Last time on Song of Swords:
More Tournament Characters.
Can wooden armor rust?
Tfw no King Daki
We all keep a Tight Grip.

The KS link & Opaque's website
kickstarter.com/projects/2006613790/song-of-swords-tabletop-roleplaying-game
songofswords.net/

Song of Swords is a a tabletop RPG centered around realistic medieval fightan' with a ludicrous variety of weapons and fighting styles, centered around a dice pool system. It's currently in beta, and can be used for both fantasy and historical games. Kickstarter is happening NOW we are kicking ass baby!

Call of the Void: Ballad of the Laser Whales is a pulpy sci-fi tabletop RPG about fighting space-nazis and hunting giant whales with harpoons made out of the moon. Its combat system is more modern, based in the early 20th century, but can probably handle combat up to the present day.

MEGA folder containing current version of the game and all supplementary materials.
Note that the latest version of the game is v1.9.9 but with additional supplements. It's NOT what's currently on Opaque's website, because Jimmy is Jimmy.
mega.nz/#F!S89jTT7J!ozFi9GvzaFGHfBa59Ik2-Q

Here's a wiki detailing SoS's fantasy setting, getting filled up bit by bit as Jimmy reveals more details:
tattered-realms.wikia.com/wiki/Tattered_Realms_Wiki

We also have a Discord now, at discord.gg/zzTq7Xw
Come join us if you wanna ask a question or have a friendly fecht, or shitpost at Jimmy in real-time

And a Rediit: reddit.com/r/SongofSwordsRPG/

There's also a roll20 room where new players are encouraged to try the rules, test new rules, and find game breaking issues: app.roll20.net/join/346755/hRKd4w
the room might be empty, but the people who teach the game still browse the thread frequently. If you're looking to learn, post here in the thread. We also play Guy Windsor's card game Audatia in the room.

AND THE LEGEND MARCHES ON!

Other urls found in this thread:

paste2.org/VmKOg9cy
paste2.org/tMfdkbFd
paste2.org/zCVHGwvA
paste2.org/Hhs5OgCY
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

Last Thread:

it's cus it's literally a redrawing of a Frazetta picture.

Jimmy, when are you updating next? It's been a few days.

I've always loved dice pools and autistical detail, so this system looks pretty great right off the bat, and I've been meaning to run a fantasy campaign anyway.

Does it have elves in it?

Five different kinds.

There's multiple flavors of elves. From shut in nerds and man-eating, metal sensitive elves to crazy powerful elves that shoot freaking laser beams from their freaking eyes and sea faring elves that use elf-waagh to create a living ship that allows for automated travel and telepathic communication between its crew

You can have so many elf waifus

cool. Are any of them total shitheels?

I ask because one of the flgs regulars I game with has a serious hate boner for elves, so being able to make a campaign about fighting some wold be a good way to ease them into something new.

>man-eating, metal sensitive elves
Now how about metal-eating man sensitive elves?

Burdinandin

The Orredin are the epitome of shitheels

All of them are. But that's mostly because everyone in the setting is a shitheel without question.

Specifically though; The Neets do shit that'd make Josef Mengele cringe, the Metal sensitive elves eat babies because they can't eat anything that can't talk, the Laser eye elves destroyed most of the world because their city fell on it and the sea elves rape and rape and rape.

I'm sure someone else can explain further on all of these tho, I'm sure i've misrepresented someone's elf waifu as well.

Eskarne the best regardless

They're Greeks with superpowers, what else would they be?

Jimmy should just fucking canonize zellmurhaja and ask coffee for a big to put in a book.

The Zells (the sea-faring elves) are pretty infamous for terrorizing certain parts of Vosca, and for their hatred of mankind in general. Easy villains for a campaign about a couple humans sticking it to those pointy-eared fuckers.

>Are any of them total shitheels?
I mean you could really frame any of them like that depending on where you are and what you're doing.

