Fitting RPG system?

Hello

I need RPG system that has those:

1. No mechanics that force roleplaying.
2. No tweaking, tinkering in mechanics.
3. Massive bestiary(~200 at least), (as in not kickstarter/singleton book with 30 monsters).

Bonus: Ready campaings with encounters.

Other urls found in this thread:

talislanta.com
archive.4plebs.org/tg/thread/51850970
moonlancer.net/JamesStowe/DNDforDads1.pdf
jamesstowe.blogspot.hu/2011/09/dnd-for-dads-2-girls-part-1.html
jamesstowe.blogspot.hu/2011/09/dnd-for-dads-girls-part-2.html
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

Stop trying this kind of thread, vidyadev.
Too obvious what you are trying to pull after your last thread.

D&D 4th edition.

What I am trying to pull?
Calling me vidyadev lol, I guess i get your point.
I just want to find fitting game for my nephews. I'm not that much knowledgable in tabletop RPGs. I don't want to play video games with them either.

Besides I have plenty of Lego in familly that can be used like this for RPG: (picrel)

Thx. I already have this, but was wondering if there are more similar systems. It's kinda dissapointing that the market is full of kickstarters small games like Strike! or games with not much effort put into it. Not enough clients?

bump

This shit doesn exist. Go play Call of Duty and quit it with your garbage thread.

Why? Is a massive bestiary something too much of RPG developer?

Number 2. is easily met by any system that is not GURPS kit like.

Dungeon World.

>no mechanics that force roleplaying

You're looking to play the wrong kind of game. Go play a dungeon crawler board game like Descent or a video game.

Thanks. Favourite bestiary books from this system?

No mechanics that FORCE roleplaying. I did not say anything about including roleplaying stuff.

...Dungeon World.

So no additional book? You just buy the core and 200 monsters are there?

>being amazed that a niche market in which easily 75+% of all games played are a single product line and its knockoffs lacks large, high-budget products

What about that 25%-?

That is all small indy games that do not meet your retarded specifications.

Now that I look again, it's more like 70%. Still not the sort of environment someone would want to throw a lot of money into entering.

>no mechanics that force roleplaying
What do you mean by that?

You said small indy are 75% and lack high budget. I'm asking for the rest which is 25%.

I kind of doubt that all 25% force you to tweak in mechanics like GURPS does.

OP keeps making these threads with nonsensical qualifiers.

>Rule system must be bodacious, not repetitive
>Encounters should be planned but spontaneous
>At least 350+ dice required, but should also be fully diceless as the need arises
>rulebook should not use the phrase “role-playing” or “RPG”
>minimum 18 point typeface

That i don't have to create some weird stuff like life path for character, and then he gets points from GM for doing some roleplaying stuff.

talislanta.com

You mistook me for somebody else. I do not know such topics.

Reading comprehension...he said that 75+% of the games are a single product line and its knockoffs, aka Dungeons and Dragons.

You coulda fooled me. You posted this thread yesterday and it was just as moronic then.

archive.4plebs.org/tg/thread/51850970

>archive.4plebs.org/tg/thread/51850970
Yes and?
Your examples of points contradict themselves. Mine don't, and create cohesive requirement.

You try to bash somebody. Go fuck yourself.

Oh yeah, now I get it, thx. Not native english speaker here.

Thank you. What edition should i bite?

This is clearly a bait thread. But if it's not listen to the anons above and give Descent, the DND board games or Imperial Assault a try

Look at DnD 5e stats. 26590 games and only 36999 players. GMs playing all by themselves or what?

People can be playing in more than one game. I'm personally in two when just counting Roll20, and since I don't have it listed on my profile I wouldn't count in their list of players (IIRC, haven't looked to see if the methodology has changed).

No it's not. And I do not want board game.

Good anons already gave me DnD 4e, Talistmanta, and Dungeon World, which hopefully fit requirments. 3 is a lot already. As i can see they are quite big and have good shares of the market.

Well aside from talisanta. Why it's so dead?

The last time you posted this shit you got salty as fuck because you wouldn't accept anything that needed even the tiniest change. You are autistic and you are wrong

Not sure whether it's a full 200 monster, but it has 86 pages of monster stats.
Plus, the Codex has a metric fuckton of additional monsters.

If the lego part is key you could take a look at BrikWars. Its more towards wargame but if you're not going to be roleplaying much and you're playing with a young kid that's fine. Its just 'these are team blue and these are team red, now they fight' ought to do it.

There's a decent amount of online bestiaries/armies and support.

Will definitely give a try.
Yeah BrikWars are awesome, but we played a big deal of hours already. Wanted to take it to a different level and make something more interesting, you know disarm traps, complex missions etc.

That's why I'm looking for some fitting systems. I don't have time to tinker with the system myself, becouse that would be too much time consuming for a simple game for hanging around with nephews once in a while. Board games cost way too much in my country, besides we wanted to put all that lego to good use.

Didn't mean to troll, or to offend any of /tg and it's pen and paper industry.

Try this or this:

gunth.com/brickquest/

I honestly think OP would be better off with a few monsters he can just reskin either way.

