/5eg/ Fifth Edition General: Mass Combat edition

>New Unearthed Arcana: Myst... Mass Combat? Huh.
media.wizards.com/2017/dnd/downloads/2017_UAMassCombat_MCUA_v1.pdf
>Don't forget to fill out the official survey for Warlocks and Wizards.
sgiz.mobi/s3/2c8ddcde043d
>New Plane Shift: Kaladesh
media.wizards.com/2017/downloads/magic/Plane-Shift_Kaladesh.pdf

>Official /5eg/ Mega Trove v4b
mega.nz/#F!z8pBVD4Q!UIJWxhYEWy7Xp91j6tztoQ

>Pastebin with resources and so on:
pastebin.com/X1TFNxck

>5etools
5egmegaanon.github.io/5etools/5etools.html

>Previously, on Veeky Forums...
You'll discuss new arcana anyway.

Other urls found in this thread:

media.wizards.com/2015/downloads/dnd/UA_Battlesystem.pdf
5egmegaanon.github.io/5etools/classes.html#Artificer (UA),
media.wizards.com/2016/dnd/downloads/1_UA_Artificer_20170109.pdf
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

I just finished reading this.
What are the differences of the old mass combat rules? It seems like the exact same shit

In fact the original had overall more options than the new one:
media.wizards.com/2015/downloads/dnd/UA_Battlesystem.pdf

At least we can finally say to WoTC what we really think about Loremaster Wizard. So, please do it, /5eg/.

>and we’ll take the things you don’t like and either toss them out or rebuild them

Yes, give those Loremaster features to Sorcerers.

Next week for the survey, we do nothing but REEEEEEE for the Mystic.

Hey user's I'm DMing a game where a player wants to do this for their character are there any risks involved with the Hexblade Bladelock multiclass?
>14 Eldritch Knight/3 Swashbuckler/3 Hexblade Bladelock Warlock

I never asked for this

THEY PROMISED US. THEY LIED AND GAVE US SOMETHING ELSE ENTIRELY.
THIS IS UNACCEPTABLE, FUCKING RRRRRRREEEEEEEEEEEEE

I made sure to spam GIVE MYSTIC in the survey
They can't just ignore us like that

why this

WHERE THE FUCK IS MY MYSTIC?
>HA HA GUYS WE'RE JUST PUTTING THE FINISHING TOUCHES ON MYSTIC IT'S GONNA BE GREAT
>Christmas time
>SORRY HAD TO DELAY MYSTIC UNTIL NEXT YEAR
>January
>UHHH WE'RE ON VACATION, MYSTIC SOON
>February
>IT'S PRESIDENTS' DAY, UA ON TUESDAY, YOU KNOW WHAT THAT MEANS :D :D :D :D
>a s s
>c o m b a t
FUUUUUUUUUUCK
YOOOOOOOOOOU

Mystic next week guys, don't worry hehehe.
Don't forget to fill out the survey, your feedback is very important for us.

I could have sworn we already had "large scale battle" UA rules.

ONE HUNDRED PERCENT MAD

My players are chasing after some fleeing frost giants in Icewind Dale after a failed attack on Bryn Shander. I'm trying to think of some occurrences that could happen to make it interesting.

I'm already thinking of having the two giants split up, one traveling to Bremen to bundle up all the plunder when they raided that town, while the other travels west to the awaiting longship to travel back to Svardborg.

I don't know how to treat it other than "you walk up to Bremen, which is a battered ghost town and find a frost giant hefting bulging sacks into a caravan cart" and "you spot the frost giant running across open field, in the distance a massive ship with sails as tall as towers is anchored off the coast."

I'M GONNA DO IT.

>There's no box for comments on the Raven Queen
Mad as hell about this, since it's the one I want to complain about the most.

Do you enjoy being drowned out?

Let's not be hasty here! What are your demands?

I also complained about it being way too setting-specific.
In the hexblade box.

>A wizard is a wizard, even in 5E!
I'm still pissed that the most powerful spells of each school aren't exclusive to the specializations. The majority of other casters have at least some of their spells determined by class option, and it was the perfect opportunity to make school specialization actually mean something.

Different scale: When Armies Clash uses a 20ft/20ft squares, the new Mass Combat uses 100ft/100ft, and is more straightforward.

