz/#F!XEJSFDCL!9ZZKiLi6M_wguI1uTpyjPg
mega.co.nz/#F!WUsUlSLb!556OumKLhusFd9Fw5dBMdA

>DIY Lightbox
youtube.com/watch?v=OyxzC5kqbyw

>How to Moldlines
youtube.com/watch?v=A4LZ8iCSkeU

>Fuckin Magnets how do they work?
youtube.com/watch?v=w8Tkw7ttTIo
miniwargaming.com/magnet-guide
bolterandchainsword.com/topic/297605-tutorial-magnetisation/

>List of mini manufacturers for converting and proxy
pastebin.com/p6bVhGsg

>Stripping Paint
dakkadakka.com/wiki/en/Dakka_Modeling_FAQ:_How_to_Strip...

>On the consequences of insufficient ventilation
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chronic_solvent-induced_encephalopathy
hse.gov.uk/pubns/indg273.pdf

>We stood at the edge of destruction, and would have fallen... if not for the might of The God-Emperor and his Angels of Death.
youtube.com/watch?v=ivXS-58a2EE

>Previous Threads:

Other urls found in this thread:

kirtongames.com/index.php?route=product/product&path=64_160&product_id=1181
kirtongames.com/index.php?route=product/product&path=64_160&product_id=1178
victoriaminiatures.highwire.com/product/dress-uniform-arms-resin
victoriaminiatures.highwire.com/product/victorian-legs-standing
youtube.com/watch?v=hDbNmvUY9II
amazon.de/Agora-Tec®-Komplett-Set-Komplettsystem-Airbrushpistolen-Luftdruckverteiler/dp/B00A8I95NW/
bitzbox.co.uk/product_info.php/adeptus-mechanicus-skitarii-rangers-galvanic-rifle-p-106
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

>"How Do Retards Keep Spilling Pots of Nuln Oil?" Edition

Our science isn't advanced enough to know yet.

Reposting

Hey /wip/ trying to make a napoleonic style regiment of IG, here's a list of the parts I'm using thus far but there are a couple of them that I'm not especially happy with

Head
kirtongames.com/index.php?route=product/product&path=64_160&product_id=1181

Body
kirtongames.com/index.php?route=product/product&path=64_160&product_id=1178

Arms
victoriaminiatures.highwire.com/product/dress-uniform-arms-resin

Legs
victoriaminiatures.highwire.com/product/victorian-legs-standing

I love the parts from Kirton Games but the arms/weapons aren't quite what I want as I wanted a more 'retrofuturistic musket' feel and the legs are far too expensive for a unit as numerous as Imperial Guard infantry. Seriously, dafuq Victoria Miniatures?

I've tried buying standard GW cadian legs elsewhere and just filing the pockets off but can't find an affordable bitz store with them in stock, any suggestions for alternative weapons/legs or ways to convert them?

pic related is pretty close to what I want them to look like

Working on this venom. How's it look? Any way I can make it stand out more? Kinda looks plain but don't know exactly what to do expect add freehand of the ynnari symbol, and there isn't much room for that

Need some easy eldar/ynarri runes

And here's the back. It looks fine here imo because there's more colour variety present.

I don't know, but I did it twice the only day I did it

so just Praetorians with cuirasses? why not just make some bluestuff molds of the leg bits?

Hey! Maybe a long shot asking here, but does anybody know if Cadian arms fit on Chaos Gors or Clanrats?

I'm not really familiar with the process, how hard would it be to learn?

not difficult

youtube.com/watch?v=hDbNmvUY9II

Reposting my Archmagos kitbash WIP.
He's supposed to hold a giant Caduceus-turned-Power Maul, for which I still need a base grip and a sizeable skull for the top (either human or even Ork), so any tips on where to find something for that are highly appreciated.

Still trying to figure out what legs to go with, but I do like the Ironstrider legs so far. Do need some more buffing up to get some extra bulk, but I can pretty much just use sll the remaining armor bits and stuff I have for that. Will try to make a cloak to throw over them, if I can get a decent one done out of green stuff, which I already have trouble with making a good cloak for a simple Marine.

Also still need a head for the fella. Have Datasmith heads left, some Kataphron Breacher heads and a Ruststalker head as main candidates. Gonns need to find a good way to anchor it in place either way. Thought about maybe making his whole actual upper body stick out from the top for that.

Does anyone know where the fuck I can get a bolter with no hand attached, I am in desperate need so that I can finish a kit bashed acolyte

One day it's going to happen to you too, even though you thought you would never be dumb enough to do it.

Unless you keep the pot closed at all times even when using it, or put it way out of reach so you can never knock it over, but then have to bring it close to you or reach over to dip your brush in it every time, which is equally as retarded.

I laughed all day at dumb asses complaining that the new nuln oil pot was poorly designed and was easy to knock over

then the next day I knocked it over twice

You won't know true pain and despair until you knock over a Chainmail or Abbaddon Black pot.
Both has happened to me already.

