BBEG ideas

BBEG ideas

>The bad guy knows that the world is a balance between good and evil and that too much of either will destroy the world
>He's trying to destroy everything by doing too much good

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=PfYnvDL0Qcw
youtube.com/watch?v=yE8C1WWixgc
youtu.be/K-kYiDbG39s
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

>The BBEG is one of the PCs from the distant future trying to stop him from destroying the world.

>the BBEG is frustrated with people using the term BBEG to describe him

>The BBEG is an Aquaman-tier hero from The Good Old Days who thinks modern villains have lost their way, and therefore intends to demonstrate proper villainy by being as trope-y as possible.

>BBEG

No thanks.

Found him!

I'd be very amused with this

>The bad guy is a delusional fanboy who sees reality through the lens of fiction even when it doesn't make sense.
>He think he's the hero and ends up being a villain through sheer incompetence and stupidity.

Aqua Man would be too much on the nose, maybe call him Sea Man?

>the bad guy isn't trying to be a bad guy
>it just kinda happens when he does things

>BBEG isn't actually evil but was cursed by the actual BBEG to have everyone believe that he was indeed the BBEG and his efforts to find a countercurse keep being interupted by random parties thinking he's up to some nefarious plot.

>BBEG is fighting a cabal of bankers who's manipulating the good guys from destroying its nation

>Attempts to steal an ancient artifact that has ties to an eldritch abomination of plot hook
>Just wants to destroy it
>Turns out destroying it breaks the seal and releases the beast
>oops

Just report and move on

Don't feed the trolls

>The BBEG has a bad case of the Don Quixote
>He wrecks the countryside and the entire land in his maddened pursuit of dangers perceived instead of actual ones
>His henchmen go along with it, just because he pays good

>The BBEG is a medical doctor. Not a mad scientist, but a regular MD masquerading as a warlord.

Is he trying to get paid by fixing all the wounded?

>BBEG is simply too powerful to do anything in his daily life without accidentally destroying shit and raising the dead

Croaker?

youtube.com/watch?v=PfYnvDL0Qcw
Vid Related?

>BBEG is a mastermind on a scale so large the players have difficulty comprehending just how far reaching their web of influence is
>PC's affected negatively by his operations
>BBEG had no intent of this, was just a byproduct of his actions
>In actuality the PC's are going after someone who may one of the major sustaining factors of national (or galactic) political stability

>BBEG is just a bored wizard minorly annoying everyone in the country

seaman... unironically

those evil red shields

>The BBEG is the Blood Ravens in their entirety.

>the BBEG has no conscious control over her powers
>she's terrified of the heroes and is physically manifesting the fear as a horde of freakish nightmare monsters

I would play the shit out of this campaign, if the GM portrayed him well.

You could even start the first session with a fight against him, as when he wins, he'll obviously put us all in an elaborate death trap that we'll barely escape.

The BBEG didn't spend five years in an evil medical school to be called Mr.

bump

A lich that doesn't actually kill or hurt anyone else by his own hand.

He's instead a brothel owner and part-time magical blacksmith who makes sure his concubines get knocked up, and when they do get knocked up, he sets up each kid in unique adventurer's backstory situations where they are forced to come across him (while he's disguised as a wise mentor) and he tells them where their real parents are. Sometimes he says they're evil or not, and every time always gives them a magic weapon fitting who he "groomed" them into being, and says how it's an ancient and powerful heirloom.

Somehow, no one's figured out his giant adventuring ponzi scheme and there's just thousands of murderhobos across the planet randomly killing people based on arbitrary favors-for-favors-for-favors quests.

But why? What's his end goal?

Beyond a clumsy deconstruction of classic fantasy topes

You live for a few centuries and try not to get bored. He probably thought there'd be a lot more adventurers he'd get to fight after he completed the ritual, realized that wasn't going to happen, and is trying to Law of Large Numbers his way into an actual fight. Presumably at one point or another, 5 of those adventurers would realize they're being played.

They don't, the actual party has nothing to do with the entire affair.

