EDH/Commander General

Land Destruction edition

Previous thread: RESOURCES

>Official Site: Contains deck building rules and the current ban list.
mtgcommander.net

>Deck List Site: You can search for decks that other people have made. Authors often have comments that explain their deck’s strategy and card choices.
tappedout.net

>Another resource for commander discussion; they have an entire forum dedicated to discussing decks. People often make primers, which go into detail about how they built and play their deck.
mtgsalvation.com/forums/the-game/commander-edh

>Statistically see what everyone else puts in their commander decks based on what is posted to the internet.
edhrec.com/

>Find out what lands you can add to your deck, sorted by category, based on a chosen Commander’s color identity.
manabasecrafter.com/

CARD SEARCHING

>Official search site. Current for all sets.
gatherer.wizards.com/

>Unofficial, but has GOAT search interface.
magiccards.info/

>Thread question
How do you feel about land destruction?

Other urls found in this thread:

tappedout.net/mtg-decks/once-you-go-black-rose-1/
tappedout.net/mtg-decks/lovisa-of-the-barbars/
abugames.com/shop.cgi?command=search&log=1&cardname=Swamp&edition=172&displaystyle=list&x=34&y=14
abugames.com/shop.cgi?command=search&log=1&cardname=Plains&edition=24&displaystyle=list&x=57&y=12
abugames.com/shop.cgi?command=search&log=1&cardname=Island&edition=30&displaystyle=list&x=55&y=6
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

>MLD
Its fine if you can win the game in the next two or three turn afterwards. Complete asshole move if you cant.

Anyway, Im building Jarad self mill and reanimator and I need some suggestions. Nyx Weaver, Splinterfright, etc.

>From previous thread

I am building a Sydri deck based on animating artifacts, but I wanna add in some combos.

Would these be too oppressive for a fairly casual meta? Too many for such a group?

For tutors I have Fabricate,Treasure Mage, Trinket Mage, Trophy Mage, no black ones.
For protection I have Leonin Abunas, Padeem, Consul of Innovation (no lattice).

>Question

I am for MLD, but only when you have a winning position/hand. Someone blowing up all lands and then durdling for 10 minutes is unbearable.

Centaur vinecrasher could be pretty good if you're running a lot of lands

Sewer nemesis can let you kill the whole table with Jarad's ability if you chose the right player, often times yourself.

So everyone in /edhg/ says R/W has it rough.

What about G/W?

i like em and they're quite casual so there shouldn't be a problem. maybe cut exsanguinate because it seems kinda lame like exquisite blood + sanguine bond

>playing shattergang jund goodstuff
>have gitgud and red Omnath in play
>cast wave of vitriol
>I run 3x of each basic just so I don't get btfo by it
>oh yes sweet triggers
>rest of table mad as fuccc
>have anger in the GY
>swing with 9 new elementals plus Omnath and gitgud, alpha strike the fuck out of the Karlov life gain douche because I know he has sovereign/test of endurance
>the Breya player has nothing because of wave, he draws and passes
>the monoblack player is a dumb enough bastard to cast crux of fate
>eat 10 lightning bolts retard
>drop him to 4 life
>cast titania, still have anger in GY, kill monoblack idiot
>Breya scoops
Land destruction is underrated desu. Especially if you have cards to take advantage of it

>How do you feel about land destruction?
More people need to run targeted LD to take care of problem lands. As for Mass LD, it's a frustrating but acceptable wincon; if you're just wiping out the lands because "dude long games LMAO", fuck you.

Thanks; I am thinking of taking out Contraband Kingpin as no one will want to wait as I rearrange my deck.

Exsanguinate, I guess is not too interesting to just kill everyone at once.

Deadbridge Chant.

G/W is pretty solid. The problem that R/W has is that it sputters on card advantage- white's card draw is clunky, expensive, or narrow, and red's tends to be in the form of looting/rummaging, or wheels. Hard to get positive card draw. You also have to lean really hard on artifact ramp.

Swapping green in for red gets you access to WAY better card draw and WAY better acceleration, as well as notably MORE and notably BETTER options for Commanders and overall strategies.

Dude, it shouldn't take you very long to resolve a Scry 1, even if you're getting 2 and 3 per turn. If it's good, keep it. If it's bad, ship it.

With the combo it is scry 1 infinite times.

Which means you Scry once, repeatedly.

It does not mean you scry your whole deck. Scry 1 does not let you reorder your deck; at best, it lets you scry everything away until you get to a specific card.

>Not doom blading Omnath then cruxing

Come on mono b. Making us look bad.

