Cantal vieux is already a hard cheese, if kept properly, it can last up to a year and a half without spoiling

>Cantal vieux is already a hard cheese, if kept properly, it can last up to a year and a half without spoiling
Is this the perfect food for adventurers?

>Not lembas bread.
>Not anything dried.
Why?

>Not just eating any monsters you kill.

Do you even adventure?

Go to bed Laius.

>not just eating everything you kill

>Not being a lich and not eating anything ever again.

>not casu marzu
maybe for the low level pleb

>not just eating everything

Literally any hard cheese can do that, and I'd pack a Beaufort or an Abondance over a Cantal.

It's what I do when I go hiking.

No there's stuff I have to eat.

Pemmican and hard tack

>if kept properly
>adventurers

A leather satchel regularly dosed with blood, mud, rain, arrows and bludgeoning is not a suitable environment.

Better to go with shorter lived goods that can withstand rigours better.

And a dipping oil or other stool softening food, you really don't want constipation when adventuring.

soylent powder
salted / smoked anything
pickled anything
(live) turtles

We dont speak french around here, go back to your country.

>ctrl+f
>"meatbread"
>0 results

>if kept properly
You mean like, "stuffed into a satchel, jostled frequently, set on fire, dropped off a cliff, and submerged in fetid swampwater"?

>country
Oh larde darr frechy, with yor fancy "ou", it¨'s spelled contry in murkuh!
like color and armor.

As long as it's nutritious and survives adventurer conditions ANY food is good enough. It's the whole reason the prestidigitation cantrip exists, to flavor food.

Meatbread would be god awful for traveling. It combines the worst attributes of meat and bread, when it comes to long term storage. You'll be lucky if its still edible in a week without refrigeration.

Hard bread, pickled veggies and salted meat is the perfect food as long you drink enough water.

That's for necromancers

Well, a French cheese so yeah, most of those go without saying

>Better to go with shorter lived goods that can withstand rigours better.
I would assume it can still hold up quite well in suboptimal storage conditions, just not "year and a half" well.

But your core point is sound: For adventuring, maximal shelf life isn't necessarily the sole desirable trait for your rations. Something that would keep more on the order of a few months is more than adequate, and if it's lightweight and durable that'd be more preferable than a heavier or more fragile food with longer shelf life.

>not picking Comté.

I like smoked sausages made from goat gut, filled with eggs, wheat, garlic and onions, all minced up.

Some medieval places made sausages of assorted leftovers, both vegetables and meat, as a way to preserve food.