/tgesg/ - Weekend Elder Scrolls General

Not sure if I haven't used this same image for an older edition Edition

>Tabletop/P&P RPGs
[UESRPG - P&P RPG] docs.google.com/document/d/1pTgTN2aJUoY95JtquowagfUJLL7tCQYhzJKcCAcbvio/edit?usp=sharing
[Scrollhammer - Tabletop Wargame] 1d4chan.org/wiki/Scrollhammer_2nd_Edition
Discussion in #Scrollhammer (irc.thisisnotatrueending.com (port 6667))

>Lore Resources
[The Imperial Library] imperial-library.info/
[/r/teslore] reddit.com/r/teslore/
[UESP/Lore] uesp.net/wiki/Lore:Main_Page
[Pocket Guide to the Lore] docs.google.com/document/d/1AtsWXZKVqB4Q825_SwINY6z4_9NaGknXgeOknOCDuCU/edit
[Elder Lore Podcast] elderlore.wordpress.com/
[How to Become a Lore Buff] forums.bethsoft.com/topic/1112211-how-to-become-a-lore-buff/

>General Rules
This is NOT /tesg/ minus waifus, so behave properly.
Keep the squabbling to a minimum.
No waifus/husbandos except for OP

Previous Kalpa:

Other urls found in this thread:

forum.openmw.org/viewtopic.php?f=45&t=4154
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

Does anyone else like it more when a hold and its capital city have a different name?

So Eastmarch-Windhelm instead of Whiterun-Whiterun. What would be a good alternative name for Winterhold, Whiterun and Falkreath? (whether the city or the hold changes name is up to you)

Northtundra
Middleplains
Southforest

why hasnt bethesda hired you yet

>Winterhold and Dawnstar both have their own holds

Am I the only one irritated by this?

this too

if you ask me they really wanted 4 stormcloak holds and 4 imperial holds with the 9th hold (whiterun) neutral

winterhold should join the pale so it can actually be relevant

>relevant

>Anything but Whiterun, Solitude and Windhelm
>Relevant
>Ever

I know those 3 are the biggest players in Skyrim's geopolitics (they're like Daggerfall, Wayrest and Sentinel in the Iliac Bay) but a united Winterhold+Dawnstar could atleast put it on the level of Riften or Markarth.

Probably, yeah.

>Winterhold and the Pale join forces
>Mass exodus from Winterhold to Dawnstar
>Dawnstar actually grows, larger work force and tax payers and all that allows it to work more mines and actually get a net gain
>Lack of Nords in Winterhold makes it more of a stop on the way to the College, rather than a rival
>More and more mages travel to Winterhold to set up shop

>Some 50 years later, Winterhold is a mage haven, and Dawnstar is a major port

Who's ready to fight Dagoth Ur in ESO: Morrowind as a raid boss?

ESO devs confirmed there's no Dagoth Ur or Sixth House stuff at all, it's peryite and Great House focused.

If you guys are interested (which you should be).

forum.openmw.org/viewtopic.php?f=45&t=4154

Go check out tes3mp.

>peryite
Is this confirmed? So far it's just heavily hinted.

Leaked dialogue confirms Peryite, and the trailer shows off diseased hungers and such. And it makes sense anyway, since Vivec is sick, and Peryite is the enemy of Mephala.

Hey. I'm learning to mod Skyrim, and my current long-ish term goal is to make some kind of return to Battlespire mod. The lore around it has always interested me, and since most of it is just wrecked, it gives me a lot of flexibility.

So, give me some lore here. I know he Battlespire still exists and is accessible, but how do you get there? I know about the Wier Gate, but does a matching gate exist on Nirn? Where? Or can the Wier Gate be linked to from anywhere with the proper magic?

Secondly, any cool ideas for what to do there? Any ideas for a quest? The links to Oblivion from the Battlespire have been destroyed, so that's out of the question. While I know that the daedrice crescents are all gone, I doubt the place has been picked clean, since it's so hard to get to--what kind of loot would you expect to find in the debris?

To be fair, Winterhold used to be a major power. Dawnstar doesn't have much of an excuse, though.

Hell fucking yes

Hsaaria
Ahroldan
Kreath

I need some good philosophers right this instant or you're fired, Veeky Forums

The/a Weir Gate was something that existed on Nirn, referenced as the Pillar of Light, and most likely in Cyrodiil, serving as a connection for the empire to it's extramundrial holdings. You would need two. Check out the book On Oblivion.