>Friend playing Red Omnath
>Everyone fucking hates that deck
>Talrand player drops Declaration of Naught naming his general
>"I can just remove it."
>"I dare you."
>Omnath spends next eternity trying to get rid of it
>Talrand dedicates his game to fucking with omnath player
>Slowly kills him with control and drakes
>Table is cracking up and doing nothing to stop it

POST EM

G/w has access to good cards (mostly through green) it's only real problem is that most of its commanders suck. Rhys, saffri, karametra, Captain sissy, and uh selvala I guess are the best choices for the color combo

>most of its commanders suck
And they're all miles better than "DUDE DOUBLE STRIKE LMAO" in R/W

In case you're still around user, here's my Marchesa list, as promised:
>tappedout.net/mtg-decks/once-you-go-black-rose-1/

That other dude's list right here is also pretty good. Some cards he's playing that I totally would be too, if I had them:
>Clever Impersonator
>Glen Elendra Archmage
>Mikaeus, the Unhallowed
>Sower of Temptation
>Sneak Attack
There's more good stuff in there too, a lot of which I'm not running as either personal preference or a meta choice.

LD is fine. Unless you're playing a Zo-Zu deck where the wincon is every red MLD spell and damage from Zo-Zu from his ability

Ha ha! Help me.

>How do you feel about land destruction?
A totally valid strategy that is, nonetheless, exceedingly frustrating. If you consistently pack MLD and I know, I'll likely do what I can to target you down.

Honesly, I'm as unhappy about the current state of RW as anybody, but can we just give it a rest? What more can be said that hasn't been said ad nauseam?

People around here act as though Boros is 100% unplayable garbage all the way through, when nthe fact is, it just isn't all that great and the commander selection is kinda boring. Doesn't stop me from loving my Giant Tribal deck.

>4.49mb
Haha my dude, no.

How do you people find the time to play/construct all these commanders? Do you just put 20 commander thematic cards and will the rest with goodstuff.inc?

Its straight from my phone, what do you want from me anime poster?

>Ben-Ben
>Ramses
>Krond
>Atalya
Help you do what? Pick out some microbrewed craft beer and a new fixed-gear you fucking hipster? Jesus, you even have the worst NEW commander.

For real, though, it's cool to see people playing underused commanders. I want a Losiva deck something fierce.

Those are the best kinds of game.

>Playing Marchesa v. Thraximundar and Sidar Kondo + Ikra Shidiqi
>get out Thrumming Bird with Jitte and double strike
>keep hitting Shidiqi player
>doesn't care 'cause lol lifegain
>6 Jitte counters each turn
>Thrax player wants to get his zombie combo engine going
>plays a creature
>"I remove 3 counters and kill it."
>next turn
>plays another creature
>no response
>"I equip my Sword..."
>"I remove 2 counters and kill it."
>repeat for the next several turns
>Thrax player eventually breaks down begging
>"Please let me play a creature."
>"No."

Here's a decklist I made awhile back. Some things have changed but its mostly the same.

>Currently at 666 views

Praise be.

Nice list senpai

Might help if I post the decklist, huh?
tappedout.net/mtg-decks/lovisa-of-the-barbars/

Trying to decide what to build next. Right now it's a toss-up between:
>Yidris
>Grenzo
>Alesha
>Tasigur
>Gitrog Monster
>Skyfire Kirin
>Sekki
>Akuta
>Vhati il-Dal

>Angus

My nigga

I currently run Alesha and have run Vhati in the past. Both are really fun. I nominate Vhati, because he's consistently underestimated.

Where my mono black bros at?
Urborg+Cabal Coffers forever

Starting from the top left and moving across:

「 S E P T E M B E R 」
「 O C T O P U S ' S G A R D E N 」
「 M R S A N D M A N 」
「 M A P S 」
「 P U L L M E U N D E R 」
「 H E R E C O M E S T H E S U N 」
「 M A S T E R O F P U P P E T S 」
「 S T O P ( I N T H E N A M E O F L O V E ) 」
「 M R B L U E S K Y 」
「 I R O N M A N 」
「 W A L K L I K E A N E G Y P T I A N 」
「 S U L T A N S O F S W I N G 」
「 D O N ' T S T O P M E N O W 」
「 C O L D A S I C E 」
「 B R O K E N W I N G S」
「 H A N D I N H A N D 」
「 F A I T H 」
「 X G O N ' G I V E I T T O Y A 」

>all that red

You're alright, user.

Full disclosure, some of these are not my best work.

