/CofD/ &/wodg/ Chronicles of Darkness and World of Darkness General

Previous thread: >Pastebin:
pastebin.com/xrKUUi0A

>News
theonyxpath.com/release-roundup-january-2017/
paradoxinteractive.com/en/white-wolf-partners-with-focus-home-interactive-for-a-video-game-adaptation-of-the-world-of-darkness-storyteller-game-werewolf-the-apocalypse/

This week's Monday Meeting Notes:
theonyxpath.com/bucking-broncos-monday-meeting-notes/

>Question
Other than Vampire and Werewolf, which other splats would make for a good video game, what could it be like and how would it play?

Other urls found in this thread:

strawpoll.com/1e2dfg1
forum.theonyxpath.com/forum/main-category/main-forum/the-new-world-of-darkness/793173-the-horror-show?p=1046640#post1046640
youtube.com/watch?v=dQEmaj9C6ko
youtu.be/r2pt2-F2j2g
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

Oh and I'm talking about both oWoD and CofD in the question, so don't just restrict yourself to one iteration.

The obvious first answer is either Mage setting.

I feel like a good rpg could be crafted from Changeling the lost though

Hunter. I have no idea if the Reckoning games are good, but an investigative/action game based on Vigil or Hunters Hunted could be good.

Mage always seems prima facie the hardest to present as a video game because of the innate appeal of an open-ended magic system, but I'm sure it's possible.

Hunter could certainly work as a rogues gallery of other game lines. Geist could also make for a similar and ostensibly better version of what Murdered: Soul Suspect and similar games tried to be where you solve dead people's problems jennifer love hewitt style.

>Been working on a WoD living world, a city with about 38 regions. May not be ready for a time but I wanted to get a sense of peoples tastes and start working on NPC's

>strawpoll.com/1e2dfg1

I want to become a dragon, which splat lets me do that?

Beast, I think, or at least it gets closest

Bygone Bestiary. It has rules for creating and playing magical creatures. One of their better books.

Or you can just play a fishmalk that tries to breath fire on people.

I would love to see a Mage the aesension video game. Gta/sleeping dogs open world. Each sphere gives a series of possible effects that you build out in sub menus for your spells. So fast casting is hard, and not viable in combat unless you have rotes. So the better part of magic comes to planning and preperarion.

A low-generation Tzimisce is an option to consider.

>Beast
I don't want to be an edgy asshole

what would you consider a gold-hoarding virgin-eating hamlet-burning flying dinosaur?

Play a fishmalk who knows Kuldonic Sorcery's path of fire

>haha my dear your neck is looking scrumptious
>unnecesarrily long description of a neckbeard talking about drinking virgin blood
>Virgoos sanguinus in my tummy, a yummer yummy.
>now I can fight those gun wielders, who only deal bashing damage to me cuz Im too cool to be alive

>haha my dear your firm looks pernicious
>unnecessarily long description of a neckbeard talking about how hard it is to be a hero with a monstrous nature
>wyrmicious impergium in my packy, a slaughter slaughty
>now I can fight those gun wielders, who deal regular damage but I regen like crazy cuz Im too cool to be homid

>haha my dear your reality is looking conceited
>unnecessarily long description of a neckbeard talking about the dangers of having too much power
>paradox in my subjectivity, a troublesome trouble
>now I can fight those gun wielders, who only deal damage to themself cuz they were trying to unjam their obviously faulty weapons coz Im too cool to be shot at.

>haha my dear your art looks dreamy
>unnecessarily long description of a neckbeard talking about the lack of faith and magic in the world is destroying everything
>Sundering boogus lacking, a nightmare reality
>now I can fight those gun wielders, too bad they are busy making an orgy right now I'll join them coz Im too cool to be left alone

I really don't get your point. Is this a Hunterfag?

It´s not about being an edgy asshole, but about teaching people valuable lessons, user.

