Looking for combat focused RPG

Is there any rpg available that has the following:

- combat focused
- no meta currency
- classless
- no paths, fate, career, lusts and other meta character building
- really big bestiary, ready out of the box content with no tweaking.

No luck so far. Any help? Can be any theme/setting, becouse most systems do not meet those points.

Other urls found in this thread:

1d4chan.org/wiki/Rob_Liefeld's_BLOODP.O.U.C.H
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

What the hell is "meta character building" supposed to mean?

Sorry, I meant character building that is not meant for combat or performing tasks.

Such as?
You examples tell me nothing.

1d4chan.org/wiki/Rob_Liefeld's_BLOODP.O.U.C.H

Four out of five ain't bad

Can't post the pdf directly because Veeky Forums thinks it has an embedded file.

For example:
jobs in Warhammer 2ed rpg
destiny/desires points, jobs, civilisation origin in Runequest

Does it have huge bestiary?

I said four out of five.

BLOODP.O.U.C.H. also has the great names chart. When I played I was Spikestrike.

Jobs in WFRPG 2e are relevant to combat and performing tasks.
I don't know anything about Runequest.

I fucked up this one, I wanted to say i don't want additional overhead in time cost of making characters.

Nevermind will make another nicer thread.

>additional overhead in time cost of making characters
That still doesn't make much sense.

Rolled 6, 2, 4, 5 = 17 (4d6)

ROLLING

WARSLASH

What is it there to not understand? I do not want to think about dude career and life choices when i create him.

So don't.
Why is the name of a mechanical concept such a big problem for you?

GURPS and just ignore everything not combat?

Honestly, games that are combat focused but don't have some method of making characters take roles (such as classes or skill/talent trees that may as well be classes) are few and far in-between, for a good reason.

And games that aren't popular simply won't have large bestiaries.

Gurps and huge bestiary and out of the box expierience? I have some pdfs, but they don''t seem to give that.

I think i made it clear in first post. You want to be butthurt over what other people want in their games? I do not want focus on careers and life paths. Playing game like warhammer or Runequest is a pain for me.

>combat focused

You mean "social combat"... right? Because I've never even heard of a game that "focused" on genuine combat, usually most RPGs solve problems and conflict using complex mathematically constructed rhetorical devices.

Wouldn't just having two character "hit" each other with "big sticks" or whatever be kinda boring to roll? Shouldn't that stuff be handled purely through role play rather than using mechanical subsystems?

Because I've never even heard of a game that "focused" on genuine combat

DnD? You get exp for killing stuff

I don't get your post.

>DnD? You get exp for killing stuff
Only if you have shitty GM. You're SUPPOSED to get exp for overcoming obstacles. This can sometimes mean killing stuff, but even then you're supposed to get the exact same amount of XP if you solve the encounter in some other way.

GODLIKE / Wild Talent is what you want

>I think i made it clear in first post.
You didn't.
Jobs in WFRPG 2e are a collection of character abilities. The names are just suggestions and nothing you have to engage with.

What I'm getting from your posts is that you just don't want mechanics to have names that imply roleplaying.

Open D6. If you don't have time to spare with non-combat stuff, then youwant a simple system.

>What I'm getting from your posts is that you just don't want mechanics to have names that imply roleplaying.

yes, hat implies i will have to tweak around in this and think about this stuff.

but that kinda is contrary to the next point of not having to tweak stuff:
>- really big bestiary, ready out of the box content with no tweaking.

Oh. Good point. Well i want to make rolls for hitting enemy with sticks so i'm fine with 'combat focused' label.

Thank you.
How do they fare with bestiary? I hope it does not suck ass like in all simple systems.

What? What is there to tweak?
Are you trying to tell me that calling a hammer a "knocky-stick" requires mental gymnastics?

Thinking if I want my character to be a fisherman, or a bearfucker, is additional tweaking. Not to mention magic system in warhammer is also some weird shit.
Or to think if he wants to sleep with his enemy in Runequest. Or whatever.

GODLIKE is set during WW2 so the bestiary is quite simple but detailed thoroughly in supplements : nazi, japs, allied forces, etc...

Wild Talent is lighter but gives you the tool to make anything quickly (there's even a one-roll char generator). Also the detailed setting/timeline is full of great stuff you can quickly use.

But most of all,n the ORE is imo so perfect you can adapt anything

No, you think whether you want the package of mechanical advantages that has the meaningless name of "fisherman" or "bearfucker".
Why do you act like ignoring a few words is a gargantuan intellectual task?

What did you not understand specifically?

Is getting the overall picture of what OP wanted such gargantuan intellectual task?

Wouldn't Willpower fall under the Meta Currency designation?

I get the overall picture, but it's unrealistic to nonsensical.

In what game? I don't think so, anyway. It's not a currency to begin with if it's not spent.

Perhaps. I'm not rpg system expert.

- more combat, less roleplaying
- classless
- really big bestiary, ready out of the box content with no tweaking.

How about now?

Most role playing games are designed around role playing a character, and so have a lot of, you know, character stuff. You're asking for something entirely combat based. Since you seem to be incapable of ignoring non combat stuff in games, you're asking something pretty unreasonable.

0xWOLFHUNT reporting for duty

Streetfighter the Storytelling Game?

Don't let the name fool you, it is not focussed on telling stories, it's focussed on dragon uppercuts and roundhouse kicks.

