/5eg/ Fifth Edition General: Artificer edition

>New Unearthed Arcana: Mass Combat
media.wizards.com/2017/dnd/downloads/2017_UAMassCombat_MCUA_v1.pdf
>Don't forget to fill out the official survey for Warlocks and Wizards.
sgiz.mobi/s3/2c8ddcde043d
>New Plane Shift: Kaladesh
media.wizards.com/2017/downloads/magic/Plane-Shift_Kaladesh.pdf

>Official /5eg/ Mega Trove v4b
mega.nz/#F!z8pBVD4Q!UIJWxhYEWy7Xp91j6tztoQ

>Pastebin with resources and so on:
pastebin.com/X1TFNxck

>5etools
5egmegaanon.github.io/5etools/5etools.html

>Previously, on /5eg/
I remind you to fill the survey for warlocks and wizards. WoTC should get as much feedback on Loremaster as possible.

First for new elemental cantrips.

Someone make some cantrips that deal some mundane damage types (bludgeon, slashing or piercing).

Are you saying your DM is disallowing Foci?
The random ass components are intentionally replaced by a focus, and are freely stocked and assumed restocked in a component pouch. Most also aren't consumed anyway.
Yes, the idea is that you grow goodberries on your mistletoe sprig, but thats all flavor, the only time you should ve worrying about non-costly components are when gear is lost, which theoretically nerfs everybody. Except Monks i guess.

Eh, they wouldn't do much because they'd be magical, unless you explicitly said they didn't do magical damage. Realistically they would be Force damage tier.

How does having a wagon not help with carry weight? Just lug whatever the fuck you want to carry there and weight turns into a nonissue
And if he's disallowing spell focus without a spectacular justification I'd just respec, sudoku my char or go to another table

Nah i mean stuff that let's you deal those damage types with magic.

I.e.
>wind blade/water jet for slashing damage
>rock-hammer/ice ball for bludgeon damage
>earth-spear/ice-arrow for piercing damage

Most of these should be under transmutation magic too.

So how do I run a john wick game in this edition?

Everyone is Fighter/Rogue gishes with hand crossbows, sharpshooter and crossbow expert.

No magic allowed.

There you go.

I think you'd need called shot rules. Also, gishes implies a magic class.

>gishes with no magic

You misunderstand my point, there is next to nothing that cares about magical physical damage, you have almost no resistances, same with immunities, and only a handful of vulnerabilities.
In terms of mechanical strength, magical psb is nearly the same as force, but kills Rakshasas, Skeletons and Zombies harder.

>eldritch knight/arcane trickster multiclass
there ya go nerds

What a retarded idea.

Use a different system.

Two classes that both use magic? I'm really not understanding how you aren't realising the problem.

I think you're confused user. This thread is for D&D 5e, not Shadowrun 5e.

You make the characters all take backstories that tie into being agents or former agents of a powerful crime family and have them go on a combat-heavy revenge quest.

I realise you have a shit definition of what a gish is.

Have you seized the means of production today, /5eg/?

Cool fallen Oath paladin concept user, gonna use it for an Antagonist.

These /pol/adins make me want to punch you in the neck.

Just because we need to clarify you're talking about gishes and no magic allowed in the same sentence.

>average human in 5e sprints at 60' per 6 seconds
>average adult male in real life jogs at 73' per 6 seconds
>Grandmaster Monk Wood Elf with the Mobile feat is slower than the modern athlete
>can't make Usain Bolt without the use of magic
Explain.

>turn the bourgeois
yessss

Usain is a Monk with feats
Everyone else is carrying around a bunch of armor and weapons and potions and supplies, except the wizard who is carrying around a tome(s), wizard bullshit, a staff and a pet.

Also it isn't a TT Track and field simulator.

>Internationale plays in the distance

Are you interested in a free helicopter ride?

Oh come on, at least there hasn't been an Oath of Social Justice or an Oath of Ethnic Supremacy so far.

>running in a fight, watching out for projectiles and stray blows, carrying gear, saving your breath for the next turns of action while in possibly subpar terrain is the same as giving all you got in a track while rested, completely focused on the run

obviously NEETs are opposed to the idea of the working man

>"the Sprint action OBVIOUSLY isn't meant to represent sprinting"

Someone a few threads ago made an AnCap Paladin, so there's that.