>haha my dear your supernaturality is showing
>unnecessarily long description of a neckbeard talking about how supernaturals must be cleansed from the world for the sake of humanity
>praying to the messengers, a desperate hero
>now I can fight those gun wielders, who are filthy servants of a leech cuz Im too cool for this world

short answer: no

it's not OUR fault mages can't resist the knot

Beating people into bloody pulp because they touch you or being slightly rude is not teaching

Changelings' powers are narrow enough to be easily made into a game. You can't tell me being abducted by the Gentry and tortured for a few years wouldn't be a bomb-ass cutscene.

"Demon: the Descent" You can look like a dragon. You're wearing human forms most of the time.
"Changeling: the Lost" can give you draconic characters. They're still humanoid, though.
"Mage: the Awakening" A mage could have this as a Legacy goal.

How many dots of Life do I need to make sure my unborn child will have the sex I want or to make it so twins happen?

How could Vampires in Masquerade find out what Clan/Bloodline you are, if you don't tell them? Auspex?

Clan curse?

Another cute Thyrsus who mages a flower shop

Tremere can tell which clan you are by tasting your blood.

If you're casting during or before conception: Life 2.
If you're casting after: It won't be Lasting. Should have cast earlier.

???

Other than that?

>Another cute Thyrsus who craves the knot
ftfy

Nosferatu are pretty obvious

Well, okay, them, and Samedi, sure, but other than that, how can you tell?

Next song you hear on random repeat is description of you character Awakening trip. Go.

>If you're Nosferatu you're going to be buttfucking ugly
>If you're Tzimisce you're going to need soil from your home
>If you're Lasombra you have no reflection
>If you're Gangrel when you frenzy you'll have a beast mark
>If you're Giovanni feeding is incredibly painful for the victim instead of ecstatic
>If you're Ventrue you can only feed on certain populations
>If you're Malkavian you're fucking insane (also a prophet)
>If you're Cappadocian you're deathly pale
>If you're Salubri you have a third eye
>If you're Assamite you're addicted to vampire blood
>If you're Brujah you have an incredibly short temper
>If you're Toreador you get easily stupefied by beautiful things
>If you're Setite you're more than usually weak to sunlight
>If you're Ravnos you have an affinity to certain crimes
>If you're none of these either Caitiff or Tremere

>First change is coming
>Don't know what that is yet
>Don't know what's wrong with me
>Get pulled into the shadow
>Oh god, what the hell's that
>Dear god it's a cat dripping blood
>Run like hell
>Doesn't work
>Shit
>Cat's toying with me
>Starting to get frustrated
>Cat is taunting
>Starting to get pissed
>Cat's still taunting
>Getting more pissed
>As in really, really pissed
>As in I'M GOING TO RIP THAT SMUG FUCKING GRIN OFF YOUR GOD DAMN FAAAAAAAAAAAAAAACE (Insert first tongue warcry here)
>Pain train gets going
>Exceptional success
>Cat gets radically redesigned
>You could say it's twice what it used to be
>Some friendly Urdaga bros disarm me
>And disleg me
>Barely
>(24 hours later)
>Exposition ensues
>(Two months later)
>Need a spirit to fetish a weapon
>"Okay then. We kill the cat."
>"I'm okay with that."
>Go alone to fetish the weapon
>Try to sneak up on the cat
>I fail perception roll
>Cat fails perception roll
>I succeed stealth roll
>Cat succeeds stealth roll
>O hai Mark
>Grappling ensues
>Cat gets exceptional success
>Roll for death rage
>Fail
>Here we go
>Cat's gonna kill me
>"Huh. Exceptional success."
>Wut
>"For you"
>Hear that?
>Choo choo
>Cat's in the way
>No brakes
>Repeat performance
>With a fist weapon this time
>Instead of claws
>This is an ex hellcat

And that's the story of Hunts the Rage and Stalks the Hunter.

Note: Hunts the Rage is the cat.

Auspex aura detection can sometimes detect an aura of madness, but that's not really helpful.