Combat Focussed: check
No Meta Currency: there is a honor/fame system, just ignore it, it doesn't matter anyway
Classless: check
No paths/career: Mostly yes, it has backgrounds for things like Mentors and Wealth, but it doesn't matter and no rules are really provided for it anyway.
Really Big Bestiary: No beasts, but the book Contenders has like 30 some streetfighters to pit against the PCs.

But DnD has good amount of combat. So other rpgs are not like DnD?

>- more combat, less roleplaying
>- classless

4e all commoner game.

Phoenix Command. It doesn't have a huge bestiary, but it's got everything else.

Thanks man, nice one. But the bestiary thing is a musthave for me. Will check out the system anyway, seems cool.

I mean, the Contenders book has plenty of weirdo cyborgs and monkeymen and unusual combatants. But it doesn't have like Dragons and Gelatinous Cubes and Demon Doggies or anything like that.

Easy enough to reflavor any of them into whatever you want.

>Will check out the system anyway
The system is World of Darkness.

...y tho?

it's technically "the storyteller system".

This is actually the sort of game I want to make but it's very much in the idea stage right now.

This reminds me, Street Fighter's combat system was ported into 2e World of Darkness in the book World of Darkness Combat. There are some decent ideas in that book worth porting back into Streetfighter, but I really don't think most Mage or Vampire games need such a developed combat system.

Is it really more combat, less roleplaying? It's about vampires hiding in society after all.

Is OP trolling?
Why not play a fucking videogame?
If combat is what you want and want mechanical depth and zero actual role playing then that's what you're looking for, a fucking videogame.

becouse it's awesome

But DnD, the biggest tabletop system fits OPs requirments, aside from the classless one.

Fight! and Trash are successor games.

I'd suggest Strike!, but it does use classes (although they have basically no fluff), unless you play Simple only, and the bestiary is weird and probably not expansive enough.

Not really
>- combat focused
D&D doesn't do this particularly well. Roll 1d20+mods ad nauseum. The only "interesting" mechanics is the spell list, and the good ones let you bypass combat entirely
>- no meta currency
Lol, it does now in 5e
>- classless
>- no paths, fate, career, lusts and other meta character building
Backgrounds. And backgrounds are -supposed- to have effects in 5e, even if DMs forget them.
I'll give you this one, but how many variation of always evil badguy humanoid do you really need?

>D&D doesn't do this particularly well. Roll 1d20+mods ad nauseum. The only "interesting" mechanics is the spell list, and the good ones let you bypass combat entirely
Still combat focused. It doesn't matter it's not deep.
>Lol, it does now in 5e.Backgrounds. And backgrounds are -supposed- to have effects in 5e, even if DMs forget them.

I don't see how OP is trolling if DnD, the most bought system did almost all he wanted. Does not matter if 5e is different now.

>I'll give you this one, but how many variation of always evil badguy humanoid do you really need?
You want to be butthurt becouse some people like it this way?

So ya really.

Battletech as a wargame campaign.
If you want the RPG with minimal RP and maximum G, I think that RPGs are just not the direction you want.

>No classes, often no characters
>It's combat with unit management in between the GM's missions
>Literal hundreds of mechs, tanks, etc.

All honesty though, from what you're saying, I don't think "RPG" is going to give you the feel you are looking for. If you don't dig mechs, I don't know what to tell you then. WHFB exists, but to my knowledge doesn't really have a campaign system with tracking units between missions.

> you want the RPG with minimal RP and maximum G
How about dnd 4e?

Classes, right?

OP here. At this point I'm getting desperate so I would throw this one out. So:

- more combat, less roleplaying
- really big bestiary
- ready out of the box content with no tweaking.

I think you mean Thrash. lol

Yeah, not OP here, but I'm a big fan of Fight!, Thrash, Strike! and Streetfighter. Been working on my own Streetfighter 2.0 for awhile, under the name "World Warrior". Still eons off from having something playable though.

>Minimum actual role-playing/engaging wit the fiction of the character

>Must have fucktons of monsters

>Combat focused.

So why are you not just playing a videogame?
I'm not saying that you can't play rpgs in whatever way you want, but you are kind of asking for something that sounds like you're choosing the wrong kind of game to begin with.

If you go to a pet store and say that you want a cat, but bigger, that follows commands and that's more loyal, people will look at you funny and ask if you've heard of dogs.

Or wait... I want the players to be able to get the gold/goal/assasination without a fight if they can. It's not necessarily with more combat.

- less roleplaying that isn't about gameplay
- really big bestiary
- ready out of the box content with no tweaking.

>If you go to a pet store and say that you want a cat, but bigger, that follows commands and that's more loyal, people will look at you funny and ask if you've heard of dogs.
Norwegian forest cat.

>So why are you not just playing a videogame?
It's fun, I can use Lego minifigs and play with my nephews. (They usually have ban on vidya games)

I've heard about Strike!. Hows it's bestiary?

The bestiary is decent. There are a variety monsters, divided into a few categories. You've got chaff minion type stuff, Titans which are enormous creatures ala Shadow of the Collosus or Zelda boss battles, and then there are rules for "unbeatable" monsters that challenge the team for situations like "free the princess and escape the dragons lair" type situations.

It isn't an alphabetical list of Angels through Yeti's so calling it a bestiary isn't really appropriate. There are also substantial sections on how to make your own monsters.

for OP's purposes, Strike is not at all what you're looking for. It's a generic system which your expected to reskin as needed for your own story. While it does tactical combat well, it won't work for lazy dms, which the OP appears to be.

if you're looking for a game to play with children or young teens, 5e D&D is a pretty decent place to start. It's simple and mostly focussed on the hack and slash stuff. The bestiary's are pretty pathetic at this point though.