>Oath of Get Off My Property

>Human
>Elf

You suck at making gofast.

Tabaxi can break the sound barrier, so Usain Bolt is 2slow.

Nice try, but Marx was a NEET.

>the sprinting action OBVIOUSLY means you stop caring about what's happening in the battle

What would be an interesting new class, instead of a new archetype? What could still fit into the system?

>average adult male in real life jogs at 73' per 6 seconds
That would be just under 50mph.

The Mystic.

FUCK YOU WIZARDS GIVE ME THE MYSTIC

Let me know what a Sprint action is, cause it isn't from 5e.

Now, let's calculate 6mph to feet/second for you because you're clearly a retard baby. If you know how to multiply numbers by 6 (unlike the user above) you might see a problem already.

Warlord.
> inb4 "But battlemaster..."
No.

It doesn't even have anything to do with the definition of gish, which it looks like you are the one who is confused about anyway. You said no magic and yet named two classes that both use magic.

But, because user seems to think we're all Doomguy let's finish this for him. Oh look, a generous estimate of a jogging speed is, in fact, just about 60 feet/6 seconds.

me

not me

>Oath of Ethnic Supremacy

Hm...

>Turn the Inferior
>As an action, you tip your MAGA hat and speak scientific facts about the inferiority of lesser races, using your Channel Divinity. Each humanoid of a race other than your own can see or hear you within 30 feet of you must make a Wisdom saving throw. If the creature fails its saving throw, it is turned for 1 minute or until it takes damage.
>A turned creature must spend its turns trying to move as far away from you as it can, and it can't willingly move to a space within 30 feet of you. It also can't take reactions. For its action, it can use only the Dash action or try to escape from an effect that prevents it from moving. If there's nowhere to move, the creature can use the Dodge action.

It could work.

So you are just pointing out you didn't actually read what the conversation was about and suggested 2 classes that didn't fit?

>Grandmaster Monk Wood Elf with the Mobile feat is slower than the modern athlete
They would have a movement speed of 80ft (30+10+10+30) which would let them run 240ft/round (or 320 if they dipped fighter for action surge).
Usain Bolt did 328ft (100m) in about 9.6 seconds, which is 1.5 rounds.

This is all ignoring the fact that a sprinter running a race and a warrior rushing around a battlefield are in two very different situations.

We have

- Hits other people with shit (Fighter)
- Gets angry and hits other people with shit (Barbarian)
- Stays calm and kicks people in the beans (Monk)
- Furfag (Druid)
- Furfag who hits other people with shit (Ranger)
- Magic man (Wizard)
- Gay magic man (Sorcerer)
- Muh god (Cleric)
- Hits other people with shit for muh god (Paladin)
- License to be a fag (Rogue)
- xXEdgMastrr420xx (Warlock)
- Manslut (Bard)

If you want a new class just add "furfag" "muh god", "magic man" or "hits other people with shit" to a class that doesn't already have them.

Congratulations, next week you may have Mass Combat Errata

A class that has a sub class devoted to dancing with fairies in the woods is edgemaster?

>furfag Paladin is now superdruid

>- Gay magic man (Sorcerer)

Still laughing

Read some CtL and acknowledge that fairies can be edgy as fuck.

Well, just wrote an 8 page backstory for my character. I wonder if it's comes off as stupid to anyone else. I think it sounds okay though. I'll have to wait until Sunday before anyone else reads it though.

>implying anyone will read it

>the fae are cute faeries!

The fae are baby stealing rape cannibals.

>Hits other people with shit

Good thing that is a unique niche not filled by any other class...

oh wait

Should have been called Oath of Unity or similar, Oath of the Commin Man is too much of a mouthful

I'm in favor of fighters not existing either, user.

Now according to the same sources, the average human sprint speed is about 15mph. We can do the same maths to find out that's 22 feet/second, or a D&D speed of 132. Because this is 5E, we can assume a Sprint action denies you Dex to AC and requires your full attention on the round you use it, because unlike Move+Dash you have no regard for anything but speed in this circumstance.

