Chronological Magic

I have a proposal for an user who is as interested in gaming history as I am.

One of the things that has always interested me is how Magic the Gathering has evolved as various sets are released. I've been fooling around on Cockatrice, and I'm really enjoying the limited format. I thought I'd try to merge the two - MtG history and limited.

Basically I'm looking for someone to play limited Magic with in chronological order. The schedule I was thinking was this:

>Week one, play four games of Unlimited sealed (or Alpha, or Beta, but Unlimited would save time)

>Week two, play four games of sealed, three boosters of Unlimited, three of Arabian

>Week three, four games of sealed, three boosters of Unlimited, one of Arabian, two of Antiquities

With a reset after every core set.

I'll handle the scheduling, which will probably get complex with the shake ups in releases, but my primary goal is to get a good mix of sets in a sealed deck so that it's 'really like' playing in 93, or 2001, or what have you.

Anyone interested, let me know your Cockatrice name. I'll work on a schedule and get it to you.

Also:

>Why sealed?
Because I'm not a fantastic MtG player, and am more interested in the history aspect. I do love the game, though. Just not the best at creating constructed decks.

Bump.

Well I could do that on Xmage, I just cant promise to stick to precise days

You're going to play with rules from those sets too right? Or are you some kind of casual who doesn't want to bring the Batch back for a few more games?

It'd have to be cockatrice, sorry mate.

I didn't plan on it, unless those rule changes are explicitly mentioned on the cards and doable over the course of a game of sealed.

I have weeks planned out to fourth edition.

I should note that the main barrier for not using set-specific rule guidelines is that I'm not sure if good scans of those set rulebooks exist beyond Alpha.

Bump out of interest.

For such a popular game it's really a shame that there's not that much documentation of the early days.

Hell, I absolutely love learning about old archaic things in games, looking at what they offered and why they're not there anymore.

Same here, which is the main reason I'd like to get a chronological series of games going.

Remind me how the Batch worked?

It was an early prototype for the stack, but some cards (like interrupts) were resolved first.

OP, I hope you find someone!

One more bump.

What set do you plan on doing this to?

Good question. Probably up to Origins or something. I'm not in any rush to get it over with. We can go as far or as the other person would like.

Remember that time Spider-Man had an Invasion poster?

Very interesting. Old school Magic really captures the zeitgeist of the late 90's/early 2000's.

What do you mean by a 'reset'?

Just that, once we reach a new core set, we'll do a full sealed game of just that sick and then restart on the expansions.

Xmage would be a much better program to do this type of thing on.

Why is that? How does it differ from Cockatrice?

You can play actual drafts on xmage with friends/computers. You may be able to play limited sealed on it as well. Its worth looking into, it changed my life.

Batch worked like such: players responded to stuff like they do now, but when the last guy stops responding, all spells and abilities on stack resolve in one go without anybody being able to add anything to the pile until it was empty. Countering spells didn't use the batch, instead everything that targeted spells had the card type Interrupt, and could only be responded to by other Interrupts. Damage prevention effects had a special timing slot entirely for them, and targeted the actual damage points when cast (!). This meant that you couldn't cast them pre-emptively, something had to actually be damaged. Creatures and players didn't die immediately when they had lethal damage on them, instead they only died when the batch was empty, so you couldn't stop a Giant Growth with a Lightning Bolt. Players only died if they were at zero life at the end of a phase, meaning if they could scrape themselves back to positive life before then, they survived.

Other stuff of note: if a blocking creature was tapped for any reason, it dealt no damage in combat. Artifacts that were tapped for any reason lost all their abilities until they were untapped (and don't ask me how the fuck Mana Vault worked under that rule), but only if they were noncreature artifacts.

Also, mana burn was a thing.

Mulligans were much more strict. You could only mulligan if you had all lands or no lands, or if your opponent mulliganed. Your second hand had the full seven cards.

Alright, let me check it out. I'm down to change clients.

One cool thing, I don't remember if it was a rule or just a recommendation, was that you could actually take back your plays if neither you nor your opponent did anything in between. That would be a nightmare in a modern-day cutthroat tournament setting but the game was originally designed for kitchen tables, not tryharding.

Not that user, but I'd like to thank you for this explanation.

I think only mono artifacts lost their abilities when tapped. I think you also had to tap them to use them. Poly artifacts were the opposite.

Not a huge fan of the interface. Setting up sealed is as simple as going to dr4ft and uploading the .dec to Cokatrice.

Anyone here interested?

No, originally it applied to continuous artifacts, but when Revised edition removed the Mono, Poly and Continuous subtypes from the game, it started applying to every artifact that wasn't an artifact creature.

i am very sorry to say no, very nice initiative, but i prefer looking at cards to playing when i feel like discovering old magic.

Alright.

This sounds cool. If I'm free when it comes up I'll join but that's only if you remember to make threads ahead of time every week, I'm not going to look for this off of tg.

Just give me your Cockatrice nick and we can communicate there.

making a thread for an appointment for two poeple only sounds like a very shit idea, maybe a thread with your experiences would be nice, but you two would better schedule in a private manner.

Bump.

people don't get mad at you for not shuffling after searching your deck.

My username is Muaddib

Added you. Will try to catch you online. Let me know if you see this post, and stick around.

Also you could go below 0 life and still live, at least until the end of turn, at which point you would die.

I played back in Revised. Ask me anything.

We used to put our lands in front of our creatures. Now, it looks like they play the lands behind the creatures.

That's odd, I did most of my playing not that long afterwards (around Ice Age), and we usually put the lands off to the right side, in a vertical row, with creatures, enchantments, artifacts, other permanents in rows to the left. Enchantments were usually the front, then creatures, then artifacts, but this was hardly universal.

I like the idea that tapped blockers deal no damage.

Alright, I'm interested. Have been playing Magic for about 1,5 years now, mostly limited. Not a "fantastic player", but would like to become one someday, so this sounds like a nice idea to improve. I love Cockatrice, my name there is rumowl (vps.poixen.com 4747). I must warn though that building up the plays schedule can be difficult with me because I'm pretty sure we are in different timezones and I sometimes get pretty busy irl on top of that.