mega.nz/#F!fkcliY4L!mhdmIs2lT3mFG3VwoLO8Qw
mega.nz/#F!XEJSFDCL!9ZZKiLi6M_wguI1uTpyjPg
mega.co.nz/#F!WUsUlSLb!556OumKLhusFd9Fw5dBMdA

>How to Lightbox
youtube.com/watch?v=OyxzC5kqbyw

>How to Moldlines
youtube.com/watch?v=A4LZ8iCSkeU

>How to strip paint
dakkadakka.com/wiki/en/Dakka_Modeling_FAQ:_How_to_Strip...

>How to Magnets
youtube.com/watch?v=w8Tkw7ttTIo

miniwargaming.com/magnet-guide
bolterandchainsword.com/topic/297605-tutorial-magnetisation/

>List of mini manufacturers for converting and proxy
pastebin.com/p6bVhGsg

Other urls found in this thread:

forgeworld.co.uk/en-ES/Cerastus-Knight-Lancer
forgeworld.co.uk/en-ES/Kytan-Daemon-Engine-of-Khorne
acrylicosvallejo.com/en_US/security
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

Ok /wip/, i dont really like the chains in kharn so im trying to change them. Do you think it makes the trick, or the unmodified model looks better?

I'll start!

What are your projects, what are you working on?

This beauty needs more cleaning and sanding but she's lovely.

Painting my Bloodstoker but goddamn I hate Gorthor Brown highlights. For some reason they always look messy and takes ages to clean up.

Modded looks way better, but have the hanging bit swat a bit with the motion of the rest of the model

one down two to go but already i hate panel highlighting

need parts ideas.

next project is going to be an Imperial knight that I want to do actually holding a shield and sword in hands. No idea where to get hands from, the thunderstrike gauntlets would be comically huge holding weapons i think.

is their any mini with hands that would scale well with a knight. Or will scratchbuilding be my better option.

Meaby you can use the cerastus knight hand?

forgeworld.co.uk/en-ES/Cerastus-Knight-Lancer

Or the axe hand of one of this:

forgeworld.co.uk/en-ES/Kytan-Daemon-Engine-of-Khorne

Deathwatch.

5 bikes, 5 terminators, 20 veterans 15 vanguards, a razorback, blackstar, dreadnought and the overkill team.

It's daunting, hell I don't evne know what loadout to go with so I've done most infantry up armless.

>tfw you're trying to order some hobby supplies and one item you need is out of stock
>tfw you wait for it to come in stock
>tfw then when it does, one other item you wanted that was in stock is now out of stock

holy fuck, just put the damn order in you twat

Working on my kabalite trueborn today, using the cloaks from the black ark corsairs and some helmets from the reaver jet bike kit, hoping they dont look retarded.

Mostly just basecoats and washes but working on the skin now.

Hey guys, I made a thing

Custodes Warder done! Except for the base obviously. now to do 4 more.

Link to the last thread because OP is a fucking doofus that doesn't know how to link it.

It looks unfinished.
>lacks highlights, one is not enough.
>lacks shading
>lacks gem detail
>lacks a good color scheme
Custodes are the golden hand of the Emperor of Mankind, and your color scheme is not doing them justice.

you should probably paint the lenses, but it looks pretty rad other than that.

The shade absolutely helped. Gave it a hell of a lot more definition. As for the free-handing letters, they're a tiny bit wobbly but I don't think anyone's going to give you too much shit over that. Looks good, hombre.

Post a picture larger than 480x270 so people can actually make out the fucking details. For washes the answer is usually Agrax Earthshade or a similar dark brown. Yeah, I know, it sounds like a cop-out but I'm not joking. Only use black, like Nuln Oil/Badab Black, on bare steel or iron, or if you're recess-shading a grey or something like that. For something with greens like your tank, it wouldn't look right covering all of it.

