/40krpg/ 40k Roleplay General

"Kill the alien before it can speak its lies." edition

For all your questions on Dark Heresy (1st and 2nd Editions), Rogue Trader, Deathwatch, Black Crusade, and Only War.
Not the wargame, not Chapter Master, not Space Hulk. Inquisitor is okay, but not many people know about it.

Not sure between starting Dark Heresy 1e and 2e? Pick 2e.

>Why did FFG lose the 40k RPG License?
Because they were bought by Asmodee and that caused some sort of licensing conflict.

>Will GW make their own 40k RPGs now?
Probably not. But if they do it will likely be worse than you could possibly imagine.

Book Repositories (If you're planning to download any Rogue Trader materials, read the .txt file in the RT directory)
mega.nz/#F!Pl0UgbJa!vDtTXMKnvZ26fUbuw4X9tg

There is a new Homebrew Megafolder option in above MEGA directory containing several things.

40K RPG tools, a site that contains stats or references for almost all weapons, armor and NPCs/adversaries. Not updated past DH2 core.
40krpgtools.com/

40k RPG Combined Armory (v6.48.161023), containing every piece of gear in all five lines. Now includes all DH2e books.
mediafire.com/folder/i3akv9qx9q05z

Mars Needs Women! (v1.2.15) (Mechanicus Skitarii and Taghmata for Only War)
mediafire.com/file/w1d6aq5cdr6anmh

Fear and Loathing in the Eastern Fringe (V1.6.4) (Playable Xenos for Rogue Trader)
mediafire.com/download/fjhddohpscx1d7x

The Fringe is Yours! (v1.8.13) (More Xenos, Knights, and Horus Heresy gear for Rogue Trader)
mediafire.com/file/d28i243u2k7di3z

Previously on /40krpg/: Which would be more beneficial to a acolyte party, Aquila Lander or Arvus Lighter? Air support or cargo room?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=nodA5bxueyo
youtube.com/watch?v=wirkuuCjLCY
soundcloud.com/flybyno/sets/endless-space-2-ost-demo-early-access
youtube.com/watch?v=Pf8tVZYXcvE
youtube.com/watch?v=Z2pGkkJUxQo
youtube.com/watch?v=WbWYdDCh6GI
youtube.com/watch?v=duWLbfhek78
youtube.com/watch?v=WoCS1ExDd9s
youtube.com/watch?v=OE8QdGdqNOU
youtube.com/watch?v=72GPFPQzqCc
youtube.com/watch?v=zsBN79ormUY
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

What is the ratio of killing to looting and how does the inquistor feel about it?

If FFG lost their license due to a licensing conflict, can they get a new one that doesn't conflict?

Two questions.
>What are some good hive world investigation hooks for Dark Heresy? Players are looking for an aside from the main plot, and I agree (carried on Edge of Darkness into my own plot)
>How's Feel No Pain mechanically represented in the RPGs, if at all? Book's not in front of me.

Any general hive hooks?

It isn't. The closes would be one of the special abilities that Plague Marines in Black Crusade get.

Specifically based on Scintilla, working for the Ordo Hereticus. We've been following a single threat for a while now, and the players want to tackle something that isn't the Logicians or their myriad backers. (No, group members who read here, I'm not spoiling who's at the top.)

Shame, but all right. Thanks.

Someone important to someone the group is in contact with or favorably deals with/likes has died or disappeared. The thing is that they were last seen at an entrance to the underhive or near highly-contested gang territory.

Battles between gangs has been going down and nobody can seem to figure out why.

Going to lose my rpg virginity tomorrow. We're going to have a warband of one sanctioned psyker, one scholar type character who accidentally touched a warp artifact and became a psyker, an untouchable assassin and an adeptus mechanicus.

How bad can it be?

>Two psykers in a party with an untouchable
My expectations cannot live up to reality.

I intend to murder him at the first convenient opportunity, probably asking the unsanctioned for help

>I intend to murder him
A fine way to start your new hobby

Does people use ambient music for your campaign? Do you think it helps or distracts?

Any recommendations/links?

to murder your ally is a pretty bad idea. Plus the psyker will be useless at best against an untouchable.

>Plus the psyker will be useless at best against an untouchable.
Being a soulless monstrosity won't protect him from a shotgun blast to the back of the head, user.

