EDH Commander General

Treefolk Shaman Tribal edition

Previous thread: RESOURCES

>Official Site: Contains deck building rules and the current ban list.
mtgcommander.net

>Deck List Site: You can search for decks that other people have made. Authors often have comments that explain their deck’s strategy and card choices.
tappedout.net

>Another resource for commander discussion; they have an entire forum dedicated to discussing decks. People often make primers, which go into detail about how they built and play their deck.
mtgsalvation.com/forums/the-game/commander-edh

>Statistically see what everyone else puts in their commander decks based on what is posted to the the internet.
edhrec.com/

>Find out what lands you can add to your deck, sorted by category, based on a chosen Commander’s color identity.
manabasecrafter.com/

CARD SEARCHING

>Official search site. Current for all sets.
gatherer.wizards.com/

>Unofficial, but has GOAT search interface.
magiccards.info/

>Thread question
What's your favourite midrange beater? What makes a midrange creature good enough for EDH?

Other urls found in this thread:

tappedout.net/mtg-decks/trest-foriegn-relations-board/
tappedout.net/mtg-decks/mo-knows-overkill/
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

What Are some Good commanders for a Timmy who loves green and a dooshbag who loves counterspells and blue? I'm trying to get some friends into edh

Omnath and Talrand

New omnath or old omnath?

Two different players?

Selvala and Baral Obama.

Well one's a big fucking green thing that helps you get big fucking green things and one's a landfall combo laser factory
which one do you think is timmier

OTHER THREAD QUESTION:

What are your biggest pet peeves DURING a game?

I meant old but if your buddy has a thing for elementals and will be playing along side douchy McCounter Dick splashing red for the sake of Gutteral Response, Vexing Shusher and Red Elemental blast is certainly not terrible. I meant old Omnath though.

Excuse my redundant statement for being redundant. I am very tired.

Friends use to drive me fucking insane playing creatures and shit close to themselves and lands up front towards me. Glad they ruled that shit out. Excessive hand shuffling will drive me crazy if the match goes for longer and my opponent takes long turns. Finally grabbing my cards without asking. Just kinda rude.

>What's your favourite midrange beater?

Korlash, Heir to BlackBlade.

>Plays an X costing spell and doesn't tap his mana first
>Holds a grudge against you for what you did the previous game
>When someone plays King Maker

My "swamps matter" Korlash deck is so mediocre but I love it.
When it actually gets going and you have Korlash dual-wielding Nightmare Lash and Lashwrithe for triple lash combo is just plain fun.

>My Korlash deck
>Having Bitterblossom and Contamination out
>No one else is playing black
>mfw

>taking more than five minutes to complete your turn
>taking more than five minutes to complete your turn when the previous player just took 5+ minutes to complete HIS turn

Something snaps in me when people just sit there looking at their cards processing in silence. I turn into that guy and ask "my turn? " every 30 seconds.

I have a lot of UG staples but I find typical UG decks to be boring. Suggestions? Adding a 3rd colour is fine

My group has started using chess playclocks to maintain turns. you only get 30 minutes in total turn time. If you go over you lose.

Kalemne

For reference, I already have Ghave, Daxos of Meletis, Dralnu, Nicol Bolas and Kresh

People not just fucking winning when they have it.
>Guy has Elesh Norn and a fuckload of other creatures, more than enough to take out all of us in one attack
>He untaps, fiddles with his hand for a minute, activates Scion of the Ur Dragon, etc. for like 3 min.
>Finally just goes to combat and ends the game
Fuck you Dave, just attack if you have lethal, it's borderline rude to make us sit there and watch while you jerk off with your cards.

Thanks for the suggestions

I mean, if someone's untapped, there can be reason to give pause

We all had some combination of no hand or no open mana. And none of his fiddling around was to protect his board or shore up against counterplay, it was just making his creatures bigger when he already had the win.

Bullshit politics and bad threat assessment.