As for rain streaks, I don't have much experience with it, but I'd say use some sort of off-white or cream color. The reason I imagine he's using white in that video is because, compared to the tan of the tank destroyer, the dirt appears much lighter. Kinda' like when you wipe dust off of a dark surface with a white rag or towel; on the dark surface the dust looks white-ish or grey, but on something actually white it looks black/dark grey. Try looking in the paint guide MEGA for the "How To Paint Tanks" book, as well. It's got some useful advice.

Got near to finishing my Lord of Skulls but got distracted by a new box of raptors. Also need to finish Kharn's pistol arm and assemble some ice skaters ready for a tournament on Sunday

Gilding on the chest and belt, as well as the grips of the glaive and his loincloth, look a little too flat. Gold on the glaive looks pretty good, the hair is the best part of the whole thing, Most of the paint looks a little too thick, though.

Need to touch up a vehicle then I'm doing a Guard squad. Yes, just one. I don't have a massive backlog unlike you nerds. The only problem is that my 3/0 brush recently passed on, so I'm waiting to get new brushes before I move on.

Made a Knight-Errant for my Shattered Legion. Afraid to paint the eyes as I am shit at doing eyes.

This looks awful. What is wrong with the standard scheme? Im afraid this comes of as "edgy".

I dont know what context they exist under, but they are a canon scheme for the custodes apparently, I prefer the big boys in gold myself, Im sure they do edgy shit for the Emprah.

>I'm seeing some serious Heresy over here

Your thing looks good. Deathwing? The warm tone and shadows work really well.

They basically the most guardiest of guards.

In the only leaked half page about them, they're a rarely seen cadre who guard the deepest vaults, laboratories, prisons for the emperor. Basically the last line of defence, for really bad shit getting out (or in). In the tiny blurb this particular warder holds off a swarm of thousands of daemon possessed humans on prospero. Even building a wall of bodies several times his height.

You're giving me ideas for making use of my old plastic Champ...

Also, oftentimes it looks better to simply shade the area of the eyes than paint them in. If the mini has a squinty expression, just paint the lids then wash em.

Otherwise, standard procedure is paint a dark base (dark brown/black), dot on white, then dot on black. Just takes a bit of practice

>too flat

Do you mean more shading, or a brighter silver-gold highlight? Or both.

The loincloth needs a stronger highlight, and the gold... I'm not 100% because I didn't see it before highlights, but I think they may have overwhelmed it. I'd say try to add some shading to it, yeah. I think the gold on his legs might benefit from a bit more shading as well.

Thats pretty metal.

I'm probably just stupid but I'm looking through the assembly sheets for the Mortarch (going to assemble Neferata but that's not the point of this post) and on the first instruction there's a symbol with what looks like a paintbrush.

Basically, I'm not sure what it means as it's not in the symbol explanation box on the page before. I think it means paint before you glue it in but I want clarification before I do that especially since I've heard that painted surfaces don't glue well with plastic glue.

Anyone know what it means? Again, I'm probably being stupid asking this but I just want to make sure. I'm not building it yet though, was just reading through to get accustomed to how it's built to make the process easier when I actually do build it.

Post it. Otherwise, no fucking idea what you're talking about.

why are HH yiffs a different grey?

Bulk work.

Bizarre that it's not on the front page at the very bottom. I just looked through all my shit and I can't find anything similar. I think you might be right on the nature of it, telling you to paint the piece before inserting it. Only other guess would be they're telling you to apply glue with a brush, but that seems far less likely.

Sorry I couldn't be of more help, bruv.

Are these books any good. Are they worth it for a slightly above average painter who wants to improve.

Does vallejo airbrush primer have solvents in it?

I think it's more airbrushing than anything else but this is 2nd hand information.

acrylicosvallejo.com/en_US/security
Try google next time. It's really not that hard to find.

yes. those kinds of books work wonders at learning little techniques. honestly, anyone wanting to improve and has money to spare/waste should look for mini mentor tutorials, those masterclass books, etc, simply because they show you how great mini painters work, and how they do things that you won't just find on a blog.