Wouldn't be surprised if they're both in the as-of-yet-unnamed splatbook in the works, because in the end they both are meant to do different things.

This desu

I said the same thing in different words.

I have to wonder if they think that people bought SCAG for the setting details, rather than solely for the new character options. That might explain why they thought that the Raven Queen was even vaguely acceptable.

>Hhaha, we rewrote it from the scratch and the beloved Immortal doesn't exist anymore, now is just a subclass fo fighter with literally nothing because fighter frame is already stronk. Enjoy!

What offends me the most is that Raven Queen is not even a goddess from Forgotten Realms - you know, the default setting of 5e. She's not a goddess from Eberron or Darksun either - both pretty popular settings among players. She's not a godess from Greyhawk, which is somewhat of a meme, but still used to be a default one.
She's from Points of Light. A 4e setting that nobody liked. Why?!

I'm more mad that they realeased nothing new for Undying and Undying light

A read her fluff and just decided I'd use her as an archfey with her own special pact.

Nah. They still need a 13 in either STR or Dex for multiclassing fighter.
EK without INT can only rely on passive stuff.
Hexblade allows them to rely on Cha for weapon attacks but the best weapon they get is a quarterstaff.
I also don't see a point in going above lvl 7 in eldritch knigt since you'll mainly use Booming blade anywas.

It doesn't matter.
A vote is a vote! :^)

The Raven Queen was the most popular god from that generic 4e pantheon.

I know this is an unpopular opinion, but I started with 4e in the default setting and I think it's cool that they're referencing her.

Also can't it be adapted to any of the generic "god of death, but not specifically evil death" gods from other settings?

It's the ''Half-life 3'' meme of Veeky Forums.

Fuck psionics anyway.

>EK without INT can only rely on passive stuff.
>implying you don't pick EK just for Shield and Absorb Elements anyway

I'm getting a message that the wizards website is down for maintenance...was it one of you?

>Nobody liked
The Planar Handbook from 4e is one of the better setting supplements we got in a long time. Better than anything setting related released as a splat in 5e yet.

Hi

Oh, don't get me wrong, I think that the Raven Queen is cool as hell, and I appreciate her being referenced in 5E.

It's just not a good model for a warlock pact.

Maybe it has to do with the rise in popularity of Critical Role.

Well, it's not like they referenced anything outside of the PHB options, so it's not--
>The Seeker
Mad as hell again.

Some of you guys are alright. Don't go to wizard's site today.

It was me.

Group of friends playing dnd.
Roommate of my best friend is a douchebag.
A friend who we haven't seen in awhile comes back and we decide to play dnd together.

The old friend sucks at dnd. He can't RP well, he struggles to remember rules, he makes very poor decisions. But overall everyone has fun.

Other player is very... aggressive. Often mocks him for everything and jumps ahead of me to answer his questions. We've had a sit down and thins were fine for 2 sessions.

The new player becomes possessed by a banshee - acts flamboyant etc

Other party members talk about his unusual behavior- the other player just says he's a acting normal, bitchy and stupid.

New player quit mid session after he was knocked out, texted me he is done, let his character die. Later tells me why he quit, the above.

I'm a new DM, I thought I had settled it but it kind of exploded. It doesn't feel right that one player was bullied out. I'm half tempted to kick the other player out and invite him back.

Oh yeah, did Mercer ever talked about why he's using a Points of Light-inspired pantheon?

>undying
Okay flavour, shit abilities.
>undying light
Trash fluff, cool crunch.
Meh.

You have to be over 18 to post on Veeky Forums.

Don't know. The pantheon he uses it's a mix from many settings. I guess he just thought it was cool.

How do I build a wizard that's basically a walking siege machine

what are some extra-dimensional space items?

Bag of Holding
Bag of Devouring
Portable Hole
Handy Haversack

anything else?

Major Creation for creating rams.
Shatter for smaller targets.
Use wish to conjure a trebuchet

There was a 3-day festival at the town. The PCs played some of the games, got angry when they lost and started ruining other people's days. Came up with a plan to cheat. They started a "fake" fight, guards came and cornered them. They tried shooting the drow obviously, mage guards counterspell'ed etc etc. I stopped the game there.