Not gonna lie that

>「 X G O N ' G I V E I T T O Y A 」

got a good chuckle out of me.

Any chance you have a list kicking around? I threw together a preliminary Vhati list on paper, 'cause he's the one that interested me the most, but it's ~130 cards right now and I can't decide what to cut.

Until aura shards, gaddoc teeg, and sigaurda are banned GW is fine.

>wheels
>bad draw
wheels are the best card draw mechanic in the game, they were just considered op by the baby jew maro.

Breya
Selvala,Heart of the Wilds
Mizzix
Do your worst

Hey, the whole point of this stupid schtick is to make people laugh.

「 H E A V Y M E T A L Q U E E N 」
「 W I L D T H I N G 」
「 P I N B A L L W I Z A R D 」

I disagree. Wheels are great for when you need to dig deep and you don't care about losing what you have, but they're 'bad' in the sense that they're negative card advantage (unless you cast them when you're empty and it's one of the "Draw 7" by default or the "Draw equal to largest amount discarded this way" ones) and they're not a constant or sustainable source of draw.

Elegant Lands for Elegant Esper

>Swamp - Archenemy
abugames.com/shop.cgi?command=search&log=1&cardname=Swamp&edition=172&displaystyle=list&x=34&y=14
>Plains - Tempest
abugames.com/shop.cgi?command=search&log=1&cardname=Plains&edition=24&displaystyle=list&x=57&y=12
>Island - Ice Age A & B
abugames.com/shop.cgi?command=search&log=1&cardname=Island&edition=30&displaystyle=list&x=55&y=6

Post yours, Æstheticborns.

Longtime standardfag here, how do I even get started here? I have a pile of good cards, but what kind of ratios do I want to start with (ie lands/accelerants/creatures/non-creatures)

Kind of like all the draw X spells, fact or fiction spells, and tasigur. Sounds like you just want every draw spell you play to be black card draw.

Buy a precon

Generally you want around 40-ish lands and ramp cards. I know a lot of people that start at like, 38 lands and they take out a land for every 2 ramp spells/dorks/mana rocks. It'll take a little tweaking for each deck, but generally because games go longer you can get away with a higher ratio of lands to nonlands.

As for creatures to noncreatures, it depends entirely on the deck. Some decks get by with a handful of utility creatures, some have 50 creatures and 20 noncreature cards.

...no?

Draw X spells get better the longer the game goes on, and unless you're casting for X=1, are always a net gain of cards. Fact or Fiction is almost always a net gain in cards, and can be an absolute blowout if your opponent picks the piles wrong (or they Kingmake you a pile of 5 and 0)- there's a reason it used to be "EOT FOF FTW". And Tasigur is repeatable card advantage, especially when built around. None of those effects cost you more cards than they gain you. Wheels are only good for if you need to dig very deep, very cheap, and don't care what you lose on the way (IE, a combo deck perhaps). They are NOT reliable for a constant source of cards to outpace your opponents the way that blue, black, and green's card draw are.

Could use some 「 N A M E S 」if anyone is willing.

If you have friends who are also not in EDH, each buy a precon. If you have no friends, ask around local LGS about how stronk are their decks.

The best way to get into EDH is to get into it with friends. Take your favorite legendary creature, then grab all the good / cool / interesting / fun cards you have in their colors and mash them together with ~38 lands. Have fun playing your janky-ass decks against each other.

X is literally the symbol used by wotc for variable draw you mongoloid. Tasigur and fof need your opponent to pick which means you cant expect how much or what you get to draw. If you dont see that youre hopeless. Wheel is always draw 7 for 3, cards like molten psyche are always x where X is cards in hand. If you want to say you like cards that say draw 4 go ahead and say that but dont act like the draw mechanic that is banned and restricted is unreliable or bad.

「 G R E E N A C R E S 」
「 C A R E L E S S W H I S P E R 」
「 H U N G R Y L I K E T H E W O L F 」
「 B O Y N A M E D S U E 」
「 D O N ' T S T O P B E L I E V I N ' 」

Tasigur can also be done over and over again, rather than once, and it costs you nothing to do it, rather than losing your hand.

Fact or Fiction has your opponent pick the PILES, but you still choose which set of cards you get, and even with your opponent's "interference" Fact or Fiction is generally considered one of the best instant draw spells in the game's history.

Importantly, neither one of them costs you a goddamned thing, and neither one of them gives 7 new cards to your opponents.