Rolled 30 (1d100)

Rolling to hit.
>+10 Standard Attack
>+30 Surprised
>+30 Pointblank
>=+60
What is your ballistic skill?

It does make him a useful and rare resource against enemy psykers, and a resource whoever is leading your warband has chosen to retain rather than order killed.

Far easier to replace anyone else than the soulless monstrosity, and you should keep that in mind when you think of shooting them in the back. A shotgun blast to the back of your character's head is just loss prevention, at that point.

>can they get a new one that doesn't conflict

Yes. They just have to stop production of Rune Wars and Star Wars, and cease being a competitor to GW

I don't think FFG will reacquire the licence. If they or GW were willing to negotiate something which fit either of them, it never would have expired.

Did you guys not talk beforehand? Untouchables in DH work different to Dan Abnett's Untouchables with their limiters and whatnot, it's literally going to be constant headaches for your two psykers.

Dark Heresy board game when?

The guy knew in advance that we'd have two psykers and he rolled an untouchable anyway

I don't feel like it's a dick move to blast him and make him reroll something less dickish

Dark heresy
My players are now following a trail on a guy who tried to kill them. He is 6 days ahead of them and knows that he is being followed.

What nasty surprises can he leave for the PC? I am out of ideas

Well where are they? Are they on a hive world, feral world, fuedal world, or just a civilized world. Where is he going to and where does the party need to track him through.

I'd recommend that the guy does a little bit of bribery to set the local enforcers against them.

>untouchable
He deserves it just for that

What am I looking at?

Strange graffiti has been popping up all over a hab-stack. The locals think nothing of it, but a local contact has recognized them as symbols of unmistakably heretical meaning, and notified the Inquisition.

Not wanting the best option (short of a Grey Knight!) for dealing with the inevitable demon summoned by the unsanctioned psyker's perils of the warp test...

Am I misinterpreting the Adeptus Astra Telepathica's special ability?

It seems to allow you to reduce a psychic phenomena roll, effectively making it impossible for an unsanctioned psyker to trigger perils of the warp as long as he's close to you. Makes for a an interesting interaction.

Kinda cheeky though, it's meant to be an role play.

Think that it's supposed to only apply to your (i.e. the sanctioned psyker's) rolls...

Having played in a party with a psyker and an untouchable, don't be so hasty. The potential for hilarity (and character development) is limitless.

I don't know. Am I supposed to ask until I find out? Do you touch type?

I think it's interesting for a sanctioned psyker keeping a wild but more powerful psyker in check

The Constant Threat: When the character or an ally
within 10 metres triggers a roll on Table 6–2: Psychic
Phenomenon (see page 196), the Adeptus Astra
Telepathica character can increase or decrease the
result by amount equal to his Willpower bonus

straight from e2 rulebook

>increase or decrease the
result
Too bad it only applies to allies; weaponizing perils of the warp would have been fun.

If you want to do that, the Q'Sal Magister Immaterial in Black Crusade can do it.

It doesn't reduce psychic phenomena by THAT much.

You'd need an entire party of astra telepathica to really make a dent in it.

>newbie Deathwatch marine faces down a Chaos Lord in Terminator Armor
>"But there was a chance!"

No there wasn't, dumbass. There was never a chance. What the fuck did you think was about to happen.

Man fuck my players

Was he a devastator?

A Tactical

What did you think was going to happen? What was the situation, beyond tactical + chaos lord terminator?

I don't regret my group one bit, but they make the dumbest decisions sometimes.

The other PCs were fighting towards a Chaos artifact through a small group of Khorne berzerkers. They were doing well and cutting through them. The Lord had spooked them earlier and sent the kill team running while he was busy outside. He was meant to be a timer for them to kill the Zerks and get to the artifact, instead the Tactical turns around as soon as the others (Assault and Apothecary) engage the Zerkers, faces off with the Lord that the entire kill team ran from a little while ago and fought to the death despite having multiple chances to run.

Well, I was hoping to glean something redeeming from that, or even a poorly timed final stand to save the group, but yeah. Sounds like he's paying homage to his spiritual liege in the ultramorons.

