EDH/Commander General

Big Huge Timmy Creatures edition

Old thread: RESOURCES

>Official Site: Contains deck building rules and the current ban list.
mtgcommander.net

>Deck List Site: You can search for decks that other people have made. Authors often have comments that explain their deck’s strategy and card choices.
tappedout.net

>Another resource for commander discussion; they have an entire forum dedicated to discussing decks. People often make primers, which go into detail about how they built and play their deck.
mtgsalvation.com/forums/the-game/commander-edh

>Statistically see what everyone else puts in their commander decks based on what is posted to the the internet.
edhrec.com/

>Find out what lands you can add to your deck, sorted by category, based on a chosen Commander’s color identity.
manabasecrafter.com/

CARD SEARCHING

>Official search site. Current for all sets.
gatherer.wizards.com/

>Unofficial, but has GOAT search interface.
magiccards.info/

>Thread question
What's your favorite enormous creature?

Other urls found in this thread:

tappedout.net/mtg-decks/gitfrog-has-landed-1/
tappedout.net/mtg-decks/ideal-zedruu/
tappedout.net/mtg-decks/jhoira-of-the-big-dudes-and-ruined-friendships/.
tappedout.net/mtg-decks/the-frog-is-loose/
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

yo this guy is fun as fuck

>drain a billion life
>use that life to draw a billion cards
>keep casting a goofy lifegain cards while building your pillowfort
>play an aetherflux reservoir and threaten to dunk anyone who tries to mess with you

so fun

SHOW ME YOUR GITROG DECK

>What's your favorite enormous creature?
Small in stature but enormous in ability

What's a good reactive and/or interactive spellslinging commander?
I don't want the regular 30_minute_turn_into_storm.dec or durdle_until_infinite_combo.dec, I just want instant/sorcery synergy and less focus on creatures than my other decks.

>Favorite enormous creature
You already posted him. Thromok is easily the most fun Timmy deck I've ever played. The first time I took it out with my playgroup, they didn't understand what Devour X meant, so they were extremely caught off guard when a 100/100 Thromok with haste hit the field. Now it's basically impossible for me to keep him in play for more than 1 turn cycle since Gruul doesn't have much in the way of counters or giving hexproof/indestructible.

Mizzix never hurts at the command zone of a spellslinging deck.

Riku may be used as a doubler of utility spells, so does Melek. Jeleva to cast them for free if they are really big and you want black.

>tappedout.net/mtg-decks/gitfrog-has-landed-1/
Here's mine. Haven't updated the list for a while though

Gruul has everything for giving hexproof nigga, it's the best hexproof color there is. Also, regenerate.

But do you have a list? I'm planning on building daddy thrommy.

>Thromok
My nigga. My playgroup thought devour x meant "devour two creatures, now it's a 2/2". Then my 121/121 thromok entered with a warstorm surge on the field, killing my first opponent, then attacked with haste and trample (fires of yavimaya and the rage pit), slamming another fool, and then got sacrificed to altar of dementia, killing the last opponent.

After that they were a little more wary.

Nekusar and leovald sling spells well. Both are cancer but both are fun. You can also play tasigur if you are a fan of fof and want to throw the same spells many times.

Wouldn't that be simic?

Yeah, simic would be the best 2 color combo, I said gruul instead of green, my bad.

Anything with green has good protection options for creatures though.

>some trostani playing fucko has no blockers
>attack with kambal
>unblocked
>mfw
>cast hatred for 50 life
>one shot him

this commander is fucking awesome

>immediately remember i could've just paid 19 and he would've died just the same

oops i still won though

i just got my tax refund, should i build omnath or kozilek with it?

i'd build omnath but that's just my personal preference as a person who enjoys good decks

>2 out of 3 decks have black
>want to build another black deck

fuck me

seems like the only archetypes i enjoy are "big creatures that burn and smash" and "just black things.dek + maybe another color"

> Big Huge Timmy Creatures edition

Fucking sweet, I've been working on a Thromok deck ever since he was discussed here a couple threads ago. I'll post a list later when I get off work, I'd like some feedback if y'all would be so kind.

> Thread question

I don't know if this guy counts as a huge creature, but I fucking love it.

You can't regenerate sac effects. And even if you could, well, "may"

Build Gay Greeks

Kek I do the same in Oloro, got someone really mad by doing it with a shadowmagr infiltrator. He raged for like 2 minutes, and got even more mad when I said "and I get to draw a card :^)" afterwards.

okay but can i splash black for fleshbag marauder?

