What happened?

What went interesting?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=pLPZAfFVDlQ
youtube.com/watch?v=iXZXdWILMKA
twitter.com/AnonBabble

Please don't tell my supervisor!

They got better artists, who asked the writers more/better questions. Then this was built upon for 5 primary iterations across 30 years. In that time, Beholders have become among the most iconic and fucking awesome monsters in D&D, and only D&D, when they shouldn't fucking copywrite the beastiery names. Beholders are fucking cool and all of fantasy fiction should have more of them.

Floating cyclops head with medusa hair ending in eyeballs. Also viciously xenophobic and paranoid. Considers itself the true perfect pinnacle of its race, but every one of its race are so different. Some fleshy, some scaley, some chitonous, some with piercing teeth, some with human teeth but bigger.

Beholders are great mang. But they've had five editions to iterate them and have new teams try to grow the monster and its lore/themes. Beholders are just an example of them nailing it. Less valuable iterated monsters might include Driders, goblinoids, Chuuls. To a lesser extent the purple worm and the terrasque. They don't really get better but they never were bad and never got worse.

>terrasque
Gonna have to disagree on that one, they fucked up an awesomely weird monster.

Yeah, the original lion-dragon-turtle depiction of a tarrasque would be awesome to have in D&D.

The left one is more unsettling. The right one is vidya.

I went to the city were this statue is, it's in the south of France in a city named Tarascon

Also I'm starting to wonder if the french know what a dragon is suposed to look like.

God I'm fucking jealous. Never traveled outside my own country and it's shit.

Well, Tarascon is near the Mâs of my grandparents
I also visited Tarascon during the medieval festival and there was a battle (by actors ) at the gates of the Castle

What's your country

I really like the left pic though. Right pic beholder looks savage and mindless, which they aren't. Left pic looks smart and enigmatic, possessing lysterious powers.

I see your point, user, but at least for us who already knew Beholders were intelligent, we can imagine how hilariously pissed off the adventurers made the one on the right to get it looking like that.

>there was a battle (by actors )
Whoever else could it have been?

>Left pic looks smart and enigmatic
'Retarded and balding', more like.

Idunno, based on the good ol "Lords of Madness," Beholders are consumed by an extreme xenophobic of all things not them. It would be furious it has to lay eye on as filthy a creature as a human, let a lone of party of them, defiling it's lair with their unclean, imperfect forms. I mean, were talking about a creature that will devour it's children if they don't look enough like it. It may be smart, but it is not rational by human standards, and it is a creature ultimately consumed by hate.

I don't know maybe it could have been drunk people and police force

perhaps even xenophobic hatred, if I could be arsed to type like an intelligent being

Saxons

I don't know, but beholders are awesome, and I wish there were more of them.
I'll always remember the one from BG2's sahuagin city.

Right, OP is comparing a portrait and a battle painting.

Of course we do.
It's supposed to look like a waifu, duh.

Moors

>and only D&D
Pre-ubisoft Might and Magic also had Beholders.

So does Final Fantasy and a lot of old JRPGs. They just change the name to Peeper or Gazer.

This Gazer's from Dragon's Crown, which is unapologetically trying to be the third of Capcom's Mystara beat-em-ups.

Yeah but Might and Magic literally has Beholders, and they're called Beholders.

I'm not really sure how they didn't get into trouble for it.

Most old school JRPGs didn't bother with changing it, nor do they change it if it doesn't leave Japan.
Square knew they'd get in trouble for it when they started bringing stuff to the states. The first Final Fantasy is basically AD&D with JRPG rules and the "Big Eye" enemy was literally called Beholder in Japan. They had to change the art and name because that one was way too obvious. Like how Maralith had to be called Kary and the Piscodaemons and Mindflayers had to be called Wizards and Sorcerers.

>D&D terrasque has more in common appearance-wise with the Pokemon it inspired than the original monster

Bogleech was right; trying to make all the monsters look "scary" instead of "weird" ruined some of them.

How to RP Beholder, /v/?

>Tyranitar
>Inspired by the Terrasque
>Not Godzilla
wut

It's almost as silly as spelling Tarrasque with two e's.

It's based on a mix of Angiras and Godzilla, and Angiras is basically a Terrasque.

It's not an accurate comparison, but if you slipped a picture of a terrasque into a bunch of pictures of "realistic" Pokemon, I'd think it was suppose to be shiny Tyranitar or Tyrantrum.

Imagine Dale Gribble had all the power he could dream of and more, but still thought the gubmint was out to get him and he didn't have a Hank to keep him in line.

I knew nu-Veeky Forums had bad taste, but I didn't realise the full extent of the situation. The design on the left is elegant, it's simple and effective, it didn't need any improvement. Less is more, as the ultimate principle of aesthetics states. But of course the Jews at WotC had to ruin it forever to appeal to underage morons like you. You don't have the ability to appreciate the simple genius of the original design, you need some overdesigned abortion with hundreds of spikes and claws out the ass to satisfy your pathetically short attention span. Whereas the original design had tons of personality and subtlety, the new one is all in your face, so that even a braindead little kid can immediately get it: this is a scary monster! Boo! More like poo, right. You also have to appreciate the medium of toilet paper, it made the old books feel like genuine treasure maps. Quality paper they use these days just doesn't cut it, it makes the supplements look like fashion magazines for bored housewives, and their content is intended for their level of intelligence, too. Now that you have your answer, go play Age of Sigmar and don't you dare disturb me with your exceptional stupidity again.

