Hey guys, I have a character that I am having trouble role playing...

hey guys, I have a character that I am having trouble role playing. He is a Dragonborn barbarian who has no concept of death. Fights and all that, but he believes that everything he hits just falls asleep, not actually die. He doesn't even know what the word death actually means, to him it is just another word for sleep.

Pic is basically him, except blue and with a great axe

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=1byycwl8qgc
youtube.com/watch?v=SEtG7Vb38w4
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

Reminds me of "fluffies" and their "forever sleepies" which is terrible.

You're a terrible person user

I'm not sure that's actually possible for a thinking creature. Where does he think the meat he eats comes from? If he knows it comes from animals, then he has to understand that they were killed so they could be cut up and cooked, right?

What is his int, I mean if you cleave someone in two with a greataxe, it's very different from someone just falling asleep.

>How conceptually does he imagine their sleep?
>How in barbaric life was he not familiarized with the concept of death?
>What if someone explains the concept of death to him?

His Int is 5
since all his life he fought almost exclusively monsters, who to him all look the same, he just thinks they wake up every time and find him again
He is also very hardheaded, and if he starts to believe him it is almost engraved in stone in his head

It not him, Damn autocorrect

So them would you say its more that he refuses to accept the concept of death, because that would mean he is a. a dealer of death and b. capable of dying/defeat.

Even animals with int 1-3 know what death is and try to avoid it.

Your concept is dumb, user.

Yeah, like deep, deep down he knows but he doesn't actually accept it

Maybe he thinks sleeping is also dying. He forces himself wake, sorrow when party members sleep and tries to wake them, just to praise the gods for being revived every morning.

To be honest I had like five minutes to think up some traits and I just listed that down

Maybe he just fought a LOT of trolls?

That's a fucking retarded idea for a character mate.

OP, I mean I want to help you, but is right, its a pretty dumb idea

Maybe then you could go the ignorant route.

>Enemies he fought were demons that were just sent back to the lower plains upon defeat only to return.
>He now believes thats what happens to everything.
>Rather than sleeping they just go away and comeback from somewhere.

Still its not a super strong RP quirk.

Yeah, but again it was last minute character development and I couldn't think of anything else at that time

This is about the only way to make your idea work OP. Just land of trolls.

A lot of animals in his childhood were "put to sleep", and they were "taken to the farm". He saw first hand how things were "put to sleep". Combine this with his retardation he genuinely thinks that those who die are simply taken away when out of sight. He likely has seen bodies get carried off. Combine this with the fact that most generic monsters tend to look very similar, he probably thinks that he's smashed the same goblin's skull in multiple times, reinforcing this belief.

Are you stuck with it? Can't you just have someone explain the concept in terms the character would understand?

Like I said inHe is very hardheaded, to the point where it would require some ground shaking revelation to get it truly through to him.

Reminder that there are grown adults out there who believe various myths about health, sex, food, the world, animals, and Veeky Forums even when it could be proven otherwise with a tiny bit of effort on their part.

Remember how people thought that sage + image cancelled out sage, even years after the alleged bug was fixed?

Plus I don't want to just say"oh he knows what death is" without a reason

What about what I said? He understands death, but not its finality or absoluteness.

I could see that, he could be like Where he can't tell between regular sleep and actual death.

I'm liking this as well

youtube.com/watch?v=1byycwl8qgc

ok since we've all already agreed this is retarded and OP you're a terrible human being for trying to make some stupid lol so randumb dnd character xD, lets look at how you could even have something similar.
WHAT IF you character was literally retarded, and grew up reading lots of pulpy garbage novels about magical knights and stuff, and in these shounen-esque novels, the knighs never really die, but live to fight another day, and maybe even enjoy losing from time to time and become friends.
your characters grip on reality is questionable, so he thinks that when he kills people, they'll appear "next episode" or later on in the "series", and live to fight another day. In fact, he honestly thinks he might be helping out villains by showing them the wrongs they commit through combat, and some of them might even join his friend/family later on.
In reality, hes just wholesale slaughtering mooks, but to him, he imagines life is like sir naffy, the brave but young but huge for a 12 year old knight who travels around the country fighting demons.
He understands the concept of death, but just thinks that his life is like a story, not like reality.

Take another five minutes and try again.

No seriously, Everyones ignoring how amazing this idea is
"I am from the land of trolls, I have spent my life cleaving my foes to tiny cubes ONLY TO WATCH THEM GET BACK UP! i kill it, best i can get is freedom till tomorrow when it tracks me down for killing it, I thought it only applied to the big ones, the monsters, but then he met The Pale Man, and cut him into tiny cubes too! and he just turned into mist THEN CAME BACK THE NEXT NIGHT! Death is not permenant, those times it hasn't come back it simply learnt the first time, it doesn't want to spend 6 months solid being beaten to sleepytimes"

And so you have a character with no concept of permenant death, gets K'O'd in a fight? "i died and then got back up, just like everyone else" Someone dies, They will get up *Hate filled stare into the distance* They Always Get Up

Bonus, this covers the "i clove him in half with a great axe, so that means it'll be a whole day before he gets back up!"

Bonus Bonus, the reason you "bury the dead" is to inconvenience them when they wake up and make them take longer to get up and start tracking you down, Plus they may opt against it if you buried them deep enough.

>hey guys, I have a character that I am having trouble role playing. He is a Dragonborn barbarian who has no concept of death. Fights and all that, but he believes that everything he hits just falls asleep, not actually die. He doesn't even know what the word death actually means, to him it is just another word for sleep.

youtube.com/watch?v=SEtG7Vb38w4

So basically Chappie

>we've all
Speak for yourself, fucknugget.

Retarded.

Your character is retarded.

>To be honest I had like five minutes to think up some traits and I just listed that down

You should just give up this hobby if you're too fucking lazy to *think*.

I can attest personally, that there is no level of "lolrandumb" that cannot be awesome if taken 100% straight and just hammed into being reasonable,
For example mr "death isn't forever"
Other foes include, That Damn Lich, any given Outsider with access to an ally with Gate or Call*type* powers, Plant monsters sent by Druids (being thus functionally endless in number)

The list goes on and on and on, and they always come back, thus how can death be permanent if nothing Ever STAYS dead?

This whole film felt like a rerun of short circuit 2
I fucking love short circuit 2