One Zell fleet is lead by Zell-Hitler almost literally. He was a slave to humans and now wants to genetically cleanse the earth of them with superior Zell seed. He's got some weird hang-ups though like his human wife whom he showers with gifts and affection while claiming to despise her entire race and culture.

One Burdinadin Glade has got Mustard Gas down and is 200% okay with using it on lower creatures such as vermin, pests and trespassing humans. They also only drip feed trinkets and gifts to neighbouring states to keep them sweet as opposed to anything useful that could save lives. Though that's probably the only way they'll stay independent.

Some Ohanedin tribe will kidnap and eat children who have the audacity to be born and try to grow up in their ancestral homelands.

Orredin however I think can fit into the hate-able mould the best, they live in a literal flying city above everyone else, once held the world in their palm and were unspeakably cruel they glassed Jerusalem with a huge laser and have their fingers in just about every pie on the continent. If you wanted to do a story about uncovering how the succession crisis in your homeland was started by an elf noble living seven-hundred miles away because the legitimate hair was going to stop exporting his favourite wine then these are your guys.

>the legitimate hair
le Trump face

Burdinadin are superscience neets that have turned their entire existence into a big sociological experiment in figuring out just how diverse shitty dystopias can be. They consider humans inferior beings to be exterminated when convenient.
Ohanedin eat speaking beings and are very strict about oaths, as you'd expect from woodsy elves, and consider humans inferior beings worth only food.
Sugaardin just float about on their boats all day and consider humans to be curiosities worth keeping as pets, same as other animeals, or as potential sex partners. Some also consider humans to be land creatures which shouldn't be allowed on the ocean.
Orredin are floating city elitists with powers that let them easily dominate lesser races. They are literally the master race of the setting, if you count only those that breed. Orredin consider humans to be inferior beings that are nonetheless suitable for slaves and for eugenics.
Paladin are dead people that learned about the nature of God and came back to the mortal coil. They know fucking everything and don't die permanently. Paladins consider humans to be inferior beings who are slaves to God.
Hostoadin are fractious beings that create political structures for no purpose but to oppress others. They consider other humans to be inferior races fit only to maintain the land that they haven't bothered to reclaim by force of arms yet.

Some people say goblins are elves that lost their focus but that's bullshit.

>man sensitive elves?
Cocksense?

Could someone explain how making a school actually works? That is to say, how much you need to pay for it. And where does the diference between a human and a non-human come into play?

As I understand it schools work like follows:
You have a base cost for shools, that you always pay. These differ from school to school. Noble shools base cost is 2 for example. Then you have costs that you have to pay to add a primary or secondary, how much that costs is also different per school. Again taking noble as an example a primary proficiency costs 2 to add, a secondary costs 1 to add. That all is found in this line of the schools instructions:
>Cost: [2]+2 per Primary, +1 per Secondary
This is where humans Racial feature "Willing to learn" comes into play:
>When purchasing Schools, Human characters reduce the cost of each Proficiency Core added to the School by 1.
So for a primary proficiency in a noble school a Human character would only pay 1 instead of 2, and secondary proficiencies are practically free in the case of noble school, going from a cost of 1 to 0.

Once you have all that down, your school has a proficiency level of 1 and can be advanced just like a normal proficiency.
What the effective proficiency level of one proficiency of a shool is is different however. For example the noble school has this
>Proficiencies: 1-2 Primary [+2], 1-5 Secondary [+0]
That means the Primary Proficiencies are at +2 relative to the level of the school. So if you have a Noble school level of 6, you can use your primary proficiencies at 8. But for talents and stuff only the level of the school counts, I think.

After that you can advance the school beyond level one just as if it is just a single proficiency, using the same table for the costs and all.

So, that's how I understand it, anyone feel free to correct me on any mistake I may have made.

How are wounds gonna work in the tourney? Like, if you lose a limb or eye but win, is that carried over?

