Because apparently many people do not like golarion: How would you fix it?

Because apparently many people do not like golarion: How would you fix it?

Other urls found in this thread:

pathfinderwiki.com/wiki/Races_of_Golarion
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pohjola
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

It's easier to start over than fix it.

Blow up the entire planet and have it be a series of floating islands in an endless abyss. Nobody has developed the airship

In my opinion, the main problem is that Golarion is kitchen sink to the max, and that is quite understandable, because the market that Paizo are maining for is not just hardcore DnD players, but also new players - so a kitchen sink setting, with a wide apeal is a good way to catch the attention of potentially new roleplayers.

For me, fixing it is not really something you would be able to do, unless you cut down the number of countries and factions by a huge margin, and that the amount of PC races gets slashed too.

Cheliax and Irrisen, are the only two countries that I like, and all the gods but Gorum (best god), Asmodeus and Lamashtu are trash.

>In my opinion, the main problem is that Golarion is kitchen sink to the max
I don't think it's a problem at all. A lot of people are into it. At worst, it's a matter of taste, but definitely not a problem.
>Cheliax and Irrisen, are the only two countries that I like
Why is it that you like these particular two?

Cheliax I like because it in some ways is a fantasy Unholy Roman Empire, where the ruling dynasty gained the throne, not via a pact with Hell but a an alliance with Hell, which I just think is very cool.

I like Irrisen because it is rare to see slavic and finno-urgic themes in "generic fantasy settings", because Paizo could every well just have not included any of it and have it just be more Cavemen and Vikings.

But when I think it through, it seems that the reason that I like these two countries is because they aren't as generic as the rest of it, on their own they certainly need some fluffing up to be something I would play, but as it stands they are pretty good compared to all trash that is Golarion

>How do we fix it
Look, Golarion is its own thing and it does what it wants to do alright. That's just not everyone's cup of tea. Some people just want a setting with more cohesive themes and consistent structure.

Nuke it and start over.

Alternately, set off multiple nukes.

By which I mean take every single Bad End, combine them together, and roll with it as your new setting, play a bit fast and loose to put some cultural bleedthrough on the various areas as needed.

This is actually going to be part of the pf campaign I'm planning on running eventually.

Pick one to three countries that you like and just lift them out of Golarion and make them their own setting. There are some cool ideas in Golarion but they don't mesh together as one cohesive setting at all. Like I always thought it was bizarre that Gothic Horrorland Ustalav is right next to Pulp Sci-Fi/Barbarians vs. Robots Metal Album Cover land Numeria, and that paladins in shining armor pass through Numeria to go fight demons in the Worldwound. But Numeria by itself, Ustalav by itself, or Mendev and the Worldwound by themselves would be fine settings.

Numeria is certainly not generic at all.

You should have a comma instead of a colon in the question

Maybe he's a kraut.

>Update the entire gameworld's technological/political setting to somewhere in the late 17th~early 18th century, rather than a vaguely medieval/post-medieval/Enlightenment mishmash
>Relocate Brevoy closer to the "civilized" portion of the map, rather than Numeria and the Worldwound; alternatively, merge Mendev, Ustalav, and Numeria into a quasi-Russian buffer state between The Worldwound and Brevoy
>Merge a few of the smaller border nations that I can't remember
>Get rid of Numeria and associated futuristic aspects entirely (save them for Starfinder)
>Get rid of the outright Lovecraftian stuff (the Great Old Ones, Leng, the Color out of Space); use the Dimension of Dreams or the Astral Plane for eldritch stuff
I could probably dig up my PDFs and go on further, but the above are my main concerns.

> How would you fix it?

Well it's D&D/PF so it's already irredeemable shit, but if I was going to fix it, the first thing I would do would be to remove all the fucking races.

Seriously, how many races are in Golarion? According to this link, something like 20 or 30: pathfinderwiki.com/wiki/Races_of_Golarion

You don't need all those races.

Let me say that again, you don't need all those races.

A party of adventurers should be majority human. Or at least half human. Why the fuck are there TWO kinds of bird-like humanoids? Why the fuck do you need eight different kinds of lizard/amphibian men? Half-vampires and tieflings? Are you kidding me? Those are LITERAL DEMONSPAWN who would fuckin lynched in any town they walked into. They are not suitable for a character.

I know that RPGs have become (since 3.5 and maybe 4e at least) some kind of Star-Wars-esque safe-space hugbox freakshow where you can walk around as a half-dragon half-succubus in your average village and the local constabulary will be like "well damn he looks fucking scary but it'd be racist of fuck of us to judge so we'll just leave him alone." Now we have all these furry races like fucking Kitsune who scream about their goddamn fursecution if they can't play some anthro shit from the back page of Savage Species. Fuck whatever faggot wrote that book.