Start with the greeks > Aquinas > Descartes > Wittgenstein > Camus

I appreciate your response but I posted it in /tgesg/ for scrolls-related """philosophers"""
probably should've worded it better sorry

You could always make the trip to Battlespire by magical (or rocket if you want to be flashy and lolDwemer, though I'm pretty sure any kind of airtight airship would work) space ship. It's not even in Oblivion, so getting there should be pretty easy.

I was under the impression The Weir Gate was just the thing in the atrium of the Battlespire. Interesting.

I've read On Oblivion, as well as The Doors To Oblivion (which gave me some interesting ideas for other mods), but neither of them were very specific on this.

Well, at any rate, I don't plan to recreate Cyrodiil, so that's out of the question. Any ideas for how the player could get there? I'd like this to be as lore-friendly as possible, but I know woefully little about the specifics of things like teleportation in TES.

As I understand it, the Battlespire isn't quite in Mundus either, is it? It's in some strange liminal space on the edge of Mundus and Oblivion.

Just read the 36 Lessons, brah.

>scrolls-related philosophers
.. Huh. Well, there's Vivec, and.. Err..

Asking for philosophy specific to a fictional universe is a lot to ask, even when that fictional universe is as well developed as Mundus.

The phrase "report to the nearest Weir Gate" appears in the Sword-Meeting with Tiber, so it's likely that they connect Battlespires, of which there were at one time more of.

In the game, a character was going to fly his dragon back to Nirn from it, so it is possible to travel from the liminal fringe it's in.

>The phrase "report to the nearest Weir Gate" appears in the Sword-Meeting with Tiber, so it's likely that they connect Battlespires, of which there were at one time more of.
It seems more likely to me that there were multiple gates, all linked to the one Battlespire. At any rate, that makes my life loads easier.

>In the game, a character was going to fly his dragon back to Nirn from it, so it is possible to travel from the liminal fringe it's in.
As cool as that might be, my plan is to scale/recolor the effect used in Skyrim for the portal to Sovngarde at the end of the MQ. It looks really cool, and pretty closely matches the Weir Gate graphics from Battlespire.

You have the Dissidents, the Psijics, Sotha Sil, Hunding, the Greybeards/Jurgen, the Ternion monks, Kagrenac, the Temple of the Two-Moons Dance, the Mane/Rid-Thar-ri'Datta, Mankar, and the Whirling Schools, but most of those are either organizations or figures who are other things in addition to philosophers.

>It seems more likely to me that there were multiple gates, all linked to the one Battlespire. At any rate, that makes my life loads easier.
Actually, never mind, reading through Tiber Septim's Sword Meeting with Cyrus they do indeed say that there were multiple Battlespires at one point.

Still, this makes it pretty easy to explain, so thanks.

Yeah, it's not in Mundus, but rather on border between Oblivion and Mundus called slipstream. It can still be still be accessed by flying there (like all outer realms) since Battlespire itself was moved there (from Nirn presumably) in the first place.

Most lore friendly way to get there (given that gates are destroyed) would be either a Sunbird or Mothship, but first one is too hard to do since we really have no idea what they are and genetically engineered Moths used for Mothships (it was Reman era technology) are probably extinct. Something similar to Mothship might be good idea though.

Also, afaik powerful mages can levitate (or teleport) themselves to Oblivion and survive there by protecying themselves with magic. This requires like Imperial Battlemage tier skills though.

>(given that gates are destroyed)
When were they destroyed? According to The Doors to Oblivion, the Weir Gate to the Battlespire featured in the game was still functional after the events of the game, and after the Empire gathered and destroyed the daedric crescents.

If I ever were to run forum games in which everyone controls and roleplays as a nation, I'd base it around the Illiac Bay. The place is great for that sort of thing.
Alternatively ancient Elsweyr.

Look into the Star Galley.
You could find it crashed, rebuild it, and then travel back to the Battlespire.

Philosophy never really grew distinct from theology in Tamriel, so read religious texts.

The Battlespire is in the Twilit.

Y'know, it's been ages since I played Battlespire and I forget most of it. Now that it's coming back, what exactly IS the Star Galley. It's referred to as a ship, but it's pretty unconventional if that's the case. Why would it be needed just to go to a different section of the Battlespire? Why not just, y'know, build some stairs?

and would it really be capable of traveling the distances required to go from Nirn to the Battlespire?