For Usain, his top recorded speed is 27.7mph, which we can translate to 243.76002 feet per round.

Doing the maths backwards, we can see D&D would consider your base movement speed to be rounded out to be about 27% of your maximum possible speed in a sprint (technically 27.72727272...). Usain (assuming his speed boosts weren't based on an Acrobatic check of immense proportions) would then have a base speed of roughly (using the rounded 27%) 65, assuming we round to the nearest integer.

You can hit 65'/round at 10th level as a Wood Elf Monk with Mobile. If we grab a Tabaxi we can blow that out of the water entirely, as /5eg/ has proven before.

Warlord would fill a niche and it isn't already represented by Battlemaster. Battlemaster has options for hindering its foes, whereas a warlord is more about bolstering his allies in some manner.

Besides, we need more classes that use Intelligence as a primary ability. It's a woefully under-used ability that only really matters for Wizards, Eldritch Knights and Arcane Tricksters.

Mearls considers the Purple Dragon Knight an adequate Warlord.

So...ya know...

>Can provide buffs but only to people of the same race as you
>Smite gets an extra d8 against half breeds (half elves and half orcs) instead of fiends and the like

Pdk
valor bard
Battlemaster
Or any combo of the two. Hell grab some paladin and dont smite.

>Tactician
>Focused around combat and speed buffs using Intelligence checks
>Able to designate areas as difficult terrain for enemies
>Gains personal combat abilities by being near multiple allies
>Archetypes for tanking to handle the battlefield yourself, greater battlefield alteration abilities, and non-combat supply/travel utilities

I dig it.

No point in Druid, Nature Cleric covers the same niche.
No point in Barbarian, that's pretty much just a Champion Fighter.
No point in Warlock, that's just a Sorcerer with different fluff.

But user, 30/132 = .2272727272.
And .227272*243 = 55.2272
Usain's normal combat movement rate would be 55' per round.

Something something sacred cows

That's...that's sad.

Battlemaster has everything you want at its disposal, it just isn't the optimal minmax option so you dismiss it.
There's a reason
>muh warlord
is always listed among 5e memes.

Mearls is an asshole who hates the warlord, so we can't rely on him. Crawford is the only hope.

At least these use the right attributes. All the replacements in are Cha classes. Yes, it's going to be one of those threads again.

Warlocks were only sacred cows from 4e onward.
Bards, Barbarians, Druids, Monks and Sorcerers weren't represented in core 4e either, for a variety of reasons.

So the sacred cow argument doesn't really work.

The battle master cannot heal with a bonus action. Not even in touch range, let alone out to 60'.

Also, EK is Fighter crossed with wizard, it gets 1/3 casting.

BM is Fighter crossed with warlord.
>And that's all the warlord you'll ever see.

Barbarians are wild in execution, fighters precise.
Clerics are priests, druids are half fantasy hippies and half animal man.
Warlocks are ranged charisma martials, sorcerers are bad wizards that failed to be unique in 5e

Warlords are half PDK half Battlemaster... but stronger?

running a small adventure for a couple of my friends recently. the party's only two people, a human barbarian and a human fighter, both level 5. it's mostly been improvised thus far and I'm trying to think of some interesting encounters. the gist of the adventure is that the party is treasuring hunting for an item called the abyssal stone that's within this long castle. there's going to be a couple small puzzles, maybe a handful of traps. it's mostly filled with undead but at some point i'm going to start throwing low level devils at them. what are some other creatures i could throw at them? they've already seen wights, zombies, and i whipped up a sort of goliath zombie basing it off a revenant and giving it bonus STR, natural armor, and a 2d6 club. besides that, i'm going to throw a wyvern at them when they reach the towers and try to make that an interesting encounter with some falling hazards and a few cannon fodder zombies. besides that i'm not sure what i can throw in. perhaps a ghost or something like that but i wanna venture away from just using a lot of undead so i can get a bit of variety. any ideas?

tl:dr what are some cool monsters i can throw at my 2 man, Not Spartan!-fighter and typical barbarian party that are preferably not undead? homebrew accepted if it seems decent enough.