Go green red, its pretty close to big black.

Kozilek is buckets of fun, people are always sweating for the first few turns, scared of a turn 3 kozilek.

>4 of my 7 decks are esper
I know your pain.

i know, that's what my third deck is

my decks are monoblack, dimir and a 95% RG temur deck

i want to build orzhov now

Are you saying that you can sac a creature to e.g ashnod's and then save it by regenerating? Because that's absolutely wrong.

>You can't regenerate sac effects

play vial smasher and ravos.

>You can't regenerate sac effects. And even if you could, well, "may"

>You can't regenerate sac effects. And even if you could, well, "may"
>you cant regenerate sac effects
>you cant regenerate
>cant regenerate

>Are you saying that you can sac a creature to e.g ashnod's and then save it by regenerating?

reading comprehension, motherfucker. do you speak it?!

Me except with blue, it's so bad it effects my drafting decisions sometimes. I just wanna draw cards and say no

>and then got sacrificed to altar of dementia, killing the last opponent.
>not flinging it like a degenerate
Do you even FUN

But yeah, I also have a Thromok and it's just so fun to play, even though it's extremely hard to get back after board wipes

i just wanna draw cards and give people stuff to say no to

I will now bathe in my shame.

Sorry, Shame is unblockable and has double-strike.

You made a mistake, learned from it, and owned up to it.

What's there to be ashamed of?

>Devouring a bunch of tokens, Anger, and Brawn to give Thromok hyperspeed skullfucking power
>Equip Sword of F&F with Aggravated Assault out
>annihilate the table

My group got so mad after that

To be fair, the picture of a massive worm creature wielding a sword is a little silly.

>He doesn't rip off his own skin, revealing himself to be a skeleton all along, murder someone, and take their skin for yourself whenever he makes a mistake

Who said he needs to wield it? Just tape it to the side of him.

Fuck I just laughed audibly at work and everyone looked at me weird kek.

Krosan Cloudscrapper

>5 of 6 decks contain red
>already planning another Gruul deck

Weird red bullshit is a hell of a drug.

This motherfucker made for some bigass slivers, especially when I had Coat of Arms down.

Somebody drew up a meme where they ranked Commanders by how weird the people playing them are. Can someone help me out?

To be fair, Red's one of the best ways to have honest to God fun during EDH games.

Sup /edhg/

My beautiful new Land Tax has just arrived, and I'm agonizing over what to remove to add it to my deck. Not sure whether I can afford to take out a land (a basic? Prairie Stream?). Wouldn't that leave me too few lands?

tappedout.net/mtg-decks/ideal-zedruu/

Gin and Juice, Core Baller seems good, but I would be worried about decking myself.

Jori en ruin diver

>He raged for like 2 minutes, and got even more mad when I said "and I get to draw a card :^)"
Best feel

Just a reminder that the singleton format doesn't do anything to negate the fact EDH is rapidly moving to widespread optimization with strictly better piles of 99.

But it has no tournaments and no metagame, and it is being played in isolated playgroups, which means that the quality of your deck doesn't have to be top-notch to compete.

If you're drawing a new grip every turn, your opponents should be crushed by sheer card advantage long before that's an issue.

Also, there's cards to shuffle your graveyard back into your library just in case.

Negate? No. Slow down? Yes.

The biggest thing to counteract 'optimization with strictly better piles' is people who acknowledge that their decks are suboptimal, but don't give a fuck because they're playing for grinz instead of winz.

>no metagame
>isolated playgroups

Have you seen EDHREC?

Ehhhh, this logic doesn't work well because it's a multiplayer format. If two players are running similar decks, but one has cards that are all slightly more subpar, I will aim for the guy with the better cards first because I assume I will have better odds when it comes down to the 1v1 later on. In this way running weaker cards is superior. It's pretty hard to solve multiplayer.

EDHREC is not an accurate microcosm of EDH playgroups, and I'd bet money that there's more groups that never utilize it than groups who do.

I have zur doomsday and an untouched precon (red 2015) what should I make for the times when I dont want to roll face but also want to play a non-precon deck

give me your 75% meme decks

user, EDHrec is supposed to give you starting points, not craft your deck for you.

EDHREC is literally "Timmy's allstars" for a certain general, it is by no means a guide to optimizing a ceompetitive deck.

