Bitchin bestiaries

RPGs with biggest, most detailed bestiaries thread go.

Other urls found in this thread:

lomion.de/cmm/_index.php
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

Is that you again, "RPG without roleplaying"-user?

2e.

>"RPG without roleplaying"
Never said that, i said "no mechanics that force roleplay" in one of my threads.
First week on /tg and looking around. I have no time to make monsters. So I'm checking out anons opinions what market has right now.

I don't know about the biggest, but the Hacklopedia of Beasts is pretty detailed (pic related). Hackmaster is a terrible system, but the Hacklopedia of Beasts is pretty cool, if a bit overly edgy at times.

Does 2e blow 3.5, 4 out of the water? 5 is still fresh.

The newest DSA Beastiary is incredible detailed.

Thx, this looks really neat.
Why is hackmaster terrible though?

Came here to post this.

Hackmaster was game system which started as a joke on 1st Edition Dungeons & Dragons, but later editions of it played the joke for serious. Just an abusive amount of rules crunch. I'm not at all exaggerating when I say there were 37 listed varieties of troll in the Hacklopedia.

There was a lot of good humor for Grognards buried throughout, though. KenzerCo knew its audience well.

It revels in the worst parts of AD&D, taking the unnecessarily fiddly details and cranking them up to 11. Like, it takes the idea of percentile strength and applies it to all attributes, no matter how low or high they are, just because it thinks extra fiddly details are cool. Pic is from Hackmaster *Basic*. Judge for yourself.

Ah! Sorry, took the wrong scan.

Have a HQ image.

>37 variaties of monster
>detailed seconds system for loading and shooting crossbow
I might bite. How long does it take to defeat generic encounter?

Thank you. This also looks very beautiful, even without knowing german. How is the combat like in this gem?

Sorry, I've got no clue. Never actually played the game. I've just hated games I've played with half as much bullshit.

>game for grognards
Stuff into the trash, throw the can into Mt Doom, bomb the planet from the orbit.

Very deadly, definitely not as crazy as your typical D&D game.

Combat can be adjusted from a vanilla d20 to specialized fighting styles, segmented armor and lots of side effects. The more "focus"-rules you use the more difficult and detailled the game and the combat becomes. You can basically start with just the corerules and slowly add more detailed crunch.

Most things are decided by two values "attack/parry" that get modified by your mastery with a certain combat technique and the effects of the current battlefield. E.g. If you have high grounds, stay behind cover, if the ground is muddy, range of engagement, of you fight against an oponent with a longer weapon e.t.c... Addtitional to that you can use an offhand or parrying weapon like a gauntlet, parry dagger or buckler/hield that can either be used to give you a passive boost on your main weapon OR can be used as the parrying weapon of choice. Most of them have structure points that can also be per-segment. So it's possible for just the topside of a shield to be destroyed and give openings for aimed strikes. Same goes for armor. If you are weakly armored on your legs, don't be surprised if the oponent actually aims for them.

Another thing that's rather deadly in DSA combat are pain-effects. After losing 1/4 of your HP you go into pain and your combat efficience decreases. Additional there are combat maneuvers that are specialized attacks with its own rules.

Going into a detailed explanation would probably be rather boring and unnecessary blow up the thread. Pic related is the vanillasheet combatsheet, without the focus rules.

The Numenera bestiary is 93% terrible, but there is some great art and a scant handful of really cool, exciting monsters.

Ok so far we have DnD, DSA and Hackmaster.

Is hackmaster/DSA better with minis or without?

Germany already shown they make great RPG world with gothic and gothic 2 so i have high hopes for this one.

Depends how detailed you want your battles to be. DSA is playable - like every P&P - with just pen, paper and die.

It's a great tool to show where you are standing on the map and a great tool of measuring distances that are sometimes important. But you can do that just fine with a sketch. I personally play TDE without any additional help except a general area map for over 12 years now.

>first week on Veeky Forums
>makes 3 threads

shut up and read more

And? Those threads are great.

>I want vague thing
>dozen suggestions
>no those not thing

great

Pokemon

get out

What is vague here? Big bestiary? Did you drop on your head or somethin?

on your way to another great thread I can tell

IF lots of autismos will come and screech becouse somebody wants big bestiary, yeah sure. I don't need to be constantly reminded I should like something. You want to play games with smaller bestiaries fine by me.