Humans. Elves. Dwarves. Maybe orcs. That's all you need. If you need to play a race besides that to fit your precious fucking character "concept", then you are a terrible roleplayer. Which might fit in great with the rest of the D&D/PF community, but that shit doesn't fly at my table. Nor should it fly at yours.

>merge Mendev, Ustalav, and Numeria into a quasi-Russian buffer state
Irrisen and Brevoy are clearly not enough! More Russias for the Russia god!

>Mendev attempts to turn northern regions into Pathfinder!USSR "for its own good" against the Worldwound or something
I can get behind this.

>Why the fuck are there TWO kinds of bird-like humanoids? Why the fuck do you need eight different kinds of lizard/amphibian men? Half-vampires and tieflings?

Because Golarifinder.75 caters to furries, weaboo perverts and deviants, not classic grognard landsknechts.

It's a pretty easy fix. Cut out the extraneous kitchen sink countries like alkenstar, numeria and the realm of the mammoth lords that are completely out of step with the rest of the world. Then bring the remaining nations together under the flags of a few big empires. I'd go with Cheliax, Taldor, Andoran, Qadira as major players with a handful of smaller empires like Brevoy and the Land of the Linnorm Kings running as independent nations or as vassal states.

I just use the pathfinder mechanics and rules and apply 3.5 fluff, since its more widely known and used, {And I can't be bothered to relearn an entire world just to use mechanics that are practically the same as 3.5}

Isn't Qadira a part of the Great Kaladesh Empire?

Numeria is fucking tits, man.

Golarion is fine, it's just super generic.

There's nothing seriously wrong with it, it just does nothing new or interesting.

-Get rid of Numeria since it exists in a vacuum thematically. If you want to keep it, put it on the other side of the world.

-Disregard non-Avistan or change heavily. Some of the !notAfrica locales are just weird. !notMiddleEast is just kind of boring. Also have it so !notAsia does not have immigrants sailing across the North Pole to live in !notEurope. This literally happens, and unless you want to make Avistan 15% more East Asian, take this out.

-Change Andoran heavily. No one would ever call another nation "The Birthplace of Freedom", but apparently in Golarion, everyone does. Get rid of 'proud 'murican confidence land'. I make it more a collection of independent but loosely confederated states that split off of Cheliax, but are more like Renaissance Swiss than Colonial US. Remove heavy-handed references to liberty and all that shit, even if they have more egalitarian political systems.

Irrisen isn't really Russian. It's the fantasy version of Pohjola from Finnish mythology.

>located in the far north
>ruled by a mighty witch
>smoking hot girls
>the climate is unnaturally cold

There's nothing similar in Slavic mythology.

I agree. I think Cheliax is a fine setting too.

>>smoking hot girls
Tell me and show me more.

Pohjola is famous for having hot girls. All three main heroes of the Kalevala go there looking for a wife, with different degrees of success.

>Pohjola
This is what I get when I google it.

Apart from having the worst possible names for pretty much everything.

It's like the creators were trying WAY too hard to make everything sound fantasy.

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pohjola

There's not really anything to fix. There's quite a bit of potentially interesting material in just about any place you look, but the setting has no cohesion. Your best bet would just to pick the handful you like/suit your needs, and transplant them elsewhere.
Golarion is basically a bunch of musicians playing different songs at the same time and calling themselves a band. Even if some of the songs are good or the musicians skilled, you're still going to wind up with a discordant mess

You need to relax bruh. This is going to shock you, but not everyone's imagination ends at Tolkien-derivative shit. I think a fair race selection would be

>Human
>Elf
>Dwarf
>Orc
>Machine/Construct Race
>Lizard Race

Is a common problem.

>PC
Nah that's just a classic tavern, or "cafe" as they call it.

>Lizard Race
Fuck off furry

>Thinsk all you need is: "Humans. Elves. Dwarves. Maybe orcs."
>Not Gauls, Franks, Romans, Vikings, Jews and the Japanese.

It looks like every other fantasy setting.

Call them Norsemen instead of Vikings you fucking faggot.

> A faction of Knight Templars and their followers somehow gets stranded in the world.
> COMMENCE DEUS VULT!

Almost every place in Golarion is just a theme park version of a place that existed on Earth. Drastically cut down on the number of countries, flesh out the ones that are left, then add some fucking original content.

They promptly get chewed up and shat out by the locals who have, y'know, actual, functional, high-level magic, including literal divine blessings, instead of running around with unenchanted arms & armor and the confidence they can do any shit they like because the pope has promised god will forgive their sins.

Instead of fixing it Paizo ought to create new settings in the tradition of Greyhawk, Forgotten Realms, Dragonlance, Ravenloft, Birthright, etc. Build around specific themes and motifs instead of trying to cram everything together into one setting.