>BBEGs are the goddesses Fate/Destiny and Choose/Will
>And they fucking hate each other, willing/fated to do whatever it takes to get rid of the other because they have to/want to do it.
>The heroes must are force to side with one or the other
>It is your goddesses' will/your fate to take up arms against the other's supporters in a never ending war

The arc villian is the dice.

Yeah, the fuckin dice you know the one, the douchebag that rolled that one on the will save? The one that let that goblin hit your knee and cripple you?

They are BAD DICE and their dickery must STOP.

>The god of evil and monsters just wants to encourage the rise of heroes, give them something to do, and provide a clear sense of purpose without muddying things up or making things vague.

>medical doctor refuses to let anyone die under his watch, preferring to subdue countries and enemies using non-lethal means due to the hippocratic oath.

This somehow reminds me of a recent sub-plot of "Grand Warlock of the Magus world".
The MC sets up a group of "heroes" he tutors through minor magic items (ghostly grandpa in a ring) and uses them in an experiment just to capture other powerful mages and to create a magic item to forsee the future.

>the Not!Babylonian faction of elves believe they are the children of the gods, rightful inheritors of alll the world. Under leadership of their king-priest they set out to exterminate all other elves and subjugate all non-elves.

>this is literally the case for my Black Crusade space marine character
Are you my DM?

I'm sorry, what?

>The BBEG Lich cast a powerful scrying spell to understand reality better.
>Realizes he's a monster, and ultimately destined to be destroyed in the campaign.
>Further realizes that once the true gods- the players and the dm- get bored or finish the adventure, their world will cease to be.
>Starts realizing he is a sum of Hit Points, spells per day, AC, special attacks.
>Sets up quests so that the PCs will always arrive just in the nick of time, find the cure for the uncurable disease, resurrect the dead kitten, etc.
>All so they can die happy.

>A shapeshifter whose kind has been oppressed for generations. In seeking retribution he kills the king and impersonates his heir. He passes laws that gradually loosen the societal grip on shapeshifters, unwittingly unleashing all the unsavoury ones as well as the ones who just got lumped into the same category as the murderers and thieves purely by virtue of being shapeshifters.
Honestly I'm not sure if I just created an Big Bad or a Big Good.

>Big Good
>Game where players are part of a shapeshifters spec ops team
>Their job? Bring down unsavoury shapeshifters
>Naturally, they're all shapeshifters themselves
>The most paranoia inducing game ever

I like it.

Man that stuff was rad!

Didn't know Eliphas the Inheritor browsed Veeky Forums. Makes sense now that I think about it.

Say hello to Mr. Oven, you evil-roller!

Just change the passphrase once in a while after short quiz. And don't forget your tinfoil hats in case they are telepathic.

>He's trying to destroy everything by doing too much good

That should cancel out by all of his evil decisions re. trying to destroy the world, so he can be safely ignored.

You read The Last Hero?

>"BBEG"

Bleh.

>Mind-Breaking BBEG that is a minor eldritch horror in a fantasy setting

I'm so original

The BBEG is radically obsessed with peace, prosperity, equality, and fundamentally opposed to war, corruption, incompetence and evil. He condones using violent and unlawful means to dethrone evil.

Except that's just his gimmick, he doesn't really give a shit about anything, he has severe ideological and existential insecurities and tries to compensate for it by acting like a bleeding heart humanist. He can't stand criticism and will try and deflect any verbal opposition through virtue signalling and shaming.

>The BBEG actually just wants to make everything better for everyone in his country

>Too much good will destroy the world

This idea is bad and anyone who uses it should feel bad.

>The BBEG is an Aquaman-tier hero

So...an incredibly powerful individual, an upper-tier monster of a man, who is additionally ruler of most of the planet and has access to incredibly advanced technology and millions of loyal Atlantean subjects? And who is a top-tier psychic who can control any sea creature and induce seizures in anything with a brain that evolved from a sea creature (i.e., everything?)