The whole thing was baffling and involved the two other players telling him NIGGA RUN FOR YOUR LIFE and me doing a lot of "The hulking figure dodges aside from your blow, disengaging and making space between you" until finally the Lord just straight up smashed his face in, ripped off his arm, took a bite and then curb stomped him.

I mean, once I got over the 'what the fuck is this guy doing' it was kind of funny, but man the sudden irrationality was startling to say the least.

Has anyone tried to run DH but cgabged the setting to make the Imperium America, the Emperor Trump and xenos spics? Sounds like it'd be a great idea to combat degeneracy, I'd play on that.

8/10 bait, I typed a whole reply before deleting it

I'd give it a 9/10 for the word deliberately misspelled to emulate a phoneposter, really makes it seem like real retardation.

Unfortunately the 3 /pol/ bait threads already up blow their cover.

I put on soundtracks sometimes. "Fury" is pretty good for Only War/Deathwatch, particularly during combat. I find avoiding songs with lyrics is best, and keeping the music low so everyone can hear well.
I too would like to hear people's ambient suggestions.
We once decided to blackmail an Arbites commander in order to get his aid. He refused, so we drew down on him and murdered everyone in the precinct house. Then we shot all the prisoners so there would be no witnesses.

Sounds like typical marines actually
>youtube.com/watch?v=nodA5bxueyo

Let us hope the rest of Veeky Forums is smart enough to not be baited.

On a further note, my players just finished the Red Cage opening for Tattered Fates. One player had family over from another country so his character was under, in the same pod as Karkalla (since he is carrying the symbol of the acolyte's authority (a mini rosette) he was singled out when captured) and was rescued.

Soon I will begin the middle section of the mission, but on reading the module a second time and other GM's expedience running it, although it is meant to be open there is a fairly straight forward chain of events which is the most likely to be followed.

What sort of interesting NPCs, events or mini mission have any of you sprinkled in here to spice it up? Give a chance for some good gear/thrones and maybe drop a few of the clues needed for the climax and the rest of the Legacy as a whole?

Try the music from the 40k video games and video games in general.

I enjoy ambiance in games. Background sounds add to the atmosphere and inform players to how their character react even if they don't realize, and even myself. When I had Radio New Vegas playing quietly, mostly drowned out by desert sounds during an outing to a primitive world saw the players engaging with the whole wilderness survival (gathering fire wood when they stopped their long drive for the night, the guardsmen talking about past experiences and shitty imperial MREs around the fire, the hive worlders been shown how to fish by a feudal worlder building bonds).

All the better to bring them back to grimdark with daemons, and for them to derail the mission and ignore the daemon, leaving the planet two sessions later with smug shit eating "mission accomplished" grins on their faces.

I'm this and guy, and I used a "mechanical dungeon" ambient soundtrack on tabletop audio overlaid with Nine Inch Nile's Ghosts I-IV. I think the combo of the two helps, especially when the music is a tiny bit more quiet then the ambiance.

Also used:
> Endless Space soundtrack for large, important places. Cathedrals/palaces, anything that needs to be big, grandiose and possibly holy in that imperial way.
> Ambient industrial of choice for the dark mechanical places of the worlds. The underhive or the bowels of a ship are perfect. If you want a rec, try the album above. Not entirely industrial but fits the 40k atmosphere.
> The occasional set piece with appropriate music can work, just don't allow something too distracting. Already planning to use youtube.com/watch?v=wirkuuCjLCY for an upcoming session. It has that 40k-y feel while not been instantly recognizable for any of my players.

Any chances to use anything from Endless Space 2?

I haven't played the second game, nor listened to it's soundtrack. The only time I noticed it (watching one of the teasers) it was merely using "Flawless Theory" from the first game's OST so, no.

soundcloud.com/flybyno/sets/endless-space-2-ost-demo-early-access

I'll have to use it sometime. Something about the first game's OST and the first track here hits me right for some of the grander part of 40k.

A feeling of melancholy?

How do you guys feel about homebrew? I have some relevant stuff I felt you guys would be able to critique.

It depends on what the homebrew is.

Of something grand once upon a time, with the occasional choir such as in the main theme's choir/gary version. The sci-fi is still in there though, deep in the music. Yes it's mournful.

Using Endless Legend for fantasy games was an easy choice also

It's a dozen or so talents like the masteries in Hammer of the Emperor, just to fill out some of the gaps left in Vanilla Hammer.