Heroes 3 was basically Might and Magic: DnD. They even straight up cribbed the Gorgon bull design, while still having a "medusa" monster.

>Tarrasque
>Not inspired by godzilla to begin with
Please, man, be more basic.

>Being this pretentious
Here's your (you), now kys

Eh, I live in Montpellier, I hope you didn't skip on really interesting places in the region (i.e. Montpellier) to visit this shithole because of some plaster statue.

>four goblins on a worg

>Montpellyeah
>interesting
Jk

Goblins 2-4 were pissed at not getting to loot the worg first, so they just looted the goblin that had looted the worg.

Maybe running into you wasn't a risk he wanted to take (France is dangerous enough these days thank you).

I'm not gonna lie, the fucking Cover Beholder is one of the most creepy and eerie things they've done for monsters in D&D, and whenever I think of the Beholder's Great Mother, I think, -Yeah, that's her, a perfect spotless white orb that is frighteningly silent, graceful, white in colour and with red Lipstick like lips, kind of like that Magic the Gathering girl with the weird head and bone flesh/cenobite look.

The truth of the matter is that it's an egg of sorts, like a Kirby final boss, and the fucked up eldritch bullshit is inside of it's body.

As a beholder it combines the features of the highest specimens of the species, the spellstalks of beholder mages, and has that merger of arcane and Psionic as how it's bizzare magic absoprtion observation phisiology goes.

basically, it's a mass of compressed eyeball flesh.

As for it's voice, kind of like an emotionless Femme fatale, that is like the A.I from system shock's voice.

There's also a distinct "ringing" noise it makes when near.

what is this?

Keep your jealousy to yourself.

At least I'm not ashamed to name my country.

Judging from the title, a Neverwinter Nights 2 screenshot.

>At least I'm not ashamed to name my country.
Why would you think I'm ashamed? See this acting out is why nobody wants to visit you.

Charlemagne plz go
Plz stay go.

>Why would you think I'm ashamed?
Why, it's easy: because your country isn't France.
>nobody wants to visit you.
I fucking wish

>Why, it's easy: because your country isn't France.
France is a country now?

And yet the Japanese gave us the best interpretation in Dragon's Dogma.

How does it feel to be so inferior waito piggu?

>I fucking wish
I feel you, Finland isn't even a very poular tourist destination and tourists are still a scourge.
I can't even imagine how bad it is having to deal with the amounts that France gets.

>86 millions foreign tourists in 2016
Jesus. That's 20 more millions than there are French people.

I wonder how many it'll be in 2017 with all that's happening.

Small time. I used to lead walking tours in New York City. Times Square is hell on fucking Earth, and not even the mostly naked painted ladies could make up for it.

Uhm, where do you live, Rovaniemi? I haven't seen a single foreign tourist in my entire life.

This reminds me of a thread about a Beholder using magic to use armor like a body. Forgot the details, but it was an interesting thread nonetheless

I'm fairly sure he was mocking the attitude of certain posters

At first I got a little perturbed, but then I laughed.

Must be 18 to shitpost on Veeky Forums, kiddo.

>France is a country now?
Is this some obscure /int/ meme?

Ah, Méluisine. And all she wanted was to bathe in peace...

Yea it is Neverwinter Nights 2. My childhood goes to the first one. please, I'm too weak to be triggered.

youtube.com/watch?v=pLPZAfFVDlQ

Dragon's Dogma is great.

DRAGONS DOGMA HAS BEHOLDERS!?!?!? I've heard about its griffins and shit and put it on my to play list but it has fucking beholders?
fair point.
oh dont be like that.
I might be wrong on that one. First time I read about the terrasque was AD&D monster manual 2. I have no idea what he was before that, but since then he has been basically the same monster. 4th edition changed up his lore some but not his functions.

Holy shit bruh. Nice b8. You do recognize that the picture on the left could be cranked out for pennies in minutes while the right took likely over 5 hours and is worth hundreds. Purely on terms of artists effort put in. But if you wanna compare a simpler image, use this one. I feel it better captures the manic insanity of a beholder while still being less intricately detailed than the op.

Naw man. Pretending to be retarted ironically gets you pointed at too.

You can find them in Dark Arisen version. They teleport, fuck you with magic and munching.

Also, a boss is a collosal beholder.

>Of course I'm an adventurer, honest!

Like one of these.

>not reconizing this blatent banter
No user, chill.

I just found myself thinking "since when was this more attractive than this."
Then I felt shame.
Memes have ruined my brain.

Heroes 3 was Might and Magic 7: the turn-based strategy.

Might and Magic 7 and 8 were Might and Magic: DnD.

:bump:

Every time I see "Neverwinter", my mind seems to interpret the meaning as "Everwinter".

Is Narnia to blame?

Best version coming through.

Interesting bit: "Tarascon" means "big bite" in southern South America.

My personal favorite

The eyeball inside of the mouth is so unsettling

>Daleks are just degenerate beholders
That... actually makes a lot of sense.

youtube.com/watch?v=iXZXdWILMKA

you forgot the interesting bit

How do you RP a Drider?

>Tfw D&D added an actual monster called a Gazer that's a mini beholder-lite that can be used as a familiar
RIP this.
Unless you made it to be a tiny one of these, like sprite sized.

Considering my Driders are mutated vampires from the gift of Loth. Kinda tragic and predatory.

Round Beholders>Humanoid head ones