>Finished: hidetsugu
>working on: noyan dar

Who said giving your opponents 7 new cards is a good thing? who said you cant reanimate the cards you pitched into the gy? Ive taken more enemies out of the game with wheel than Ive lost by doing it. Shit I regularly use wheels with flash to nullify tutors.

Your choices are interesting, but I can't stand those old card frames on my lands.

Most of my decks have the basics split half-and-half between Innistrad or Dark Ascension lands and their Avacyn Restored counterparts.

Parts for Titania are inbound

You're extolling wheels as the best card draw in the game, when only one of them always gives you 7 cards, and they ALL have notable drawbacks.

Put a temple bell, vedalken orrery and some wheels in your red deck. I gaurentee you will get results and many cards while also driving your oppnents insane without drawing table aggro.

I like the looks of Shirei, but is there much else I can abuse with him other than Shadowborn Apostle?

Not pictured, Bladewing the Risen

I want to build aura voltron
I want to vomit out auras and delete somebody
Bruna or Sigarda?

I'm an idiot, bladewing is in the picture

「 S H O T T H R O U G H T H E H E A R T 」
「 M A M A I ' M C O M I N G H O M E 」
「 I N T H E A I R T O N I G H T 」
「 B A D T O T H E B O N E 」
「 A B O Y N A M E D S U E 」again

Sigarda is much harder to interrupt.

>THESE ARE GOOD DRAW SPELLS IF YOU USE TEN OTHER CARDS TO SHORE UP THEIR WEAKNESSES

I find Sigarda to be much better in this aspect due to her colors, abilities, and casting cost.

Selesnya colors has the right auras and enchanments too for Voltron.

You dont need the temple bell and flash, they are just always good. Also you need to learn how to count.

name my breya thopter tribal

I am a simple man that loves tribal themes

>seriously claiming Wheel of Fortune is bad
I bet you also think Wrath of God is shit

Pls post your islamic terrorism decklist.

「 H A T R E D C O P T E R 」

Wheel of Fortune, the singular card, is good.

Wheels in general are not in the same area code as 'the best draw spells in the game.'

Much like how Wrath of God is a good card, but a fucking awful spot removal card.

>fucking awful
>gets through shroud, hexproof, regenerate

Stay bad at Magic

It also costs 4 and wipes out your own stuff.

The point being, while it -can- be used for that, it's not good at it compared to other things. Claiming Wrath of God is the best single-target removal spell in the game is wrong, just like saying "wheels are the best draw spells" is wrong.

Or like saying "You are good at magic" is wrong.

Please tell me how 4 mana spells that give you back as many cards as you already have, and give your opponents a fresh grip, are the best draw spells in the game.

Sac outlets obviously and anything that has an etb/ltb/sac itself trigger.

Big game hunter lets you kill many fatties,

Cavadier imp lets you get back stuff every turn

Crovax the cursed is a sac outlet that you can recur from his ability too.

Hell's caretaker will let you slam a dead demon on the battlefield every one of your turns

Mindless automaton lets you draw every turn,

Myr syr is net a 1/1 each turn

Noxious Toad lets you amek everyone discard

Perilous Myr lets you shock something every turn

Little death touch dudes are nice protection

Silent Arbiter is annoying and you can turn it off for yourself

Thoughtpicker witch could be durdly fun

Tree of Perdition is just annoying

Wall of Souls is annoying

Workhorse ramps you but mana doublers make it meh in mono black

It really depends how much you want to stick to demon.deck though, also probably a few blood artist type creatures would be nice.

Already did, lmaoing at your life.

whats the worst mono color in EDH? is it red?

Probably White.

Probably.

White

Why is red better? White has more in the way of mana ramp, at least.

white has 0 card draw that isnt awful or convoluted. red has wheels

It only has maybe two or threegood wheels, though. Looting effects and rummaging effects aren't card advantage.

What mana ramp does white actually have?
Knight of the white orchid, Kor cartographer, Land tax, gift of estates, and oath of lieges is all I can think of. That's a very small handful of cards to say "it has ramp"

still better than what white has

Working on Atraxa mostly right now. Stax seems interesting for how it is interactive with the other players but I've played a game where I've locked an opponent out of the game and we both didn't have a good time with that.

Soft locks interest me or just resource denial in general that isn't permanent.

I basically never play red or black, what is a good red and black commander? I want to step out of my Bant comfort zone.

Not many interesting rakdos commanders outside of maybe OG grenzo and rakdos, lord of riots.

I don't think I've ever seen a worse collection of commanders. Have you bought anything besides the most brainless commanders possible?

Typically Red/Black in EDH is Rakdos himself or nothin'. Maybe a couple vampires.