Leovold.

Pic related. Or just Thragtusk, I guess I never stopped being a timmy

Strata Scythe is another fun one.

why does this fucker exile the creatures it zombifies

i'm complaining because i want to run him as a commander, but he shuts down any creature death strategies in such an unfun way that i don't want to. also all the fun stuff like sangromancer and grave betrayal don't work because of the exile clause and that sucks too

also that 18 dollar price tag wtf

This bad boy
>what makes a midrange creature good enough for EDH
It has to represent a good threat that needs responding or it needs to put a clock of some sort on your opponents.

And 5 mana isn't egregious in EDH. I can hit that safely turn 3 and have leftover mana.

>why does this fucker exile the creatures it zombifies
So you don't zombify it the normal way and illogically get multiple units out of one corpse, also he's feeding it to Ulamog.

Run him with sac effects so you get zombies to keep saccing while your opponents get nothing

Dictate of Erebos, Grave Pact, Butcher of Malakir, you know, the usual

yeah thats what i want to do but i don't want to be that guy who says "oh sorry ur aura thief doesnt work because of my guy, i guess u forgot ;)"

i don't really want to buy him before he rotates out of standard anyway

Any deck that takes advantage of his ability is going to be fun police anyways, might as well go all in

I'm fine with taking a longer turn, as long as you're DOING SHIT. If you're just vacantly staring at things, fuck you

>Chess clocks
Shut up, you'll summon him!

i guess

i guess i'll try proxying him for a couple of games and see how it goes

>bad threat assessment
NOTHING triggers me harder. Not one thing. I'm fine with being the go-to target because I'm open, but when people are kicking the already-down guy and totally ignoring the clear threat it makes me want to choke them

>Proxying a card to see if it works in your deck before you buy it
absolutely reasonable

> "I cast blah blah blah. It's a 700/700 and I'm giving it trample, lifelink, vigilance, etc. I end my turn."
> don't have any answers
> topdeck a land
> "Well I've got nothing, you win."
> "WHAT? Dude DON'T quit, let me take one more turn!"
> "I don't have any answers, you win"
> "Well I'm going anyway. I generate infinite tokens and mana and they're all 500/500 and I swing for billions and you lose!"

This is why we all fucking hate you Joe.

When people don't pay attention. Like, it's fine to not be 100% laser-focused when we're playing- answer that text, turn around to watch what just happened on the Pro Tour coverage, discuss why SAO is trash with the guy watching the game, sure

But when you turn around to trade, or get tunnel-visioned on your phone or whatever, and then we have to basically knock you across the head to say IT'S YOUR FUCKING TURN and you suddenly want to counter the thing that got played 2 entire turns ago when you weren't paying attention, get fucked

>Playing Slivers
>only infinites are the stereotypical mana echoes/queen or intruder alarm/gemhide shenanigans
>game stagnates because r/b chaos player is doing lmaochaos things
>finally manage to pull off the queen/echoes just to end the game and play a different one
>prove the combo, others start to scoop
>lmaochaos on their phone whenever it's not their turn; confused as to why everyone is scooping, asked what I was comboing off with
>"Oh I chaos warp the mana echoes in response to queen!"
Holy shit that was like a full 2 minutes ago why do you do this to me world?
The rest of the table got on their case about paying attention and the combo did go off but it was still one of my biggest "ugh" moments to date.

I want a Bant goodstuff deck

Who should my commander be?

Roon maybe?

Derevi if you just want to win. Roon if you like slower games. Pheldagriff if you want fun

But really any bant commander works.

Who?

Could just run all of them and rotate through them depending on how you feel each game

gA really fucking hates chess clocks.

Derevi if you want to trigger people.
Arcades Sabboth or Ragnar if you want to troll people.
Angus Mackenzie or Rubinia Soulsinger if you want to have something alright but not deck bending to do.
Phelddagrif if you want to smile like the Cheshire Cat, causing your opponents to be slowly overwhelmed by growing paranoia as they attempt and fail to figure out what the hell you're doing.

