Fantasy Novels

Which do you recommend Veeky Forums?

I'm full of Black Library bullshit, eager to taste something different.

pic unrelated.

Other urls found in this thread:

ebooks.adelaide.edu.au/h/howard/robert_e/
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

Mary Gentle: Grunts.

A Song of Ice and Fire

Fafhrd & The Gray Mouser: Ill Met in Lankhmar.

Try the Thomas Covenant books, there are 10 in total.

The Eberron "Heirs of Ash" trilogy.

Just give it a try.

Can you be more specific about what you're looking for in a fantasy book?

Give the Traitor Son Cycle a go. Editing is a mess sometimes, but the authors treatment of magic is really interesting. Also combat is really historically accurate, which I have a huge boner for. Characters are heroic while being human and vulnerable, which gives them a sense of agency. That's the issue I had with Ice and Fire. Ice and Fire makes things so pathetic at times that events just happen to characters and moves the plot rather than vice versa

Nine Princes in Amber.
Dilvish, the Damned.
The Changing Lands.

Bruener the bounty hunter from warhammer fantasy was fucking amazing

The black company, the two Ewilan trilogies and the Belgariad are all great classics

What kind of genres are you interested in? What's your jam? What kind of tropes do you like? What kind of stories do you enjoy? What kind of settings?

Read the original Robert E. Howard Conan stories if you haven't already. Outside of that, you might like Dragonlance.

Seconding ASOIAF.

OP here, my tastes are simple;

Fantasy that doesn't remind me of the bullshit that is anime sometimes, with actual damn story and dialogue.

Gaunt's Ghosts and the Salamander Trilogy of Bl are my favs With Legion been the best of the books I've read

none, all of them are shit. gay fanfic on livejournal is where its at these days

Perhaps Micheal Moorcock?

Malazan Book of the Fallen if you think you would enjoy 3.3 million words of bullshit-level epic fantasy with about a hundred interesting and distinct characters who are basically all trying to murder each other in three dozen different plotlines which all come together for one of the most fantastic finales I've seen from a fantasy series.

Kingkiller Chronicles are good books that should fit well with your tastes. They have good plot, interesting characters and not over the top fights.

What is some absolutely essential required fantasy reading besides Lord of the Rings?
Not just stories that are pretty good but also influentual on the genre as a whole.

I'm not that knowledgable on fantasy literature and want to know about some of the corner stones to fully experience the genre.

>A Song of Ice and Fire
It is obviously good. You'll get some "it's crap" memes, but it really is very competent, enjoyable fantasy. The first three books are spectacular, but then he sort of starts trailing off and treading water.
>Elric
I consider to be about on par with the highest level of Black Library stuff. A lot of it will be familiar, as Warhammer borrowed shamelessly from Moorcock. It's fun and there's a million of them. Though, you said you dislike anime and Elric *is* a weakling pretty boy cursed by fate to be legendary champion who wanders from shitty situation to shitty situation, so you might not like that.
>The First Law Trilogy (Joe Abercrombie)
These are great low fantasy adventures. I loved 'em to pieces, and it's a nice, concise trilogy with a few sequels that are good, but not necessary to the plot. Abercrombie has a great sense of grittyness in his writing, he describes combat in a way that is both entertaining and exciting, but also very brutal and unromantic.
>Conan
The original, Robert Howard does pulp like no one else. You'll want to read these only one or two stories at a time, as he repeats himself a lot and refines ideas. Still, they're good old fashioned action, and are basically the progenitors of most pop-culture fantasy.

Fuck yes. This. Only the last one sucked.

dunno, I liked the Nagash time of legends trilogy by Mike Lee

You probably have, but if you haven't you seem to like Abnett so check out Eisenhorn. After that there's the rest of his inquisitor books but I haven't read those yet.

Anyone know where I can find Knights of Bretonnia in an eBook format?

So for some Epic Fantasy series I would recommend The Black Company and The Malazan Book of the Fallen. Neither have the most stellar prose, but I love both's world building and general plotting.

If you're looking for gritty military stuff Black Company is basically the best dark fantasy ever made and makes ASOIAF look like the pile of garbage it is.

Things get a little weird in the second and third trilogies, but the first trilogy is pure gold and will ruin all other fantasy for you.

ebooks.adelaide.edu.au/h/howard/robert_e/
Robert Howard's stories are public domain now and you can find them for free. This site has some with Conan as well as other fantasy characters.

Im looking for something that gives me a feeling of adventure. Like in lotr, a sheltered person leaving his home to travel the dark world. Preferrably with an innovative race apart from elves and dwarves

I have a softspot for Garth Nix's Old Kingdom series, although it's somewhat atypical fantasy. A human-only setting where a wall divides a mundane, modernising nation from an ancient, mystical one. Rather than the usual conflict the 'rational' south mostly tries to ignore the 'old fashioned' north, but there are times when danger crosses their borders.

The first three books focus on Sabriel, the Abhorsen- A Necromancer charged with putting down the dead and protecting the living against the risen dead and Free Magic- along with her extended family as they battle the Dead on both sides of the wall.

It's a pretty cool series with some awesome mythology and worldbuilding behind it.

The first Law trillogy

The Prince of Nothing is god tier

Seconding the Old Kingdom, really good books.
Still disappointed Lirael didn't fuck her niece.

>Second book of Black Company isn't available on Amazon

REEEEEEE

This is a pretty obscure one but have you ever read a pretty unknown trilogy of books called The Lord of the Rings?