Question About Polearms

Hypothesis:

You can wield a shield and polearm provided the polearm is primarily used by thrusting and not slashing.

Ergo, you can use a shield with a spear, but not with a glaive.

Can any HEMAfags confirm?

Other urls found in this thread:

wiktenauer.com/wiki/Achille_Marozzo
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

Bumping with Spearman

You want book 4 polearms. Rotella and partisan.
wiktenauer.com/wiki/Achille_Marozzo

This is basically true. Its because a slashing head would bring to much weight to the end of the weapon, and because you have to weild such a long weapon with only one hand and an obstructing shield in the other it needs to be optimized for thrusting which is the most economical type of attack and easiest to recover from.

You can use short cutting/chopping/bludgeoning weapons with a shield because they are so much easier to handle. A long partisan would be lethargic in handling and easily bound to the side. A spear is the lightest polearm and can remain agile in the hand even if quiet long but you still must grip it close to the middle of the shaft and/or have a counter weight on the back to optimize its usefulness one handed.

Why do you ask silly questions? couldn't you just simply google it?
Technically speaking you could use a shield and a greatsword provided you have the strenght to do it.
You may want a short spear or glaive though, since you will have less strenght to apply to the lenght of the weapon.
Really it is all about how much performance you can get out of your strenght and the situation, usually in tight hallways you dont want something extremely long becouse you are going to struggle swinging the thing around, same with a very long spear. The only exception to this would be a spear formation in which all spears are set forward, thus charging it head on is suicide

>assuming the weight of a weapon without knowing the material it is made of or the lenght
also
>assuming all spears are lighter than swords

But according to the source this guy provided partisan is exactly what was used.

a partisan is an spear you mongoloid

Not him but a partisan in the context of marozzo is a specific type of spear, he makes a point to seperate the different types of spears such as partisans and spiedos. Different patterns and styles of heads are important and have entire sections in opera nova detailing their uses.

>Hypothesis:
>You can wield a shield and polearm provided the polearm is primarily used by thrusting and not slashing.
>Ergo, you can use a shield with a spear, but not with a glaive.
>Can any HEMAfags confirm?
op never mentioned anything about specific spear heads, he only talked about Spears in general, therefore I can only assume he meant all Spears in general and not a specific one

Well he did take the time to differentiate between spears and glaives, although a glaive is a type of sword. Being soecific is important if you want information on how certain weapons are used as each one has a different use

>a glaive is a type of sword
You wot m8
A glaive is a farming tool
What you mean is a military glaive, this things were not used for farming but combat, they were cheap re-purposed farming glaives, if you could get a spear you would use a spear, only a pleb would use a military glaive

Nigga what? Not dude you were talking with but I think you're getting scythe and glaive mixed up as terms

glaive
ɡlāv/
nounliterary
a sword.

i thinik you mean scythe, although a war scythe and a glave are rather similar given that a glave is large cleaver on a pole and war scythe is mearly a reinforced scythe with the blade inline with the shaft

yea

Just wanted to post this.

With a properly held shield, you can. A small-ish shield that is held with a double-strap (one strap on your palm/wrist and the other near elbow.) won't interfere with the polearm too much when held with both hands. The shield wouldn't fully protect your shieldhand's fingers though, but it would still add some protection.

Yeah, glaives distingished themselves from other spear heads by being basically a short sword onna stick.

Of course, that type of spearhead would later end up with additional elements added to it, such as a special set of spikes on the head of the blade whose purpose was to function as a hook for dragging mounted fighters off their horses as well as a tin-can opener for the platemail of downed knights.

OP here. What are the specific properties of the Partisan that Marozzo is concerned with? If I were following his manuals, what would be the necessary and sufficient conditions of a polearm to follow his instructions?

I listed them as two examples of polearm. I'm not specifically concerned with these two polearms as I am with my generalized hypothesis about polearm use.

I always find it hard to believe that historical people really considered these all seperate weapons. I can't help but think most people would have looked at, for example, the scythe, war scythe, sovnya, voulge and bardiche on the that image and given that they're all similar enough to be used in the same way, they'd have used one of those names for all of them. In another area, they might have used another name for all of them.

Using all these different names, especially with how fussy some faggots get about them makes me wonder if in hundreds of years time people will look at images of the modern day and argue over what model of mobile phone someone is holding, when everyone in the modern day just called it a fucking 'phone' and didn't give much of a fuck what exact model it was.

Bumping with animu girl from the newest Fire Emblem thing.

Anime flourish aside, how would a pole-axe type weapon work with a shield? There'd be no reason to not be able to swing it to use the axe part properly, would there?

It's a matter of leverage and angle. You just can't realistically maneuver well enough to utilise a slashing polearm using only one hand. You'd just get parried like a motherfucker, then boom, they're inside your guard because you cannot move the offensive part of your weapon quickly enough to react, and even if you could, it wouldn't have any force behind it.

I mean, you could still use a buckler or something with a more slashy or bulky polearm, but an actual shield with a glaive is right out unless you're superhumanly strong.

I fucking love ranseurs

Is there a sexier weapon in the world