How Aquaman is *perceived* and how strong he actually *is* have never lined up well. Try and remember, for example, that Aquaman can swim at the deepest parts of the ocean with no problems. In the Mariana Trench the pressure is 8 tons per square inch. A person who can stand there with no problems is the equivalent of a person who can lift 48 jumbo-jets over his or her head.

This also makes his skin bulletproof except at its thinnest points (around the skull), and even then his bones are bulletproof, too, meaning that shooting him in the head will just piss him off.

This also translates into him having the classic Superman ability to leap tall buildings in a single bound and be faster than a locomotive when he wants to be.

In the "powerhouse" JLA lineup of Superman, Green Lantern, Wonder Woman, Aquaman, Martian Manhunter, The Flash, and Batman, Aquaman is indeed the second-weakest hero, after Batman. But the gap there is immense, and Aquaman stands head and shoulders over everyone else.

>Superman
>Green Lantern
>Wonder Woman
>Flash
>Martian Manhunter
>Aquaman
>Batman
Did I get the order right?

>Second weakest
It all depends on the application of his foremost power.

Arguably Green Lantern is stronger than Superman, since under the right conditions he can create artificial Kryptonite with all the same properties as regular Kryptonite. But that's variable, and besides which he has nothing on Superman's speed.

Martian Manhunter is potentially stronger than even Superman, on top of his psychic and phasing abilities. However his weakness to friggin' fire, of all things, does put a bit of a damper on his power ranking.

The Flash is, theoretically, the most powerful being in the entire universe, although in practice there's a lot of rules governing what he can and can't do.

I'd rate it:

>The Flash (if he was serious and decided he hated you enough that he wants to end you)
>Batman (with prep time) / Superman (has the Complete Package, wherein his weakness in any one area is made up for in other areas)
>Green Lantern (wields the most powerful weapon in the universe but is limited to normal human reaction times)/Martian Manhunter (Superman-tier but with a really, really shitty weakness)
>Wonder Woman (Mostly due to the limited range of her powers compared to the above two, but it is an exceedingly narrow thing)
>The Flash (under most circumstances)
>Aquaman (But he also has a power that no one else has - DIPLOMATIC IMMUNITY!)
>Batman (no prep time)

>'Evil' Wizard that had taught the present King when he was a child
>Got mad over the King being a jock and not paying attention
>Became 'evil' after summoning a succubus and falling in love with her
>They moved into a nice volcanic lair to settle down, even adopted a pet dragon and some goblin minions
>'Kidnaps' the King's daughter just to fuck with him, and tries to teach her how to rule in the mean time
>When the good guy shows up he plays everything up as a cooky stronghold full of traps
>Never fights the hero in a straightforward manner or even with minions, just creates semi-elaborate magical puzzles where they have to find the princess
>Is entirely fine when the protagonist(s) find her, asks if they want to stay for dinner.
>He does this every Thursday

A construct that was given the purpose to protect as many sentient lives as possible and now wishes to eliminate all life to prevent them from making offspring that will eventually die as well.

Stamp collecting ai

I prefer villains over BBEGs.

TVTropes please go and stay go

The BBEG is just a kind of villain. The one ultimately in charge or responsible for everything.

The term doesn't even originate with TVTropes. It started with Buffy.

No, it's a type of villain that demands the story to be centered around them, an inflexible idea. I bet you're going to say something like "but you can have more than one BBEG" or "you can just have a new BBEG", but then it's not a BBEG, but just a villain.

I always bank on Aquaman being stronger than Wonder Woman.

He can semi-Mind control people in a non-telapathic way and he's just as much a Warrior as Diana.

BBEG does mean Big Bad Evil Guy, right? I'm not going crazy here?

Both terms are either inflexible or make assumptions on the character of the person in question that are not necessarily true (but often are). For example, BBEG and villain as words both have evil connotations. A more accurate term would be primary antagonist, which makes no assumptions on the identity of who or what it refers to by itself, and there are no rules that state that you can't have more than one of them.

he give you the worm

the worms are good
worms are life
take the worm(s)

>Batman
>Superman
>Flash
>Green Lantern
>Wonder Woman
>Martian Manhunter
>Aquaman
Batman is boring as fuck because his power is essentially plot armour. He can go toe to toe with superman essentially because reasons.