You can try to read their thoughts, but if you fail and they discover you it may be a great problem.

So yeah, the only way is tasting the blood.

Nice try tremere, I see you.

For some weird reason I just lost my sides imagining the Tremere calling other vampires "goyim".

Hunter. Either Vigil for nWoD or Hunters Hunted/Reckoning for oWoD. Investigation and a combat system that revolves around traps and tactics would be amazing.

Changeling could also make for a good video game, but I'm not exactly sure how it'd be done.

CtL. The game. You kidnapped as twins. Boy and girl. By duo Gentry othat look like witches. They usually eat kids. Well they eat alot of them. But not you. Your sister is serving them human meat on the dishes and cleans kitchen. You stack bones in dark basement. One day you rearange old bone stacks and found exit. You escape, but your sister still there. Years after you work in supernatural world as thief. Top level thief. Rob old ventrue. Steal mage infused cactus. Visit ghost infested museum. You only have 1 professional weakness. Small dark places. Places where your old patrons try to reclaim you. You are thief that cannot stay in the shadows for too long.

Linear missions, thieflike gameplay. Each time mission loads some random hiding places are gentry traps.

Frankly I would have the lessons aspect of beast be subjectively optional.

Beast kind if feels like a book that the whole group needs to pour over in detail before gaming so everyone knows what they want out of it

>"Mage: the Awakening" A mage could have this as a Legacy goal.
You know, that sounds really cool. Life/Prime, or something like that?

Life is a must. Note that Shapechanging is a 4 Dot spell, so full transformation will likely be the final Attainment. As for the second Arcanum, I guess it depends on what dragons are supposed to be. If the dragon is too big to fly, Forces is the Arcanum to fix that. It would also cover fiery breath, weather control or other elemental stuff.

One day... Some day, we will get an Orphans of Proteus write-up and we can finally steal from that.

Crud, I was wrong. It's Compelling (Life 1).

>They Have Nothing Now - Daredevil Season 2 Soundtrack
So tragic, but awesome.

Reminder that the furfags and leechniggers only live since the Mages allow it.

in your dreams fuccboi

I enter death rage under my Auspice moon with full essence and willpower. Your argument is invalid.

It also skirts the line for hubris.

What would be the best splat killer Mage?

A Moros with forces would be terrifying for vampires and werewolves.

I did not think of this, but you might be right. It's like in those Indian and Chinese villages.

Still, I would forgo the degeneration roll, if it wasn't based on bigotry.

>Death/Entropy Mage tells you that you are dead.
>You say: I'm not dead, I'm costantly leaving a mark, a living one, into this world, and my influence spawn to many, many people.

>The Omnipotent mage starts autistically screeching as the paradox engulfs him, leaving no apparent trace of him after a *puff* sound.

The Mage was defeated by a human being without anything special.

>Space 3
Sail to the middle of the ocean. Dive as deep as you can. Get a Sympathetic connection. Return home. Be smug at your enemies. If they survive the trip they will eventually end up in the trash vortex, right where they belong.

Don't shy away from acts of hubris it's the drama and the main entertainment in Mage.

Is it hubris to decide an unborn child's sex? Possibly.

What about a family that suffers from huntington's?

etc.

I like your opinion and I adopt it as my own.

>A Mage enters a political debate on tv trying to make his statement and trying to ashame a candidate for personal reasons.

>He gets destroyed and called by the candidate an ignorant fool

>All the people witnessing it on television starts thinking it

>The Mage starts losing conscience of himself, becoming an homeless man that suffer of amnisia that sucks dicks to survive.

Another win for humankind

Everything you do is balloons.

Point and click based off of Project Twilight?

Feedback requested on homebrewed Horror for CoD:

forum.theonyxpath.com/forum/main-category/main-forum/the-new-world-of-darkness/793173-the-horror-show?p=1046640#post1046640

I have an idea for making Paradox worse: successful attempts to contain it don't cause any damage, but penalize ability to cast spells. Each contained Paradox success will reduce all spellcasting dice pools by one. This homerule will encourage releasing Paradox, because most mage won't penalize their most important ability - to do magic.