Where do I go from here? 1 PC is already captured. 1 PC will take on 8 Guard NPCs, he'll fall obv. Some will chase the Drow but I'll fudge some spell to disable him. 1 PC is left but I don't think she'll fight.

I was thinking of throwing them into dungeon/jail at least until the festival is over and then they'll have their trial. Might be kept, executed, or exiled etc.

I just don't understand why they always have to do stupid fuck up bullshit. I've made it very clear that they were being watched, the festival was a once in a 4 year thing and people came from all around the region. They HAD to fuck up my stuff, obviously. Alas, I have to leave my frustration out of the game.

I don't want to kill them but the characters do this all the time and I think it's time consequences catched up to them. I was thinking they get thrown into dungeon and spend some time there, separated from each other.

The plan was that the town would be attacked during the final contest. I think a Pirates of the Caribbean style escape from the keep will be ok here. Thoughts?

Mold Earth
Catapult
Earthquake
Illusionist 14th level feature to make an illusory gate through the walls real for one minute

Lore wizard for 1 mile knock

Major creation what's that?

That's because the Seeker's going to be in the splat they're making, ya dingus.

Fuck, I got it wrong, the spells name is Fabricate.
Use it to create a ballista, then fire it or something. I wonder if it counts as a martial weapon.
Catapult using alchemical fire.
Control Winds to fuck up the enemy archers. Same for things like fog cloud and darkness.
>Illusionist 14th level feature to make an illusory gate through the walls real for one minute
Disintegrate is easier, no? You get it at level 10.

Stop being a nigger

It's... bad?
The Warlock multiclass would make sense if there was a 'smite with rapier' invocation. Alas, it doesn't exist, so what's the point? What is he going for?
Darkness + Devil's Sight?
That's bad, and will piss off the party if they can't see into magical darkness. Maybe so much that they'll sell their souls to his patron just to gain that same power.

Put them under a Greater Geas to do a quest in leiu of jail time

If your PCs are desperately trying to derail your campaign by acting like they're invincible, show them that they aren't. Have the worst offender executed in front of them. Maim a couple of the others and actually give them consequences for it (a wizard that cast a witch bolt at a guard has his hand cut off).

It's okay to go off the rails, but they're playing like jerks.

Looking for character suggestions. We are running a lvl 6 campaign with low magic. No full casters allowed. So for we have a polearm vengeance paladin, a fighter/monk, and a hob goblin bomb dropping artificer flying around on a giant mechanized bat.

Im thinking of making some kind of sniper character maybe. What would you guys build at lvl 6 with no full casters?

>because fighter frame is already stronk
GWM is strong, Fighter is nothing. No one gets third and fourth attacks, and the fourth attack is shit compared to plenty of other capstones. Doesn't do dick to stop the Fighter from being piss-boring and useless outside of combat, either.

>hob goblin bomb dropping artificer flying around on a giant mechanized bat

How many times your DM hit him with the nerf bat?

Are Warlocks ok? Maybe if you multiclass with non-casters?
You could snipe with a Moon Bow, and have a ranged smite.
Something like Fighter 1/Warlock 3 would give you the base of the build (combat style and invocation), for the other levels consider you'll eventually need extra attack and something to do with your bonus actions. Also, since RAW they stack, that other combat style that gives +1 to ranged attacks and removes disadvantage at close quarters.

His arch nemesis is also a human artificer with a spider fetish who worships lloth referring to her as madame web.

Yer mum's vag

no, warlocks get access to lvl 9 spells so he's not allowing them.

>have terrible day
>come home and see Mass Combat is out
>day gets worse
>go back to work
>even more terrible shit happens
i wish i were a halfling diviner with lucky irl

>nobody liked
>it's what the most popular D&D stream uses
Okay.

That's from LoL, right?

I think he's going for Green Goblin and Spiderman

Mercer, stop shilling your videos.

Shit, didn't thought about it.

>low magic
>but with a dota 2 character in a party
Your DM seems like a retard.