Well, two things:
1: I don't handle the updates, because I'm a bit too prone to droning on about lore and trying to give dramatic speeches. Bones and Claymroe do the KS updates.

2: We have one coming, as they've told me before, they try to space them out because too-frequent updates annoy the more casual backers, and can prompt them to drop the project just to be rid of the blips.

>Are any of them total shitheels
Perhaps not as a race, but they all have total shitheel characters.

>Zells
Rade Sark, who is basically Zell-Hitler, fucking hates humans and advocates exterminating all humans. Has a human girlfriend he keeps in his ship, and showers with affection. Total shitheel.

>Orredin
There used to be a people called the Mikanni, the first humans to develop sorcery, and powerful numeralogical magic that allowed them to investigate deep mysteries of the magical world. The Helians hit them with a gigantic magic laser from their floating island and meticulously killed every living thing in their country, crystalizing all of the sand, and rendering it a lifeless wasteland. It is now called "The Land of Glass and Sorrow." They did this because they didn't like competition. Ok so maybe Orredin ARE all shitheels.

>Ohanedin
A coming of age tradition among the Ohanedin is for their young people to kidnap young humans, tie them to posts, and then do a maypole dance that strangles them to death. Then they cut them open and eat them, or offer their organs to girls as courting gifts.

>Burdinadin
One of the lore-pieces details them developing mustard gas. At the end the designer assures the ethics board of his company that they it wasn't meant for use against people, and they would only use it on "animals, aggressive vermin, and humans."

>offer their organs to girls as courting gifts

>the elf is laughing because the gnome misunderstood "win her a heart" as "win her heart"

>repeatedly pledging and unpledging to make the numbers wiggle

it's fun!

The add on s for the kickstarter list an NPC army deck 1 and NPC army deck 2, but the pledge levels all just mention 'an' NPC army deck. Are there two separate decks? Do I need to pledge extra for the add on to get both?

I think the pledge levels that get the first deck in print will get the second in print too.
Other than that the second deck will also be part of the digital pack iirc. So every pledge level that gets the digital pack gets the second deck as part of that too

You're forgetting the cost of actually purchasing the proficiencies to add, which is another point of cost. That means that Humans basically pay exactly what is listed for the school, and everyone else pays one higher.

I feel like that could be a bit clearer in the rulebook

So that was you, you cunt. Stop rustling my autism.

Who the fuck is this "Jessica" that answers questions in the KS comments?

Yeah, everyone should try it, especially if they are on one of the sold out pledge levels ;)

Ah, I see. I wasn't aware of that. Upon rereading a part of the Schools section still is unclear to me. It says
>Each Proficiency added to a School must be paid for normally
Okay, I get that. I pay what level 1 in the proficiency would cost me, which is 1 point. But then it says
>though Humans, because of their racial characteristic Willing to Learn, purchase Proficiencies for 1 point instead of 2.
>instead of 2
Which now completely throws me off, because that implies that "paying for normally" means paying 2 (for everyone who is not human), wheras the table for the costs list 1.

But yeah, revisiting the shitty and typo ridden character creation cheat sheet I made some time ago it also hast the 1 point extra cost per proficiency, except for human characters.

Jimmy. He's secretly been a tranny this entire time.

Welp, looks like I fucked up my character for the tournament and no one even noticed it, or bothered to let me know. This is actually a bit upsetting since it fucks up the kinda story I wanted to make with it, since now it's more worthwhile for me to have just taken self-taught school.

Time to scrap the backstory and start over, although I might give up on competing at this point

I assume it's Claymore's wife, since that's the only female I've heard of having any association with Opaque, though I guess Bones could be married and it's not like I'd know.

I was under the impression that she is the Australian.

The Australian is female.

>the woman who took a fucking year to make the 1.2 PDF, which turns out not to be a formatted mockup at all
>but apparently has the dedication to answer questions
Eh?

Its likely only a cp you've lost unless you took a billion proficiency.