Uhhhh, that video seems to miss out some key parts of the process...What was he using for the piece itself? How do you ensure you get a full cast with no bits on the center of the model being lost?

This is exactly what I do with all my paint, washes, and even the brush-on primer. I open the pot / unscrew the dropper bottle, put it on my palette, close the pot, and only then do I start waving my arms around / painting.

Did some work today on the other four Seraphim and my first Battle sister. What do you all think?

GW should have kept it the same height as the old one but doubled the width.

WE MUST GO WIDER

Alright, I think that's enough progress for one day.
I got the base, legs, and back half of the main chassis done along with a good deal of the claws and powerplant (not in pic). The front of the main body (Sarcophagus and all) and the arms are barely at two base coats.

Overall, probably looking at a days more work, depending on much time I can devote to it.

They come in lots of different kits. I probably have at least a dozen.

You get them in kits produced before 6th edition September 2013.

The Command Squad kit should still be from that era.

FUCKING
ME TOO

What is a good sub 100 dollar airbrush bundle (With compressor)

As I was told on Saturday and another user just last thread: there are non. You can get a decent compressor for 100-150€ from what I saw so far and a super cheap airbrush for like 30€.

>that red trash can icon

I cri evertiem

Really? Doesn't harbor freight have a cheap one?

Are there any sculpting guides that you would recommend to a beginner ?

Basically buy any decent tank compressor that costs $100 and has a shitty airbrush thrown in with it for free, and plan on buying a better airbrush in the future.

>tries to do expensive things like miniature wargaming and airbrushing
>refuses to spend a reasonable amount of money to do them

Why do this to yourself? Why waste money setting yourself up for failure? You're literally better off saving your 100 and not doing it at all than wasting 100 on a shit setup. You need at least $150-$200 for a permanent setup that includes all the hoses and spare needles and accessories. You won't drop $100 and never pay a dime more for a good setup unless you only use it on priming.

Working on my Chapter Master's Terminator armor. I'm a sucker for the Sigmarine legs so I ended up using them with the Custodes top. The pose is a little more static than I'd like, but blame GW for not making more Paladin Prime legs in a dynamic pose

Helmet is too big.

Oil spills are like bread falling on the floor spread first. It's just a thing that happens.

Agreed, it looks like a cool mini except the head is totally out of place.

How do the Custodes torsos fit on the Siegmarine legs? Is it a clean fit or does it need some fiddling?

T-rex mode

Anyone got tips for doing a decent turquoise? open to any easily available paint range, have a plan for a mechanicum army and want to figure out a colour scheme for my robutts

>Thought about maybe making his whole actual upper body stick out from the top for that.
It could look cool for him to be nestled/plugged into a a huge bundle of cables. You could stack a ton of them to fill out the empty space and have his torso emerging from the top.

reposting my boat for no particular reason
who wants to name it

GOS Boaty Mcboatface

Reposting from the last thread.

Schism of mars based Imperials fists chaplain.

Has anyone used Dettol to strip Forgeworld resin models before? I've currently got some pieces soaking, the paint is stripping but dettol is a slow process. I've left plastic minis in it for over a month with zero damage and the paint just peeled off like a sleeve, 100% clean. Does anyone know if resin will hold up the same? Some people reported the resin softening after prolonged soaking.

If your resin gets soft you can just let it dry out over a week and it'll harden back up. When people say soft they don't mean floppy flaccid penis soft, it's more like the model's surface is beginning to not be as rock hard.

amazon.de/Agora-Tec®-Komplett-Set-Komplettsystem-Airbrushpistolen-Luftdruckverteiler/dp/B00A8I95NW/

Yeah okay. The pieces are the main body and head from the Vultarax so they're pretty solid. I left them today for 6 hours then gave them a scrub and even the little spindly bits were still rock hard so put them back in for the night so hoping they'll be okay.

NOT my original idea, but my version of mecha-squiggy. Counts as gorkanaut. 10 dollars worth of green stuff, half a bottle of glue, 10 hours so far, and too many bits to count.

#
Boaty McBoatface?

>mfw I got boored with every army I paint just before I buy any vehicle

anyone else with shelves full of infantry?

Boaty Mcboatface

Try skitarii ranger guns.

bitzbox.co.uk/product_info.php/adeptus-mechanicus-skitarii-rangers-galvanic-rifle-p-106

This place is pretty cheap, but they don't have many in stock.

O.K. keep eyes peeled future threads, it's not at the top of my in pile atm since i have a contest entry i have to finish but i will post here as i get to it

Very cool

Is he WYSIWYG for when I blast him off the board fampai?

I only have one small army but I have yet to paint any of the vehicles.