Not even if you multiclass so you won't have higher spells than a paladin or ranger? Boring.
Then how about Fighter 1/Rogue 3? Usually I'd rather assassinate with a greataxe, but bows
>have a nice big damage dice too
>allow Sharpshooter
>can stack magical bonuses with ammunition, that your artificer will eventually be able to produce in abundance (he can already do +1 ammo)
>doesn't waste the Sneak Attack

Personally I think it's because of godly bloat. There's a god for nearly every damn kind of creature in the default setting. It's not necessary

Btw, wtf - isn't the Artificer a Wizard subclass?
and the DM is allowing THAT?

5egmegaanon.github.io/5etools/classes.html#Artificer (UA),
Where the fuck have you been?

> Halfling diviner with Lucky

my nigga

i dont play dota 2. which character?

That link leads to nothing, to the empty void where no class resides.
Is this a trick of some sort? Am I being bamboloozed?

Welp
Back to
>every thread
now since WotC are dirty liars.
Batrider

media.wizards.com/2016/dnd/downloads/1_UA_Artificer_20170109.pdf
Nigga you dumb.
Link is fine

EK is shit as fuck as a caster, it's basically a fighter with Shield, and that's it, nothing more, why? because wotc thinks "figther stronk!" therefore the subclass must have almost nothing interesting.

here user. This is the artificer they're using

There are even 2 robo bat mounts for him.
I mean, I guess there is nothing exceptionally wrong about it since Dota 2 characters don't, well, really have a defined character, but it's really fucking weird for a low magic setting. Low magic usually implies mundane stuff and low fantasy, so a goblin pyrotechnic on a robot bat seems a bit odd.

yeah i specifically asked about multiclassing to avoid the higher lvl spells, but he wouldnt have it

no wizards warlocks sorcerers druids clerics or bards. I think everything else is ok.

No, they only get access to lvl 4 spells at lvl 20 if i remember correctly. actually lower magic than rangers or paladin who i think get up to lvl 5.

>She's from Points of Light. A 4e setting that nobody liked
Hey, PoLand is awesome. It's a shame the Raven Queen lives in it, but you can just ignore her. Use some other death god.

Yeah, if you think about it Mercer's setting only has 6 deities on the main continent (7 if you count Tiamat, 8 if Orcus has achieved godhood), while the PHB has 37 for Forgotten Realms and the SCAG has even more for the same setting. Jesus, why does it need so many gods?

Just read Geas. So you suggest the Archmage of this town casts a modified/higher version of it so they can't clear the curse. "Enjoy the festivities, join some games, overall have a good time without causing trouble or inconvenience to this town or its visitors." Sounds cool. Need to capture them first.

They are trying to have fun without regard to anything else. Borderline chaotic evil murder-hobos. Steal anything they want, threaten and torture as they see fit. They are making enemies everywhere they go. It kills the campaign sadly, I keep asking if they want to play an evil campaign but they refuse. I don't want to just have them beheaded but I can't think of other punishments.

HUGE festival and they are causing trouble. Dungeon for sure. They will get a hefty fine and maybe lose some of their items. It's a dick move to do as a DM but I feel like I'm losing the reins.

Your first link seriously didn't work.
Thank you!

They have two methodologies for making gishes:
>take caster class
>give it more HP and AC
>give it extra attack or something similar
>more magical bullshit that increases its damage in melee and ranged for some reason
>zero reduction in spell capability, just Caster+++
and
>take martial class
>throw away all the archetype features that actually let it do interesting things
>replace with two spells from existing spell lists per long rest and new spell levels every six fucking levels or something
>HA HA BUT YOU'LL GET TO CONCENTRATE ON HASTE FOR YOURSELF!!
>at level fucking 13, where no one is playing

Don't forget to do the survey.

Yeah, im pretty sure he's trying to play the Spiderman villain Green Goblin. His arch nemesis is a super strong human inventor who worships lloth. Plus the artificer despite being a magic inventor has lower magic output than the other half casters like paladins and rangers.

Also idk if the setting is low magic, I think he might just be banning us from playing casters

Have them publicly punished as part of the festival's entertainment. They could be locked into stockades, or set up in a dunk booth.

>Also idk if the setting is low magic, I think he might just be banning us from playing casters
What a pussy.

Why is there no other race that gives +2 INT? I get that there is currently only Wizard and part of Artificer but what if I want to not play a gnome?

Bladesinger doesn't have more HPs though

Its not actually EK its this class. Which is like EK but with more war magic,less HP, and no extra attack.