I'm new

I'm new

Someone explain Magic The Gathering to me

Find a local store or club that plays. Download duels of the planeswalkers and play that.

It's a waste of money where you give your hard-earned shekels to the happy paper merchant who gives you a shrink-wrapped pack of 15 or how ever many cards that have a completely arbitrary value that you can then use in a deck of 45+ more of them against autists with more money and time than sense or personality.

It's not worth it OP. Get into something less expansive and more fulfilling.

Even for a hater you sound super poor and uninformed as shit

>gives you a shrink-wrapped pack of 15
lul buying boosters in 2017.
You sound like some beta faggot who got his ass handed to him too many time at to many games. Git gud or stay salty.

I wont waste my time on you. Look it up, it's a fun hobby. listen to that guy:

Report bait threads.

You just proved him right you know, by claiming that the traditional way to play and collect cards is wrong. Doing research and being superior to normalfags is the autist's path in life.

Magic is an awesome game. If you live in eugene oregon, I'll teach you how to play.

It's a game where you never stop learning new rules and mechanics. I played in tournaments for about 5 years, but now I am more interested in casual kitchen table magic. I think the best way is to buy card sleeves and print high quality proxies, that way you can play with whatever cards you want without paying a bunch of money for them.

I get a pretty decent amount of hate for that approach, but once you find a group it is really fun to play this way.

It's a pyramid scheme. The more cards you buy, the better chance you have of winning.

And, because the keep changing the rules and introducing new cards, you can never stop buying new cards.

I wish I'd invented it. Then again, I'm a fairly moral person.

that's not a pyramid scheme you dumbo

It's a hobby, and like any hobby you'll want to spend money on it. The game really only gets expensive if you try to build the most popular decks, but I'd just focus on what you think would be fun and play casual games with a group of friends.

Corvallis here, Eugene sucks.

"Like Hearthstone, but more detailed, wonkier, and infinitely more expensive."

You have a deck of cards. Players take turns, and on your turn you can play one land card if you have one, play as many cards as you can afford the cost of, and attack the other player once. The cost of a card is basically the number of lands you need to spend for the turn, so ideally you want to be able to play a land each turn, but having more than that doesn't help you. Similarly, having a ton of mana doesn't help much if all your cards are super cheap, and having expensive cards doesn't do anything until you can get the lands out to actually use them.

Attacking consists of declaring which of your creature cards are attacking, followed by the defender declaring which of his creatures are blocking which of yours. Then the attackers and defenders deal damage to each other (killed creatures are removed, wounded ones regen all health at the start of their owner's turn), and any unblocked attackers deal damage to the enemy wizard (that is, player) directly. Whoever runs out of HP first loses.

Being a CCG, of course, there are a ton of utterly ridiculous cards and combos, things that break or change the rules in various ways, and so on.

I don't think the mods would appreciate me reporting the entire board, user.

>I'm 12 and what is this
MTG is a PvP card game hobby.
Highly engaging, highly competitive, and boasts a playerbase of over 10 million.
It's over 20 years old now, started in 1993, and there are many old cards that have value much in the way classic Baseball/Basketball cards do. Due to the price bracket that would put on the game, most of these classic cards are sectioned off in older divisions, known as 'formats.'
The game is constantly updated and rebalanced with the release of new sets, and the game's design and development staff are much more open and communicative than you'll see in other companies.
As a new player, you can play in formats that use newer cards.
One format in particular, called Standard, is the go-to 'jumping on' point for most newcomers.
You can likely find a local Magic store / Local Game Store (or LGS) near you to learn more/try getting started.

It's probably the most childishly fun game to play if the other person is also excited about it. Really cool stuff.

He's asking about MtG, not YuGiOh

its not worth getting into
its fun, but not enough fun for the price you'll have to pay to play in the metas at most card shops unless you already know people who play casually and cheaply

Not even normalfags buy boosters after they find out they are slot machines. LGS and secondary market sellers are the ones who buy and open almost every booster to sell singles.

You play as a "planeswalker". Your goal is to defeat other "planeswalkers".
You cast spells, summon creatures, etc.
It's a strategic card game.

There are three basic "formats", with variations.

>Constructed
You build a 60 card deck of your choice.
>Edh/commander
You build a 100 card deck of your choice and have a special creature you can access repeatedly.
>Limited
You build the best deck you can, using limited card access.

Most of what determines who wins in constructed is who built the better deck. This means each constructed format tends to have a fairly small number of competitive decks, and building a competitive deck tends to be expensive.

Commander is less predictable, and a combination of deck building, strategy, and politics determines who wins. It also tends to be expensive.

And in limited, it's deck building plus strategy, and everyone is on a playing field, making it more a matter of skill than money.