Probably start by not playing fucking pathfinder.

Its hard to fix something so ridiculous. Honestly most of the people who like Golarian wouldn't want it fixed.

If you want to play pathfinder just put it in a setting thats more to your liking and lay out clear groundrules for character creation.

Why would I bother when Greyhawk exists?

Eurocuck detected

I don't think so, most Europeans don't give a fuck about America at all.

I would keep everything exactly the same and get someone new to rename it. Countries, cities, gods, the whole thing.

The worst things about Pathfinder are the terrible horrible no good very bad names.

Have another apocalypse that wipes out a large chunk of the world and start over with the pieces you like.

They sound like typical meaningless retarded fantasy names. There's no way to make them sound awesome. They will always be lame, that's the name of the game.

>Another "let's fix Pathfinder!" thread

>2017
>Deus Vult memery

I play Pathfinder and I cannot get immersed in Golarion at all. The first time I saw it a feeling of utter blandness washed over me. I don't think there is any fixing it, it was made by Paizo and doomed from the start. It just screams of ripoff FR even though FR isn't all that exciting to begin with. I get that's what they were going for, but even as a bland setting it falls on it's face.

Paizo will always be stuck in the name brand vs. great value war with WotC and they will always lose.

No the Pathfinder names are super retarded. Forgotten Realms names are better. And Eberrons names were really good. Pathfinder names are horrible to spell and worse to pronouce.

What's up with the inner sea area? Why are there only 3 coastal cities? Why does that river have no settlements other than the one by the mountain?

There's more cities than that the map is just showing the ones with political or plot significance

Golarion is probably the best setting of its type. The problem is that for a large amount of people, including myself, it's the worst type of setting. It just throws everything together and sees if it sticks, and while say, Azeroth is bogged down by being extremely bland and rough, Golarion actually has a lot of really great stuff laying around here and there.

Again, I do hate the setting, but I don't think it needs to be fixed. There're people out there who like kitchen sinks, and I think they're all a bunch of stupid monkeys, but you know, it works for them.

That's true, it's designed so that you can fit any sort of campaign you want into it without hassle. And it does so relatively well.

The best way to fix Golarion would be to destroy the Worldwound, kill Deskari, and overthrow House Thrune.

>allows orcs, a race of irredeemable rapists and killers
>won't allow Tieflings, who have normal free will and the ability to choose not to rape, wherever they are

You're not rational, you're just old and grumpy, m8

I advocate the opposite. Give Andoran advanced Numerian technology and a century to develop it, and then unleash their Eagle-class Fighter-Bombers upon the wicked tyrants and slavers of the world.

Intense amounts of Freedom for everyone, by force where necessary

They'll get murdered, bruv

We know that the lazy russian guard during WW1 were at least sixth-level characters. The trained templar would probably be at least that high level; An army of CR6 fighters is hysterically strong, and they wouldn't even need to go up against the things that would traditionally fuck them up, unless they wind up in the Worldwound or something.

>We know that the lazy russian guard during WW1 were at least sixth-level characters
We do?
From where?

Same way we fix Africa.

Good sir I believe you have confused that with "fixing the planet".

>Those are LITERAL DEMONSPAWN who would fuckin lynched in any town they walked into. They are not suitable for a character.
Except, you know, not in Golarion? It sounds a lot like your complaint is that Golarion isn't [Insert Greyhawk/Faerun/etc here].

Heck, Golarion has a nation of outright diabolists who don't even hide it. Why would a tiefling be lynched on sight there, you foolish person?

>No one would ever call another nation "The Birthplace of Freedom", but apparently in Golarion, everyone does.

But.... But the United States exist IRL. Sure, there might be some irony when outsiders call it the Land of Freedom and Opportunity, but we still do it.
Did you even think that one through before you wrote it?

Actually, Tieflings have it rougher than average in Cheliax. Ustalav is one of the only places that chimps out about diversity and straight murderizes folks for having Satan or Dracula as a grandpappy

Pathfinder's best adventure is set in Russia.

>Sure, there might be some irony when outsiders call it the Land of Freedom and Opportunity, but we still do it
I have no idea who you mean by "we" in this sentence. You live in Mexico or something?

Except Andoran is (politically speaking) NG and pretty much an incorruptible utopia, while America itself is, well, America. I can understand Andoran being a bit idealized (if you need a shithole democracy, there's always Galt), but there has to be some sort of issues to make it believable.

>that shit doesn't fly at my table. Nor should it fly at yours.
I, too, hate fun, and am appalled by these gross attempts at exercising the imaginations of players.

Humans. That's all you need. If you need to play a race besides that to fit your precious fucking character "concept", then you are a terrible roleplayer.

It was fixing to die, then For Honor came out

Fucking kill me