/epg/ - Eclipse Phase General

You don't need other boards in /epg/ Edition

>>OFFICIAL BOOKS
robboyle.wordpress.com/eclipse-phase-pdfs
>>Transhumanity's FATE (FATE Conversion)
mediafire.com/download/ae113ujgd3hggpl/Transhumanitys_FATE.pdf
>>X-Risks and After The Fall
mega.nz/#F!KwcS0bJK!9KLjZegzebaq-mlPUin45Q
>>Chuck's Eclipse Phase Wiki
eclipse-phase.wikispaces.com/

PLAY AIDS:
>>the10 things you should know about Eclipse Phase
docs.google.com/document/d/1Qnrh0w7H0Jl2_CSsySRxcs4ugw27xsBIk5MYwXq2nDQ/edit
>>Advice for new players and GMs
pastebin.com/e0EErN6X
>>Eclipse Phase hacking cheet sheet
eclipsephase.com/downloads/voidstate_eclipse_phase_hacking_cheatsheet_v1-1.pdf
>>Online character creator
eclipsephase.next-loop.com/Creator/version4/index.php
/view/?axe1vs35muk4juh
>>Eclipse Phase xls Character sheet
sites.google.com/site/eclipsephases/home/cabinet
>>Downloadable Character Creator
mediafire.com/file/5wr4yo6bdymuijr/Agency.exe
>>Singularity: The Official Character Creator
mediafire.com/file/fsmkm846acu6kcy/singularity.zip

COMMUNITY CONTENT:
>>the 3 new adventures for your use in convenient PDF form
awdaberton.wordpress.com/about/
>>Ander's Sandberg's Eclipse Phase fanmade content, including several modules
aleph.se/EclipsePhase/
>>Farcast: An Eclipse Phase yearblog full of items, locations, NPCs, and plot hooks
mediafire.com/download/dhqd1m83xc1wmpj/Farcast_Yearblog_2013.pdf
>>The Ultimate's Guide to Combat
eclipsephase.com/sites/default/files/UltimatesGuideToCombat11a.pdf
>>Seedware: Another Yearblog
dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/36317552/Seedware Blog.pdf
>>H-Rep: A Homebrew Blog
ephrep.blogspot.com/

/EPG/ HOMEBREW CONTENT
docs.google.com/document/d/19Gy02gp6-WPQ3SoN_24kLPTUu5EjFO8qh_9pjJSVrrY/edit

Previous Thread:

Other urls found in this thread:

archive.4plebs.org/tg/thread/41148002/#41170167
pastebin.com/qbmYt5ty
mega.nz/#!KAJlxKqL!5qrTFjjLTWHpSA-ONZ6KTtqqVOiA3cu90IeX-v04RJs
mega.nz/#!qVBQBALD!oN1Rl14zrLHduGxJ8k3JbzDCHq-i5Eq_nCy7E6ZsT64
mega.nz/#!TNgjmQgL!sbYKgHixtiCcL7GLNWyz4HdmnsTGZ-sHvP6lkHJsf38
mega.nz/#!bQ4QVAzZ!n6gW1tugSuYUG-FrZnx4nm3ij0lsBhz6iIg_5fwqQcg
mega.nz/#F!rQxHRB6b!FVKChtHZYrT8BaqgOcqOwA
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

I'll start off with a question - do you think there's any armor tech or armor mods which would be possible with EP tech that is not already represented in the game?

Gecko Grip Armor. Climb well and Never Ever let go in a grapple.

Magnetically shielded armor. Interferes with plasma and charged particles just before impact reducing density. Also ca be used to stick to magnetic things. Makes unsecured magnetic things react strongly if they're nearby.

Spiked/studded armor: deals extra damage with unarmed attacks (just so armor besides battle suits and the Crasher Suit can have this)

Not armor strictly speaking, but CIWS. Because who needs kinetic armor when you can just shoot down incoming projectiles?

One of the yearblogs at least made an anti-seeker system where an AI would auto track and fire on incoming Seekers with it's own explosives.

I'd expect though that CIWS and other systems for missile defense and the like might get mentioned when Space Combat is done - at least conceptually if we don't get more hard numbers.

It's always irked me that with all the crazy shit going on, EP has no rules for intercepting projectiles or dodging them a la Matrix, Fray notwithstanding.

Well, with mental speed you can see a bullet coming at you - at least. I think though the setting still thinks most bodies can't react fast enough to do anything about a bullet.

You could interpolate some ideas like holding an action to hit a bullet but that'd be pretty hard a very small target for -30 and probably not great to hit more than one at a time. Seekers are a little bigger, slower and more obvious so missile defense ideas are probably more sound.