Should I join the Dawnguard or the Vampires

It is a ship of some sort, I'm pretty sure of that.
It's admittedly questionable if the thing really can travel from Tamriel to the Battlespire, but it wouldn't surprise me if it could, seeing as it can fly through the Twilit from one section of the Battlespire to another. I don't know why it's needed, but at least it works.
The greater problem is that it seems to have a set route, or that's how I remember it, meaning it just flies back and forth between two points. But I think you could handwave that by saying that it's broken down, and by rebuilding it you're able to reset one of its two "anchor points" to a place in Tamriel.
Really, it's just a cool throwback to Battlespire that feasibly could be believed to be capable of magical flight. I certainly wouldn't question it.

Of course, you could always fly to the Battlespire if you had a willing dragon. Dragonne Papre was capable of flying Samar Starlover back and forth.

Yes

Wayrest is a quaint little port town and all I'm sure, lovely Temple to Akatosh. Though it just can't compare to Daggerfall, and our magnificent Temple of Kynareth. The Knights of the Rose are impressive, but again they cannot match the discipline, valor and chivalry that the Knights of the Dragon possess.

I always go with the "good guy" option, not just because it's what I'd do as well as what any sane person would do, but also because writing Believable evil hasn't been a Bethesda strong suit since House Dagoth.

I still like Camlorn more. Sounds like a really nice place from the way Mystery of Talara describes it.

What about the Order of the Raven, user?
Surely they are one of the bay's most prestigious and fabled knightly orders.

More like decadent and lacking in class, does your mother know you're reading those Mystery of Talara tomes?

She's dead senpai, part of the reason I'm an adventurer as well as a convenient way of stopping the DM from pulling bullshit.

I'm reading through some of the script and plot from Battlespire, and it seems pretty easy to handwave.

After the destruction of the Battlespire, the Star Galley lost connection with its mooring (the anchors), and was set adrift in the Void. Eventually, it fell to Nirn, and crashed somewhere in Skyrim. A mage of some kind picked up its magical signature, and has enlisted you to help him with it for reasons. With the right magic, the Galley can be repaired bound to the Battlespire again, and allow travel there. However, it's a one-way trip. For the Galley to leave the Battlespire, it would again have to be freed of its mooring, and there's no guarantee that'd you make it back to Nirn.

In order to get back, the player would have to alter the Weir Gate to send them to some location in Skyrim. Maybe the mage would have something set up in Tamriel that would function as a endpoint for the Gate after you modify it, allowing you to travel freely back and forth.

This is nice, because it would lock the player into the Battlespire, and force them to find their way out. I still don't know what's going to happen IN the Battlespire or why, but this is good progress.

Yes, the Order of the Raven has some of the best warriors in the land and I would proudly stand shoulder to shoulder with the knights who freed the land from the Camoran Usurper.

>a convenient way of stopping the DM from pulling bullshit
Has anyone here ever had a DM that's actually done something like that? I know the stories, but it's never happened to me.

I've played both orphans and characters with large families, and it's never become relevant outside of a more general threat against their town/city. Like right now, in my current campaign my character has living parents and like three older brothers, and they're all doing just fine.

And once I do everything, how should I "retire" my character as begin a new chapter in his life?

Have they confirmed why Seyda Neen somehow exists, or why Sotha Sil is full of dwemer shit?

Hlaalu trading town and possibly a holdover from old Reman era outposts that were established in 2920.

Sotha Sil is full of dwemer stuff because they're basing stuff off some of SSE's ideas, and this particular one is he collects any oddities and stores them. The dwemer stuff are weird dwemer robots he's stolen, his collection has just gotten loose in this context.

>ESO's clockwork city dungeon is the players breaking into and stealing his dwemer weeb figurines

>Argonians = Africans
>Khajiit = Bedouins
>Altmer = Ubermensch
>Bosmer = Native Americans
>Dunmer = Jews
>Nords = Norse/vikings/scandinavians
>Imperials = Romans
>Bretons = British
>Redguards = Moors
>Dwemer = Babylonians
>Ayleids = Greeks
>Orcs = Mongolians
rate/critique my autism

You need to go back.

It's true. The real reason why he was so secluded by Morrowind's time is he was depressed over losing his limited edition Zhabararatatal figurine, the one with the removal mechanical panties. Took him ages to track that one down.

good list tbqh

but you failed to make one important distinction colovian imperials are based off Romans and Nibenean Imperials are based off Greeks.