Personally,
I've gotten out of regular constructed, and play a variant of edh with both ban lists, and price limits to level the playing field better.
As for limited, I play with cubes (which are reusable drafting sets), but a regular draft is fun, albeit like $20 per person each time you play.

The business model favors collectors and hoarders, not players.

>Playing with high quality printed proxies is better than buying cards.

Can confirm. Using price restrictions of different sizes and different set restrictions also gives you different metagames, keeping the game from going so stale.

Good for building a cube on the cheap, too.

Buying boosters is a waste of money if you're playing constructed sets. They're only good if you're playing limited.

Draft/Sealed is what boosters are for.
They're also the best competitive formats.

Standard/Modern/Legacy/Vintage is not only a pay to win game, it's also repetitive and dull as fuck to play.

EDH is fun only if you use both banlists and mostly because of the less predictable draw and group politics.

If you want to build something, OP, build a cube or draft set, and play that.

Booster drafts are okay if you're fine with paying like $20 for the day's entertainment.

If considering constructed, stick to EDH, and only if the group you play with uses both banlists. The fast mana in regular EDH makes the matches too much about who ramps up first, and it gets too repetitive.

Finally, high quality color proxies on sleeved 110lb cardstock is much cheaper than hunting down printed copies of the competitive cards, and it's just as good for casual play.

If you're entering into some kind of edh tournament (because again, standard/modern/legacy/vintage are shit), then be prepared to buy an expensive deck of cards.

Imagine, if you will, you're a mage. A grand and powerful mage. Deep inside you burns a Spark, the ever flowing source of your power which allows you to jump into alternate dimensions with the most minimal of efforts. Every new plane brings you new adventures where you encounter exotic beasts, uncover mysterious spells, and battle fellow makes like yourself. Where will you go? What will you learn? And more importantly, who will you recruit to your aid?
Ultimately, it doesn't matter, because the literal, actual Justice League flies around swiping all the spotlight and glory. Especially this one scrawny, pretentious, punk in a blue hood. Fuck that guy.

>Especially this one scrawny, pretentious, punk in a blue hood
Let's be real here; Jace is the weakest member of the Gatewatch with the least amount of actual accomplishments and he's been defeated by nearly everyone he's fought.

But he gets shilled in like every set, and some of his cards have been stupid broken.

He's also about as interesting as soggy toast.

Doesn't stop wizards from putting him front and center all the time. I swear he must be the favorite of some Hasbro exec's kid.

Although, to be fair, they seem to be pushing Der Elfen Uberfrau more these days. Which also upsets me.

He is something of an underdog and a very mage-y mage with robes and a hood and books and lots of arcane glowing things, so a good representative for Magic: the Gathering. He gets the whole "WE'RE WIZARDS!" thing down at a glance. So yes, he's a good posterboy.
But people really react with absurd vitriol about the Gatewatch. They've had three blocks of focus, but people act as if it's been a hundred.

because in these three blocks, they ruined two planes and introduced one of the shittiest social justice planes to date.
Also, they retconned Nissa from being a racist (bless her) to some tree-loving hippie

I don't see how Zendikar is ruined now that it's back to usual.
Depleted a little, but the next time we see the plane it's going to be the untamed monster-filled adventure world it was the first time we saw it. Isn't killing off the Eldrazi a good thing in that perspective?
We're probably never going to see Innistrad again so being bothered by that is reasonable though.

it's more that they ruined the Eldrazi set-up, who were introduced as these alien, lovecraftian entities that get wrecked in one block by a bunch of nerds

Because there arent good counters in standard. Expect the set where jace is a baller in the story to have good counters alongside a beast mode cantrip.

It's godawful shit from 1993 that is split into fifty formats and uses an outdated player-hating purchase model. Go play Netrunner, Ashes, or Epic instead.

What rattles my bones is that Sorin, Nahiri, and Ugin, three planeswalkers who were debatably more powerful and undeniably had more experience, couldn't figure out how to kill off the Eldrazi so they settled for imprisoning them.
Then, here come the four stooges, blundering in without any knowledge of what they're doing, and they kill them off with what was essentially a bunch of rocks and an oversized fireball and a one-way ticket to the Duck Tales moon level.

Never said that they could not. It was just that Ugin said 'no, those reality devouring horrors might serve some useful purpose' and the others had no desire to argue with a frickin dragon

Save up ridiculous amounts of money if you ever want to win games.

When you realize Yugioh is a pyramid scheme based on an Egyptian themed card game.

Pay lots of money. Play game. Some time passes. Most of your cards are no longer allowed in tournaments. Repeat process

>caring this much about lore

t o p k e k

Ugin could have killed them at any time though. He misled Sorin and Nahiri into believing otherwise.
He simply feared the consequences of doing so.

No, you.