X-Risks has a few TITAN machines which have that kind of active defenses. There's no reason the tech couldn't exist on similarly sized Transhuman built machines. I get the sense that large active defenses are kind of hard to put on small human-sized frames though.

>Space Combat
I just hope that it's less autistic than Children of a Dead Earth.

I don't know anything about "Children of a Dead Earth" but I'd wager unless they only hire hard science nerds with no fucking care about the pragmatic elements of fiction or "gaming" (i/e people need to be able to play the game without calculus) they probably can't be too autistic.

Current "space combat rules" are "just do what you want with the narrative because it's really complex and scary for just 4-6 dudes to wrap their heads around".

Alright, lets try a new prompt. Have you guys think about the culture of the future - invent some new "genres" of cooking which might appear in the future, either because of FUTURE FOOD TM or just weird fusion cuisine that happens because somehow, say, Mexicans and Russians ended up crammed into the same living space.

The edible nanotechnology morphs and crazy foods from Fixe Prix are a standout of crazy transhuman foods.

We need Eclipse Phase cooking shows.

I remember in the long-ago, there was at least one thread where we made jokes about Ultimate cooking shows (because Cooking can be an art too) and the Dimondium Chef. Now that X-Risks is out that idea actually works a lot better.

>"Today's secret ingredient is... Vydra! And you have to kill it first!"

Wasn't there something like diamond chef with Ultimates a while back.

Found the post that started it.

archive.4plebs.org/tg/thread/41148002/#41170167

I recall this thread now. It was a good thread.

Yet another instance of "Project Futura High School" jokes.

...Do you think somebody made an unironic animeification of that by AF 10 or is it still too fresh?

Question: With package building, do you get to choose your characters background and faction in addition to their respective packages?

Veeky Forums Scum Fleet /a/ would do it, but I don't know how unironic anything out of /a/ would be.

4. Spend 10 Package Points.
a) At least one package must be from Backgrounds.
b) At least one package must be from Factions.

Obviously, the package(s) you pick for each is your Background and Faction. Now, there's really nothing that precludes you from picking both Hyperelite: Scion and Fall Evacuee: Enclaver, but I guess that you pick one or the other as your "official" Background.

>Now, there's really nothing that precludes you from picking both Hyperelite: Scion and Fall Evacuee: Enclaver, but I guess that you pick one or the other as your "official" Background.
I don't mean two background packages or two faction packages, I mean the background and faction as found in the Core rulebook. Do I get to pick those in addition to the packages?

No. You pick a single character creation method.
>Children of a Dead Earth keeps crashing when my volley of a hundred nukes goes off
baka desu senpai

That's actually the reason lasers are so OP in that game. It's not that hard to make missile swarms which can overwhelm them, but the game crashes if you try.

We're back to talking about fighting in space?

It's either that or we talk about Jovians.

The worst is when we talk about the Jovians fighting in space.

That's what silica aerogel is for. Unfortunately, I'm on the mission that unlocks custom components. The fucking Cutter is so much more resilient than the Fleet Carrier, Frigate, and Siloship. A single large volley not even on target but manually detonated takes out their engines and often the smaller weapons.

FFS, I was getting along fine with volleys of 50. I decided to try a volley of 25, because so many of my missiles were overshooting since they form such a big formation, but then it shot them all down. This wasn't a problem. The problem was that once it shot them all down, the game crashed.

Not really. The only problem is "No biomorphs in combat ships! REEEEEEEEEEEEEE!"

Honestly, the real worst is "no morphs in spaceships just egocast REEEEEE!"

Like none at all? Even when there's plenty of short duration travel?

I mean, I don't think I've seen anybody fight about an LOTV, but yeah, there are people in heated discussions who insist that there's no crew and no physical crew space on ships - that bulk transports should be completely automated and that passenger craft should be really rare.

But that's not really supported by the game - every ship has a passenger capacity and that's only explicitly an infomorph/AI for the Fighter and given that automech drones are also medium sized there's not really an argument for the fact that internal space shouldn't also fit transhumans. I've heard some people say to just rub nanos on everything, but that would be very expensive and inefficient even by in-game standards.

If you want to mess around with that stuff there's an option to unlock all the editors without finishing the game.

The stock lasers aren't OP, it's the multi-GW monsters running off of nearly melting reactors players have made which are OP. If the game didn't limit combat range to 1 megameter they'd start burning stuff down from beyond it. You need good armor and intense saturation to break through those. There's also some armored drones with powerful guns which have worked ok IIRC. I don't follow this super closely.