In NEXT, they said they wanted to include in the PHB every class that was in core (phb 1 in 4e's case) in any edition. This is why they pushed out terrible unfinished concepts for classes like ranger, monk, and sorcerer. But the warlord was just dropped. Hmm.

Rally, you inept fuck.

Its a shame it scales so poorly i suppse, but it exists.

Mind you, the 4e Warlord was Str Primary and had Wis/Int or Cha as secondary stat options.

Rally isn't healing word.

They aren't sacred cows, they are a reminder of a failed edition. Something can't be protected by tradition when it only happened once, especially when that once is the least successful iteration ever.

Fighters are warriors, barbarians are warriors that fight wildly. Barbarians should just be an archetype of fighter.
Clerics are priests, Druids are nature priests. Druids should just be an archetype of cleric.
Sorcerers are charisma-based spell-casters, Warlocks are charisma-based spell-casters with a martial bent. Warlocks should just be an archetype of sorcerer.

Warlock survived it for some reason, going from PHB2 in 3.5 to PHB in 4e to PHB in 5e.

Warlocks only made it in because of 4E though.

Why the hell would it be?
You get mundane health via rally and the healer feat, which you can pick up with extra fighter feats.
Hell, grab magic initiate for healing word and Inspiring Leader if you want.

Fighters are expertly trained warriors, thats the class design. Barbarians are the opposite end of the spectrum.
Druids could have been clerics, its the closest you have to a point, but d&d split that long ago and now they have substantial differences.
Warlocks actually have unique mechanics, and the only part of them that is a legacy requirement is Eldritch Blast, which despite whatseem to think, was in fact in 3.5.
Go make your own 4eg.

Do Immaculate Conceptions of Virgins happen in D&D?

Honestly I think most bases are already covered, other than Warlord that other anons mentioned.
The only thing that comes to mind is a spell caster who has a summoned minion who does the heavy lifting. Could have archetypes between having a physical-hit-stuff minion, a spell casting minion or a swarm of lesser minions.
Basically a stand user with some spells.

Everything else I'm thinking of could be an archetype.

Can't go a thread without at least one of the standard memes shitting it up.

Warlord had healing word. Healing word is still in the game, and the BM does not have it. Ergo, the BM is not the warlord.

Really just warlord and shaman, I think.

It would be a good place to do the whole 'Your summon uses your actions' thing that didn't work so well with the Ranger (As the ranger is, itself, a physical attacker)

Congratulations, this isn't 4e and not everything is identical. If you want a hitty class with healing word you have options. If you want a hitty class with a way to gain hp sans magic, you have Rally.

4e Shamans were a really cool idea and one of the most balanced 'Summoning' classes I've ever seen.

Sadly, I think the reason there aren't more Int-based classes is that they know their player-base far too well.

Make it an Artificer archetype, get the level 6 earlier and have it scale, but its special abilities take your action via control and magic.

I think the main issue is that isn't really a Martial Support class. There is spellcasters that can focus heavily in support but martials? The Battlemaster is mostly...well, he's a fighter. He does fighter things and maybe helps his allies a tiny bit.

> inb4 "Regaining HP because somebody shouted at you is silly"
Yeah, and regaining HP because somebody played lute isn't.

Could you explain what they did for someone who missed 3.5e and 4e?

>Artificer archetype
I'm still mad that, of all the archetypes they could have chosen for the artificer subclasses, they went with Alchemy--which doesn't feel like the same thing at all--and Guns--which has always seemed like the most boring and generic thing you can do with artificers.

I'm also mad that they can straight-up cast spells, instead of having to build devices to mimic them, but that's more easily refluffed.

I barely played 4e, but from what I remember, shamans had a pet. It didn't have HP, it couldn't attacked, and it couldn't attack on it's own - instead, you used your actions to attack through it.
It's like how in 5e you can channel touch spells through your familiars, but taken to it's logical extreme.

Come to think about it, didn't we have an arcana about it?

What else is Monk than a martial support class? Or do you insist on it being entirely friendly support, rather than control?
Rally.

And yes, yeling to get someone conscious makes less sense than magic cast through music.