So with regard to melee throw. It says it loses damage for every range beyond. What does this mean? That its better to throw full sized spears than javelins? Also would "it was on purpose" work with melee throw? It mentions fling and melee shoot but not throw.

Jessica is the Australian, and our chief editor. I urge you not to assume things that are not true. Actually much of our success can be attributed to her. You do not know how close we have been to failure, and how narrowly we have been rescued by the expertise of some of our comrades--she most of all.

I lost 4 levels and 3 talents because I'm a fucking retard and only accounted for the school costs for the proficiencies at level 1, and just used the proficiency table to give me a reference for the point costs per level instead of reading that one paragraph a page or two later and noticing they cost 1 more for me

Also I only took two proficiencies

Not human?

Not human because I was kinda hoping to have more interesting non-humans show up in the setting

Do we have a goblin yet?

There's at least Rudgar the Reclaimer

So let's say I wanted to take Animal Affinity: Bees for my tourney character would you call that a 4 or a 6 value level?

Go home, The Pain

Answer the question /sos/.

I'd give it a 4 just because bees aren't as wild and aggressive as the ones for 6 points

On a related note, how would the church treat a foreign missionary in Illegon? I'm trying the price my Enemies bane correctly.

Great stuff, my thanks.

paste2.org/VmKOg9cy

Fixed proficiencies and added a gay backstory for my tourney waif- character.

How did you lose 4 levels?. Like humans are 5pcp for noble, 4 for soldier and officer, non human are 7 for soldier and noble, 6 for officer. At least at base

I don't know, I'm a bit exhausted from struggling with it. At this point I'd rather aim very low than actually try to work it out

Who's your character? Maybe we can rig it back up.

This one

The good news is that you actually fucked up your original Proficiency. You should have Level 9 Officer if you pay for everything properly.

How is that so? Is the 2 proficiency points only for level 1? Because before that paste I had made another one at level 10, then I saw my mistakes and thought I fixed it properly

[1] + (2+1) + (1+1) = 6 to create the school
This leaves 15 points left.

It takes 14 points to get to level 9 proficiency. You have one point left, so take a separate Self Taught or whatever.

Therefore your actual CPs would be

1H Sword: 17
Dagger: 16

I think I understand it now. Just don't tell my players how incompetent I am

Everyone will be magically healed the instant their opponent dies. You'll start each fight clean. In the event of a simultaneous double kill, we'll figure something out.

I ran a game for two years without realizing range penalties affect defenses too. Don't worry, everyone is a little bit retarded.

We discussed that last thread. The table is right, the paragraph is wrong.

If there's a double kill then whoever went in with less CP or the more interesting character should win.

What about juggernaut, the talent would that affect double kill situations at all

It means -1 damage for reach range step within the weapon's reach. Here are examples

You're holding a longsword, L reach. The combat is at Medium. If you weapon throw, you have -1 damage. there's one step between where you are (M) and the nominal reach of the sword (L)

You have an EL spear and the combat is at Short. Your weapon throw suffers -4 damage.

You have an LL pike and the fight is at HA. Your throw has -7 damage.

Whether Tall or Short affects this is unclear, but I'd say no.
It was on purpose does not affect weapon throw.

Could you rephrase that?

What about the opposite direction such as throwing a short spear at a guy with a pike

Juggernaut,the talent, causes someone not to die when they would be killed. Said Dead Guy now kills his opponent. How would that affect the calculations considering the Juggernaut doesn't die till the end of the round where as the other guy dies on attack resolution

If you stave off death with juggernaut and kill your enemy with your half-CP blow? In SOS, time is measured in Actions. Juggernaut merely delays the wound until the end of the Action. So you're still killing each other at the same time. It would be a double kill.

No problem. The only problem is when they're inside your range. If they're at it or beyond it, there's no penalty.

6, for a more aggressive species like African Honey or Wasps.