>just let me capture your king!

The worst. I understand it sometimes, especially if it's a neat Johnny interaction rather than just overwhelming power on the board. Still bad when they waste everyone's time with that shit.

I don't HATE them, they're just horribly impractical.

Always loved Egyptian afterlife mythology, so I'll be brewing Not!Anput no matter how shit she ends up being.
Anyone else got plans for Amonkhet?

>they're just horribly impractical.
Much like pictures for ants.

Well that's embarrassing.

I want some of those new fullart lands so badly

I want some of the grixis ones in case I ever end up brewing ol' daddy bolas, but besides that, full arts never did much for me.

I'm hoping we get some more desert/pyramid basics to go with the Abzan ones. At the very least I hope R/U get some.

Red white is probably not the route to go unless you want hard mode up your butt

How does Sidar Kondo plus Ludevic sound? Basically bad Edric but more access to other colours for cool shit

You have to admit that Gisela lends herself pretty hard to combo, considering all you have to do is give her 1 more power and she can two-shot people.

Like yeah, she interacts well with things like Earthquake to keep your guys alive and their guys dead, or using Manabarbs, but the primary focus is gonna be smashing face.

>Basically bad Edric
God it in one.

Oh I'm down to see something cool, but this fucking guy never does anything cool so it's just annoying as all hell.

Combo players: What do you announce when you cast a combo piece? Just the effect written on the card or the interaction it might have with something on the board? I feel like I'm going to run into some deflating wins from "Oh I would have countered that if I had known about that interaction". Yeah, it's their responsibility to keep track of what's going on, but there are often a lot of things on the board, and I couldn't blame them for not noticing something like Darkest Hour + Teysa.

Anybody got a leovold decklist that isn't a gorillion and half dollars? I got one for $20 off and want to build something cool/interesting. Any suggestions? I was think wheels to feed re animator. Thoughts?

That is spicy anti-stax tech

Or would be if it killed Artifacts.

tappedout.net/mtg-decks/trest-foriegn-relations-board/
It's about $250, which for Leovold/EDH isn't dirt cheap but at the same time it's doable.

>playing Sharuum eggs
>against a Zur, Selvala and Kozilek
>hold Ad Nauseam in hand, there's nothing I can do if it gets countered
>Zur attacks, searches for Stasis (?) and tries to counter some random removal spell aimed at Zur
>cast Ad Nauseam is response
>Zur player gets mad that I won after drawing 20+ cards with Ad Nauseam instead of being angry at his own mistake

It's not my fault he searched for a bunch of crap instead of comboing with Zur as he should be doing.

Zur Players are very dumb

>tappedout.net/mtg-decks/trest-foriegn-relations-board/
Thank you based user. I got the Ydris precon and was going to use that as a sort of shell for leovold while i worked toward a better build.

I was more annoyed at their choice of cards. If you're playing Zur to win, why not just play the best list around, instead of tutoring for necropotence and trying to take someone down with Zur and some shitty auras?

I mean I just try to sneak it out desu maybe I'm a dick but my decks are not super competitive and usually only have one or two combos

Maybe they weren't playing it to win. Have you seen gA's fuckawful Zur list?

Saving others is the worst element of this, not if it's an educated move like I can't beat you without him but like saving the person.

The game that had me up the fucking wall was this 3 player game. Elf combo deck was popping off and would have lethal for both of us next turn, I had a bloodrush gruul that was running out of steam fast and the other guy was a kor equipment that wasn't going as aggro as planned.

I have enough to go lethal against the elf player and the kor guy pops pic related saving the elf. I scoop on the spot and elf stomps kor.

Wanted to strangle something

Never announce more than the name of the spell. If you win the game once it's resolved, say "Resolves? Cool, I win-" and demonstrate the combo. You shouldn't hold your group's hand by saying "I cast Sanguine Bond, which will go infinite with my Exquisite Blood if it resolves and I crack this fetchland. Response?".