Oh, don't worry, you're probably crazy, but you're also correct. Shitposters have just found that disparaging a term no one thought much of anything about before is easy bait they can post between 3.5-guments and Martial VS. Caster threads.

You'll note that they'll provide just enough of an argument that they can garner replies, then they'll change the definition of BBEG to mean something even more narrow and niche to support their argument.

BBEG can just as easily mean the corrupt mayor from the first five sessions as it can the Evil Emperor that's ruled the land with an iron fist for decades. It's just a quick acronym that gets the character archetype across.

Actually, it's kind of funny, because in the end it's a bunch of idiots trying to push their definition of the word on everyone, then proceed to rant on why they hate that word because it has that definition.

>Kills millions...
>To save billions

I think the worst part of this whole "BBEG" thing is the lengths people go to try and defend it.

>You'll note that they'll provide just enough of an argument that they can garner replies, then they'll change the definition of BBEG to mean something even more narrow and niche to support their argument.

Actually, it's the reverse. Everyone knows that most people don't know what a BBEG is and just use it interchangeably with "villain", but the whole "It's a special kind of villain" came about when people complained about how there's really no point to the phrase. Basically, it came from people trying to defend the phrase.

At the end of the day, it's a silly-sounding phrase that people perpetuate because they think it's some kind of special club jargon. It is absolutely unnecessary, and arguing that "BBEG is faster than typing villain" doesn't mean anything when boss is readily available and you don't even have to reach for the shift key.

>No, it's a type of villain that demands the story to be centered around them

Actually I'm just going to provide the TVTropes definition that you never read before you decided that you hated it (although technically the term in TVTropes is just "Big Bad")

>The cause of all bad happenings in a story. The Big Bad may either be personally responsible for the events, or the biggest force in opposition of the hero's goals. A Big Bad could be a character with Evil Plans or it could be an omnipresent situation, such as a comet heading towards the Earth. In a serial story, the Big Bad often exerts an effect across a number of episodes, and even an entire season. In a standalone cinematic story, their presence drives the plot.

It's not an "inflexible idea", it's a name applied to a common trope. It's no more inflexible than a Phillip's head screwdriver - it's a tool. Sometimes you need a Phillip's head screwdriver, and sometimes you need something else. Sometimes a story needs a Big Bad, and sometimes it doesn't.

You just don't like TVTropes because it has the audacity to not only recognize that there's nothing new under the sun, but to actually name recurring elements and themes so as to categorize them for easy identification.

>A more general

Fixed that for you. A Big Bad is a specific kind of primary antagonist. All Big Bads are primary antagonists, but not all primary antagonists are Big Bads.

> and there are no rules that state that you can't have more than one of them.

There are no rules that state you can't have more than one Big Bad, either. Or more than one screwdriver.

Tropes are tools. Nothing more, nothing less.

>Everyone knows that most people don't know what a BBEG is and just use it interchangeably with "villain"

I've never known a single person to use BBEG interchangeably with villain, so, that's wrong.

You're conflating two separate terms together. Similar, but separate.
I'm also not the guy who said anything about tvtropes.

Also, the trope definition doesn't even work, because the "Big Bad" was used in Buffy just to refer to the villain of a season, and not the actual cause of all bad happenings in the story.

That's shit though. He works better as a guy whose power is "YOU CAN TALK TO FISH?!?". Otherwise he's just superman, but he can only fly inside water and is psychic.

Too bad Cthulhu has LITERALLY nothing to do with any sea creature to be found whatsoever.

You probably just assume they are using your personal definition. It's not until they say something like "The players beat the BBEG and then had to fight his master" that you realize that they don't know what a BBEG is.

But, it happens often on Veeky Forums, where people talk about multiple BBEGs without realizing that's not how it works.

And "soon" used to mean "immediately, at this moment", not "at some indeterminate point in the future". The definition of a Mary Sue also used to be much more narrow when it was originally coined in the 70s.