Post them and be judged by a jury of nameless anons.

Primary
Expertise General + WS
Primary/low-tech Weapons wielded by this character become more balanced, unwieldy weapons become unbalanced, Unbalanced weapons lose the unbalanced trait, and weapons without either of the previously mentioned special rules gain the balanced trait.

Mastery General + WS
While this character is wielding a primary/low-tech weapon he may make an extra parry with that primary/low-tech weapon. If he is dual-wielding Primary/Low-tech Weapons, he still only gets one extra parry.

Chain
Mastery
Whenever this character makes an attack with a Chain weapon , he has +1 additional pen for every Degree of Success he scores on the Weapon Skill Test beyond the first.

Bolt
Expertise
When using a Bolt weapon with the Tearing Quality,
this character rolls two additional dice for Damage (rather
than the usual one die that the Tearing Quality grants) and
discards the two lowest Damage dice results.

Mastery
While wielding bolt weapons, this character can add one to the semi-auto and Full-auto rate of fire on any bolt-weapon.

Power
Expertise
Increase chance to destroy weapons due to Power Field Quality by 10%.

Mastery
Power Weapons gain the Felling(X) Special Rule, with X being equal to half of WS Bonus.

No shame on that as EL has a really damn good soundtrack too.

Bolt mastery and power expertise both feel a bit low compared to other expertise/mastery feats.

I agree, I just don't have anything to do with either of those talents, Bolt Expertise is Chain Weapon Expertise, but for bolters, and Power Expertise is kinda just a what do I do with it.

Do you think it would be worth it on the Power expertise for it to also allow a low chance to destroy Power Weapons?

If not, you have any other tips?

Bolt Mastery is just sort of something to put there, that's why I posted it here.

Also, thanks for the feedback Anons.

For bolt mastery, maybe making RF trigger on a 9 or 10 instead of a 10, boosting RF or Crit damage by +1 or +2, or giving it some measure of the Crippling quality.

For power expertise, could give it low-tech expertise's ability too as they can be turned off to function as low-tech weapons. Just increasing the chance to destroy to 100% is also an option as an additional 10 to a 75% base is rather redundant.

Do you think that giving Bolt Weapons the Proven Quality Equal to BSBonus-1 would work for the Mastery?

Also, do you feel Low-Tech Mastery is OP?

Seems rather powerful compared to SP mastery, but can work.

It is a lesser version of Step Aside, though if you're in a situation where you need all those parry attempts, you're probably getting overrun by orks or something. It is fine, especially if it is a Tier 3 talent.

here's what i have so far:

for my psyker/telepathica character(pic related):
youtube.com/watch?v=Pf8tVZYXcvE

for Only war:
youtube.com/watch?v=Z2pGkkJUxQo
Catachans
youtube.com/watch?v=WbWYdDCh6GI
youtube.com/watch?v=duWLbfhek78
youtube.com/watch?v=WoCS1ExDd9s
Tallarn
youtube.com/watch?v=OE8QdGdqNOU
youtube.com/watch?v=72GPFPQzqCc

for stealth/espionage/sneaky characters:
youtube.com/watch?v=zsBN79ormUY

When I gave Bolt Weapon Expertise and Mastery a shot, they ended up like this.

Bolt Expertise: When the Legionary fires a Bolt weapon, he imposes a -5 penalty on Dodge tests to avoid the attack for every Degree of Success on the Ballistic Skill test.

Bolt Mastery: Bolt Weapons fired by the Legionary gain the Crippling (X) quality, where X is equal to the Legionary’s Ballistic Skill Bonus.

Expertise ended up being REALLY good. It's getting changed to -5 for every 2 DoS in the next revision.

your acolytes need to consider using modified Iron Tetrarch (named Avenger) with two Valkyries (Big Sky and Firebrand)

Sounds more suited to Only War.

What are people's thoughts on the Firewarrior class in Rogue Trader?

I'm looking at playing one and it looks rather fun.