What do you guys think about my Nurgle fella's?
Haven't decided on a base theme yet.
Any critique or comments are highly welcome as I'm new to the painting business!

Someone in the previous thread asked for FW inspiration. Here's a LR Prometheus I recently finished.

So they don't have solvents in them?

Would love some critique and comments regarding the sores and blood on this chap.

It has extensive tutorials looking at two-tone priming, and just his general process of painting. I own both, and they're quite useful in my opinion.

This Lord of Nurgle is WIP, as is (obviously) his Palanquin. What do you guys think of it?
What is good, what's atrocius, and what can be improved?

I'd imagine not. The most dangerous things in acrylic paint for models is probably the pigment. Some of the blues and greens.

Thanks guys. I'm gonna go ahead and order them and see how I get on.

I like his big fatty poo poo arm.

poo poo arm?

>LOOK AT THIS CRISIS BISHOP

look at his fingernails no way he aint ass diggin.

>/WIP/ DOES NOT WANT DIS SICKNESS

Ah, it's meant to suggest that he scratches his sores and thus get's all manners of juicy nurgly lovelyness on their to further poison his opponents. Granted the colour doesn't come off that way on the photo...

*there god damn it!
Should he perhaps put his hand deeper?

>what can be improved?
Put a Sonichu medallion on him.

Cool idea, he is suitably disgusting, good job.

Hey now, its Christian love day

Not even Nurgle's champions are that degenerate!

Thanks mate! Here's a more enlightened picture of him.

Anyone got that image of a black armoured Visarch that someone posted a few threads back?

Progress on BoP set. Waiting on magnets and parts for termies and custodians, seemed a shame to just ignore the swords and shields and the tartaros termies didn't really correspond to Sekhmets very well so had to order some 40k scarab termie swords.

Sorry, didn't realise how atrociously gargantuan the photo was.

Awesome!
Yours is awesome too, especially your weathering and basing.

Do people use watercolors ever? Is it worth experimenting? Is it even possible?

Paint iris dot, then the 'white', then the skin. I have no advice on eyeliner for figs. my Slaanesh Daemonettes are purchased painted or hired out.

Your panel highlighting is so crisp. I'm having some problems (overthinned the paint so it's very runny) with mine so I try fake it by thinning the lines a bit with the base color. It's closer to what you've done on the burst cannon on the right, than anything you've got going on with the rest of the model. Speaking of which, redoing it later given your skills could only be beneficial.

I dont think ive ever heard about people using watercolors, but I have seen plenty use oil paints. its unrelated, but another way.

I was watching a video where a guy was talking about "experimenting" with painting, and "using watercolors" was one of the random examples he threw out. But I can't find anything when searching.

I'll look up oil paints. Is that similar to gauche? I have always used acrylics, but I've gotten my girlfriend interested, and she mostly works with that shit.

I'd imagine it's possible; watercolor paints are sort of naturally transparent though, you'd want to paint on a white/bright undercoat. I've seen people do quick datk skin tones with brown and sepia inks, I'd imagine wayercolors would give similar results.

Not for the early or adequate painter, most of this is useful once you've had the sophomore realization that you're not any good and need to step it up. Most painters hope to get good enough for this to help. Having owned the first, its over my pay grade. I gave mine to a painter I use. He painted my Slaanesh Blood Bowl team for free.

Seen it done
1-white base primer
2 bright color scheme, do not overlap, may take several coats
3-watch the edges
4-No! Seriously watch the edges!
5-Seal with matte
6-Do high skilled edging to set off colors and cover where the paints go too mixed
7-use ribbons, etc to cover mistakes, yes, they will appear
8-Seal in gloss so they're easier to clean
9-kill the first person to handle with anything but fresh scrubbed hands, the rest will learn
10-Enjoy having a unique look to your figures

A fellow 25ish years back did this with his Grey Knights and they were magnificent. In a local game tourney, the best painted army was given a final 6+ save for armor and he got the bump 2 of 3 times. Crappy paint jobs and not fully painted figures lost a point of Toughness. Alas, he never made the final cut. Pretty figures, though...