I'm pretty sure he was playing to win, that's the thing. That guy only brews super competitive shit, like Narset or Azami.

Then fuck him, he's an idiot.

>>Thread question
>What's your favourite midrange beater? What makes a midrange creature good enough for EDH?
none, I don't usually attack.

>OTHER THREAD QUESTION:
>What are your biggest pet peeves DURING a game?
when somebody lights the room i'm playing in on fire. though it didn't happen before I'm sure it would piss me the uck off
but to be frank, propably taking ages tutoring.

It's always "alright, I cast this?" They answer yes and I say it resolves I win and explain the combo to anyone who doesn't get it.

If I'm going to go infinite and my playgroup doesnt' know about the cards (which they usually don't), I explain it before casting only the first time. After that, it's their problem

I agree I shouldn't baby my group like that, but I'd also prefer to win when all my opponents play optimally. I wouldn't enjoy the win as much if I find out after the game that I won purely because my opponent just didn't know the interaction. I usually explain things what I'm about to do and give them a chance to respond, if I would win the game through it.

ADDITIONAL OPTIONAL THREAD QUESTION

How 'serious' are you guys about the rules and the takebacks? Scale of 1 to 10, where 1 is "anything goes, I'd let them undo a whole turn" and 10 is "Day 2 of a GP"

3 if kitchen table, 6 if store

Depends on how much I hate the person, but usually a 3 or 4

i basically always tell my opponents what i intend to do with my spell if it would be obvious to someone who knows how my deck works. so when i cast ashnod's altar i tend to say "i will probably win if you let this stick for a turn" or "i will be casting the tooth and nail i tutored for last turn to win the game so you should be focusing me"

also if my opponent is thinking about what he should remove from my table, i usually just tell them straight up what permanent would hurt me the most to lose

2 kitchen table, 4 store, and 8-9 with money on the line.

>which will go infinite with my Exquisite Blood if it resolves and I crack this fetchland. Response?".
But that's wrong

depends.
triggers you'll have topay attention to, if you miss a may trigger you missed it, no going back.
if you play a card that doesn't do what you thought it would because you forgot something was on the board etc. we also allow to undo it because we're usually quite high while playing but it's not anarchy because we actually want to improve our game

Players conceding at instant speed to fuck with combat damage triggers or spells on the stack

Shhhh it's okay, just pretend they said lightning bolt.

[ L E T Y O U R W I F E N A M E Y O U R
K I D S]

you clearly suck at it

is that a jojo reference?

>Shhhh it's okay
not that user but it's not okay, because that's not how the combo works.
Correcting someone because they misinterpret the rules is a good thing.

>Good commanders for a Timmy who loves green

tappedout.net/mtg-decks/mo-knows-overkill/

>I'd also prefer to win when all my opponents play optimally.
God damn, this is annoying sometimes. I have one friend who almost never interacts with the stack. It's frustrating to see him play sub-optimally and miss simple opportunities. There's only so much handholding you can do. At this point I just let him fuck up.

let me fix that for you

What is the best creature based combo deck. Derevi? General Tazri?

This Like that guy I don't have a thing about table talk or momentary distractions but if you are playing a game with 3+ other people waiting on you and needing your attention and proceed to not give the game the attention it strictly needs I'm going to turn into Evil user real quick.

is also pretty bad, to the point where we actually hit it with the houserule hammer here: "Scooping is a shortcut. If the rest of the game state needs to know what happened, it ALL happened" So no you can't concede just to deny the person who killed you their Lifelink, but you can start picking up your shortly-to-be nonexistant (in game) cards while we add up exactly how much that was.

Exceptions are, naturally, made for scoops NOT performed in the face of an incoming loss.

General Tazri
Prossh
Yisan
New Selvala
Old Selvaa
Karador boonweaver

Ghave