>51864447
Reach is giving a Paradox if it's over the limit. Besides, that just penalizes non-ritual casting, and ideal Paradox rules should make all casting harder, not just the certain types of it.

>Mage must actually consider his actions and their long term consequences performed on an infant unlike a jew doctor or rabbinical dick biter.

Proof magefags aren't the worst thing lurking in our World of Darkness.

It's all subjective which is a BS ruling I agree. The results would have to be to the mage's end.

>Child's sex is decided where females are known to be deficient males. Asia no degen roll

>Be in American midwest and Jehovah's witnesses believe all diseases you receive are god's will. Big degen roll.

>Aryan qt wants pure aryan babies to be qts as well. No more shovel noses or annoying creatures that will call you holmes or esse.

>concludes picnic and dons monkey mask for an enjoyable repast of bicycling with my pals.

youtube.com/watch?v=dQEmaj9C6ko

Now do Promethean and Beast.

>The obvious first answer is either Mage setting.
Making a faithful Mage game is basically impossible.

You there. What sorts of spirits were they and what did he have them do?

>Beast kind if feels like a book that the whole group needs to pour over in detail before gaming so everyone knows what they want out of it
From my experience Beast players want to pal around with Vampires and deal with weird shit.

How does Hisil looks like? How should one attempt to write it down, with spirit ecology and alike? I want my next Chronicle to be really Shadow-heavy, but there is surprisingly little material to work with.

And why they can't just do a Ordo Dracul vampire character and do exactly that?

>Reminder that the furfags and leechniggers only live since the Mages allow it.
>Mages start systematically killing all the Werewolves
>Mass First Changes start happening because Luna can do that

The great thing about the shadow is that you can go absolutely hog-wild with it.

>Clouds fighting each other, which creates weather
Welp, there goes the moon-bathing

>Trees dance to the tune of the singing wind
Gotta love that natural music

>Random spirits running/flying/skipping/dfauhfuehfoefhing around
Heh, locals are a laugh and a half

Seriously. Go nuts. The shadow's a beautiful and terrifying place. Take that and run off with it.

Doesn't Luna usually just do nothing when people start mass slaughtering any of the changing breeds? She sure didn't care when the lost tribes were killed. Or during the war of Tears.
Or I'm mixing up editions, in which case I'll just turn the ground into a perfected silver conductor and electrocute the fuckers.

Because you aren't tied down as heavily by Vampire society (although you will get dragged into shit) and your political rivals aren't going to get mad at you for also getting involved with other supernaturals because you aren't a Vampire, you're just one persons friend or another persons political tool. Also the Ordu Dracul is an organization.with certain responsibilities.

That's mummy probably the most unplayable wod game with some of the coolest thematics. Beast requires other templates or the game gets boring fast.

youtu.be/r2pt2-F2j2g

Luna actually does care in WtF, although you she and the First Born aren't going to get involved unless you start committing genocide. One city though? Probably nothing, of course then the Thyrus are going to have to start preventing spirits from flooding the material.

>the Thyrus are going to have to start preventing spirits from flooding the material.
>Not planning on releasing all the spirits on purpose to cause so much chaos that you're mostly immune to in order to dethrone your rivals.

You know, mass genocide against The People might actually get the Forsaken and The Pure to set aside their differences for long enough to deal with whoever is trying to stop their little sibling rivalry.

So I don't know about Orphans of Proteus, but I made an attempt.

Go to bed, Ozymandias.

>Luna actually does care in WtF
She gives them all blessings and renown through her minions, and special moon gifts and prophetic dreams. She may have even given them the oath of the moon, telling them how to maintain harmony.

She doesn't jump into the middle of their fights but saying she doesn't care is wrong.

>Since Paradox makes mages as useless as Geniuses if some mundie happens to look at us.