Isn't Breton a French term?

>from old Reman era outposts that were established in 2920.
The treaty with Morrowind only gave the Empire control of the eastern coast and some strategic fortresses in the mainland.
Very unlikely they would be allowed to set up actual outposts on Vvardenfell.

Doesn't preclude the possibility though.

Actually, that treaty specifically named several of the forts they wanted, and some were on Vvardenfell.

>“Not necessarily,” said the Prince. “You don't want to give us Morrowind, and I can't fault you for that. But I must have your coastline to protect the Empire from overseas aggressions, and certain key strategic border castles, such as this one, as well as Ald Umbeil, Tel Aruhn, Ald Lambasi, and Tel Mothrivra.”

>Tel Aruhn

Huh. Guess they did occupy Vvardenfell.
Okay, so why is Vivec city not being constructed until now?

does it ever snow in morrowind

in solstheim it does. In TES Arena which had seasons it snowed in the northern parts of Vvardenfell and the mainland.

It doesn't snow anywhere outside of Skyrim, dummy. Did you even play the games?

Tel Aruhn isn't really on Vvardenfell though. Most of those Telvanni Towers built off Azura's Coast have stood for millenia, so it seems doubtful that area was ever really a part of the Temple preserve.

The difference between a good DM and a bad DM is astounding. That being said it's a trope, and happened with one of the players in game wife.

>what are snowcapped mountains
>what is Bruma in Oblivion
>what are the first 2 games which had seasons
all games since daggerfall start in the fall and stay that way no matter what month it is

Bretons are real life french people and they're pretty much ported to TES almost unchanged. Even worse so than Nords being irl vikings and well nords.

French/English. That being said, they represent a lot of Western Europe in general.

The temple preserve didn't exist as a concept until Tiber Septim's time really. That was the actual point when Vvardenfell was considered off-limits.

Highrock and Cyrodiil. Checkmate Nordies.

i always saw them as representatives of medieval europe with some celtic influence

Except they have literal Scotsmen, and even some Germanic names. They're Sto Lat.

>what is a joke about bethesda's shitty game design

What happened to her?

>>Dunmer = Jews
THIS
>entire morrowind storyline is basically the Roman occupation of israel
>get holocausted in skyrim

>This

Dunmer and Khajiit are original(tm) and should be treated like it.

>Comparig Khajiit to nomads like bedouins or gypsies
You know that they have their own country?

>bedouins don't have their own kingdoms

they don't

Khajiit don't live like nomads in their own province.

Well, some of them do. But not most.

Ken Rolston seems to disagree
>Before the Empire, all of Vvardenfell was held in trust for the people of Morrowind by the Temple, with a small settlement for each of the local Great Houses -- Hlaalu, Redoran, and Telvanni.
If I had to guess, the organization of Vvardenfell as a preserve as of the Armistice was more of an official understanding between the Empire and Temple. Before then it was just a known thing amongst the Houses, that Vvardenfell was Holy land and therefore off limits.

>all of Vvardenfell was held in trust for the people of Morrowind by the Temple, with a small settlement for each of the local Great Houses -- Hlaalu, Redoran, and Telvanni.

That's already contradicted by Morrowind though, with multiple settlements having existed pre-Empire

In what way is that contradictory? The quote states Hlaalu, Redoran, and Telvanni, each had a small settlements (Balmora, Aldruhn, and Sadrtih mora, respectively) on Vvardenfell prior to the Empire's involvement.

It said settlement, not settlements. We know there's lots of other towns and such that predate the Empire.

This is simply a measure that was put into place some time after ESO, which still makes it hundreds of years old.

Yep. Like I said, the actual lore even in Morrowind seems to indicate the actual off-limits part of Vvardenfell was signed with the Septim dynasty, but before that travel was still semi-restricted.

Gypsies have Romania

No, they don't. They're like 30% of the general population, and is what Orcs are to High Rock.

A maggot infested cyst

The symbols coming out of his mouth, is that some sort of tonal magic?

Here's the full version, that one was cropped for a custom mousepad I ordered

I guess it's just some spell

it's called Zu-um

Why is this general so slow?

this has been a particularly slow friday

It's Friday. Loredas is the Lore Day.

Held hostage. She died when another player charged the badguy despite the fact I was a ranger with my bow already drawn who just needed to roll.

Whose side are YOU on????