Thinning paints... why?

I don't get it. If the paints were meant to be thinner, they'd be sold at a thinner consistency. So why waist the time and paint? It's not like watering it down makes it look any better. In fact, it just makes the paint all streaky and uneven.

Stop with your stupid ironic memefaggotry, all they do is make new painters feel like they're doing something wrong.

Pic unrelated.

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=m3p_VuPIS2c
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

youtube.com/watch?v=m3p_VuPIS2c

>If the paints were meant to be thinner, they'd be sold at a thinner consistency.
And then you'd get less work out of the same volume of paint. This is a pretty consistent practice with all forms of paint, from artistic uses to houses.

This is bait right? You only have to add a small amount of water to the paint. You get a smoother paint job with 2 to 3 layers of slightly thinned paint than one thick layer. Also sometimes you don't need to thin paint, such as when painting large areas or drybrushing.

Adding thinner to paint activates a chemical process in the paint that actually makes it level and bond better. Paints are made with adding thinner in mind from the start.

Take your memefaggotry somewhere else, memefaggot.
>"omg le thin ur paientz lelelelelelelelele"
>you

Also, some companies do sell pre-thinned paint. Usually intended for airbrushing.

>such as when painting large areas

Unless by large areas you mean something like the wall of a house you typically want to still thin your paints for scale modeling. On larger areas unthinned paints tend to dry noticeably unevenly and develop brush marks pretty badly compared to a couple of layers of thinned paint.

>And then you'd get less work out of the same volume of paint. This is a pretty consistent practice with all forms of paint, from artistic uses to houses.
You can add water to Coke so that a bottle will last longer, doesn't mean it's what you're meant to do.

>2 to 3 layers
Stop wasting time. No wonder you all whine about being such slow fucking painters. Why bother with this?

>adding thinner to blah blah blah
Sauce?

You can add water to Coke so that a bottle will last longer, doesn't mean it's what you're meant to do.

Holy shit

Just make sure your brush is always wet. It isn't that fucking hard.

Nice le maymay, memetard.

So, is OP trolling, retarded, or both? Takin' all bets!

A portion of all wagers will be set aside to get OP into an art class so he can be beaten over the head with a palette until he stops bein' a jackass!

What does art class have to do with using paints properly? Seriously, why sell thicker paint if it's not meant to be thick?

Sir, please refrain from trying to influence the betting.

There is no chemical reaction. Adding thinner instead of water helps improve flow and leveling because thinner mediums aren't just pure acrylic medium, they often contain things like flow aids and surfactants to improve flow and leveling ability.

Holy kek I fucked

I have 5 on retarded! As a gallery painter, while unthinned paints feel better, thin is the proper path to having realistic form!

Doing the emperors work user.

By thinner I meant "Whatever the hell you're adding to the paint to thin it out", not specifically acrylic thinner from a bottle. Even just thinning with water results in a better bond.

Troll from the responses half way through the thread.

>Even just thinning with water results in a better bond.

I don't think there's a chemical difference, it's just that unthinned paint is thicker and thicker paint is easier to peel off.

Shipping costs, for starters.

20 on troll. Specifically a troll that is too retarded to understand the argument between "to thin or not to thin".

>You can add water to Coke so that a bottle will last longer, doesn't mean it's what you're meant to do.
Paint is not a beverage.

Stop drinking paint. Your brain damage is showing.

>Adding water to cement... why?
I don't get it. If cement was meant to be a paste, it would be sold as a paste. So why waist the time and cement? It's not like watering it down makes it look any better. In fact, it just makes the cement all gooey and sticky.

Stop with your stupid ironic memefaggotry, all they do is make new bricklayers feel like they're doing something wrong.

Pic related.

Neatness notwithstanding, thinning paint allows you to regulate the intensity of the layer and paint into tiny crevices by allowing the paint to flow in there.

Now the absolute faggots who tell that THOU MUST use a wet pallet should be drowned by submerging their fat faces in a wet pallet.

>If the paints were meant to be thinner, they'd be sold at a thinner consistency.

:^)

It's the Anti-Duncan! SHUN HIM! SHUN THE ANTI-DUNCAN BEFORE HIS HERESY OF 'ONE THICK LAYER AND NO POINT ON YOUR BRUSH' CAN SPREAD!

>NO POINT ON YOUR BRUSH
>tfw your brush tip forms a line and not a point

Mine forms an asymptote.

>Stop wasting time. No wonder you all whine about being such slow fucking painters. Why bother with this?

because it creates more even coverage of pigment

it's like you've never painted a fence

both

Betting a ring of dried paint from a shitty GW pot seal on retarded.

inb4 "b-b-but the gw pots are ok everyone just uses them wrong!!!1

I've never onderstood this either, it's just a matter of not overloading your brush.

You know, aplying restaint rather than slavishly following the opinion of some people who have found a workaround that means they don't have to actually apply skill.

Also, I have found various GW paints to be too thin to start off, let alone after thinning them. It's one of the reasons (the other being the exhorbitant cost) that I have given up on them and gone over to other brands.