Words and phrases change meaning over time, but TVTropes has become a repository that will probably solidify what "Big Bad" means. It's read and used widely enough that I certainly take it as having more authority on the matter than some random user on Veeky Forums.

>You're conflating two separate terms together

I absolutely am not. I'm using the definition straight from TVTropes. Perhaps "Big Bad" is just broader than you thought it was.

The BBEG is the apprentice of the old BBEG, and the old one has been imprisoned in a magical artifact that the heroes find early on. If they take its advice, they will have an easier time defeating nuBBEG, and (when he is defeated) oldBBEG will be released from his imprisonment and reclaim his old form, and the players will have a [Social] opportunity to prevent a fight, and if they choose not to, they will be sent away to recover before a final showdown because oldBBEG has grown to like them, despite their opposing goals.

>He works better as a guy whose power is "YOU CAN TALK TO FISH?!?".

Look, some of us have actually been collecting his comics for years and know that he has always been a top-tier mover and shaker in DC comics...and some of us base everything we know off of The Superfriends and assume that Superfriends is the only version of the character to exist.

The latter group is retarded.

>Too bad Cthulhu has LITERALLY nothing to do with any sea creature to be found whatsoever.

In DC comics he does.

>The players beat the BBEG and then had to fight his master

That's called a Greater Scope Villain. Who can become a Big Bad as the story progresses.

In Episode IV, Darth Vader and Grand Moff Tarkin were the Big Bads, while The Emperor was the Greater Scope Villain. By the time Episode VI had rolled around, Vader had become The Dragon to Palpatine, who had taken over as the Big Bad.

Are you sure it's me or the term that's inflexible? Because it definitely seems like you.

(The reason nuBBEG and oldBBEG are both used here is that oldBBEG was the well-known villain of the setting until deposed, and the party is unaware of his identity until he is freed)

So, you agree that the argument that BBEG is useful is ridiculous, because people have taken what is an acronym without any inherent meaning and through natural decay allowed it to become a pointless piece of jargon that simply alienates and confuses people?

I'm glad we've settled on that.

This is literally an example of someone not knowing what a BBEG is.

Not really. Either one of them or the other is the final boss of the campaign, depending on your choices.

Not at all. You've got a BBEG and his apprentice. The BBEG isn't just the final fight you have.

Isn't that the plot of Fire emblem Radience?

>I absolutely am not.

"Big Bad" and "Big Bad Evil Guy" are not the same thing.

>Big Bad Evil Guy
>Not Big Bag Enemy Guy

technically flash when serious can beat pretty much anyone on that list, speedforce stronk
also Aquaman is the strongest (naturally strong) human, that's pretty impressive but i guess that can also be said about krillin
Martian Manhunter is way better than supes, he just has jobbed for ages

>the bbeg is one of the heros from the future
>hes just trying to delay them from destroying the macguffin which sacrificed the heros in the process of saving the land in the vain hope that theres another way
>he cant reveal this until hes dying or the macguffin will activate
he just wants to see his friends again

>Autists arguing over arbitrary terms
Can't we just mess around with stupid plot ideas?

Martian Manhunter's weakness is something Superman can shoot from his eyes on a whim and against which being incorporeal doesn't protect him. I don't think he can take Superman.

>also Aquaman is the strongest (naturally strong) human

Earthling, not human. Aquaman is only half-human.

Speaking of, something I'm really worried about with the DCEU movies...Aquaman was born on the surface and raised by humans, and only later in life went to Atlantis. I'm going to be very pissed if he's portrayed as being more familiar and comfortable with Atlanteans and doesn't "understand" human norms.

>villain doesn't hate the world, he just has really bad PR
>heroes are throwing out propaganda left, right, and centre

Supes doesn't shoot fire from his eyes, just heat, Remember, the weakness to fire is a psychological thing which the H'ronmeer Curse basically amped up to a jillion. J'onn explicitly survived.

He works better as a guy whose power is heart youtube.com/watch?v=yE8C1WWixgc

At least two character's per party will attempt to fuck her.

youtu.be/K-kYiDbG39s

FINALLY someone points that out.