Why not use digital ten-thousand-sided dice?

Why not use digital ten-thousand-sided dice?

The added gradation could allow for greater subtly of outcome.

Because you don't need that kind of granularity when it comes to a game. You need clear, concise results.

The game is slow enough without using a microscope and a spirit level to read the numbers.

I'd rather use real dice. They're fun to roll. Also, most people don't think a

Because that would be crossing the line from traditional game to video game. We use digital tools for convenience, but the limitations are part of the charm.
Your bait is also weak because some traditional games DO use different colored d10s to allow 10 000 possible results. You could've earned more (You)s by suggesting virtual dice of arbitrary size to get a number between 1 and the stat with no maximum.

Why not just play video games?

d100 and percentage values is all that I ever need to resolve any situation.

I also stopped using physical dice long ago because they're a pain in the arse to handle and keep track off.

Learn to read, retard.

>virtual dice of arbitrary size to get a number between 1 and the stat with no maximum
Maybe I'm understanding this wrong, but wouldn't this penalize you for having higher stats by giving you a lower chance of rolling your maximum?

first post, best post.

Why don't you write us a sample lookup table for use with a d10k?

you mean... 4d10? It's only when you start rolling d100,000s that physical dice rolling for large numbers becomes awkward.

(and shadowrun players roll more dice than even that when their characters go for a shit)

>Why not use digital ten-thousand-sided dice?
Because to some the point of rpg is not needing fuel other than pen ink

Nah, be easier to just use a simple roll-under system, PC stats starting from 5,000, dubs count as crits, trips allow you to increase a stat/skill.

Yeah but your goal isn't to roll the maximum, it's to simply roll higher.
Someone with a Strength of 3 can roll a 3 about 33% of the time. And while someone with the strength of 6 can roll a 6 only 16.666% of the time, they will still be able to get something BETTER than a 3, 50% of the time.

>They're fun to roll.
pretty much that
an app in a phone has little appeal, if you could package the digital random number generator in an appealing package that can be interacted with physically (not necessarily a die form) then perhaps people would like it
then again you have to nail it very precisely or else you end up with stuff like Golem Arcana and that TCG game which used the playstation camera to overlay shit on the cards
tl;dr make it look cool and feel good and not just paste unnecessary tech to a good solution

Most people playing d% games don't even use numbers below 5

I like the sound of this system... is that wrong?

I think there's a system like that I can't remember what it was called.
Your stats are measured in what die you roll: Like your strength rating is literally written down as 1d4, 1d6, 1d8, 1d10, or 1d12

Ryuutama does that.

Dogs in the Vineyard too iirc.

Dogs does it better than ryuutama of course.

Numbers are by definition concise.

The numbers aren't what needs to be concise. It's the results.

Savage Worlds does that

>not using physical ten-thousand-sided dice

you could use something more like 3d6 so you have a more possible result rarer ones