Things that piss you off more than they should

>DM says you'll be playing in his homebrew/custom setting
>it's just generic Greyhawk x Forgotten Realms fantasy
>even the deities are all from Greyhawk or the Forgotten Realms

>Travelling through wilderness
>Everybody we meet is out to kill us
>Finally meet somebody who doesn't seem like he's out to kill us
>The next day, leads bandits onto our ass.
>"But why?"
>"You didn't roll insight."
>DM complains when we kill particular characters.
Sorry but Joe Schmo put an arrow through my leg, and you're not giving us much reason to not just murderbone everyone we meet.

> DM decides that things have gone stale and boring
> Decides to spice things up by killing one or more PCs

>Player does something beyond "I attack" or "I defend"
>GM wastes 5-10 minutes looking up a rule.
>Even worse, he does this during a rules-lite system.

>Players pick fight with NPC for no reason or obvious gain.
>Probably because NPC is alluded to or described as being powerful.
>Get in trouble in fight, because surprise! NPC is in fact powerful.
>Then complain that I make things too hard.

I have literally walked away from 2 separate groups over this.

>Combat is "I attack goblin" "Damage"
>No roleplay in sight
>No descriptions or anything

If I wanted to just role dice I'd play warhammer

>Free PDF on RPGNow/DrivethruRPG
>It's watermarked
What the hell is the point of watermarking a free PDF?

you don't roleplay during warhammer?

I bring a commissar hat, a toy luger and a swagger stick

My GM made me roll upwards of sixty fucking dice one time. Not for anything important, just mining a chunk off a big hunk of metal that we needed. He treated each swing like an attack roll. If we weren't playing online I would've smacked him. I still might fucking smack him.

that sounds incredibly fun
If the locals played warhamer like that instead of being disgusting fat neckbeards yelling at each other I like actually play

I understand that we can get pretty tired with the "generic" brand fantasy, but I've found that lately I've been getting really fucking tired of GMs who feel like they're overcompensating to show off how *their* dwarves and elves totally aren't like the *other* dwarves and elves. Like they're embarassed to be running high fantasy or something.

OP here
I don't mind generic D&D fantasy, my complaint was that a lot of DMs feel the need to make "their own" setting when it's just a poor imitation of the Tolkien/Forgotten Realms template.

>NG PC
>Treats every other PC like shit on their shoe
>''user, our characters should totally hook up!''
Holy fuck what is roleplaying

>just murderbone everyone we meet.
What?

Either you're a phoneposting fuckwit, or you have some very wierd games...

It's actually something else - you're a newfag and should lurk more before posting dumb shit.

Even talking briefly about optimization and builds makes me inexplicably angry. I don't even know what it is that bothers me so much about it.

>Party is all together
>One of them suggests another one of them should split off to do x while they do y
>Big group ends up in an encounter that lasts a while
>Guy on his own bumps into nothing
>Big group would've had an easier time if he just stayed
>Guy on his own misses out

I give these fuckers NPC allies for a reason, but they always just have to split from each other. Like, stop splitting from each other. If everyone is doing they're own thing whatever, but don't be that one guy who has to go out on his own for everything.

>hating on phoneposting
It's tyne 21st century, grandpa, some of us have places to be

I think the idea is they want to run that style of setting, but they don't want to run that specific world so they don't have to work around that world's canon and/or players already knowing the ins and outs of the world.

Yeah I would imagine it's along the lines of "I do want to play in forgotten realms or greyhawk, but I want the creative freedom to mix my own shit in without people claiming 'but the book said this place is like blah or that blah should be here!'"

Very much in agreement. The number crunching talk hurts me

>Well this build does 40k damage in a single turn, and can be done every short rest and...
Okay but is it fun?

it really shouldn't, some people really enjoy system mechanics

My DM did something similar for character creation. The bad part is it was over text, and he asked for each roll individually, so it went like
>roll 4d6
>okay now roll 1d100
>okay now roll 2d8
>okay now roll 4d6
>okay now roll 4d6
>okay now roll 1d100
>okay now roll 2d8
Then whatever we rolled for never even came up. It was some randomly generated backstory stuff, but he never told us any of it.
Then he made us do it again the next campaign he ran.
why

I have the opposite problem I love crunch but loath combat I get so exited before my turn when i get to play since I've been dming long enough to know the system really well. But when i actually have to sit there rolling all the dice and adding up its just not satisfying or fun