I think what often gets overlooked is that AI doesn't actually make things that much cheaper than transhumans in fields they compete in.

AI mostly seem to have advantages in long term cost, obedience and generally less red tape.

The PC doesn't like you making their public image worse, so they watch what you do to indentures, humans need human stuff like they need proper storage space, they need mental health stuff and eventually you need to give them a real body at the end or something like it - or else they become a pain, and you have to fuck with their brains if you want them to just "follow orders" but ALIs just do what you tell them to because they aren't people.

You need to do a medium skill task over and over again 1000 times, get an AI. You need to do 1000 menial, low-skill tasks all at once? Get some shitty humans.

That and the thermodynamics are fucked to hell while the author sticks his fingers in his ears

>obedience
Given how frequently fully automated facilities were going rogue pre fall (there just aren't fully automated facilities anymore) that's debatable. If you stick enough expert systems/ALis together on a network they frequently seem to explode into new, unpredictable, and disobedient forms.

>generally less red tape
I don't think so. Indenture or employment (and you probably want to employ the crew of a ship, so they don't have any ideas about running off to an anarchist station) probably have less red tape and complexity.

If you're using AI, you're either buying a license, which given how regulated AI is in the inner system is probably harder than getting egos in InDex. Or you're developing in house, which entails R&D costs, and being legally on the hook for an automated ship going rogue.

AI shouldn't be left alone for long periods, which means having a transhuman (who could be a stable AGI) on board to keep an eye on things.

>humans need human stuff like they need proper storage space, they need mental health stuff and eventually you need to give them a real body at the end or something like it - or else they become a pain, and you have to fuck with their brains

All of that is cheaper than the fallout from a rogue single cargo ship deciding to get some payback by attempting to ram Progress or similar. It likely won't succeed, but a lot of people in suits with Oversight badges are going to be snooping around. The cost is already small. Crew compartments are cheap as hell compared to fuel and cargo, and I'd expect payroll to be similar.

That means well paid, loyal crews who aren't desperate. Thanks to the way AI work, that means AGI or paid humans. Expert system networks are risky, as are indentures. This becomes a lot more true for a passenger ship.

>there just aren't fully automated facilities anymore
[citation needed]

I mean, given how Zombieland and I think some other Zbryny holdings to have what appear to be fully automated cargo ships which come and go mostly unmolested (because if you bother them they blow the fuck up) there can't be that much level of "burn the heretic" concerning the use of ALI - and sub-ALI expert systems would probably be even more relaxed. ALI is integrated into almost every consumer device including vehiculars.

The issue of ALI emergence has to do with giving singular AIs way too much power and space and then asking them to fill it by running programs over and over again with shitloads of data - that makes them weird. You load a pilot AI into an Ecto and space-tape it over the Wi-fi port on your cargo ship it should run just fine - do that with an Infomorph though and he'd be cramped as hell. That said, that rolls back into an old argument about using just ALI to run your ship which has it's own problems because without an actual generalized controlling intelligence somewhere along the way you run into the problems of AIs being unable to improvise or change direction without additional input - and if they're REALLY SHITTY AI, they can paperclip on you.

I agree with you about the licensing issue, though. This is why I say an AI is good for a single type of task of medium skill you need repeated over and over again. AI doesn't need overtime and if you give some of them a supervisor and don't give them a lot of hardware they can do simple stuff very fine. AIs could probably run trains, for instance, so long as you gave them a 3-ring binder equivalent. This is why I say AI has less long-term cost. You can pay more cash upfront and get something which really shouldn't cost you as much money over all over indentures and especially employees. They don't need housing, they don't need benefits, they're ideal to run in basic computing units, they don't need to be physically instanced or can instance directly in many drones without costly cyberbrains, they don't complain about being in a shitty plastic body or about needing to eat or sleep and assuming you aren't a Cognite level retard, the standard behavioral programing means they follow orders and obey local laws.

Now, obviously you can do fucked up shit to transhuman egos and ignore all those needs for the cheap - but that also brings the Oversight badge men who do not look kindly to you causing waves in the public while they try and do some actual shit. Extropia cares the least, but part of that is because their system is built on the idea that you should read the fine print when you agree to something because agreements are the only rules they have - so if you get fucked then really you should have planned better.

I'm not saying it's impossible, or that there's 40k tier responses to AI, just that it's regulated enough that other options are somewhere between competitive and better.

>ALI is integrated into almost every consumer device including vehiculars.

Those are single AIs working with transhumans,which is different from an automated ship or something like the Efficia 6 Integrated Microfacturing System mentioned in Firewall.

Zombieland is plausibly a pet project by Theia, a TITAN. It's a super sketchy situation as well, so I don't think it's a good example of SOP regarding automation.