Protip: not everything is about you, and stuff you like.

I learned lots of stuff, on my way to buy some game systems. If you have problem with that you always GTFO froom my thread.

user you definitely need to lurk more, you sound butthurt AF.

>not everything is about you
>get out of my thread

Please return to whatever board you lurked before Veeky Forums

This thread makes me wish there was a new Witcher RPG, with a literal lexicon filled with pages about each creature, so the players could slowly build up even minute details about the monsters they hunt.

I didn't lurk anything before /tg.

I'm not butthurt i would just ask you politely to not trash this thread. You get money for spamming ads how small systems are great or are you just stupid?

If the rest of the book is like this, then it looks pretty fantastic to me. This is exactly the level of detail I was looking for.

>I didn't lurk anything before Veeky Forums
Wew lad. Just lurk more instead of pretending you own the place and getting butthurt when people call you out on shitty etiquette.

>paragraphs of text with bullshit you'll never use
>sometimes even pages
>when just having a quick, evocative description with a simple statblock and an image would actually help during the game

I don't understand ya'll

Nice try, Pathfinder shill

I don't need to lurk here more. This is the only topic I am interested in on this site.

Op here. I guess you are right. Sorry, I'm kinda new in this hobby. Just wanted big bestiaries, with lots of entries. I guess another topic for tomorrow it is then. And another(or the same) autistic butthurt fags coming over.

Thanks for recomendation, will look on to it.

Assuming you're not baiting, OP, I'd honestly advice that you check out the original AD&D monster manual. Gives you a good idea of why a lot of D&D monsters are the way they are and give you enough material to start thinking about stuff for yourself.

Interesting. So there is something wrong with later editions monster manuals? Or are they lacking in entries/content?

>I didn't lurk anything before /tg.

>I don't need to lurk here more.

Why can't I hold these forty big laughs

Writers of most new RPG books are paid by the word count, so they churn out a lot of pointless and superfluous stuff. What you want is stuff that serves the game, like stats, how monsters will react, a picture so you know how to describe them.

lomion.de/cmm/_index.php

What's edgy about it?

>lomion.de/cmm/_index.php
Woah. Really nice. Is that official? Moar games like this would be a bliss.

It's not official, but it is an extensive fan work. Lots of links and hand typed stuff. Someone was a very big fan of AD&D and I appreciate their effort.

I agree OP, pathfinder IS the best.

OP, you're a stupid motherfucker.

You asked poorly for a game that you wouldn't have to modify, and now you're asking for random bestiaries from any system that you're going to have to modify.

Just play any dnd. Any of them. It has rules for rp you can ignore, it has bestiaries, it has characters.

kek
>random bestiaries from any system that you're going to have to modify.
Not random. They are big, polished bestiaries. Those systems do not require any DYI stuff( becouse good budget).
Anons already delivered some good systems, so how am I stupid exactly?

>Just play any dnd.
Maybe i want to take a look at various merchandise and decide what appeals to me better?

I want to give you the benefit of the doubt because you're esl but you're also a tool.

>He thinks because D&D/Pathfinder has big bestiary it doesn't require any homebrew.

You are a funny mothafucka.

Why does it require homebrew?

>esl
??

If you think OP cares about gameplay balance, not knowing anything about RPGS, you are quite wrong. He won' even touch homebrews.

Killing 75% of potential slaves.
Still: no defecation, no torturing, burning alive, rape, force abortion etc. I would give it 3 out of 11 edges tops.

Sounds pretty reasonable to me.
They're orcs, did you expect them to play nice?

Bump.
So far we have DnD, Hackmaster, and The Dark Eye. Anything else? It doesn't have to be detailed as in describing behaviour of a monster in 10 pages, as long as it's massive and has good deal of entries.

I dunno OP, that looks about it to be honest.

My family photo album

;3;

>You
>>>Oven.

lyl

I'm actually going with 3.0/5. You'll be pretty hard pressed to find a creature that wasn't reprinted with metric tons of additional stuff that edition had.
>4e had species diversity but not monster diversity- and by that I mean there were lots of great variants on more populate monsters species and less focus on wholly different species.
>5e hasn't been around long enough. But heres hoping it surpasses, because more options are never bad.

Although. 2e had them in one nice fucking binder. Dropping that idea was the worst idea.

This is pretty great.