FTFY

If they did make another VtM video game, where would you want to see it be set in? What time period? Which city/part of the world?

Do you think it might work out better if the player character was an 8th or so generation or would that be too much? Because I'm just wondering how else to explain it, without Elder/Antediluvian/Caine interference, the way the player could overcome some of the stronger enemies in the game and their use of Disciplines.

And could Disciplines like Obtenebration and Vicissitude actually work within the confines of the game, without going all crazy?

>And could Disciplines like Obtenebration and Vicissitude actually work within the confines of the game, without going all crazy?
Yeah, but they would be limited like the Disciplines in Bloodlines. You could probably spin Vicissitude to just act as buffs to yourself at low level, then turning enemies into monsters to fight for you at mid, and a warform or something at high.

Just do like in Bloodlines and ignore Generation. If diablerie is an in-game choice it would buff your stats and get you some extra dots in disciplines. The Sabbat likely won't be playable, so who really cares about Obtenetration and Vicissitude? I'd rather have more creative uses of standard disciplines.

Diiablerie should have some pretty heavy social consequences, though. If anyone happens to look at your aura, all hell should break loose after they figure out what you've done.

Can't you have an independent Lasombra or Tzimisce though? It's not like they're unheard of.

Also, how about that one skill that Gangrels have, where they just sink into the ground when they want to rest? If the game had an actual day and night cycle, could be a neat way to seek shelter before the sun comes up.

Of course, but authorized diablerie isn't exactly unheard of in the Camarilla, so who knows.
They're pretty rare though, especially the Tzimisce. I would focus on the seven core clans if I was making a VtM game, but who knows.
>where they just sink into the ground when they want to rest? If the game had an actual day and night cycle, could be a neat way to seek shelter before the sun comes up
Yes, I think it's Protean 3. It would be pretty neat.

I doubt the game would have a day and night cycle. It might not take place in one endless night like Bloodlines did, but having a set amount of time you're allowed to operate in until you have to go back to your Haven for your daily scheduled fade-to-black would be really annoying for most people.

I mean, Bully did it, but you could stay out well into the night instead of just half the day, and if you didn't make it back to your bed you just passed out and got your shoes stolen instead of dying a horrible death.

>Other than Vampire and Werewolf, which other splats would make for a good video game, what could it be like and how would it play?- 87 posts and 10 image replies shown.

Planescape: Torment knockoff for a Promethean game.

I skimmed it. The Attainments are functional and kind of remind me of Echo Walkers. Draconic Ones Before? I'm skeptical of your Order choices. Enlightenment can't be contained within human form? The Silver Ladder would consider that blasphemy of the highest magnitude. The Mysterium is fine, the have the Daksha, after all. I think Mammonite Seers would also fit, with the Legacy's focus on hoarding wealth.

What's the best way to use the Mage system for Fate/Luck powers in the form of the Psychokinesis merit to simplify it for non-mages?

Basically, controlling luck instead of fire, etc.

I'm a GM running a non-mage campaign, and discussing this with a player. I know almost nothing about mage and really don't want to complicate the game.

Which arcana does tg think is the most fun to have as ruling?

All right which one of you faggots has been posting about Unmaking magic on the official forum?

Thanks for the feedback. I included the Silver Ladder because I envisioned them not only as knowledge seekers, but also as teachers, but you make a good point. Mammonite Seers are also a very real possibility, I just didn't really think about the Seers.

I've always been partial to the versatility of Life magic.

If they ever make another vampire game I wish they'd take advantage of the storytelling opportunities of immortality. The game could be set in radically different time periods. You could have missions that take decades to complete.

Okay, so I'll make an urban version of Qliphoth from Berserk.

Have you heard of Redemption?

it sounds like you are going to run something complicated to me
what's this psychokinesis merit?
first time I hear about it, how does it work and what do you want it to do with Fate/luck?

My advise would be to not allow it because fate in mage is basically st fait or dice altering mechanics. psychokinesis isn't just simplified it's massively weaker.