I'm one of the acolytes (Imperial Navy Ace). Not so sure about Valks though they aren't off the table. Just wondering if cargo room would be worth it or should I just follow my heart and take the Aquila? A bet hive wenches would like the Aquila more... On the other hand, Arvus has Rugged quality, which would make it easier for my character to tune and make modifications/repairs and it's easier to get my hands one

Cargo space is worth its potential weight in gold and truesilver for transporting things in stasis or having a place to stash your powerful, subtly-destroying gear.

If you are sticking to the official rules, probably Avrus. If to other systems, RT Guncutter. If to homebrew, Valkyrie. If you can do some homebrew yourself, than recreate Spectre-pattern Valkyrie from Rob Sanders Redemption Corps.

Important to DH as well. I cant overstate the importance of Hellfury missiles during covert investigations.

Making a district for a hive world. Anyone wanna add in some fluff? Lots of room for stuff to add in.

Background:

Oceanic hive world, cities are like ultra-huge oil rigs. Rivers are one of the forms of generating power, as well as cooling for machinery etc.

This is a VWL district; variable water line. Sometimes dips below the ocean water levels, means it's pretty rough.

It won't be a 'work for the Inquisition' campaign, closer to Necromunda-lite. Being a lowlife criminal trying to make dolla in the low-hives.

The district has two main employers - the algae farm and YVC, who make climbing gear for the Imperial Guard.

Anyone wanna come up with a cool gang-boss, or location for me?

How about this hive is built on top of a massive coral reef. Harvesting this coral is outlawed as it damages the stability of the hive and could eventually cause the whole thing to collapse. However, the black market for this coral is massive, especially on other parts of the world and even off-world. So this gang, the 'Divers', are basically a coral mining and smuggling outfit that fronts as a civil engineering firm. From the Chalice District, the Divers have figured out that they can actually reach the reef through maintenance hatches in the artificial river. They're on a permanent contract with the local council, who are in on the scheme, to "repair" the river. The Divers go down, mine as much of this xeno coral as they can, and return to the surface as if nothing has ever happened. They then sell the coral on to patrons in the nobility, giving a share of their profits to those turning a blind eye.

The Gang Boss took over the engineering business from her father, an honest man. She was working one day when she found the passage to the reef. She didn't actually start out as a bad person, just wanting to help make ends meet. Now she's in too deep, running on of the biggest coral smuggling rings in the hive, constantly getting her hands bloody keeping mouths shut and competitors out. She has a lot of guilt and believes that she is too far gone to see the Emperor after death, but she loves her gang that is undyingly loyal to her. Currently, she is grooming her son to be her successor.

Dope, s'going in.

Are there any cybernetics that give you pheromones or anything to buff charm and seduction?

>anything to buff charm and seduction?

I heard the AdMech is working on some surgical augmetics along those lines...

Do you guys think that I should make Bolt-Guns righteous fury machines? If I made Righteous fury trigger on a 9 or 10, with the current expertise, it would really make it trigger quite frequently. I don't know if that would be cool or not though.

GUYS HOW DO I MIX HUMIES AND SPESS MARINES IN BLACK CRUSADE

IS IT BALANCED ALREADY

IS IT EVEN POSSIBLE

I want to say there is in black crusade, I remember using them in rogue trader because I was a chemist

Nah, not really. The SM will be gods of combat, and any social situations would need to be very well planned. The problem is that SM start with Power Armor, and a bunch of talents and traits, Humans get a craft, and not much else. They say that 500 XP makes up for it, but it really doesn't, especially with the gear some Humans start with, compared to the SM.

>When the Legionary

Huh?

Could a Rogue Trader hire a squad of Chaos Space Marines for a job?

Probably doing a Horus Heresy game using the DeathWatch rules, at least that's the only time I'd use a term like that for a PC.

Also, how do you guys feel about Bolters being Righteous Fury Cannons, no one answered before.

Define Chaos. Like actual daemon worshipers, probably not. But renegade pirate chapters exist I think

>But renegade pirate chapters exist I think
They do not.

All of them fall to Chaos quickly cause GW hates fun.

What should the favored weapons of a guerrilla/sniper/forward observation regiment be?

Traps

Dude just put all of Lustmord's stuff on Spotify, you can just play it and forget about it. Instant atmosphere builder, really well fit for 40k.

>Want to make a feudal world/heavy recon regiment as knock-off Knights
>Lose confidence in the though half-way though
>Repeat with any other regiment attempt