Which would make Strike! ideal

>I honestly think OP would be better off with a few monsters he can just reskin either way.

Why?

Hahaha you should tottally try the FATAL rpg system for shits and giggles

The only one who is salty here is you. You are projecting some kind of negativity on yourself. I am just asking for some game recomendation, but i guess thats enough for some people to screech autistically.

HELLO

>thats

Less complexity, less looking through the book for things, familiarity enhances the ability to get the best out of their mechanics.

Anyway, for 4e, you also got these:
moonlancer.net/JamesStowe/DNDforDads1.pdf
jamesstowe.blogspot.hu/2011/09/dnd-for-dads-2-girls-part-1.html
jamesstowe.blogspot.hu/2011/09/dnd-for-dads-girls-part-2.html

Son, what you want isn't an RPG. It's a Skirmish Wargame.

Just ignore those fuckers. It's just that lots of those indie devs are sitting on /tg with their families and force feed everyone their crap and beg for kickstarters. It just so happens that massive bestiary is not exactly they could provide with 10 dollar budget, so they will bash you relentlessly just for sport.

D&D 4e is for you.

>Less complexity, less looking through the book for things, familiarity enhances the ability to get the best out of their mechanics.

Instead of that you are forced to make your own monsters, items, weapons, economy, campaign. Pretty much everything becouse the only thing that small kickstartish system have is simple mechanic, combat example, and 10 monsters. A bit of paragraphs here and there about setting if they feel generous.

Better to play it safe and have good sources.

>Instead of that you are forced to make your own monsters,
You are forced to reskin.

If you can't take a statbloc and say "This is an orc with *appropriate weapon*" you are not fit to DM anything.

But that is specifically not what he wants.
Reskinning counts as tweaking AND roleplaying, both things an RPG should not have, according to OP.

Mhm. Still I think I'll have more variety in DnD 4e.
Those few statblocks willl get boring after a few campaings, and I don't want to bother to make new ones. And making it balanced and stuff.

Exactly. Finally somebody gets me.
But wait reskinning is roleplaying? I don't get it.

Admittedly, I get that impression as well.

Although, if you have played that much with it, it probably won't be much work anymore, but yeah.

If you present a monster as anything more than a meeple with a statblock attached, that's roleplaying.
I mean you have to think about something that's not in the book. Totally unacceptable, right?

Hmm... I think only the tweaking argument applies. After all, those big bestiaries also need to be roleplayed a bit.
If OP wants lots of simple meeples:
big rich bestiary wins
If OP wants detailed monsters for roleplay:
also big rich bestiary wins, becouse more describtion, pictures and background.

*description

Games I know which meet OP's requirements.

Dungeons and Dragons
Warhammer Fantasy Roleplay
Warhammer 40k RPGs (Dark Heresy, Only War, Black Crusade, Rogue Trader, Deathwatch)
Runequest
Most of the Star Wars RPGs

The major issue is that generic systems tend to require tweaking and 200 monsters is quite a large number, especially for the small games which make up most of the market not accounted for by D&D and generic systems.

Weird question OP. Why don't you want to roleplay with your nephew? It will probably come up a bit in game anyway, but are there specific reasons why you want to discourage it by removing it mechanically?

Take a look at Mordheim, its an old warhammer skirmish wargame. You get about a dozen doods and stab other doods.

>Why don't you want to roleplay with your nephew?
I want to roleplay, but i don't want mechanics to force roleplay. I'm too tired to read some cryptic weird stuff.
>Take a look at Mordheim, its an old warhammer skirmish wargame. You get about a dozen doods and stab other doods.
I know this game(and it's cool), but i want RPG.

Take a look at B/X dnd or OSRIC or Labyrinth Lord or other OSR then. Any of them will do. Give the kid a party of 4 or so, use a basic module like B4. There's tons of monsters, material and its basic af.

Thx.
I didn't know Star Wars RPG and Runequest had big bestiaries, will have to investigate.

Disregard 200. I'm fine with 150.

OSR (et al.) are no good, OP wants
>No mechanics that force roleplaying.
and role play is OSR's central resolution mechanic.

Hell, (charisma adjustments notwithstanding) monsters only have a 1-in-36 chance if attacking outright.
10-in-36 is you act suspicious, but 9 of those 10 times you can still talk your way out of it.

>if you hire retainers
>the dm can always chose the monster's reactions to fit the dungeon
>(Optional)

so uh. Chose some monster reactions and don't use morale. Or do, its a wargame feature not necessarily a roleplaying one. I'm not saying osr doesn't lead to and encourage roleplay, but people manage to fuck that up and forget it all the time. Just play it that way.

4e or 5e. 4e has something like a class system where as 5e is sort of like WHFRP 2e's career system

It's just a strange setting that's hard to get into. Unlike most fantasy there is no dominant race (humans) and isn't derivative of Tolkien

DnD 4e fits all of those. The math doesn't line up quite right and might require tweaking if you go all the way to level 30, but that really doesn't happen much.

It's been suggested multiple times. Why is this thread still up?