ITT: MTG Pet Cards

Post cards that you continue to play even though you know that they aren't the best.

Could be for any format.

Other urls found in this thread:

tappedout.net/mtg-decks/throwem-overboard/
mtggoldfish.com/metagame/pauper#paper
magic.wizards.com/en/articles/archive/feature/eldritch-moon-mechanics-2016-06-27
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

I don't have any yet, I just started playing last year, but I have a soft spot for my Gnarlwood Dryad, since it's my B/G Delirium's deck main resource to deal with my problems together with Rabid bite and Nature's way.

I just got back into Magic for this set and as soon as I saw this card I fell in love with it. To me it totally encapsulates what Black is all about that I try to fit it into every one of my decks.

Survival rule 781: There are always more scute bugs.

It's simple, cheap, can go in any deck and while it won't kill your opponent it will keep you alive.

Replacement effects are fun.

This plus Rancor all day.

It's so shitty in practice but the flavor tastes sooooo good

I don't think I have the heart to exile my opponents skeleton. I just can't do that to someone.

one-two punch

But user, everybody is already doomed. Might as well put them out of their misery.

No one ever see's it coming in my modern Death & Taxes. I've had some amusing moments where my opponents keep mana up to pay for Leonin Arbiter's effect just so they can crack their fetch successfully. Then surprise! There's a second one.

MY NAME IS CUBAN PETE
I'M DA KING OF DA RRRRUMBA BEAT
AND WHEN I PLAY THE MARACAS THEY GO CHICK CHICKYBOOM CHICK CHICKYBOOM

This motherfurcker is in my dreams

Don't vials do this better?

this is my favorite magic card

Typically yes. However, I like that this isn't a dead draw past turn 5 since you can draw a card off it.

Ignore wall of omens. This blink combo is BY FAR my favorite combo. I've played it in standard, modern, commander and kitchen table since it came out.

one...
two, punch.

Wins games occasionally.

I forgot my pic.

I like playing Duel Commander. It's not a very popular format but I love it because of the challenge of building a consistent 100-card singleton deck while not having to worry about politics, hurt feelings, or the usual pettiness that goes hand in hand with group EDH.

And even though I'm fairly competitive and like to make my deck run as smoothly as possible I will ALWAYS find a way to run this guy if I'm playing red. Most of the time he does nothing and is a terrible draw.

And then sometimes he wins the game all by himself.

Love this little bastard.

I'm working on a goofy-ass deck packed full of pet cards
tappedout.net/mtg-decks/throwem-overboard/

>3 mana to draw a single card

Wow real powerful. Also it doesn't work the way you think it works unless you already have a Ghostly Flicker in the yard, the one you cast is still on the stack when Archaeomancer's ability triggers.

Pic related because its so versatile and fun to use. Thragtusk is one of the main reasons I like it so much.
Here's my deck. The idea is to use the shard to ramp/cascade into half the deck and then beat down with the creatures and/or Rude Awakening.

2 Brainstorm
4 Lightning Bolt
4 Explore
4 Sylvan Caryatid
4 Cultivate
2 Eternal Witness
2 Shardless Agent
2 Crystal Shard
4 Bloodbraid Elf
2 Rude Awakening
2 Thragtusk
2 Primeval Titan
1 Kessig Wolf Run
7 fetches
18 other lands

Thoughts/suggestions welcome

>It's not a very popular format but...
wtf are you talking about? Just how much of a special snow flake are you trying to be? It's a mainstream and popular format. Nothing special about you or the fact that you play it. This card is fucking garbage and id feel bad to actually see such a shitty piece of cardboard on the same table as my deck. I despise your whole being.

My oh my. You're just a ray of sunshine aren't you user. I'm sorry if someone hurt you.

>the one you cast is still on the stack when Archaeomancer's ability triggers.

But wouldn't you not choose a target for Archaeomancer until the spell has fully resolved? At that point ghostly flicker is in the graveyard.

It works better with Peregrine Drake. And it works because that combo terrorized Pauper. You blink out Mancer and the Drake, you get flicker back, float and get infinite mana. Then you hit your opponenent with an X spell. You're in blue, so you get brainstorm, ponder and preordain, so you basically draw your deck until you get your X spell. It was fucking retarded. Even if they had counter spell, you could just use counterspell or daze against them, or spellpierce. Pauper is a weird format

Any non-mindsculptor jace. I just think he's neat.

Judge's familiar too

Pauper is just Legacy Lite, and it's great fun. I have 12 pauper decks I use to teach newer people how to play, and you can usually find a deck for everyone in pauper.

fuck yeah pauper

Either pic related or pack rat

but that's wrong you tard. archaeomancer's ability wont be able to trigger and go on the stack until flicker is finished resolving and in the GY.

I really want to make an Ishkanah edh deck, but am fully aware of how impossible it is to make her good. I also will never stop loving Shield Bearer, I don't care what everyone says.

Vial wins you games by doubling your mana usage and being uncountable, unless you mean that acts as vial 5-8

>can go in any deck

Really? Enjoy playing elixir aggro.

>the turn two, turn four punch

I like ramping and taking extra turns, then using that turn to take another one.
Current standard allows me to "Awaken my Masters".

People give me shit because it's actually a decent card but I really like land stuff.
Gitrog Monster, Tireless Tracker, Traverse the Ulvenwald, everything from both zendikars with landfall and caring about lands

I've been thinking about throwing together a bunch of pauper decks just to have like a complete magic "boardgame" in a box. But I don't really know much about the Pauper meta, what 4-8 decks would you recommend to give me a good spread of different archetypes with fun and interactive matchups against each other?

or
fucking boomerang.

sometimes mist raven if other players get all pushy on me.

that cards' won me more games of EDH than people care to admit

It'ss mostly just anti snyergy in very graveyard based decks, and meh in others.

mtggoldfish.com/metagame/pauper#paper

check out borborygmos enraged. makes for a fun land graveyard deck. especially when you discard 6 lands, already had some in the graveyard, then creeping renaissance for lands

magic.wizards.com/en/articles/archive/feature/eldritch-moon-mechanics-2016-06-27
>You can always cast a spell with emerge by paying its mana cost as normal. If you've got seven mana available, you have yourself a shiny new Eldrazi Hippogriff.
Cute

Bug Plant is Best Plant

Aw It's a goyf's baby cousin.