So bullying keeps the format in check? How is this an argument against the phenomemon of increasing optimization? Do you realize that each player in a multiplayer game can use an optimized deck? Do you think that people can have fun playing with fully optimized decks?

I understand that some people don't care about being competitive, but EDH is slowly becoming another powerlevel shitfest.

The fattest of Green fatties.

>>So bullying keeps the format in check?

not him, but yes, in the way that you will get bullied out of a group entirely if all the stuff you play is boring scrubby spike shit, ie. tutor wincons as soon as possible

Where I play EDH has already divided itself into Comp & Casual. Casual pretty much just means no infinite loops (infinite mana in general is a gray area that varies by individual) or MLD.
Powerwhale cancerspikes get their "play solitaire for 20 minutes and say 'I win'" games and jank-king bumblefucks can have their "6 turns of land drops into every leviathan the world has ever seen" games.

Now that you mention it, I run him in my Jhoira xbox huge guys deck and I'm pretty heavy on extra turns spells. I was thinking of taking one out for Time Reversal. It seems like it would work well with Jin plus be more fun overall

The format as a whole, no. Playgroups, yes. If you're the bigger threat, people will treat you like it, and you'll have a disproportionate amount of disruption aimed at you.

EDH -in some areas- is becoming a powerlevel shitfest, just like it has been since back when it wasn't called Commander. There is no 'global Commander metagame' to worry about. Some shops are still bashing Craw Wurms into each other, and some are full of Food Chain Tazri and Doomsday piles. What keeps the power level 'in check' is what that particular group decides is the breaking point where 'strong' becomes 'unfun'.

Expect a lot of hate leveled at you. Jin paints a motherfucker of a target on you because it turns it into Luck: the Topdecking for your opponents while you're drawing 8 cards a turn.

Molimo, Maro-Sorcerer.
>but user that creature's not enormous
Bitch you ain't seen my Molimo.

>phenomemon of increasing optimization?
just because the people who make yoututbe content range from HOLY CRAP PALAKA WURM IS SECRET TECH to turn 3 doomsday doesnt mean the overall meta has changed
usually a group that goes through an arms race will look back at the more casual decks and eventually keep one or two highly tuned high tier decks but go back to brewing lesser ones.

THREAD QUESTION 2

How do you sort your collection?

Hey man, fuck you, Pelaka Wurm is fun.

Isn't that how the 'arms race' usually goes?

You start with '100 cards I own' or modified precons, build more synergistic and coherent decks, get to a breaking point where you're on the verge of dipping into Doomsday and Stax and shit, and either the group breaks or it jumps back to playing casual shit?

Yeah I pretty much expect that. People usually shit their pants when they see Jhoira and I'm target from turn one. I run a shitload of MLD and fewcounterspells to help defend. I want the rest of the table to have fun too though so it's mostly big Timmy creatures and less extra turns

I'm always in favor of "I swear it's not what it looks like" versions of hated Commanders.

Underrated post.
Also, plz show me your Molimo.

I mean it's not the usual super degenerate Jhoira. Here's the list: tappedout.net/mtg-decks/jhoira-of-the-big-dudes-and-ruined-friendships/. I'm trying to find a way to include Platinum Emperion and Tromokratis

How will the meta resist the inclusion of cards like Command Tower, Commander's Sphere, Opal Palace, and Command Beacon?

The format is a victim of its own success.

Pretty easily, since Opal Palace sucks in any deck that's not winning via Commander damage and Sphere/Beacon aren't even close to auto-includes, and Command Tower is barely worth the slot in 2 color decks and utterly worthless in mono?

...but they're still printing cards specifially for the format. I fear that this practice will only increase because the market is viable. As more and more cards are printed for EDH, they will become more and more widely adopted. This will eventually lead to centralized standards and lots of automatic inclusions.

I hope that I'm dead wrong, by the way.

That only could possibly apply if the cards are powercreeped to become significant inclusions.
The only one you listed that is any sort of strict improvement is Command Tower. And thus multicolor decks love to have a single one of their basic lands replaced by a card. Hardly format damaging.

>resist the inclusion of cards that are either mediocore or command tower
geez idk
Command tower is a great card, a signature card for the format and an extremely affordable card that is available to everyone. These are all good things. The other cards dont see that much play outside of specific decks that can abuse them
>paying 3 mana for a manarock
>ever

Dude, where have you been? They've been printing cards 'specifically for' Commander since it was still called EDH. It's just that until they officially recognized it they couldn't really do cards that interact specifically with the RULES the way Command Tower and Opal Palace and shit do.