Please notice me senpai.
Back tanks and details to go, but at least I can play him now

>tfw need two more to play that retarded tri lord formation

I spilled half a pot of Ardcoat on my desk yesterday. Funnily enough the desk is cleaner now because it tore all the dirt off the surface when I wiped it

>thinking it isn't functioning exactly how GW intended
Oh no, looks like you'll have to buy more overpriced specialty paint goy.

Someone from a /wmhg/ was talking about mixing steyrofoam and superglue to make a super bonding agent. Anyone have any experience with this?

>Generously apply super glue to one side. Add styrofoam (one bubble should do for most cases, more for larger surfaces). Cover that styrofoam in glue and wait for it to dissolve. Then press both sides together for about 3-5 seconds. Let it sit for a few minutes before you continue working on it. After about 12h the bond should be as close to unbreakable as it gets.

that edge high light is very messy, try using masking tape.

Metal Gear?!?!

Again no weapons or glyphs to hide stuff atm

Noticed.

Man, that's honestly the most retardedly '40k' model currently on the market. Love it. I personally think the chest armour looks a bit flat. Maybe drops of nuln around every rivet and a recess wash along every crevice would help giving it depths.

Probably produces mustard gas.

I have spilled this one time too many!

Think I've found your problem mate. You're storing it upside down mate with the lid off

Finished this lady last night. Feel like I'm starting to get African skin tones down pat -- which is great considering looking at my backlog I won't be painting another black person for months. Oh well.

I like how the leather turned out here. The green, too, although I could've poised the highlight a step further. The coat is frankly an embarrassment though.

i really like that grass, how did you do that?

Just finished him, I don't know with what I should base him on. And can anyone tell me how to not have your phone's camera fucking up the colors? I have an Xperia E5 and the camera settings just either lose details or contrast the colors too much.

Your lighting is probably bad.

Uh, pretty basic stuff to be honest. I put down a layer of GW Stirland Mud across the whole base, then after that is dry I cover it with PVA glue and sprinkle green flock over it, tapping the mini over the flock bin to shake loose any that didn't hit the glue. In this case I also put on a grass tuft for some extra interest. Last thing is just paint the stripe of white to make it look like a football field.

Pretty basic stuff, but it works for me.

Can't help it. If I don't put too much lighting the camera can't pick up the details, if I do the camera fucks up the colors. I miss my old phone.

99% done. I ran out of brown paint to finish the trench walls, but other than that the board is done

Wow, that ended up looking really good! And now I realise you don't have any barbwires or sandbags, or bunkers. But I suppose those are easy to add in a modular fashion.
Congrats on a work well done, though!

I need brush recommendations, /wip/. I'm aware that a lot of people swear by Winsor & Newton brushes, but I'd like to hear from some people with more experience with different brushes before I go ahead and get new ones.

Pic related

They do, but it's not worth the money. The airbrush is a janky siphon feed double action, and the bundle compressor comes with a water trap only (no regulator). That said, the compressor wasn't terrible after I added a regulator; if you caught the compressor only (which does have a regulator, oddly) on sale and picked up something like a Neo, you might be OK. A comparable tanked compressor off Amazon really isn't much more, though.

I appreciate the effort but that does nothing for me I'm afraid...

Thanks, they look pretty good. I actually have a friend who plays Ad Mech so might be able to scrounge a few off him. Would be even easier if I learnt how to greenstuff the epaulettes on myself

a 40k version of pic related is going to represent some vengeance batteries on the tabletop

Needs the head from the Emperor's Champion

Reposting my Nurgley chaps.
Appreciate all kinds of input and especially any pointers regarding the usage of the paints Nurgle's Rot and Blood for the Blood God.

interestingly that photo is from WW1.
Obviously they still look very similar to the Napoleonic style, but they are different and about a century out of date.

I'm really struggling to accept this. The Fringed sheepskin and blanket roll suggests the 2eme Hussards, but her Shako and Jacket say infantryman.

3/10, would not pass muster.

hah, don't worry, I knew that. It's basically a hodge-podge of everything roughly from that time period that's vaguely french. But not in the grim 'Krieg' style, more flashy uniforms and horribly ugly french tank designs I first had the idea when I saw the Malcador Annihilator and was reminded of the Char B1 and other monstrosities the French came up with

Is that sir killalot from robot wars?

Kek

So are there any giant skull bits available? Like, "Khorne Lord of Skulls head" sized skulls, from some Fantasy giant or something? Preferably a humanoid one at that.

>Char B1
>ugly

That's actually what I asked for when I bought it

Is that age model?

*a GW model

Those look like scourge legs with a lot of greenstuff and recasted torsos

Haha! Time for converting!

Old GW painting guide has some goddamn gems in it. Why haven't you converted up a boxing dragon yet?

Hello my friend, I too buy random parts from toy soldiers and take screencaps using Puush.

Scourge legs with recast sisters of silence torso. What do you think?