Knights of the Chalice

KotC is an RPG videogame based on the same rules as D&D 3.5, based on the Open Game Licence 3.5. Sounds pretty awesome, from what I've heard it's the most accurate depiction of DND combat in a videogame. I haven't played it yet but I've watched a few let's play videos. Thoughts?

>Apparently very good AI, turn based combat
>4 player party
>175 magic spells taken from D&D

>shills get out
>REEEEEEEEE
Etc, etc

Seems like fucking expensive for that kind of game

20 hours for $15

the only problem is that the developer is too retarded to put it on steam or gog because he's whinging about the distribution deals or something

>based on the same rules as D&D 3.5
Dropped.

I'm not talking about hours per money ratio. I'm talking abour independent game with rpg maker like engine. Those tend to be really cheap on steam.

RPGCodex loves it because they're 50% made of people who only pretend to like oldschool video games while having 1260 hours in Skyrim and Fallout 4 that they hate and 50% of people who actually have some of the best and biggest and most extensive threads on those games.

So yeah, it's good for simulationism, I suppose.

He's completely ego driven and deluded

The original price was $25 when the game first came out

If you know where to look you can find the 100% discount.

Is it worth it though?

The game is ok, but it's literally what it says on the tin. A series of 3.5 combats loosely strung by story.

>DND combat
Literally who gives a fuck
That's the worst part of DND and why DND videogames are doomed to be, at best, decent dungeoncrawler RPGs (or ignore the source material).
90% of the reason to play DND is to have an adventure with limitless possibilities, not present in some basic JRPG with DND combat.

>mfw this game utterly fucking fails

Excuse me, user, but doesn't every RPG have that? If you don't like D&D's combat system it seems to me there's not much reason to like D&D. There are many other RPGs with much lighter combat rulesets.

You don't really need rules to RP, do you user?

Do you?

of course you need rules to RP
otherwise you'ld just make whatever you want to happen happen. There has to be a chance of unexpected and bad things happening that's what makes it fun.

Playing it now, got it for 0 dollars because lol

Not sure what to think right now, the first combat is kind of a clusterfuck.

I won't say it's the most faithful rendition, that would have to go to TOEE. There are only three classes and three races (Fighter/Wizard/Cleric, Human/Mul/Half-elf) but that just cuts out all the stupid chaff desu

I'll have to play more to get a real verdict, but right now I'm kind of feeling it.

yea fug it I'm going to buy it for free

$15 is a ridiculous price, if it was on steam for less than $10 I'ld grab it. Why the fuck does he need to complicate everything, steam is easy and simple to buy from

It's not shit but it's not very good either. It's better than ToEE at least by virtue of having passable encounter design, but by the same token it's far less interesting to build parties because of how little build variety there is, as combat maneuver builds are shit, casters will get enough feats to build a SoL/CoDzilla monster and do anything else you want them to, and weapons are a shitshow where there are a few very obvious winners thanks to reach not existing, and how horrible the class balance is - if you want a game that will teach you EXACTLY why caster supremacy is a thing in RAW 3.5, look no further, because there is literally no point in taking a Knight over a battle Cleric and SoL spells run rampant over many, many, many encounters.

This isn't me making a snap judgment because 3.5 is a garbage system, either. I've beaten KotC.

>You don't really need rules to RP
This user enjoys playing literal Calvinball

>looks like a game that should be older than 3.5
>it's not even quality retro, just unpolished as fuck
>that bullshit perspective
>based on worst edition
Nah m8.

>the most accurate depiction of DND combat in a videogame

that would be temple of elemental evil, which actually inspired knights of the chalice

kotc is fine too, but only 3 classes is gimped as fuck