And I think they know better than to go apeshit with Command Tower level 'auto-includes'. I'm a big fan of things like Opal Palace, which interact well with certain commanders, but aren't an auto-include in every deck. And they caught a lot of flak for Derevi and Oloro, so I think they're gonna be more careful about things that interact with the Commnader rules in unfun ways.

Only thing I dont really like is the commanders, who are only created to be commanders and thus often to optimized, like Atraxa, Ghave, Meren ,Derevi, etc

>Opal Palace sucks in any deck that's not winning via Commander damage
Ghave and his fuckbillion Saprolings say hi

Honestly, having to pay 1 extra mana to give Ghave one more counter isn't even worth the slot to me. I'd rather run Oran-Rief.

tappedout.net/mtg-decks/the-frog-is-loose/

Hasn't been updated in a month but the only changes I made were

>vulturous zombie -> one with nothing
>garruk wildspeaker -> overwhelming stampede

>One with Nothing

Strong commanders warp the format for optimization, sure, but that's mitigated by it being a multiplayer format.
When people see you playing Prossh, they know they have to behead you first.
And if everyone's playing combo-out cancerspike, then find a different playgroup.

>>vulturous zombie -> one with nothing
user, there is no synergy here. Just so you know.

"Bullying" (if that's what you want to call it) is the nature of a multiplayer format. Imminent threats are what people aim their removal at. While you could argue that some removal will always be better than others, you don't just have removal in the 99, you have to put ways to win in there too. People that use subpar threats in a group with a couple people running dangerous ones tend to get more ignored. Everyone will gun for a foodchain in tazri or prosh, people kill zur before he swings, etc. The best threats in the format are usually obnoxiously telegraphed, and people prepare for those and let lesser ones through. If I am holding up spot removal for foodchain that I think someone just tutored for, something derpy like mycoloth can get through.

The mycoloth player might also be keeping removal up for other big threats, and so on and so forth, but people don't have infinite pieces of removal. Usually you let the bad stuff through, and that gives it a better chance at sneaking a win.

That being said, metas can develop in wierd ways. I think what your saying is in an environment with no or little removal, just having the fastest 99 makes your deck the best, since you are all just trying to goldfish fast, and just one person alone can't police 3 other decks, so a meta shift is a group thing rather than one an individual can force.

>this tard bitching about power creep in EDH
No. Like people in this thread have been saying, unless you have a high power group, you build 2 or 3 "mean" decks, then never play them in favour of janky suboptimal bullshit, because Brago is literally never fun.

That being said, since the backlog of cards is so huge, unless you're rich, or dedicated, you will only have cards form when you thought cracking packs was cool, and whatever specific singles you've bought to flesh out your decks. This matters because it's logistically difficult to purchase a 100 card singleton deck online, particularly at a high price point, let alone understand how to build something not-terrible without getting blown out for months with a pile of incomprehensible garbage.

Game breaking commanders are found from every kind of printing, be it printed for Standard (Narset, Gitrog), other formats (Brago, Leovold), or are ancient history (Zur, Sisay).

Obviously I took out vulturous zombie you dipshits. One with nothing works with gitrog if I have full land hand or want to dredge quick

>Zur
>Ancient History
hah, look at thi
>Coldsnap Release date: July 21, 2006
>Ten years, 7 months, 2 days ago
Holy fucking shit

I understand you took out Zombie for One, I'm wondering why the fuck you're playing it. If you cast One with Nothing with a hand of 6 lands, you draw 1 card. Yeah it's okay for getting your whole hand into the graveyard, but why not play better discard outlets that'd let you ditch lands one at a time for maximum value, or are usable more than once? Shit like Putrid Imp and Wild Mongrel?

>Gitrog's ability only triggers once even with mass discard

Well fuck I didn't know, I guess I'll take it out and put in something better. gitrog isn't as strong as I thought and now I don't feel like playing it anymore

Yep! "Whenever one or more" means that you only get one trigger, even if 5 lands hit the graveyard at once.

Gitrog also has the nasty downside of being targeted for everything. That meme is right, Gitrog gets fucked harder than anything else

Im sorry playgroup.

Yep figures every commander I play is shit

Noyan Dar is an interesting way to do spell slinger.

Run down your opponents with the land beats.