I can just imagine a guy with a Beehive on a wagon, selling honey and pain everywhere he goes.

paste2.org/tMfdkbFd

Actually fixed edition, after going through the five stages of grief and the help of a few kind souls

I dunno. That question is above my paygrade.

Thanks with all these people with spear that pierce the sky I figured something's getting thrown eventually

JIMMY

We've reached the adventure goal, can you tell us what the adventure will be? Is it going to be a poll like the adventure decks? I'm personally okay with whatever you want but I know a lot of our backers aren't from here, they might not know the lore and all that stuff, maybe you should ask them what they want.

For those who don't really know, the most fechts have been produced by Galt and Jimmy. Galt's fechts are usually simple, but laden with religious themes and feels. Jimmy's fechts tend to be more labyrinthine and cynical. I don't know what we're going to get but I think we should have some say in the matter, those of us who backed the game. I don't want to be negative, but an adventure isn't a Fecht. You have to be very careful with this sort of thing.

I was playing For Honor just a minute ago as a Nobushi, the naginata user, you know? I was in a duel with a Lawbringer, the huge halberd knight. He was smacking my ass around and shoved me up to a ledge, but when he tried to knock me off I managed to parry and kick him down for the win. It was great.

Some advice you were given was slightly misleading. Your pugilism is just a proficiency, it's not a Self-Taught school. I'd change that to avoid confusion. You've got your officer school, and then your pugilism proficiency.

Note that if you actually use pugilism you won't have access to any of your talents from your officer school. It's a last resort!

I'd like to remind everyone to mark down what maneuvers you have at the Superior level because of the Pugilism or Wrestling proficiencies.
Normally (that is, RAW) you only have access to those Superior versions when you are actually using that proficiency. I propose a houserule where you continue to have Superior versions available even when you're using another proficiency. For instance, while using 1H Sword, you'll still have access to Superior Kick and Superior Clinch. What do you guys think?

Yeah, I'm aware it's not actually part of a school, but I'll change the wording just to be sure. I felt like getting an extra dagger anyways, so it works out.

paste2.org/zCVHGwvA

Oh and I'll be marking down the maneuvers in just a few minutes as well

how the hell does a flimsy-ass weapon like a naginata parry a goddamn halberd

The same way a flimsy ass weapon like a bill or a glaive parries it. Pretty well.

Most of the crap in that silly game don't make any sense. I was parrying that same halberd as a woman with a shortsword and a companion dagger.

>this is your average Song of Swords fan

We've degenerated a long way from the early days, when most threads were composed of learning how pretty fine Japanese arms and armor are.

It isn't a halberd. It's a poleaxe.

Whatever. I'm sleepy and frustrated at the game's shitty Peer2Peer matchmaking and shittier balancing and even shittier combo recognition.

You're wrong, by the way. Humans don't reduce the >Cost: [2]+2 per Primary, +1 per Secondary. Willing to learn reduces the cost of Proficiency Core, which is level 1 on the table, and costs one point. The one that says Core Manuevers.

So to use noble as you have, a human to make a Noble school with primary in Spear and 2H Blunt 420 and a secondary in pugilism would cost him 5gp and 7 PP 2+2+2+1+0+0+0. For a dirty Burdinadin who wants the exact same tutelage it would cost him 5gp 10 PP 2+2[pri]+2[pri]+1[sec]+1[core]+1[core]+1[core]

And on that note, here's my entrant to the tournament with a sheet reduction for easy combat reading.

paste2.org/Hhs5OgCY

By... almost being a halbard I'd imagine.

>Kill Stanislaw Bozhinko and Jerzy Korczak
Are those other contestants? Are they murderhobos that need to be punished?

more of a glaive, really

No, they're famous. He wants to be the very best, like no-one ever was. So killing people famous for killing people is a good goal

Well yes, obviously but "By... almost being a glaive and thus sharing the category of polearm I'd imagine." didn't make for as neat a post.

No armor?

I see! I'm interested in seeing your character fight. Good luck, Vino-san!