Dungeon world:

Dungeon world:
How do you use the messy/forceful tags? are they really useful in game?

Also post your favorite playbooks

Other urls found in this thread:

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Glaive
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Guandao
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Naginata
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

>How do you use the messy/forceful tags?
See that's the thing about a lot of Dungeon World's rules is that they are just flavor and don't really mean anything.

Mess for things that beak stuff or make life more complicated when they're used.

Fight with a doublehanded axe, after the fight you're covered in gore that can attract predators, cause problems in social situations, give bonuses if you're trying to intimidate people, make it harder to hide, your hands are slippery for climbing, etc. Depends on what happened with the tag and what the characters are doing.

Forceful is more straightforward. It knocks things around. Hitting an opponent with it gives the gm the ability to describe more details for the players to use. It can knock a goblin close to a ledge, crack the shield, break off part of the building's support column, etc.

They're suppose to give you more ideas to work with not more mechanics.

Literally placebo rules.

This guy knows what he's talking about.

These guys don't.

Messy is handy in situations like where you're trying to intimidate your enemies, as hacking the front line to ugly bits can scare the hell out of the guys behind. Forceful is super useful if you're, for example, defending a narrow bridge, since you can knock enemies flying off, eliminating them even if you rolled low on damage.
The tags' mechanical effects are that they alter the outcome of combat, and you're supposed to parse how a given use turns out via logic and common sense, rather than going over pages of detailed rules for "every" situation. (Especially since it's impossible to cover every situation where these tags would come up)

>my GM forbids me from cutting the head off a dragon with a spear, says it makes no sense
>party wizard spams spells despite it saying one active at a time on his spell sheet
>party druid's backstory is freeing himself from slavery and blowing up a whole mine and island. we started at level 1
>no one seems to know how defy danger works
Not a good first experience with this fucking game

In reality nobody does. It's supposed to be the "everything else" move but really it could just be the only move and the game would be pretty much the same.

>my GM forbids me from cutting the head off a dragon with a spear, says it makes no sense

He's right. Spears are thrusting weapons, you would be hard pressed to decapitate a naked stationary human, much much less a dragon actively trying to kill you.

Have you considered upgrading from literal peasant weaponry to something in the same family but designed for slashing?
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Glaive for western settings
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Guandao for eastern
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Naginata for weebs

>party wizard spams spells despite it saying one active at a time on his spell sheet
Don't let them get away with this or they'll showboat forever and even when it crosses a line the DM will be reluctant to reign him in because he's already fucked up and allowed him to do it.

>party druid's backstory is freeing himself from slavery and blowing up a whole mine and island. we started at level 1
No one knows how to write a backstory anymore. God damn. If you're level 1 don't write how you're a legendary hero. If you're starting level 5 don't write yourself as a normal guy.

To be perfectly honest, I'm not 100% sure myself.

Terrible game, someone should advise the auth

MEME THIS NOW

Game is honest to God garbage. None of it makes sense anyway. Best just play something better.

WoD is nice though.

I looked it over. Not quite as crunchy as I usually like but leaps and bounds better than Dungeon World.

just posting this for the ¿third? time this week.

I'm trying to come up for a talent to reflect PCs of increased size (I plan on offering Trolls as a playable race). Maybe I'll mash it up with "tough" and fluff it as being just too tall. Maybe giving +1 damage die, but that overlaps with "slayer".
IDK, any Ideas?

What kind of trolls? If they're regeneraty dnd trolls I'd just give them 1 free scar with no debility to represent putting themselves back together after getting really fucked up.

Otherwise make them pick what kind of troll and Tough or Slayer should be fine.

Not exactly DnD typical trolls. Just a race of big (twice a man), furry people who happen to have dog-like instincts.

Tough should be fine. Ask them a lot of questions about what they smell or what their pack is doing.

It's basically "GM wants to make playe's life harder" -move.

>No one knows how to write a backstory anymore. God damn. If you're level 1 don't write how you're a legendary hero. If you're starting level 5 don't write yourself as a normal guy.
To be fair, we don't know the whole story. Level 1 character could escape from slavery and accidentally blow up the Magical Experimental Gunpowder stash of The Slave Island.

>Once you have taken the name and accept their wants as your own, you shift into a form fit for a goblin king; goat’s horns and taloned feet, a face shrouded in darkness, wild glamourous hair and strangely alluring features

FABULOUS

Thank you man, i think that's what i'm doing.

thats also what I thought
>Roll +CHA to hack and slash
AWESOME

OP what you want is Dungeon World

It's pretty much objectively one of the best currently out there. It has fast easy to use mechsnics and is perfect for beginners, it's a lot cheaper than most of these other rules bloated systems that cost fifty dollars. There is no reason for extra rules when it is he role playing that matters. Dungeon World is fast and innovative and still feels exactly like the spirit of ADND before DnD 3.5 destroyed the hobby and ruined a generation of role players.

You want fast, intuitive combat? Dungeon World does that.

You want real, deep roleplaying mechanics? Dungeon World does that.

You want great mechanics that reward diversity of play? Dungeon World does that as well.

My last session of Dungeon World my human fighter wrapped a vampire in a bear hug and wrestled him out a window. This is real roleplaying we are talking about here, not babby 3.5 shit. Do yourself a favor and pick up a copy of Dungeon World today, it is an evolution and perfection of the half-formed ideas in Apocalypse World (the game it is derived from)

That's not the entertaining pasta.

I don't have the VirtualOptim pasta if that's the one you mean.
Haven't seen it in a while.

Veeky Forums, we REALLY need to talk about the recent surge in popularity of "Dungeon World" and its sister systems around here, especially the trend of recommending it as a good system for "introducing" players to our hobby.
I understand there is an obsession with being subversive and finding the most super specialest alternative to D&D possible, but having finally taken the time to read into Dungeon World and the reasons why this game has caught on around here and other forums I feel the need to be frank: this NEEDS to stop. I try as hard as I can not to be a "badwrongfun" style curmudgeon, but this is not a role playing game. Full stop. This is not a role playing game, and this disingenuous promotion of it as such is legitimately dangerous to this hobby. This is an exercise in self-congratulatory free form group storytelling.
This is a "game" where the danger of literally any challenge is by design arbitrary, not just from encounter to encounter, but from action to action. There's no actual combat or tactics at play, everyone takes turns basically describing a "cool fantasy battle" and resolve everything through "dodge danger" and "hack and slash" rolls triggered at the GM's whim. This is a game proud of being anti-structure, where the goal is to explain to the GM how many cool things your players do instead of actively overcoming any challenges in your way.
It's chaos. Consequences of certain failures are decided collaboratively. The GM is encouraged to be more of an antagonistic player than an actual referee of any rules. At Veeky Forums's suggestion I watched a few videos of people playing this. At one point the *GM* asked the *PLAYERS* what rumors they had heard in town.

I get that the people involved in this game by admission shill it everywhere, but please stop pushing this as a system for beginners. It's dangerous to our hobby and the behaviors it promotes encourages entitled players with disruptive expectations for how parties are meant to work.

Stop.