Zombieland is the only published automated facility post fall, (I think, prove me wrong) and it's likely being operated by a TITAN.

>The issue of ALI emergence has to do with giving singular AIs way too much power and space and then asking them to fill it by running programs over and over again with shitloads of data

It also appears to happen frequently with any reasonably large network of communicating AIs. It was enough of a problem that many countries created counter-rogue infolife agencies well before the fall. Computational strength doesn't appear to be much of a factor once you're using learning enabled AI. (which is basically any of them with a profile)

I don't really see AI in general as important to spacecraft specifically, so I'm not answering those here. Going industry by industry to figure out if AI are better isn't something I really care about. Suffice to say that crewing a space ship is not anywhere near as simple as driving a train.

I mean, I think we've stopped discussing the same thing. My original comments were on AI in general, and in turn so seemed to be the comment I responded to.

I personally am not a proponent of all AI ships. Since device/vehicle AI are supposed to be pretty common, I'm not surprised if a lot of ships have one, because, y'know, +10 Teamwork helps. But also I think just AI running the ship or even just infomorphs has it's own problems which really shouldn't be too hard to solve by having a couple of people with hands around.

Then I think we agree.

Do you dream of someday being purple and smoking with your foot hands in zero-g while you load your guns with your hand-hands in your underwear and chill with your bro, Salamander man, who in a statistical sense does things salamanders can, /epg/?

There are numerous references to automated freighters in the setting

I didn't until now, no.

>prove me wrong

Rimward notes numerous self-replicating automated mining stations in the belt

pastebin.com/qbmYt5ty
Go go \users\(you)\AppData\Roaming\CDE\UserDesigns.txt and slap that fucker in there. 6.2 unguided (helps with game crashing) 50 kt nukes per second at 4.24 km/s with a thin layer of graphite aerogel

>tfw Jovians invade you hab

Hey fellow transhumans; I'm just starting to get into Eclipse Phase and I was wondering if any of you guys were in for some storytime sharing? I'm interested to hear what types of X-risks you used or plan on using in your campaigns? I need inspiration.

Basilisk Hacks, Psi Phenomena, and good ol' humans being stupid.

I copied all content of H-rep blog to file. I'll update both files when unitomega will add new entries.

docx - mega.nz/#!KAJlxKqL!5qrTFjjLTWHpSA-ONZ6KTtqqVOiA3cu90IeX-v04RJs
pdf - mega.nz/#!qVBQBALD!oN1Rl14zrLHduGxJ8k3JbzDCHq-i5Eq_nCy7E6ZsT64

Appended the link and a brief shout out to the end of the latest entry.

How do you handle rep favours and Expensive items?
For instance, should Expensive(30000+) items be as easy to acquire as regular Expensive items?

H-rep file updated to 25.02.17.

pdf - mega.nz/#!TNgjmQgL!sbYKgHixtiCcL7GLNWyz4HdmnsTGZ-sHvP6lkHJsf38

docx - mega.nz/#!bQ4QVAzZ!n6gW1tugSuYUG-FrZnx4nm3ij0lsBhz6iIg_5fwqQcg

Looks like Mega changes links every time as I update file. :( Any suggestions?

I don't know much about mega, but I think if you make a folder and keep switching/adding new versions the folder should stay the same, I think.

Speaking of which, hopefully it's not some huge secret that, y'know, I come here and occasionally pitch or mine ideas from /epg/ for entries. So if anybody ever wants to comment on something or throw something at me they'd like to see somebody else do heavy lifting on - feel free. I plan H-Rep roughly pretty far in advance. Anonymous comments are allowed on the blog, too.

Google drive

>Hot shot pilot

You prefer Eidolons?

Thanks, that works.

New (and final) link to H-rep file: mega.nz/#F!rQxHRB6b!FVKChtHZYrT8BaqgOcqOwA

Prostitutes

I just thought how awesome it would be to have this in some game, hiding from biomutants and trying to find remaining safe areas in the slime covered buildings.

Shouldn't there be a hallway connecting the wheel instead of just trusses?

Look closer, two of those trusses are filled with hallway.

Well, at least a couple of them anyway.

H-rep user, if you are around really enjoying your shit.

That's a DShK not a M2.

Can I play an exhuman?

Yes.

If you don't straddle the line between human and exhuman regularly you are biocon scum and deserve the extinction coming to you.

Thanks, user.

I'm always here

>tfw Jovians invade you hab
Those are quite strong words.
>tfw fresh friendly friends visit my hab to never leave again

I know, right? He's not even using the right gun for the shopping cart.