>Do people use watercolors ever? Is it worth experimenting? Is it even possible?

I studied watercolour under Elizabeth Yarosz-Ash when I was in college. Watercolours are meant to be used on special paper which is really more akin to stiff cloth or "paper" currency that the wood-pulp-derived paper you load into your printer. I'd bet that the pigments and most certainly the binding agents - many of which are made from eggs - would not work on 28mm models they way that purpose-designed hobby paints like Citadel and Vallejo are.

Watercolours and oil colours is sometimes used for washes, but not real painting.

I've been taking Lithium for a few weeks now. My hands shake so badly I can hardly write. All of my dreams of painting and assembling beautiful miniatures have died.

Don't take your steady hands for granted Veeky Forums

I've seen a tutorial of someone using a watercolour wash at the end of the process to put black lines in the recesses then wiping off the unwanted colour from the raised area (similar to oil washes but with water instead of turps). He used gloss varnish then a matte coat to seal it afterwards so I'd hope it was reasonably well protected, but hard to know for sure. I shall stick to acrylic and oil washes.

Just washes and base coats, need to rework her eye too. Still need to finish base as well. Can't wait to stick her with my assault blood angels for overwatch denial hijinx

Is that a Condemnor Boltgun (bolter-stake crossbow combi-weapon) she's carrying?

the fact that it's a nurgle mini makes it even funnier

Yes. Yes it is.

Did you skip washes on the left arm?

Yes. Yes it is. Yeah, still wip. Only base costs on that arm so far

I really wish I hadn't forgotten to order my base colour for the metallics, whoops

Anyone got suggestions/examples of terrain? I play Ironjawz and will probably make a big command tent, but other than that, I can't figure out what to make.

Alright, question: Any of you got an idea how to make a net like a retiarius would have used from scratch? I'm not good enough with greenstuff and even th thinnest plasticard rods are way too fat.
I'm working on a stormcast hero for Hinterlands and I'd like him to wield net and trident, but I am kinda stumped when it comes to the net.

Oh shit that takes me back

Hey /WiP/,

I'm interested in starting to paint up n imperial guard force of Veeky Forums's Hua Yuan Exterminators. I'm pretty confident I can manage the black flak and teal fatigues, but does anyone have any ideas on how to do the neon graffiti scrawls all over their armor? I'm also planning on adding some Leman Russ Executioners in black with the same graffiti scrawls all over them and the Chimeras. Grateful for any ideas, I'm pretty excited about this project.

Emperor's Teeth, user! Get out of my mind!

Buy a strainer and cut it.

>Any of you got an idea how to make a net like a retiarius would have used from scratch?

From scratch? Don't the Dark Eldar have models with nets on them already?

Freehanding it would probably be your best bet. For the tanks with bigger scrawls you can probably print and cut out a stencil, tape it to the armour panel you want to scrawl on and save time that way.

I was more wondering about what paint or paints I would use to achieve that effect. Once I knew that, I was just gonna freehand little scrawls like you see people do on purity seals, but in a neon kind of look.

ARBCO? Isn't that the chemical company that has its headquarters in Springfield?

Gotcha. Nothing in the Citadel range seems quite eye-burningly offensive enough, but Vallejo's Squid Pink and Warlord Purple might do something for you. I would maybe basecoat the panels metallic, or at least trace the designs out first with something shiny before layering the pink or purple on to get that gleaming neon effect.

Alternatively if you're feeling particularly adventurous neon and UV paint is sold by fancy dress shops and stores that cater to hippies and ravers. It would be hilarious if your models literally glowed in the dark, but you would need to be very, very careful with how you apply it.

Bought a cheap ass Tamiya german halftrack mini and looted it. Hated the look of GW´s own trukk, and i like this way better